TX TX - San Angelo, WhtMale 70-90, 966UMTX, Lived Under Multiple ID's, Mar'05

You guys will love this one; Frank Morris!

http://www.usmarshals.gov/news/chron/2012/morris.pdf

Always wondered what happened to him all those years, I guess it took a long time to float around to Texas on that raft from San Francisco. I don't really think it's him but check out the age progressed sketch. Hmmmm.....

Okay, this is not as off the wall as I thought it was...he matches the physical description, he's the right age, it sounds like the UID had a criminal background, and Morris served time in Louisiana, which is the next state over. (Okay, a long way from San Angelo to Slidell.)

Here's the FBI's age-progressed sketch and the UID. Also young Frank Morris. I think the age-progressed sketch ought to show a longer nose -- the tips of noses typically keep growing throughout life. That would increase the resemblance.

Attachments

• frank morris age progressed thumbnail.png
    frank morris age progressed thumbnail.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 966UMTX.jpg
    966UMTX.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 114
  • frank morris 1962 thumbnail.png
    frank morris 1962 thumbnail.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 36
It's a good match physically, down to the hazel eye color. Morris had tattoos but I saw nothing about the UID. Of course, anyone willing to obliterate their fingerprints...

I don't really believe that Morris or the Anglins made it, but what a story if they did!

Whoever this guy was, with the multiple identities, moving, and prints he probably did something that brought him to the attention of LE a long time ago, and I'd really like to know what it was. I'd say escaped prisoner or fleeing felon of some kind - he seemed quite worried about being found out.

Anyone want to have at tracing the whereabouts of the aliases?

Here's another possibility, John Anglin, who escaped with Morris from Alcatraz
http://www.usmarshals.gov/news/chron/2012/anglin-j.pdf

He's listed at 5'10, but I'm sure that was back in 1962, and age could account for shrinkage in height.

Eye color is wrong I think. However, I am looking at Don DeNevi's book "Escape From Alcatraz" and there are pix of the Anglin boys' siblings. Boy did one of their brothers and one of the sisters ever look like the UID in 1990!
I was going to try to contact the author to have him look at pix of the UID, but I can't find any info other than an old s-mail address in Menlo Park, Ca.
He thoughtfully put fingerprint codes for Morris and the Anglins in an appendix...which unfortunately does us no good in this case.
I hope no one is seriously trying to find addresses for "Roger S. Smith", "Gerald Brown", and "Peter Turner". The UID would be chuckling over people chasing their tails with common names like that, which may have been the idea. I have known persons with each of those names. Probably the old paper chase again. No one ever pretends to be "Ignatz Schmidlapp" or something.

The other alias, which is unusual, may get us somewhere. Did the UID slip up and use a name that could be traced in some way? Someone he knew? He seems too wily for that.

It's a good match physically, down to the hazel eye color. Morris had tattoos but I saw nothing about the UID. Of course, anyone willing to obliterate their fingerprints...

I don't really believe that Morris or the Anglins made it, but what a story if they did!

Whoever this guy was, with the multiple identities, moving, and prints he probably did something that brought him to the attention of LE a long time ago, and I'd really like to know what it was. I'd say escaped prisoner or fleeing felon of some kind - he seemed quite worried about being found out.

Anyone want to have at tracing the whereabouts of the aliases?

The UID is described as having very little body hair. One of the things that would cause permanent loss of body hair is laser or chemical treatment to remove tattoos. Or so a friend who had it done tells me.

Eye color is wrong I think. However, I am looking at Don DeNevi's book "Escape From Alcatraz" and there are pix of the Anglin boys' siblings. Boy did one of their brothers and one of the sisters ever look like the UID in 1990!
I was going to try to contact the author to have him look at pix of the UID, but I can't find any info other than an old s-mail address in Menlo Park, Ca.
He thoughtfully put fingerprint codes for Morris and the Anglins in an appendix...which unfortunately does us no good in this case.
I hope no one is seriously trying to find addresses for "Roger S. Smith", "Gerald Brown", and "Peter Turner". The UID would be chuckling over people chasing their tails with common names like that, which may have been the idea. I have known persons with each of those names. Probably the old paper chase again. No one ever pretends to be "Ignatz Schmidlapp" or something.

The other alias, which is unusual, may get us somewhere. Did the UID slip up and use a name that could be traced in some way? Someone he knew? He seems too wily for that.

There's a Harold H. Frysinger who was born in York, PA in 1921 or 1922 and died in Shasta CA in 2007. Ancestry.com seems to have more info about him but I can't get to it without getting a membership.

Magnum, the eye color isn't off. The San Angelo UID was described as having blue or hazel eyes. I also looked at the pics of the Anglin sisters, enlarged them, and now I think less the UID could have been Anglin due to certain facial features not in agreement with the Anglin sisters.

