OH - Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation, Cuyahoga Co., June 2023

I just watched her sentencing. IMO, she is not remorseful for what Jailyn suffered. There is some taking of accountability in her pleading guilty.
Yet, I can't imagine warning bells not going off as she packed her suitcase, planning to run off. No warning bells nor heart strings being pulled as she woke and went to bed each night of her trip, as she ate some good food, maybe something she she hadn't even ate before?
I believe her parents never held her responsible for her actions, other than caring for Jailyn. For all those days, her parents never asked to speak to Jailyn or video chat with her? Where did they think both Jailyn and mom were during the the time they vacationed? I pray for healing andnin-going support for Jailyn's sister.
*I noticed the judge said he would appoint her a lawyer. Does this state have an automatic appeal for life sentences?
Despite mom's claimed mental health issues, she had a support system right in the home. Something, many other single mothers, suffering from mental issues don't have.
Thank God Jailyn had people that loved her, and spoke for her, even if it was in death.
I have dug up everything I can find on this case. Listened to the sentencing hearing twice and I still have so many questions. Except for strangers, i.e., law enforcement, investigators, prosecutors, etc., everyone in this child's life let her down.

My biological mother once left me alone (this was in the 80s) and disappeared for two weeks. The woman who eventually became my adoptive mom had been heavily involved, she was an older woman who had a reputation for helping people get stable and back on their feet. She had provided food, deposits for apartments, clothing for me, childcare, etc. Bio mom was like this, just wanted to party. Anyway, the other person in the duplex called my eventual-adoptive mom because they heard me crying constantly, and then my cries getting weaker over about 48 hours. Adoptive mom came, and busted the door down; there I was with a bottle of water alone. Bio mom did not show her face for two weeks, as I said, and all she had to say for herself was "Well Mary, I knew you'd go and get her."

Not long after that, the family court judge for the town, a friend of my adoptive mom's, suggested that she and my dad should adopt me before I ended up dead or in foster care - which in rural Ohio in the 80s was very much a safety risk as well. She asked my adoptive dad and it was a done deal, despite being in their 70s. Bio mom agreed to the adoption, and so did bio dad when they tracked him down and assured him he wouldn't have to pay child support. The adoption was finalized when I was 16 months old and I went on to graduate high school with honors at 16, attend college, and have a family of my own, all thanks to those two wonderful elderly people who absolutely saved my life. Bio mom died a couple years ago of a likely fentanyl overdose.

When I see these stories, it hits me in such a deep place, knowing that it could have easily been me if any one thing had gone differently. It's almost like survivor's guilt; I was so lucky - why can't these children be as well?

My biological mother once left me alone (this was in the 80s) and disappeared for two weeks. The woman who eventually became my adoptive mom had been heavily involved, she was an older woman who had a reputation for helping people get stable and back on their feet. She had provided food, deposits for apartments, clothing for me, childcare, etc. Bio mom was like this, just wanted to party. Anyway, the other person in the duplex called my eventual-adoptive mom because they heard me crying constantly, and then my cries getting weaker over about 48 hours. Adoptive mom came, and busted the door down; there I was with a bottle of water alone. Bio mom did not show her face for two weeks, as I said, and all she had to say for herself was "Well Mary, I knew you'd go and get her."

Not long after that, the family court judge for the town, a friend of my adoptive mom's, suggested that she and my dad should adopt me before I ended up dead or in foster care - which in rural Ohio in the 80s was very much a safety risk as well. She asked my adoptive dad and it was a done deal, despite being in their 70s. Bio mom agreed to the adoption, and so did bio dad when they tracked him down and assured him he wouldn't have to pay child support. The adoption was finalized when I was 16 months old and I went on to graduate high school with honors at 16, attend college, and have a family of my own, all thanks to those two wonderful elderly people who absolutely saved my life. Bio mom died a couple years ago of a likely fentanyl overdose.

When I see these stories, it hits me in such a deep place, knowing that it could have easily been me if any one thing had gone differently. It's almost like survivor's guilt; I was so lucky - why can't these children be as well?
What a beautiful story and happy ending. I too wish all children had wonderful people in their lives. ❤️

I can't for the life of me understand how the neighbors heard this baby screaming and crying, or rather claim to not have heard the baby? I've heard too many conflicting stories. But I have had children and I have a grand child and I can't imagine not hearing this poor sweet soul suffering. Shame on the neighbors for not calling the police or something. Had it been me I probably would be in jail for breaking and entering. This case breaks my heart.

Not one tear shed while talking about her dead daughter with the police at her home. The tears finally come at her sentencing. That is telling.
I'm raising a grandchild since infancy, his mother was not properly caring for him and asked me to take him for a few weeks. Honesty it Horrified me that she was willing to just leave him. 24 hrs later I got emergency custody because I feared she'd come back for him. 15 years later he's still here and she's living her life far away without a thought about him.
It's hard to comprehend that a mother who wanted her child, who had choices and support could be so disconnected from her baby. But it happens. Family Needs to pay attention. Not blaming them, Maybe i follow too much true crime, Ive learned to never say never

A Cleveland mother is facing a murder charge, accused of leaving her 16-month-old child alone while she went on vacation, and the child died.
[snip]
The complaint says the mother was gone from June 8 to June 16, and on June 16, she found her daughter unresponsive.
Child dies after being left at home while mom goes on vacation

WHAT?????????

Kristel Candelario is currently in jail after being charged with murder, officials say.

The mother’s bond was set at $1 million Tuesday morning.
[snip]
Candelario will be back in court June 28 for a pre-trial
Cleveland mom arrested following the death of her child

Police said the child's Pack N Play "consisted of soiled blankets and a bottom liner saturated with urine and feces," according to court records.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office hasn't said what the child's official cause of death is, but court records state she was "extremely dehydrated."
Toddler dies after being left home alone while mother goes on weeklong vacation, court docs state
I have never heard of anything so horrible. No attachment, no cuddling, no care or feeding. What kind of monster does that?!

I have never heard of anything so horrible. No attachment, no cuddling, no care or feeding. What kind of monster does that?!

I wish that lack of bonding could be documented at birth so that the child could be declared to be at risk and have an additional caregiver assigned to them. Surely, at some level, child abuse is predictable.

Oh my lord!! What has happened here? Did she think a small baby could take care of itself? What about neighbors, did anyone hear crying?
This one is hard to take in. She does not deserve to be a mother!
I 100% agree! If you can't care for or raise the child properly CPS is there to help and find alternative measures. Neglecting a child to go on vacation is despicable and this mother if you can call her one, should be tried to the fullest extent of the law. I don't understand how any mother or human could do this to a defenceless child. Some women would kill to have a child, and others kill/neglect their children. I will never understand a mother doing this to their child.

Neighbors were concerned, one neighbor had the child for an extended period of time. If the family lived together they Must have known the child was being neglected. While the mother is responsible for the child, those that witness neglect need to report, step up etc.
AMEN! Why did no one call child protective services or Law enforcement!

Law and Crime has shared a video that includes body cam footage. She looks nothing like those Puerto Rico photos.

Just wanted to post a trigger warning for this video. You will hear sweet Jailyn's cries. I couldn't listen. Why oh why wasn't this MONSTER reported before this happened! :mad:

@LawCrimeNetwork

The Ohio woman who left her toddler home alone to starve while she posed for photos on the beaches of Puerto Rico was sentenced to life in prison. Officials have released all evidence in Kristal Candelario’s child murder case, including bodycam and interrogation footage.

12:30 PM · Apr 25, 2024

Last edited:
@LawCrimeNetwork

The Ohio woman who left her toddler home alone to starve while she posed for photos on the beaches of Puerto Rico was sentenced to life in prison. Officials have released all evidence in Kristal Candelario’s child murder case, including bodycam and interrogation footage.

12:30 PM · Apr 25, 2024
Thank god she was sentenced to life. She doesn't deserve to live among other members of society. She is a threat to children and adults alike. She deserves to be locked in a cell for the rest of her natural life it doesn't even compare to what she did to her daughter.

I'm raising a grandchild since infancy, his mother was not properly caring for him and asked me to take him for a few weeks. Honesty it Horrified me that she was willing to just leave him. 24 hrs later I got emergency custody because I feared she'd come back for him. 15 years later he's still here and she's living her life far away without a thought about him.
It's hard to comprehend that a mother who wanted her child, who had choices and support could be so disconnected from her baby. But it happens. Family Needs to pay attention. Not blaming them, Maybe i follow too much true crime, Ive learned to never say never
Well said!

I wish that lack of bonding could be documented at birth so that the child could be declared to be at risk and have an additional caregiver assigned to them. Surely, at some level, child abuse is predictable.
Sometimes mothers fake it, but in my personal experience I felt something was very wrong almost immediately. Everyone made excuses, she's young, hormonal etc. But she wasn't made for mothering which became evident. I don't think she harmed or neglected him in a legal sense, but the bond most of us feel was not there and she didn't want the responsibility.

Is that LWOP?
Yes, I think so, I'm from Canada and life sentences here are 25 years to life in prison, with the possibility of parole. I think the States are different some offenders are eligible for parole after a certain number of years and others will never be released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmers_91
Back