NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great statistic. I wonder if you could find how many of these suicides were young men that went away to carry out the deed. How many left no suicide notes?

I have been in the ministry my entire life (daughter of a pastor, wife of a pastor). I do know that "religious" (for lack of a better term) people commit suicide. But among those who are devout? None. Just an observation and I have no stats but I will try to look some up. Of course, I am not LDS so I can't speak with any authority on that.

The Affirmation link I posted, tells the stories of many suicides. Many of them were already separated (physically and emotionally) from their compliantly-religious families, so they were already "away" when they killed themselves.

Fox 5 Vegas is reporting a man's body was found on the side of the road, near Eastern Ave and Pecos Ridge Parkway.

The location is about 3.5 miles north of where SK's car was left. MAP.

If you click on satellite view, you'll see that this corner is surrounded by undeveloped (vacant) land.

The one thing that dissuades me from thinking this could be SK, is that the man is described as "in his 20s".

Not Steven:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/henderson-murder-victim-named-107074188.html

A man whose recent death was labeled "suspicious" by Henderson police was identified by the Clark County coroner's office as 23-year-old Joshua Allen Dufort.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the police are bound by rules of procedure guaranteed by the Constitution. Adults have the right to walk away, and people, everybody, is presumed innocent until there's evidence of guilt. Nobody has to prove they weren't involved; police have to have reason to think somebody WAS involved. They can't just go shaking down people who we think might not have come clean.

Of course, and as adult Americans, we should all be grateful for that, really.

However, the investigation in Steven's case has gone nowhere simply because there is no reason to suspect foul play. OTOH, no evidence of foul play will ever be found if no one is looking for it. It's a double edged sword.

"Utah leads the nation in suicides among men aged 15 to 24."
Source: LDS-owned newspaper The Deseret News, April 24, 2006.

LDS people commit suicide. In fact, no matter where I've lived in Utah, I can point to a neighboring home where a young male neighbor committed suicide. Even growing up, I thought it odd that it was always young men; and, they were always LDS.

Also from that article: "Utah also has the 11th highest suicide rate — 14.3 deaths per 100,000 people — in the nation over all age groups, according to the most recent data from the American Association of Suicidology."

With approximately 50% of the population being LDS, those suicides can't all be gentiles.

See also:
Affirmation.org, partial list of identified suicides among gay and lesbian Mormons, compiled after the Deseret News article - but hasn't been maintained.

I grew up in Mesa, AZ a very highly Mormon-populated part of Phoenix, and in high school, we had AT LEAST one suicide a year. My high school was probably around 70% LDS, with 8 scheduled class periods of "seminary" a day and around 8 teachers for each hour, each with a classroom full of students. (If that makes any sense.) We had problems just like any other high school, with drugs, alcohol, pregnant teens, and suicides.

I know we tend to sometimes say "Oh, Steven wouldn't do that because of his religion," but honestly, sometimes, it makes no difference. Especially in the context of desperation.

I grew up in Mesa, AZ a very highly Mormon-populated part of Phoenix, and in high school, we had AT LEAST one suicide a year. My high school was probably around 70% LDS, with 8 scheduled class periods of "seminary" a day and around 8 teachers for each hour, each with a classroom full of students. (If that makes any sense.) We had problems just like any other high school, with drugs, alcohol, pregnant teens, and suicides.

I know we tend to sometimes say "Oh, Steven wouldn't do that because of his religion," but honestly, sometimes, it makes no difference. Especially in the context of desperation.

I did too - in Vegas. But we had zero suicides - of any kids.

I resist the suicide theory with Steven, only because nothing pointing toward that has ever been found (i.e. - a note), nor has he. I'm not saying that's not the answer, but it just seems unlikely to me. And when you look at his behavior prior to going missing, suicide doesn't seem to be the likely outcome. IMO.

I did too - in Vegas. But we had zero suicides - of any kids.

I resist the suicide theory with Steven, only because nothing pointing toward that has ever been found (i.e. - a note), nor has he. I'm not saying that's not the answer, but it just seems unlikely to me. And when you look at his behavior prior to going missing, suicide doesn't seem to be the likely outcome. IMO.

Roughly 30,000 people kill themselves in the US every year. For men in Steven's age group, more

Only about a quarter to a third of suicides leave a note.

Around a quarter of suicides don't display any warning behavior or common signs. Most of these people have underlying undiagnosed depression.

Numbers from www.afps.org and wikipedia

Roughly 30,000 people kill themselves in the US every year. For men in Steven's age group, more

Only about a quarter to a third of suicides leave a note.

Around a quarter of suicides don't display any warning behavior or common signs. Most of these people have underlying undiagnosed depression.

Numbers from www.afps.org and wikipedia

Duly noted. But I have to wonder how many of those suicide victims remain undiscovered for an extended period of time?

Duly noted. But I have to wonder how many of those suicide victims remain undiscovered for an extended period of time?

Well, obviously the ones that were counted have been discovered :D

But if you look through the UID threads, you'll find that quite a number of them are people found in circumstances that make it clear they killed themselves. A certain kind of person doesn't want to be found by their loved ones. A certain kind of person seems to wander and then keep walking until they get to the end of their rope.

I don't claim those numbers prove Steven might have killed himself. I don't know. I hope I'm wrong. It just seems like it's an option that has to be taken seriously.

Well, obviously the ones that were counted have been discovered :D

But if you look through the UID threads, you'll find that quite a number of them are people found in circumstances that make it clear they killed themselves. A certain kind of person doesn't want to be found by their loved ones. A certain kind of person seems to wander and then keep walking until they get to the end of their rope.

I don't claim those numbers prove Steven might have killed himself. I don't know. I hope I'm wrong. It just seems like it's an option that has to be taken seriously.

I agree, it is an option to be taken seriously. I think with all we've learned about Steven these past months, it could certainly go either way. :D

Anybody have any ideas where we can go with this case? I have been by the bus stop where I thought I spotted Steven many, many times since and have not seen that same guy. I know some of us locals have taken the "business" sized cards around town and haven't had any responses.

Don't know if the PI is still on the case, though he vowed he would do everything in his power to find Steven.

No input from the family or friends anymore.

Don't know if LE is investigating.

It's closing in on a year. Where is Steven???

Anybody have any ideas where we can go with this case? I have been by the bus stop where I thought I spotted Steven many, many times since and have not seen that same guy. I know some of us locals have taken the "business" sized cards around town and haven't had any responses.

Don't know if the PI is still on the case, though he vowed he would do everything in his power to find Steven.

No input from the family or friends anymore.

Don't know if LE is investigating.

It's closing in on a year. Where is Steven???

Do you think the family would be interested in some kind of anniversary event?

Hey everyone...I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about Steven. I do check in on a weekly basis and read the posts. I just wanted to leave a news update and let's pray that this person is identified and brought home to their family.

Do you think the family would be interested in some kind of anniversary event?

I believe someone in the media is planning to run a piece. I would love to know if the family is planning some kind of a vigil. If not, I suppose we can do one.

(Good to "see" you guitar3).

Here's another article on the remains found in Red Rock:
Human remains found in Red Rock Canyon

By ANTONIO PLANAS
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Human remains were discovered by at least one hiker at the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area on Thursday, Las Vegas police said.

Lt. Les Lane said the remains were spotted near the Black Velvet Canyon area about 2:30 p.m. when at least one climber saw what appeared to be human bones. Rangers with the Bureau of Land Management arrived and identified the bones as human. Lane said he believed the bones were parts of a spine.

Most Popular Stories
Sisters grieve over loved ones' deaths
Ticket prices jump for Garth Brooks
Cruise ship fire ruins Henderson couple's vacation
Henderson homicide victim named
Companies yank cord on residential phone books
Aide says Sandoval may try to grab school, local government funds
Rudner rowing to Venetian in '11
Three of eight charged in teacher's death appear in court
Gravel spill closes US 95
Social Services worker, husband plead guilty to theft

The Metropolitan Police Department's Search and Rescue Detail is investigating. There are no additional details available.

Contact reporter Antonio Planas at aplanas@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-4638.