TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #49

Was it ever made public what Missy would have been doing the rest of that day, if she had not been murdered that morning? Was she supposed to go home first thing after leaving the church? Was she going to work or anywhere particular that day?

Just thinking about what Hexicon said earlier about it having to happen when Missy was alone without her kids. ... And I didn't recall ever hearing about what she was supposed to be doing later that day, if anything.

I lean toward believing that this was totally unplanned and the suspect was just out messing around, broke in to the church just cuz it was there and probably wanted in out of the rain (and/or with the thought of stealing the Sunday collection money in mind.) When I saw in the video where they trailed their hand along the wall as they walked, I immediately thought it looked like it may be a teenager or young (immature) adult.

I find it so hard to believe that the timing of the murder cut so close to the arrival of the Camp-ers, and how little time the killer had to make a getaway without being caught or even seen by anyone. But no one ever reported seeing any sign of this person that morning. Could it have been possible that the killer quickly shed the cop outfit while still in the church, stashed it all into a duffel bag and then somehow joined the other early arrivals in the parking lot, blending in as one of them? Not sure how they would have gotten out of the church to the parking lot in this scenario though. It wouldn't matter that the other early arrivals didn't know this person. Apparently, "walk-ins" were welcome to attend, so there could easily be someone new that no one recognized, w/out arousing suspicions. Or I suppose it would also work if if happened to be someone they DID recognize...

Was it ever made public what Missy would have been doing the rest of that day, if she had not been murdered that morning? Was she supposed to go home first thing after leaving the church? Was she going to work or anywhere particular that day?
On her Facebook post, she had 2 classes listed, the 2nd one was 9 AM, at the Midlothian Civic Center. It appears she would go home after the first class, the children would go to school, and then she would go lead the 2nd class.
MOO

Just thinking about what Hexicon said earlier about it having to happen when Missy was alone without her kids. ... And I didn't recall ever hearing about what she was supposed to be doing later that day, if anything.

I lean toward believing that this was totally unplanned and the suspect was just out messing around, broke in to the church just cuz it was there and probably wanted in out of the rain (and/or with the thought of stealing the Sunday collection money in mind.) When I saw in the video where they trailed their hand along the wall as they walked, I immediately thought it looked like it may be a teenager or young (immature) adult.

I find it so hard to believe that the timing of the murder cut so close to the arrival of the Camp-ers, and how little time the killer had to make a getaway without being caught or even seen by anyone. But no one ever reported seeing any sign of this person that morning. Could it have been possible that the killer quickly shed the cop outfit while still in the church, stashed it all into a duffel bag and then somehow joined the other early arrivals in the parking lot, blending in as one of them? Not sure how they would have gotten out of the church to the parking lot in this scenario though. It wouldn't matter that the other early arrivals didn't know this person. Apparently, "walk-ins" were welcome to attend, so there could easily be someone new that no one recognized, w/out arousing suspicions. Or I suppose it would also work if if happened to be someone they DID recognize...
I have questions:
Shouldn't it have been noticeable, if someone hadn't arrived (by vehicle), but suddenly mingled with those present? Wouldn't he have been questioned by the police, if he had been present? How is he supposed to have left the place after a possible questioning (without a vehicle)? I assume, no one would have thought of walking there?

Btw, Missy felt uncomfortable at her Gym for the last 2-3 weeks before her death and wasn't herself anymore. Do we think, the SP or an accomplice or even both stalked her there, only waiting for the day, they would execute the attack on her in the church? I think, otherwise it would have been a unbelievable coincidence, that these events were happening successively until the point of evil murder.

I have wondered if a campgoer could have stashed the gear somewhere and pretended to be shocked after the other campgoers found Missy. I would imagine there was scratches and bruises on them though, as its alleged that Missy put up a big fight.

I do not buy the idea of a teen goofing around, at all. They got in and out quickly without anyone seeing them and (apparently) leaving no trace of their exit. I can't picture a teen goofing around would have the presence of mind to conceal how they were transported to the scene, and would have been much, much sloppier if it was a first-time offender, awkward teen.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
On her Facebook post, she had 2 classes listed, the 2nd one was 9 AM, at the Midlothian Civic Center. It appears she would go home after the first class, the children would go to school, and then she would go lead the 2nd class.
MOO
I remember vague, that Missy planned to set up her camp training at a new facility soon. At the time, I saw a pic of this building. Do we assume, that the changing had something to do with the location, which was chosen to murder her? Something like: It has to be finished at the church; later on the options will be more limited (for reasons).
What was important: the location or the date?

I remember vague, that Missy planned to set up her camp training at a new facility soon.
The 9 AM class was moved from the Midlothian Conference Center to the Midlothian Civic Center, as noted on her Facebook announcement. Of course, saying it was moved doesn't mean much, perhaps the outside covered area is better at the Civic Center. There is no "set up her camp at a new facility", they move around from free outdoor locations to other outdoor locations. They don't have any facilities for their workouts.

Ok, so I have mentioned before how I believe the perp may be manipulating a long dark object and not actually trying to pry the door.

I have racked my mind over and over trying to figure out what it could possibly be.

Couldn’t it have been something like this? A very powerful flashlight to shine in her eyes then use it to attack?

Attachments

• IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 4
A Flashlight to Shine in Victim's Eyes?
Ok, so I have mentioned before how I believe the perp may be manipulating a long dark object and not actually trying to pry the door.
I have racked my mind over and over trying to figure out what it could possibly be.
Couldn’t it have been something like this? A very powerful flashlight to shine in her eyes then use it to attack?
@lonewanderer
"very powerful flashlight to shine in her eyes then use it to attack"
In a general sense, shining bright light to either temp'ly blind a victim or prevent victim from ID'ing assailant, is possible. A very good thought. Admittedly the chuch would likely have been rather dark.

NERD ALERT. ;) Pesky detail. 1000 lumens = approx. 75 watts.*
Would 75 watt incandescent bulb in vic's eyes temp'ly blind?
That's the ~ output of "1000 lumens bat light" flashlight pic in your post, so NOT a "very powerful flashlight."

I do not recall pix of SP manipulating object at door.
If it's 8 -10 - 12 inch flashlight in a long thin configuration, similar to your post's pic, IDK if a flashlight like that could produce enough lumens to temp'ly blind a victim. Maybe.

OTOH if SP was manipulating an object resembling pix here
(google search: amazon.com 100,000 lumen spotlights) **,
those could probably temp'ly blind victim. V. likely disorient.

And some flashlights & spotlights have a STROBE (blinking) mode, which may cause a disruption to the victim's vision which affects ability to use force; provides a visual and psychological hurdle to aggression; decreases the victim's direct and peripheral vision; induces fear.

W a low-ish or higher lumen flashlight or spotlight, perp could have used the STROBE mode to DISORIENT the victim.

The more I think about this, the more I like your idea.

===============================
* "Electrical power equivalents for different lamps"
"1100 lumens Minimum light output" is approx. equiv. to a 75 watt "Non-halogen incandescent" lamp.

** Note: Many flashlight & spotlight ads & listings contain a LOT of lumen output exaggeration. Some big-time like overstating the lumens by 10 times or more.

Last edited:
A Flashlight to Shine in Victim's Eyes?

@lonewanderer
"very powerful flashlight to shine in her eyes then use it to attack"
In a general sense, shining bright light to either temp'ly blind a victim or prevent victim from ID'ing assailant, is possible. A very good thought. Admittedly the chuch would likely have been rather dark.

NERD ALERT. ;) Pesky detail. 1000 lumens = approx. 75 watts.*
Would 75 watt incandescent bulb in vic's eyes temp'ly blind?
That's the ~ output of "1000 lumens bat light" flashlight pic in your post, so NOT a "very powerful flashlight."

I do not recall pix of SP manipulating object at door.
If it's 8 -10 - 12 inch flashlight in a long thin configuration, similar to your post's pic, IDK if a flashlight like that could produce enough lumens to temp'ly blind a victim. Maybe.

OTOH if SP was manipulating an object resembling pix here
(google search: amazon.com 100,000 lumen spotlights) **,
those could probably temp'ly blind victim. V. likely disorient.

And some flashlights & spotlights have a STROBE (blinking) mode, which may cause a disruption to the victim's vision which affects ability to use force; provides a visual and psychological hurdle to aggression; decreases the victim's direct and peripheral vision; induces fear.

W a low-ish or higher lumen flashlight or spotlight, perp could have used the STROBE mode to DISORIENT the victim.

The more I think about this, the more I like your idea.

===============================
* "Electrical power equivalents for different lamps"
"1100 lumens Minimum light output" is approx. equiv. to a 75 watt "Non-halogen incandescent" lamp.

** Note: Many flashlight & spotlight ads & listings contain a LOT of lumen output exaggeration. Some big-time like overstating the lumens by 10 times or more.
Its at this part.

I believe there is a chance the perp is not actually trying to pry the door here, but is manipulating an object.

Before they pull out the long black object, they mess around funny with that area of the door.

The frames are kinda choppy and its not so easy to tell, but I think they may be doing something like using their hip as one end and the door as the other in order to stabilize the object. For instance, if it is a large flashlight, they may be adjusting the settings on it or loading batteries into it.

IF this is what they are doing with the object, I have always wondered what object it could possibly be.

Attachments

• pry.png
    pry.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 22
If it’s a very long flashlight and not a prybar, why the headlamp?
( it’s not a flashlight - He’s/She’s fiddling with it, because he’s/ she’s rarely, if ever done the work with either a prybar and or a hammer for this purpose before. He/she has most certainly never used the two together before - but maybe he/she knows they ((the 2 tools)) can be used together for pre reno demo and also burglaries.) This person is neither a burglar nor a hired hit person - it’s a mentally deranged wanderer with a weak but narcissistic ego that couldn’t withstand being exposed by MB - who was a complete and utter surprise in the moment.

Last edited:

Vigil planned for Missy Bevers to mark 8 years since her murder

Thursday will mark eight years since Missy Bevers was murdered in Midlothian.
The wife and mother of three were bludgeoned to death inside a church before she was supposed to teach a workout class.
The case remains unsolved, and to mark Thursday's somber anniversary, a candlelight vigil is planned in her memory.
Bevers was a fitness instructor scheduled to lead a workout class at Creekside Church in Midlothian. When she arrived at about 4:30 a.m. to prepare, police said someone wearing tactical-like clothing was inside.
Carl D. Smith, Midlothian Chief of Police, said investigators are still searching for Bevers' killer to this day.
More at link . . .

Vigil planned for Missy Bevers to mark 8 years since her murder

Thursday will mark eight years since Missy Bevers was murdered in Midlothian.
The wife and mother of three were bludgeoned to death inside a church before she was supposed to teach a workout class.
The case remains unsolved, and to mark Thursday's somber anniversary, a candlelight vigil is planned in her memory.
Bevers was a fitness instructor scheduled to lead a workout class at Creekside Church in Midlothian. When she arrived at about 4:30 a.m. to prepare, police said someone wearing tactical-like clothing was inside.
Carl D. Smith, Midlothian Chief of Police, said investigators are still searching for Bevers' killer to this day.
More at link . . .
Wow 8 years. She and her family have really been let down.

The 9 AM class was moved from the Midlothian Conference Center to the Midlothian Civic Center, as noted on her Facebook announcement. Of course, saying it was moved doesn't mean much, perhaps the outside covered area is better at the Civic Center. There is no "set up her camp at a new facility", they move around from free outdoor locations to other outdoor locations. They don't have any facilities for their workouts.
I didn't read it on her Fb, but because I can't find a link now, it's all MOO relating the move from one building to another. To me it seemed at the time, as if certain places were used for the training. MOO again.

I recently watched a true crime show on a different case where a woman came forward with information to police because someone in the victims family was always out there talking about them. They were scared to come forward because the man who committed the murder was very abusive to them. That made me realize how important it is to keep Missy's story in the media. If someone that knows something is constantly reminded that they had people in their life that cared about them they might eventually come forward with information. That might be the only way Missy, Liz Barraza and other cases are solved.

Praying they solve this 8 year old case!
It’s awful not knowing who did this to Missy

My theory is still that this was a completely unplanned homicide.
I think the SWAT creep broke into the church and was exploring when he was startled by Missy.
I think SWAT creep was a video gaming young man possibly with an aspiration to be in law enforcement. He was wandering through the church for kicks while pretending to be a SWAT officer.

I believe Missy was killed impulsively so that SWAT creep wouldn’t be caught breaking and entering.
I do not think this was a pre-planned or targeted attack on Missy.
I think it was a very random and very unlucky occurrence.
I don’t think SWAT creep has ever told anyone what he did.
I think he has held his secret.
I do think he is a troubled & peculiar individual from the Midlothian, Waxahachie, Mansfield general area (local within around 30 minutes) when the crime occurred.

This area looks very different than it did 8 years ago. It has been much more built up but 8 years ago it was very desolate and it would be easy to think that a young man could roll play for kicks in this isolated church without being caught.

All IMHO

I think the SWAT creep broke into the church and was exploring when he was startled by Missy.
I think SWAT creep was a video gaming young man possibly with an aspiration to be in law enforcement. He was wandering through the church for kicks while pretending to be a SWAT officer.

I believe Missy was killed impulsively so that SWAT creep wouldn’t be caught breaking and entering.
I do think he is a troubled & peculiar individual from the Midlothian, Waxahachie, Mansfield general area (local within around 30 minutes) when the crime occurred.

This area looks very different than it did 8 years ago. It has been much more built up but 8 years ago it was very desolate and it would be easy to think that a young man could roll play for kicks in this isolated church without being caught.

All IMHO
I must respectfully disagree.

I do not believe this was random at all, I have expressed this for many reasons until I was exhausted.

All IMHO
This "young man" is severely mentally impaired, if he thought, walking the hall ways in a waddling gait , even supporting himself on the wall from time to time, would make some great impression afterwards. Did he expect seeing himself on surveillance camera, when police/the church would make the video available to the public? Was he looking forward to the event, to see himself smashing a few windows senselessly and not even with any enthusiasm? What a great role play, waddling around and destroying a bit of glass. What did he actually represent? A fully equipped police officer on duty for nothing? No criminal to be seen, no crime to be solved, no danger to be averted - nothing, nada. You would definitely have more fun with a video game, sitting in your gaming chair at home, munching Chio Chips.
I believe, the whole act only makes sense, when someone (a hitman?) waited for poor Missy and had an order to fulfill. During the carefully calculated waiting time, he laid false leads, that were intended to confuse the police and cause a lot of crime-solving work. Which actually worked well and to this day obscures the reason for Missy's murder. His Swat gear also worked very well, because until today it is unclear, who is hiding underneath: man or woman, young or older, slim or full figured. Unfortunately, perfect done by the SP.
MOO and my speculation.

Last edited:
It was either random or someone that wanted it to look random. The fact that the police haven't solved it yet makes me lean towards it being someone with no strong connection to missy. Which is why I believe it was more than likely a break-in gone wrong...Although some people do target others for little to no reason.<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
So rewatching the footage...at 1:09 it does look a HECK of a lot like someone has a long dark ponytail, but I think that's just and illusion. Trying to take screenshots of it did not show the (what I think is an illusion) like it does watching it real time.

I do want to point out a few things I never noticed:

It looks like they have something attached to their right shoulder at the 2:03/2:04 mark. It reminds me of when I would have my weapon attached to my body armor using a carabiner. I say that because it appears to swing back and forth.

Around the same mark at 2:04 - 2:05 it looks like they have something in their right pants pocket. It also looks like there is something attached to it and swaying a bit with some slack. At first glance this looks like a rope type of material like something you would use to pull down on a lamp to turn it off. I suspect it may be a rope or may be something like earbud cables.

Attachments

• what.png
    what.png
    42 KB · Views: 15
  • what2.png
    what2.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 15
  • What3.png
    What3.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 15

All IMHO
I wonder too along those lines if LE interviewing or consulting any potential tactical gear-focused LARP groups in the area would be helpful? Also, even if no such definitive group exists, some articles I read online mentioned that depending on the area and number of those available, LARPers interested in tactical gear may often meet up and get to know one another on a personal basis. In particular, gun ranges, areas or parks that allow visitors to hike, hunt or practice shooting, and civilian-focused training sessions on responding to mass shootings were mentioned as popular sites where this LARPer community likes to socialize. If the perp is a LARPer and is engaged in a local LARPer group or organization LE could both potentially screen and search such sites in their area and consult other participants in their endeavor to identify MB’s killer or possible POIs?

There are also online communities, such as on Facebook and gaming websites, that offer military and security-focused LARPers opportunities to engage and interact with one another virtually. Perhaps could be helpful to LE as well as they try to identify, track or profile the perp as well?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoptti
Back