NC NC - Terry, 11, & Alan Westerfield, 6, Fayetteville, 12 Sept 1964

I wonder why this case is often called the oldest missing persons case in North Carolina. like in this article http://www.wral.com/missing-brothers-case-is-nc-s-oldest-unsolved-disappearance/12176586/
The brothers went missing in 1964, Diana and Mark Yoli went missing two years earlier in 1962 from Camp Lejune, NC; and Leila and Mary Rachel Bryan went missing over 20 years before either case in 1941 from Carolina Beach, NC. Anyone else find it weird that NC's oldest cases all went missing in pairs?

When it comes to the Westerfield brothers, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't their step-father who was responsible. He was the last known person to see them, be with them, and his story about dropping them off at the movies doesn't add up.

Why were these children even with their step-father (or should I call him their ex-step-father) if their mother was in the middle of a separation/divorce with him? Knowing how long their mother was married to him might be useful information, because if they were married for a while the boys grew up around him and that would make sense to why they'd still be with him. But all the things I've read about the case doesn't paint that picture, to me, anyways.

I personally believe the boys were killed earlier in the day, I read about a neighbor boy knocking on the door wanting to play with one of the boys and the step-father told him he (Terry) was in a punishment, why would he still be allowed to go to the movies if he was being punished? Maybe he was already dead when his neighbor wanted to play. The step-father no longer had responsibility or obligation to the boys anymore, and maybe wanted to get back at their mom for divorcing him?

The children were regulars at the theater they supposedly went missing from, the theater workers, who would have recognized them, didn't even see them that day (some say they did, others didn't). The theater thing was a probable alibi, waiting for someone you know isn't going to come out of the theater. It was also storming that night, another factor working in favor of the step-father. Search efforts would be delayed, and even if the boys were found evidence would have been washed away. I wonder if the police still have tabs on the step-father.

Interesting!

Regarding the friend allegedly knocking on the door asking to play with Terry and the Stepfather said he was being punished. Some questions:

1.) Was this information brought to light recently, or back around 1964?
2.) If Terry was being punished, what did he do?

I don't know if there is physical evidence to suggest that the boys were killed, but there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that the stepfather knows what happened.

Satch

I also think the boys were killed earlier in the day. The people who remembered seeing them probably had their days mixed up. Unfortunately, their mistake made it more difficult to prove the stepfather's involvement.

I agree, because they were there a lot, it made it very easy for employee's to mistake seeing them that day. Especially in the circumstance if they weren't interviewed right away, I wonder if they were. Even in being interviewed a few weeks later, it would be hard to say exactly what days you saw a regular.

Interesting!

Regarding the friend allegedly knocking on the door asking to play with Terry and the Stepfather said he was being punished. Some questions:

1.) Was this information brought to light recently, or back around 1964?
2.) If Terry was being punished, what did he do?

I don't know if there is physical evidence to suggest that the boys were killed, but there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that the stepfather knows what happened.

Satch

Question 1) I read about it in an 1995 article in the Fay Observer, which was written by a childhood friend of the boys. So it was about 30 years after they went missing.
http://www.fayobserver.com/living/s...cle_ed1f0613-eac0-58de-8484-1802a6a8dfa2.html

It's been a while since I have read it, but it was actually Alan being asking for, not Terry, and it was multiple children knocking on the door, not just one friend (my mistake in remembering).

Question 2) It also doesn't mention why he was being punished, except that he was in his room.
The article also mentions that Terry was last seen riding his bike around 1 pm, and the step-father was seen driving out of the driveway at 4 pm. The step-father says the boys went to a double-feature which makes the time frame add up (4-8 pm), but what double feature was playing that night? Does the ticket person remember seeing them?