I think age might be a factor in him being Henry Lee Harbison. Still, hard living and/or medical issues can do a great deal of damage to a person's health and looks.

Spoke with the investigator today, and sent him an email containing the most pertinent info I had. Also asked for any additional rule outs besides Crawford and Whitey Bulgar. Will let you know if I hear back from him. He seemed to be very interested in the fact that Harbison had done time on The Rock.

Received a call from supervisor, Payne of the crime scene investigation unit, San Angelo PD, today. She was present when photos of their UID were taken at the hospital.

She remarked that Henry Lee Harbison had tattoos while their UID did not. I told her I was aware of that fact, but thought it possible their UID had had his removed. My thought on this was if someone went to the trouble of having his fingerprints removed what would stop him from having any tattoos removed? Probably very little. Neither she nor I have tattoos nor would recognize what the skin might look like after a successful tattoo removal. If their UID had had his removed, my guess is it most likely would have been a surgical removal, and not the present, preferred use of lasers for removal.

Further investigation down the HL Harbison alley would require a DNA sample from Harbison or relative. It is my understanding from the thread on Freda Denman that she and Harbison's son might be in or have been released now from an Arkansas prison. What are the chances a con or ex-con would consent to DNA testing? Fat chance would be my best guess, unless this has already been obtained.

San Angelo does have a DNA sample from their UID for comparison if ever a sample is taken from Harbison's son.

Supervisor Payne has sent me a list of rule outs which I will post shortly.

Here is the list of possibly identities we have ruled out as a match to our John Doe:

Able, Leigh Hobart (missing person number M533308537)

Shaw, William (missing from Las Vegas, NV. M342703117 missing person number)

Chaney, Lon missing from Bossier City, LA.

Anicker, William John missing from San Antonio, Tx.

Sneed, John from Tennessee but last seen in Texas

Bergevin, Jerry E. escaped from prison

Crawford, Elmer Kyle Melbourne, Australia (murdered his entire family)

Kimball, Howard from W. Virginia

James ( Whitey) Bulgar, FBI’s most wanted. He was arrested in California in 2011.

Here is the list of possibly identities we have ruled out as a match to our John Doe:

Able, Leigh Hobart (missing person number M533308537)

Shaw, William (missing from Las Vegas, NV. M342703117 missing person number)

Chaney, Lon missing from Bossier City, LA.

Anicker, William John missing from San Antonio, Tx.

Sneed, John from Tennessee but last seen in Texas

Bergevin, Jerry E. escaped from prison

Crawford, Elmer Kyle Melbourne, Australia (murdered his entire family)

Kimball, Howard from W. Virginia

James ( Whitey) Bulgar, FBI’s most wanted. He was arrested in California in 2011.
LON CHANEY? Really? Let me guess, ruled out on dentals; UID had normal canines and LC had prominent ones? :waitasec:

Did the judge ever publish his own book on this case like was suspected early on when he didn't want to give out too much info he had collected?

Bumping.

I posted this on Wensleuths' Mel Wiley page as well.

Could Mel Wiley be this UID?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/966umtx.html

This UID is a bit shorter and seems to be a bit older that Wiley would have been, but much fits. The Chief looked a lot older than his age anyway.
The best pic of Wiley is from, of all things, Weekly World News. I think with the passage of 20 years and shrinkage it sure looks like him. Note the shape of the chin and the nasolabial crease.

What do you think?

just wondering if we heard anything on the Henry Lee Harbison angle.

I ask and wonder if maybe if it was him, did he keep the daughter, Sherri Lynn... and then she ended up as the Jane Doe in Longview Tx....

Just a crazy thought.

I have interest if he does turn out to be Harbison, as I think I may have located Michael, the baby.. I have been working this for awhile and just need baby pics from this person to take it further

The fact that he had lived in Enid is interesting. Lots of the criminal elements that are being named on these boards have lived there... Floyd, Ace Banning,...well they were all connected maybe.

Just mustard.
Sorry.

I posted this on another thread, but I thought I'd copy the information here as well:

Do you suppose he could be Carl Eder?

Websleuths thread:

TX TX - San Angelo - WhtMale 966UMTX, 70-90, Lived Under Multiple ID's, Mar'05 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
And Doe listing:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/966umtx.html

The age would be right, and this gentleman seems to have a thin, angular face and prominent nose like Carl Eder's. Eye color is also on-both are described as having blue or hazel eyes. The thing that gives me pause is that Carl Eder is described as being tall and gangly, while the Texas Doe has a height of 5'7 given-not exactly what I'd describe as tall. However, age-related bone loss and muscle degeneration could account for losing several inches of height. My grandmother was 5'7 in her prime and 5'2 when she passed away. If he lost five inches of height in his old age, that would put him at 6'0-a height one could describe as tall.

Thoughts? I think it could be possible, but I'm a noob here. So any feedback and direction is quite welcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back