WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we probably can rule out Fabrizio de Angelis then, will we ever solve this case....
Why did he not want his real identification to be known....

Sounds like we probably can rule out Fabrizio de Angelis then, will we ever solve this case....
Even if this is a match, we may never know. This discussion contains too many private details and photos, which the family of the deceased would never want to make public. Also, some people feel embarrassed and ashamed that a loved one has committed suicide.
Rest In Peace, Lyle Stevick.

I think you are fight, there is usch an unfortunate stigma attached to suicide. There are so many suicide victims that take their lives and remove identifikation and recognizable Items and take their lives in far away places.
But would Lyles information still be out there on Doe Network etc if he has been identified??

But would Lyles information still be out there on Doe Network etc if he has been identified??
I think it could. A few months ago I notified DN about some cases that have been solved (the person has been identified). I got an answer back from them, but so far they haven't changed anything. Maybe they are verifying the sources.
I don't know how this works.. :)

Wondering if " Lyle " was an actor or student who might have played/ or wanted to play the part of Lyle S. in a play based on the book, " YMRT " by J.C.O.?

At the end of the page it says:
His profile has been removed from Doe Network. Someone from WS emailed Todd Matthews at the Doe Network about him. He responded that he didn't have very much information yet; he had been in touch with the de Angelis family and Fabrizio had been located deceased. I'm not a member of PL Europe so can't update his post there.

That was me that posted that full version of post

That's pretty much what you're going to find for Fabrizio because I updated a few places since Ambercat contacted Todd & found he was located deceased. You're best bet is to search for an obituary; I did not find one. Can also try to find someone that can help on genealogy sites

I e-mailed Todd Matthews at the Doe Network about Fabrizio. He responded that he didn't have very much information yet he had been in touch with the de Angelis family and Fabrizio had been located deceased.

I realise that it's already been determined that Fabrizio is not Lyle, but for future use I speak some Italian and can tell you what this guy's Facebook page says, but I don't think I'm allowed.

Am intrigued with Lyle's case and am still playing catch-up on the threads, but wanted to know if this had been found/discussed before:

Rootsweb has only 19 entries for the surname Stevik. RL getting in the way here, so I haven't had time to go through all of them thoroughly yet, but the second entry indicates the Stevik surname is found in Whitman County, WA:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

The second entry for Clyde S***ik indicates his wife was born in Penawawa, Whitman County, WA:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cmfrmn&id=I71735

A google search for "Clyde S***ik" also brings up a hit for a Clyde S***ick in Olympia, WA

HTH and will keep reading and thinking about this case along with the rest of you.

ETA: Sorry, I see my first rootsweb link won't take you directly to the page I was referring to so you'll have to type in the surname and it will bring up the 19 entries.

I realise that it's already been determined that Fabrizio is not Lyle, but for future use I speak some Italian and can tell you what this guy's Facebook page says, but I don't think I'm allowed.

Am intrigued with Lyle's case and am still playing catch-up on the threads, but wanted to know if this had been found/discussed before:

Rootsweb has only 19 entries for the surname Stevik. RL getting in the way here, so I haven't had time to go through all of them thoroughly yet, but the second entry indicates the Stevik surname is found in Whitman County, WA:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

The second entry for Clyde S***ik indicates his wife was born in Penawawa, Whitman County, WA:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cmfrmn&id=I71735

A google search for "Clyde S***ik" also brings up a hit for a Clyde S***ick in Olympia, WA

HTH and will keep reading and thinking about this case along with the rest of you.

ETA: Sorry, I see my first rootsweb link won't take you directly to the page I was referring to so you'll have to type in the surname and it will bring up the 19 entries.

Are either of you in the FB group? These are things that can be discussed/ sleuthed easier there

Can you identify Lyle Stevic FB group

Lyle now has a FB group as well as FB page

Lyle Stevik Facebook page

Can You Identify Lyle Stevik? FB Group

The Can You Identify Lyle Stevik? FB group used to be public; meaning everyone could see & read it. A few weeks ago; FB started showing public FB groups on our profile; so that all of our FB friends could now see where we were posting. FB allows you to edit your profile to hide public groups but there were some members that could not; so she made it closed. Closed means that people can find it but no one can read posts unless they're a member which works better so that everything can get sleuthed better.

An update: I never received any FB responses from anyone named Amanda Park, not surprisingly.
My opinions are pure conjecture.
I think that the significance of the name Lyle Stevik cannot be underestimated.
I also believe that this man suicided because after Sept 11, it was obvious to anyone who had no official documentation that they would inevitably be examined and come under a governmental scrutiny which would lead to them being exposed as an illegal immigrant.
Illegal immigrant status would certainly contribute to the lack of easy identification of Lyle. I therefore believe that he was possibly an illegal immigrant.
The thought of this future scrutiny leading to the prospect of deportation to a country outside of the US, for example a place such as Bosnia-Herzegovina from which many had run in horror at the 'ethnic cleansing' that occurred there after the NATO bombings, could easily have contributed to the factors that would make one who had witnessed these atrocities want to 'end it all'.
A lot of Eastern European names contain an ending like 'ic', 'ivic' and etc so it's possible that Stevik was close to Lyle's real surname.
I also think that the name 'Lyle' is similar in may ways to 'Ille' which is also a common Eastern European first name.
I also believe that this wasn't the only false name Lyle had used, and that he had used numerous others.
This name 'Lyle' was the one that he specifically chose for the purpose of leaving behind after his suicide and he had never used it before.
I also believe that he walked a very long way which was the method by which he lost the weight that it is speculated he had lost, hence the wear on his belt.
In case there's another direct link of some type to the actual book, 'You Must remember This', I have added a comment in regards to this case on the book review site, 'Goodreads' under the topic, 'You Must Remember This', in the hope that the more people who are made aware of the case might turn up something.
No matter how alone one might feel there's always someone who thinks of them with fondness and who wonders about them with longing. I refuse to agree with Lyle that there would be no one longing for him today.
I get the feeling that a connection might be found in Eastern Europe, especially the aforementioned B.H. or some other country which had a bloody civil war in the nineties.

(...) I also believe that this man suicided because after Sept 11, it was obvious to anyone who had no official documentation that they would inevitably be examined and come under a governmental scrutiny which would lead to them being exposed as an illegal immigrant. (...)

Your theory made me wonder if his relatives were illegal immigrants too. If that's the case maybe they didn't report his disappearance :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat