State vs. Jason Lynn Young 2-24-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised at all. The 3 times I watched, the prosecution put me to sleep. Literally. I was so expecting to get a bombshell last witness for the prosecution, what a disappointment! zzzzzzzzzzzz

What's the trial in NJ? Maybe I'll follow that one instead.

Ouch. That's not a good sign.

I believe that! And Klinkosum is focussed and intense. His boy's freedom is on the line. He's looking at LWOP. Huge responsibility. He had to have been completely deflated after the last trial. They took a risk and put JY on the stand. The man spoke for the first time since the murder. Now his words are locked in. In your opinion, will they take the same risk this time around?

I would think not. If he said anything different, that could be problematic. And if he didn't say anything that really harmed him the last time, they should count themselves lucky.

But I need to say that I wouldn't be that he was deflated after the last trial. A hung jury, especially 8 to 4 is a victory to most defense attorneys.

With all due respect, <modsnip> I know at least one Florida prosecutor who was not surprised at all by the Anthony jury's decision. He didn't blame the jury, he blamed the prosecution team.

A jury doesn't lose a case, attorneys lose it.

JMO

Well, let me just say it would have been very bad form for the prosecution to whine about the jury after the case is over. He took responsibility and that was quite gracious and professional. But it certainly does not mean they presented a weak case.

There is always more one can do in such cases. Every attorney second guesses him or herself. But like I said, every lawyer or competent legal analyst I heard discuss the outcome, was completely shocked. Including Jeff Ashton.

I'll say this again, it's the smoking gun. That's what everyone is looking for. Like someone said very well a page or 2 ago, not long ago we didn't have all this technology and people had less to go on. I think with murders like this it comes down to one main question -- who would benefit the most from the death? Uh, ding ding, I have a 4 million dollar winner here. JY. I'm here all week folks!! ;)

Grit,

Is it true that the DT will go last (get last word) at closing if JLY does not take the stand?

If defense puts on any evidence, regardless of whether or not JY takes the stand, prosecution can elect to go last, or first and last of closing.

I'll say this again, it's the smoking gun. That's what everyone is looking for. Like someone said very well a page or 2 ago, not long ago we didn't have all this technology and people had less to go on. I think with murders like this it comes down to one main question -- who would benefit the most from the death? Uh, ding ding, I have a 4 million dollar winner here. JY. I'm here all week folks!! ;)

Counter-example: in the disappearance of Natalie Holloway, her father had an insurance policy. Who benefited the most? That question is not necessarily the question that needs to be asked.

Gritguy or any other legal eagle:

Any chance the Judge may include a lesser charge this time around?

Well... it is a criminal trial, so I won't say it won't happen. But I find it very unlikely. There's nothing to support a 2nd Degree charge here. If guilty, lots of planning was involved.

HOWEVER, I didn't think there was ANYTHING to support a 2nd Degree option in BC, and the jury was instructed on that.

This is quite funny. Mentor boasting about what he would do. Has he ever been anywhere other than online? Has he been in the courtroom? Jason Young never showed his face. He arrived at MF's house and ran inside to hide, leaving the womenfolk to fight his battle. NEVER came out of the house! They were on their own in a tug of war for their luggage. He was busy.

Based on what Jay's mentor said, the marked WCSO units arrived right behind the clan (assume they were parked nearby waiting to intercept the white SUV)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jason goes into the house to be with Cassie. Immediately afterward a swarm of police cars swoop down on the driveway, bubblegum lights flashing, lighting up the neighborhood. Jason’s mother and other family members are in the process of taking their suitcases out of the car when a policeman orders them to stop.

“What do you think you’re doing?” This to a mother and grandmother.

“We’re going to a motel to spend the night. We need our suitcases.”

“You’re not going anywhere with those suitcases.”

“Well, can I get my blood pressure medicine and wallet out of the car?”“No, you can’t. We’re going to search everything in this car. You will eventually get it all back.”

And so forth. Believe me, it really did happen like this. Not only was Jason treated like a criminal from the very beginning, but the rest of his family were treated like conspirators! Eventually Mrs. Young was permitted to retrieve her medicine, but her pocketbook, money, I.D. were not returned until the next day. If I had been there (I got this second hand from someone who was there) I reckon I would have been arrested for assaulting a police officer for the way Mrs. Young was treated.