Questions about the theater "story":

Why did the step-father arrived 15 mins early? He told them he'd pick them up at 8 pm and arrived at 7:45.
Also he waited in a no-park zone, why? Especially since he arrived 15 mins early, people usually park in no-park zones when they'll be there temporarily, like for a few minutes. Seems to me he was looking for an alibi, to verify that he actually went to the theater that night. If he was there from 7:45-9:30 like he said, someone had to of witnessed a car sitting in a no-park zone for an hour and 45 mins.
He says he was there from 7:45-9:30, what was he doing in all that time? I'd say he'd probably get impatient, unless, you know, he already knew the boys weren't coming out...
Did he ever go in the theater in this time? To ask the workers to call their names over an intercom or search for the boys?
The theater workers knew the family and their habits, why did some claim to have not seen them and others did? Another thing that doesn't add up about the theater story is that the mom was pretty strict about the boys being picked up from the theater, she told them to always wait inside and she'd come in and get them. This is why some theater workers were certain they didn't see them that night, because they knew the family and their mother's rules. http://www.wral.com/missing-brothers-case-is-nc-s-oldest-unsolved-disappearance/12176586/
The step-father would know his wife's rules about the boys waiting inside the theater when being picked up, right? What I don't understand is why the step-father waited outside for the boys, he had been married to their mother so I'm assuming he might have known about her rule about making them wait inside the theater.
The whole "oh, their mother must have picked them up" assumption seems not right to me at all. For one, would'nt he be mad if the mom picked them up without telling him? I assume he told her he was picking them up when he told her where they were at when she got off work. I'd be mad if I had to wait somewhere for an hour and 45 mins. Also wouldn't he had seen her pick them up if he was there for that long!? It seems like an opportunity to delay the investigation even further. He knew she was out with a friend, maybe even knew she'd be out a bit later. And on top of that it was storming that night, flooding and power outages due to a hurricane. I think Bock (the step father) knew what he was doing.

The uncle of the boys believes (if the Bock was responsible) that the murder was covered up because of Bock's status as a military policeman.
The mother spent some time in a psychiatric hospital after their disappearance, and the biological father of the boys committed suicide after struggling for years with depression. It's so sad.

Some useful information would be:
Why were the mother and the step-father separating? That could be telling, for example, if it was jealousy on his part that could possibly be seen as a motive. She stayed out late with a friend and her children end up missing. Maybe he assumed she was out flirting with men or something and was using her sons as pawns to get back at her. Also, if the divorce wasn't his idea at all, that could be another reason. Did he remarry since then? Were there problems in his relationships since then?
Why was he at her house with the boys that day? Did she ask him to watch them while she was at work?
Why won't he talk about their disappearance to this day? He refuses to comment about the boys, suspicious or an attempt to move on from it?
Did the step-father drop them off outside the theater or walk them to the door/inside? If by chance the step-father wasn't involved, could they have been abducted before entering the theater. (I don't really think so).

Not relevant but worth mentioning- the Westerfield brothers weren't the only sibling duo to go missing from a double-feature during this time, the Grimes sisters went missing from Brighton Theater in Brighton Park, Chicago in 1956, 8 years prior to the brothers disappearance. They were found murdered weeks later though.

Also, adding to Bock's supposed assumption about their mother picking them up (wouldn't he wonder why he never saw her there if she did?), if he left the theater with that assumption, wouldn't he try to reach her to find out for sure? also, 9;30 pm-1 am is a long time to wait for someone to get home, especially someone assumed to have children with them! I would have wondered if something happened to all 3 of them if I was in his situation. "Maybe she got a flat tire" would be my first thought, but once midnight hit I would be pretty worried.

5851638be981e.image.jpg

still missing: http://www.morganton.com/gallery/no..._fbc25a89-9899-5f97-9444-556d5b9be839.html#67

5851638cc3b01.image.jpg

Their stepfather, Carl Bock, was the last person to see them alive, lawmen say.

Bock said he dropped the boys off at a movie theater at 5:30 p.m. He returned to the theater about 8 p.m., and the boys were gone, he said.

Lt. Bruce Moore, a retired Sheriff's detective, investigated the Westerfield case in the mid-1980s. When the boys disappeared, he was dating Judy Sanders, who worked at the concession stand at the Broadway Theater. The two later married. Judy Moore said that neither she nor the other employees saw the boys the night they were said to have disappeared.

"They were regulars. I recognized their picture," she said. "Who wouldn't, with their red hair and freckles. I told policemen they never came in that night."
Source: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the...motional-swings-as-law-enforcement--t678.html

So Bock was dating someone who worked at the theatre. Hmmm...
Thompson visited Bock at his home in West Virginia in 2000.

