NC NC - Terry, 11, & Alan Westerfield, 6, Fayetteville, 12 Sept 1964

I agree; we need to find out whether he had a violent temper. He may have lost his temper and killed one of the boys and then killed the other one to get rid of the witness, or it might have been premeditated. I don't think anybody still believes that he dropped the boys off at the theater, so it's very irritating that many sources still repeat that obvious lie as fact.
He had a stint in prison that was possibly for assault.

" Early in his military service, he was charged with a crime, Thompson said.

“I want to say it was robbery or assault, but regardless, he was sentenced and served time in Leavenworth,” the federal prison in Kansas."

Two Fayetteville boys went to a movie in 1964. They were never seen again

To continue this thought,

On the basis of what I have read on this case, I don't think there is any evidence that Karl went to the theater. This was just the story that he told investigators, and probably repeated to police in later questioning. Did anyone see Karl or his car at the theater? I believe that this was a late afternoon show like 4PM? I can't see someone waiting til, what was it, 8:30PM? Karl may have gone to the theater for an alibi, but it falls apart, because I can't see him waiting there for that length of time. A two hour stretch max, and that would be pushing it.

Satch
I agree that it is nuts how long he claimed to have waited. This article says he 'claims' to have gotten there at 7:45 and waited until 9:30. That's 1 hour and 45 minutes of just waiting. In an older article it says he was parked in a no park zone as well (I will have to find it). Another interesting thing he claims is he says they were supposed to meet him at the corner but the theater workers said their mother was very strict about them being picked up inside the theater. Him not leaving the vehicle in that duration is highly suspicious to me and its the icing on the cake with his claim he just assumed their mom picked them up, especially without going inside the theater when they didn't come out. I agree that his only reason of going was for an alibi.

"Bock told police he returned to the Broadway about 7:45 p.m., parked and waited for the boys. They were supposed to meet him at the corner. He said he stayed until 9:30 p.m. and left.

“At what time did he ever get out of his vehicle?” Thompson said. “The employees at the theater will tell you they were not approached or asked about them.”

Two Fayetteville boys went to a movie in 1964. They were never seen again

Terry Lee Westerfield
terry_lee_westerfield_1.jpg
terry_lee_westerfield_2.jpg
terry_lee_westerfield_3.jpg
terry_lee_westerfield_4.jpg

Terry, circa 1964; Age-progression to age 57 (circa 2010)
The second photo shows Terry in his Boy Scout uniform.

• Missing Since 09/12/1964
  • Missing From Fayetteville, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/07/1953 (67)
  • Age 11 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'7, 89 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Red hair, blue eyes. Terry has freckles on his face and an appendectomy scar on his abdomen. He is missing one permanent tooth in his lower jaw.
Details of Disappearance

Terry's stepfather dropped him and his younger brother, Alan Westerfield, off at the Broadway Theater on Hay Street in Fayetteville, North Carolina on September 12, 1964. The two brothers were never seen again and it is unclear if they actually walked into the theater.

Police questioned the boys' stepfather, Carl Bock, who said he dropped Terry and Alan off at the theater at 5:30 p.m. When he went to pick them up at 8:00 p.m., he said, they had disappeared. Some employees at the theater remember seeing the Westerfield children that evening, but other theater workers do not. They were regular customers and could be easily recognized.

Bock was separated from the children's mother at the time Terry and Alan vanished. He was an Army sergeant who worked in the Criminal Investigations Division at Fort Bragg in 1964, and was shipped overseas a year after his stepsons disappeared.

Investigators believe Bock was in some way involved in the Westerfield children's disappearances. They think the boys were both killed a short time after being abducted. No one has ever been charged in the cases, however.

Terry and Alan's biological father was interviewed and ruled out as a suspect. Bock has since divorced from Alan and Terry's mother and now lives in Wisconsin; he was last interviewed by police in Virginia in 2000. The Westerfield brothers' cases remain unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Cumberland County Sheriff's Office 910-323-1500
Source Information

Last edited:
Alan John Westerfield
alan_john_westerfield_1.jpg
alan_john_westerfield_2.jpg
alan_john_westerfield_3.jpg

Alan, circa 1964; Age-progression to age 53 (circa 2010)
The second photo is of Alan in his Cub Scout uniform.

• Missing Since 09/12/1964
  • Missing From Fayetteville, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/24/1957 (63)
  • Age 7 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'10, 80 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Sandy brown hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Alan's stepfather dropped him and his older brother, Terry Westerfield, off at the Broadway Theater on Hay Street in Fayetteville, North Carolina on September 12, 1964. The two brothers were never seen again and it is unclear if they actually walked into the theater.