Now, Jason knows this is happening outside, but he stays in the house with Cassie and his friends. At this point, do you think you would have second or third thoughts about talking with any of the LE people?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne130 View Post
If he was wearing the shoes that were seen in the Hampton Inn video when he arrived at Meredith's house, why did he have to go out and buy a pair that looked almost identical to them a few days later? That's the part that always gets ignored when posters claim that he was wearing the shoes.
janesdean wrote:
Cheyenne, the reason being he threw the shoes out with all the bloody evidence he bagged up at the Birchleaf house. He knew he might have been filmed or seen in those shoes, so he couldn't very well have them in his possession if they were a bloody mess ! I know some posters refuse to address this, I think because they have no logical answer. It is glaringly clear !!
MyBelle MyBelle wrote:
There is no law against purchasing a new pair of shoes nor a requirement that they must be in a different style than those already owned.
janesdean wrote:
LOL, of course there isn't a law like you state, that's just a way of avoiding answsering Cheyenne's question, alot of ppl avoid that question, because the answser is so obvious and so incriminating towards Jason Young !!!!

Learning Jay jacked up the life ins to $4,000,000 2 months before his wife ends up murdered was a huge shocker. WTH they didn't reveal that bombshell in the first trial is very perplexing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne130 View Post
If he was wearing the shoes that were seen in the Hampton Inn video when he arrived at Meredith's house, why did he have to go out and buy a pair that looked almost identical to them a few days later? That's the part that always gets ignored when posters claim that he was wearing the shoes.
janesdean wrote:
Cheyenne, the reason being he threw the shoes out with all the bloody evidence he bagged up at the Birchleaf house. He knew he might have been filmed or seen in those shoes, so he couldn't very well have them in his possession if they were a bloody mess ! I know some posters refuse to address this, I think because they have no logical answer. It is glaringly clear !!
MyBelle MyBelle wrote:
There is no law against purchasing a new pair of shoes nor a requirement that they must be in a different style than those already owned.
janesdean wrote:
LOL, of course there isn't a law like you state, that's just a way of avoiding answsering Cheyenne's question, alot of ppl avoid that question, because the answser is so obvious and so incriminating towards Jason Young !!!!

Thank you!!!

Wow....I feel really, poor, or something. I haven't bought a new pair in over 2 years. My shoes look and last just fine. My work shoes and my tennies. So I don't quite agree with that one. Is that what he said??
I don't agree either. Other than Otto I know of no one that disposes of year old shoes. No one. Even cheap shoes. Ridiculous, IMO.

Learning Jay jacked up the life ins to $4,000,000 2 months before his wife ends up murdered was a huge shocker. WTH they didn't reveal that bombshell in the first trial is very perplexing.

Motive of course is a circumstance that can support guilt or the lack of motive can indicate toward innocence.

JY was the only known person in this case with a motive; 75 bags of evidence apparently didn't change that.

I don't agree either. Other than Otto I know of no one that disposes of year old shoes. No one. Even cheap shoes. Ridiculous, IMO.

I generally agree, but as another poster pointed out, circumstances. Maybe a marathon runner. Maybe the shoes become destroyed or ruined by something. Maybe they fit wrong. Maybe they are a link to a murder scene. Those are reasons I could think of. :waitasec:

i do get rid of shoes before the end of the year ... those every day shoes just don't look professional anymore. I'm not talking about cheap shoes either ... well made, leather shoes ... they just wear out. Maybe it has something to do with the weather. Maybe it's beautiful, warm, dry weather in NC all year round. Is it ... or ... does everyone wear runners when they're not working?

Pat will come back next week and laugh about her little imp.
To what extent can she be crossed? In other words can PT grill her on prior statements given to LE like his clothing or that lie about $500 in a new wallet?

That courtroom is ALWAYS cold, but in every trial I've been in there before, the attorneys are always complaining of being too warm. Even in BC trial they were all shedding jackets. Maybe all the computers pushing around the hot air. Or... could be another source of hot air.