He is now in his 80s and living in Wisconsin.

"From the time that we arrived, for the first hour, he was an emotional train wreck," Thompson said. "He must have changed his seat position a million times.

"Once he realized we weren't going to charge him," Bock's demeanor "turned into absolute, unadulterated arrogance."
Why so nervous unless you had something to do with it?

Their stepfather, Carl Bock, was the last person to see them alive, lawmen say.

Bock said he dropped the boys off at a movie theater at 5:30 p.m. He returned to the theater about 8 p.m., and the boys were gone, he said.

Lt. Bruce Moore, a retired Sheriff's detective, investigated the Westerfield case in the mid-1980s. When the boys disappeared, he was dating Judy Sanders, who worked at the concession stand at the Broadway Theater. The two later married. Judy Moore said that neither she nor the other employees saw the boys the night they were said to have disappeared.

"They were regulars. I recognized their picture," she said. "Who wouldn't, with their red hair and freckles. I told policemen they never came in that night."

So Bock was dating someone who worked at the theater. Hmmm...

Thompson visited Bock at his home in West Virginia in 2000.

He is now in his 80s and living in Wisconsin.

"From the time that we arrived, for the first hour, he was an emotional train wreck," Thompson said. "He must have changed his seat position a million times.

"Once he realized we weren't going to charge him," Bock's demeanor "turned into absolute, unadulterated arrogance."
Why so nervous unless you had something to do with it?

Source: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the...motional-swings-as-law-enforcement--t678.html

No, Lt. Bruce Moore, was dating someone who worked at the movie theater back then. She later became Lt. Moore's wife.

No, Lt. Bruce Moore, was dating someone who worked at the movie theater back then. She later became Lt. Moore's wife.

Thank you, I totally read that wrong! I feel like a doofus haha. New rule don't post in forum when sleep deprived!

Good question. The employees at the cinema are reported to have said the boys were in there "all the time", which raises the possibility that they thought they'd been in on the day in question but could have been mistaken.

I remember that some employees remember seeing the Westerfield brothers at the theater, and others do not.

Satch

I remember that some employees remember seeing the Westerfield brothers at the theater, and others do not.

Satch
I would completely discount the possibility that the Westerfield boys were at the theater that day; not a chance in h3ll!

The employees who thought they were there had either the wrong day or the wrong boys. No doubt the stepfather planted the idea in their heads that the boys had been there.

I would completely discount the possibility that the Westerfield boys were at the theater that day; not a chance in h3ll!

The employees who thought they were there had either the wrong day or the wrong boys. No doubt the stepfather planted the idea in their heads that the boys had been there.

I think that the stepfather knows what happened. What is known about the stepfather? Reports are that he is in his 80's and lives in Wisconsin.

Satch

Last edited:

So how does the Stepfather Carl Bock,fit in to the family situation? The boys' natural father Melvin "Tom" Westerfield was questioned,and LE believes that he is innocent.

Satch

I agree, because they were there a lot, it made it very easy for employee's to mistake seeing them that day. Especially in the circumstance if they weren't interviewed right away, I wonder if they were. Even in being interviewed a few weeks later, it would be hard to say exactly what days you saw a regular.

Question 1) I read about it in an 1995 article in the Fay Observer, which was written by a childhood friend of the boys. So it was about 30 years after they went missing.
http://www.fayobserver.com/living/s...cle_ed1f0613-eac0-58de-8484-1802a6a8dfa2.html

It's been a while since I have read it, but it was actually Alan being asking for, not Terry, and it was multiple children knocking on the door, not just one friend (my mistake in remembering).

Question 2) It also doesn't mention why he was being punished, except that he was in his room.
The article also mentions that Terry was last seen riding his bike around 1 pm, and the step-father was seen driving out of the driveway at 4 pm. The step-father says the boys went to a double-feature which makes the time frame add up (4-8 pm), but what double feature was playing that night? Does the ticket person remember seeing them?