Police questioned the boys' stepfather, Carl Bock, who said he dropped Terry and Alan off at the theater at 5:30 p.m. When he went to pick them up at 8:00 p.m., he said, they had disappeared. Some employees at the theater remember seeing the Westerfield children that evening, but other theater workers do not. They were regular customers and could be easily recognized.

Bock was separated from the children's mother at the time Terry and Alan vanished. He was an Army sergeant who worked in the Criminal Investigations Division at Fort Bragg in 1964, and was shipped overseas a year after his stepsons disappeared.

Investigators believe Bock was in some way involved in the Westerfield children's disappearances. They think the boys were both killed a short time after being abducted. No one has ever been charged in the cases, however.

Terry and Alan's biological father was interviewed and ruled out as a suspect. Bock has since divorced from Alan and Terry's mother and now lives in Wisconsin; he was last interviewed by police in Virginia in 2000. The Westerfield brothers' cases remain unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Cumberland County Sheriff's Office 910-323-1500
Source Information

Last edited:
Sadly, it's not strange that an ex husband would use the children to hurt his wife. Now, in Spain, two girls are missing after their father said to his wife she wasn't going to see them anymore.
I think there's no doubt that Bock was responsible for their disappearances:

"I approached him with a possibility of a letter of qualified immunity, telling him all we are interested in is finding these boys," Ballard said. "He looked at us and said, ‘I was in the MPs (military police), and if I hadn’t been in the MPs, that would be a pretty good proposition."
They chatted a little more before Bock made a statement that Ballard believes incriminated himself. "He said, ‘You know I was the last one to see them alive.’ In my line of work, pretty much that’s a confession".

I would like to know if he owned a car or asked someone to lend him a vehicle. I read he had a girlfriend, Judy Moore (cinema employee, BTW; it's said he married her after filing for divorce, although I also read he never remarried). She may know some details.
As he was a sergeant, he might not have been fully investigated in the 1960s... Did they search his residence or his car? Did they interview his colleagues?

I have also wondered where he hid their bodies... I think they are not among the many unidentified deceased people; I think they are still where Bock put them. According to an article, the Westerfield home was in 3705 Madison Avenue; well, not far from there, you can find Wallace Pond; I think it's not a natural body of water, because many times it's referred as a reservoir... I would like to know if it was there back in 1964. I think it's a good place to look for them.

Sadly, it's not strange that an ex husband would use the children to hurt his wife. Now, in Spain, two girls are missing after their father said to his wife she wasn't going to see them anymore.
I think there's no doubt that Bock was responsible for their disappearances:

"I approached him with a possibility of a letter of qualified immunity, telling him all we are interested in is finding these boys," Ballard said. "He looked at us and said, ‘I was in the MPs (military police), and if I hadn’t been in the MPs, that would be a pretty good proposition."
They chatted a little more before Bock made a statement that Ballard believes incriminated himself. "He said, ‘You know I was the last one to see them alive.’ In my line of work, pretty much that’s a confession".

I would like to know if he owned a car or asked someone to lend him a vehicle. I read he had a girlfriend, Judy Moore (cinema employee, BTW; it's said he married her after filing for divorce, although I also read he never remarried). She may know some details.
As he was a sergeant, he might not have been fully investigated in the 1960s... Did they search his residence or his car? Did they interview his colleagues?

I have also wondered where he hid their bodies... I think they are not among the many unidentified deceased people; I think they are still where Bock put them. According to an article, the Westerfield home was in 3705 Madison Avenue; well, not far from there, you can find Wallace Pond; I think it's not a natural body of water, because many times it's referred as a reservoir... I would like to know if it was there back in 1964. I think it's a good place to look for them.

There is alot of places to hide a body in a 40 acre pond.I looked to see when the pond was created,but I couldn’t find that information. The cape fear river is another possible place , it runs right through Fayetteville.

There is alot of places to hide a body in a 40 acre pond.I looked to see when the pond was created,but I couldn’t find that information. The cape fear river is another possible place , it runs right through Fayetteville.
as you say there is a lot of space to hide a body.. and based on that it is almost impossible if not impossible to close this case... they say that the stepfather was interviewed in 2000 the last time but maybe the secret of what happened is really known take him to the grave...
rest in peace

as you say there is a lot of space to hide a body.. and based on that it is almost impossible if not impossible to close this case... they say that the stepfather was interviewed in 2000 the last time but maybe the secret of what happened is really known take him to the grave...
rest in peace
I can't say "Rest in Peace" to the stepfather. because I am certain that he murdered Terry and Alan.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn
Back