Were you in there during the BC trial?

Based on what Jay's mentor said, the marked WCSO units arrived right behind the clan (assume they were parked nearby waiting to intercept the white SUV)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jason goes into the house to be with Cassie. Immediately afterward a swarm of police cars swoop down on the driveway, bubblegum lights flashing, lighting up the neighborhood. Jason’s mother and other family members are in the process of taking their suitcases out of the car when a policeman orders them to stop.

“What do you think you’re doing?” This to a mother and grandmother.

“We’re going to a motel to spend the night. We need our suitcases.”

“You’re not going anywhere with those suitcases.”

“Well, can I get my blood pressure medicine and wallet out of the car?”“No, you can’t. We’re going to search everything in this car. You will eventually get it all back.”

And so forth. Believe me, it really did happen like this. Not only was Jason treated like a criminal from the very beginning, but the rest of his family were treated like conspirators! Eventually Mrs. Young was permitted to retrieve her medicine, but her pocketbook, money, I.D. were not returned until the next day. If I had been there (I got this second hand from someone who was there) I reckon I would have been arrested for assaulting a police officer for the way Mrs. Young was treated.

Now, Jason knows this is happening outside, but he stays in the house with Cassie and his friends. At this point, do you think you would have second or third thoughts about talking with any of the LE people?"

I would definitely have second thoughts about talking at that point, but only if my wife had not just been murdered and my kid the only witness. His actions would make more sense if: 1) He had not taken his time and tried to consult with an attorney PRIOR to the scene you described above or 2) A few days after such a scene, when the shock has subsided a bit, and he could have a bit of clarity about what had transpired and how the police had acted, he had then consulted with counsel and refused to talk further, instead of hiding in his room and refusing to say one word to LE or ANYONE about what happened, on the very day he hears of the murder.

I could also see him or others in his family screaming at the police, "What the he!! is going on here? What has happened? Why are you treating my mother like that?" But to refuse to talk to them at all, ever? To not ever ask how the investigation was progressing? To not come barreling in there, demanding answers? Just not normal, not matter how crappy the police are acting, on that very day, the very day your wife has been discovered murdered and your baby cowering under bloody sheets. It makes no sense to me. It's not how innocent people act unless they are sociopathic and just don't give a darn. But coupled with everything else in this case that there seems to be against this man, I doubt the latter is the case.

BBM I disagree. The pinellas 12 did not take notes and did not ask to see one piece of evidence. How many trials do you know of that the jury asked no questions, took no notes, and did not ask to see one piece of evidence? I pray that this jury does their job and looks at all the evidence and uses their common sense.

The jurors didn't take notes at all?

During the A trial, the media continuously tweeted that they were not taking notes. Occasionally the media would report one or two jurors taking a few notes. A poster was at the trial daily and reported what she saw.It was discussed a lot during the trial. With all the testimony and complicated forensics how could anyone evaluate the evidence?

Someone posted earlier that this jury studied the evidence for 30 minutes today. We also heard them asking the judge questions. That gives me hope that, regardless of what their decision is, they are taking their job seriously.

I heard from commentators that some of the jury did take notes. Some took copious notes. But at a certain point, they seemed to stop and they certainly did not ask for a review of one single item of evidence or one bit of testimony during their short deliberations. Not only that, there was a bit too much discussion afterwards from a couple of them about wanting to be able to go in the pool, etc. IMO, the verdict we got was in part because these people just wanted to go home. A guilty verdict would have meant a penalty phase and much more time sequestered.

Hopefully, this jury is different.

I'm starting to get mixed up with whether the comments relate to this case or the Casey Anthony case ... that is ... about taking notes ... I thought the jury was taking notes, but there are comments about the jury not taking notes.

Which case has the jury not taking notes and not viewing the evidence?

Pat will come back next week and laugh about her little imp.
To what extent can she be crossed? In other words can PT grill her on prior statements given to LE like his clothing or that lie about $500 in a new wallet?

Yes I've wondered about that claim that there was $500 stolen. That seems a rather convenient addition to the list MaPat came up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member