Questions about the theater "story":

Why did the step-father arrived 15 mins early? He told them he'd pick them up at 8 pm and arrived at 7:45.
Also he waited in a no-park zone, why? Especially since he arrived 15 mins early, people usually park in no-park zones when they'll be there temporarily, like for a few minutes. Seems to me he was looking for an alibi, to verify that he actually went to the theater that night. If he was there from 7:45-9:30 like he said, someone had to of witnessed a car sitting in a no-park zone for an hour and 45 mins.
He says he was there from 7:45-9:30, what was he doing in all that time? I'd say he'd probably get impatient, unless, you know, he already knew the boys weren't coming out...
Did he ever go in the theater in this time? To ask the workers to call their names over an intercom or search for the boys?
The theater workers knew the family and their habits, why did some claim to have not seen them and others did? Another thing that doesn't add up about the theater story is that the mom was pretty strict about the boys being picked up from the theater, she told them to always wait inside and she'd come in and get them. This is why some theater workers were certain they didn't see them that night, because they knew the family and their mother's rules. Missing brothers case is NC's oldest unsolved disappearance :: WRAL.com
The step-father would know his wife's rules about the boys waiting inside the theater when being picked up, right? What I don't understand is why the step-father waited outside for the boys, he had been married to their mother so I'm assuming he might have known about her rule about making them wait inside the theater.
The whole "oh, their mother must have picked them up" assumption seems not right to me at all. For one, would'nt he be mad if the mom picked them up without telling him? I assume he told her he was picking them up when he told her where they were at when she got off work. I'd be mad if I had to wait somewhere for an hour and 45 mins. Also wouldn't he had seen her pick them up if he was there for that long!? It seems like an opportunity to delay the investigation even further. He knew she was out with a friend, maybe even knew she'd be out a bit later. And on top of that it was storming that night, flooding and power outages due to a hurricane. I think Bock (the step father) knew what he was doing.

The uncle of the boys believes (if the Bock was responsible) that the murder was covered up because of Bock's status as a military policeman.
The mother spent some time in a psychiatric hospital after their disappearance, and the biological father of the boys committed suicide after struggling for years with depression. It's so sad.

Some useful information would be:
Why were the mother and the step-father separating?
That could be telling, for example, if it was jealousy on his part that could possibly be seen as a motive. She stayed out late with a friend and her children end up missing. Maybe he assumed she was out flirting with men or something and was using her sons as pawns to get back at her. Also, if the divorce wasn't his idea at all, that could be another reason. Did he remarry since then? Were there problems in his relationships since then?
Why was he at her house with the boys that day? Did she ask him to watch them while she was at work?
Why won't he talk about their disappearance to this day? He refuses to comment about the boys, suspicious or an attempt to move on from it?
Did the step-father drop them off outside the theater or walk them to the door/inside? If by chance the step-father wasn't involved, could they have been abducted before entering the theater. (I don't really think so).

Not relevant but worth mentioning- the Westerfield brothers weren't the only sibling duo to go missing from a double-feature during this time, the Grimes sisters went missing from Brighton Theater in Brighton Park, Chicago in 1956, 8 years prior to the brothers disappearance. They were found murdered weeks later though.

In fact,

Do we even have proof from reliable sources that the boys even WENT to the theater that day? Or is this only the step father's story of what happened, and has been in the case files almost fifty-four years? (As of August 5, 2018)

Satch

In fact,

Do we even have proof from reliable sources that the boys even WENT to the theater that day? Or is this only the step father's story of what happened, and has been in the case files almost fifty-four years? (As of August 5, 2018)

Satch
I thought I answered this once, but no, we do not have any proof from reliable sources that the boys went to the theater that day. It is merely the stepfather's story--and I do mean STORY. I don't think anyone actually believes it.

In fact,

Satch
I believe it is possible they never even stepped foot in the theatre that day. I think they could have even been dead when the neighborhood kids knocked on their door to play and Bock told them he was being punished... So he was being punished and yet he was still allowed to go to a movie a little bit later... Hmmm...Also of note is that a witness noticed Bock leave the driveway around 4pm and didn't mention seeing the children, only Bock.. Also if you are trying to catch a 4pm movie you don't leave home when the movie itself starts...

The fact that he just randomly shows up at his soon to be ex-wife's house is incriminating. He told the babysitter to leave... I don't know about you but I think his high ranking military title literally helped him get away with murder... Any one else doing this... No one's buying it. I smell a major cover-up... And the whole asking Margie if she picked up her boys when he knew she was at the NCO club... He was just trying to make her feel like a bad mother...

Timeline:
12:30-1pm-
Bock arrives at his soon to be ex-wife's house and convinces the baby sitter, Barbara Temple, their mom hired to leave.
1pm- one of boys was last seen riding his bike.
Sometime between 1-4pm- neighborhood kids knock on their door. Bock answers and tells them he can't play because he being punished in his room. (Yet he is still allowed to see a movie?)
4pm-
Bock is seen backing out of driveway. (Why leave when the movie actually starts?)
4pm-
Occuring to Bock, he dropped off the boys at a double feature movie: No Name on the Bullet/the Atomic Man. (theatre workers have conflicting stories to if they saw them that night). This would be the last time the boys were said to have been seen by Bock.
5:30pm-
The boy's mother, Margie, comes home and is upset Bock told the babysitter to leave. She then goes out to the NCO club.
7:45-9:30pm-
Bock says this is when he was outside the theatre to pick the boys up. (Why arrive so early to pick them up? Especially when he was seen leaving the house the time the movie started? Why wait so long? Why assume they are with their mom?) In my opinion, this is when Bock acquired to what movies were actually playing that night. He never actually goes inside.
9:30-1am-
The timeframe, according to the 'I thought their mom picked them up' story, is how long he 'assumed' they were with her even though he knew she was at the NCO club... It's clear as day...
1am-
When mom comes home this is when the boys were discovered to be missing. They argue.
2am-
Their mother calls the police to report her sons missing.

The motive is obvious to me. It's revenge on his soon to be ex-wife. She dated him at the same time as she dated the boy's father. She went on to marry Thomas Westerfield and had children with him. In a scorned mind enraged with jealous the thought might be 'that could have/should have been me'. When she did marry Bock later he never established a relationship with the boys and referred to them as 'them boys'. Also noteworthy, Bock also had a criminal history of assault or robbery early in his military career. His comment in recent interviews is incredibly chilling... He says, "You know I was the last one to see them alive".

Source:Two Fayetteville boys went to a movie in 1964. They were never seen again

Thank you Folie!

I just wanted to make this clear. I've read differing articles about minor details. I've mentioned this in previous posts but mistook it for me not remembering correctly.

The differences-
  • Which boy was seen riding their bike at 1pm?- I've seen both Terry and most recently Alan.
  • What boy was asked for when a friend wanted to play?- also has been both boys. Recent being Terry.
  • Was it one friend at the door or multiple children? The most recent article mentions only one.
  • Their case files on some missing sites list 5:30pm as the time Bock dropped them off at the theatre. The movie started at 4pm and Bock was seen leaving the driveway at that time. The most recent article lists 5:30pm as the time Margie, the boy's mother, came home and argued with him. (I sent the Charley project administrator the article for updating their case)
I tried to find the link that I originally found the conflicting info on which boy was seen on his bike and if it was a friend or friends who went to their door. It is a broken link but here it is anyways- http://www.fayobserver.com/living/s...cle_ed1f0613-eac0-58de-8484-1802a6a8dfa2.html

As for fact checking I'm going with the most recent article. It is the most detailed I have read so far on this case and has direct interviews with investigators in this case.

The frustrating thing is if Brock killed Terry and Alan, how he did it, and with no evidence? You think that there would be blood on his car, clothes, something forensic. The time of when the double-feature started, and accounts of Brock, pulling out of the driveway AFTER the first show began, doesn't add up to truth. It also makes no sense that Brook went inside the theater that is if he or the boys even went to the theater that day. Nothing in the time-frame matches his alibi.

Who saw one of the boys riding his bike? Why was the babysitter asked to leave by Brook? It is possible that when Brock told the neighbor boy that Terry was being punished, he may have already been dead, but how? (The reports that I have seen say Terry was being punished.)

What was the full name of the NCO club? Was was Margie gone for such a long time? Where did she work? Where did Brook work?

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn
Back