WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nampn.org/cases/mander_narinder.html

This guy looks similar to Lyle. The timing is off by a month.
Here is another article too
http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/index.php?showtopic=2103

Figured it was worth putting up : )

RCMP Investigate 2001 Disappearance Of Man ‘Caught In Crossfire’

RCMP E Division spokesman Sgt. Tim Shields said Thursday police believe Mander was murdered shortly after the shooting. His body was never found.
Shields said Mander made 15 calls to his friend on his cellphone that evening and cellphone site records show he was being transported to numerous locations throughout Surrey prior to Bhatti’s murder.

Witnesses to the murder saw a red Dodge Caravan fleeing the scene and followed it, but gunfire from the Caravan disabled their vehicle near 82 Avenue and 128 Street.

“It was sometime later that evening when we believe Ned was murdered,” he said.

If the insinuation is that Lyle resembles Mander in the Mander/Bhatti incident in October, I don't see how it could possibly relate to the discovery of Lyle's body in September.

Great news - the FB group now has 73 members. It seems that Lyle is attracting the attention of more and more people. Looks like 2014 might be a good year for us.

Keep up the good work, everybody!

Just a few thoughts; I checked out the FB page, Google searched LS and read about half this thread tonight.

When I saw his postmortem picture, my immediate impression was Arikara, from Montana/North Dakota area. He looks like several young guys who were in University classes with me who were from Ft Peck, MT or Mandaree, ND.

His height would be comparable to some Lakota/Nakota/Dakota or Arikara.

I would check United Tribes Technical College in Bismarck, North Dakota.

I wonder if this story was ever covered by Indian Country Today Media Network.

You're right, he does have that northern plains/southern Canada look to him. Especially the heavy eyebrows. The Washington area reservations were looked at but I don't know how far afield that went.

You're right, he does have that northern plains/southern Canada look to him. Especially the heavy eyebrows. The Washington area reservations were looked at but I don't know how far afield that went.

I went to 3 FB pages last night, just to compare the picture of LS to the guys. I can think of several people I know who have similar features to him.

I never looked at this thread before because I didn't know the connection to AI/NA. Where he was found is an AI area, the motel address he gave is AI, as well. Does anyone know if coldcaseman still reads/posts here?

Well, Hello!

I've been briefly lurking, but I finally thought of something significant to say about one of the cases I've been looking at. Pardon me if its been said already (I've read the first two threads and for the life of me cannot figure out where the "search" form is. The FAQ says it should be on the nav bar, but I don't see it. I did a site: search through Google, but didn't see anything that stood out. Anyway...)

Maybe Lyle lost weight so that the closet bar could support him. I've been looking at closet bars and they don't necessarily hold enough to support a robust adult male (some high-end ones do). I can't imagine a run-of-the-mill roadside motel having anything that heavy duty, anyway; people staying in a motel don't tend to bring 150 lbs. of clothing with them. (It wouldn't surprise me at this juncture if hotel suppliers actually make them hold *less* weight for the very reason of suicides in hotels). He was very deliberate about his planning, so this would not surprise me at all.

As someone mentioned before, he may have been gay. That resonated with me, also. His pacing gave me a sense of feeling he had done something wrong (or felt was wrong) and was deliberating, but in the end, this was the only way to fix it.

Any thoughts?

Well, Hello!

I've been briefly lurking, but I finally thought of something significant to say about one of the cases I've been looking at. Pardon me if its been said already (I've read the first two threads and for the life of me cannot figure out where the "search" form is. The FAQ says it should be on the nav bar, but I don't see it. I did a site: search through Google, but didn't see anything that stood out. Anyway...)

Maybe Lyle lost weight so that the closet bar could support him. I've been looking at closet bars and they don't necessarily hold enough to support a robust adult male (some high-end ones do). I can't imagine a run-of-the-mill roadside motel having anything that heavy duty, anyway; people staying in a motel don't tend to bring 150 lbs. of clothing with them. (It wouldn't surprise me at this juncture if hotel suppliers actually make them hold *less* weight for the very reason of suicides in hotels). He was very deliberate about his planning, so this would not surprise me at all.

As someone mentioned before, he may have been gay. That resonated with me, also. His pacing gave me a sense of feeling he had done something wrong (or felt was wrong) and was deliberating, but in the end, this was the only way to fix it.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to Ws and thanks for the idea!
Good point about the closet bar being strong enough, something one would not usually anticipate.
He did seem quite careful, considerate even, in the planning, he asked to change rooms from the side where kids were playing outside for example.

Well, Hello!

Hi and welcome! :loveyou:

I'm not sure how you're viewing the site (mobile device, computer, etc) but the search is a drop-down menu almost directly below the O in the header graphic, two to the left of "Log out," which is on the end. At least, that is where I see it.

Any thoughts?

Interesting thought... I suppose it is possible, if he thought that hanging was the best way to commit suicide with the greatest chance of success without leaving a mess for someone else to clean up.

Cheers,
tcg

I can't stop thinking of the connection with the UID in Deep River (Laurentian Hills), Ontario.

http://canyouidentifyme.blogspot.ca/2007/10/bret-stone-unidentified-male-found-deep.html

Has anyone let either of the respective police forces know about the death on the other side of the continent and a possible connection, yet?

I'm missing something, I think. What's the connection between a hiker who died of overexertion in Canada and a guy who committed suicide on the other side of the continent?

Hi and welcome! :loveyou:

I'm not sure how you're viewing the site (mobile device, computer, etc) but the search is a drop-down menu almost directly below the O in the header graphic, two to the left of "Log out," which is on the end. At least, that is where I see it.

Cheers,
tcg

Strange. Now the search dropdown is there. I made a screenshot before I posted and it wasn't there. Maybe you have to post before it will give you search access?

Thanks! :cheer:

I can't stop thinking of the connection with the UID in Deep River (Laurentian Hills), Ontario.

http://canyouidentifyme.blogspot.ca/2007/10/bret-stone-unidentified-male-found-deep.html

Has anyone let either of the respective police forces know about the death on the other side of the continent and a possible connection, yet?

Someone has reported the similarities in the two cases Darkblue - it's on the Deep River thread a few pages back from the current last page. For a short while 'Brett' was listed as a Criminal Investigation (also on the thread) but changed back to Upper Ottawa Valley OPP. No one seems to know if this was an error or true investigation.

The similarities in hiding their identities and how they presented themselves in life are a little uncanny.

Well, Hello!

Welcome!
There is also another way to search; each post has a search option where advanced search allows you to search user names. Also if you click Lyle Stevik; you can search all of the posts in this section

Yes, I realize that they were discussed before, I was part of the conversation, too.

I was just wondering if there had been any further linkages drawn between the two since then.

In response to carbuff, as Woodland pointed out, they died around the same time, in isolated areas, albeit far from each other. They didn't seem to be homeless, and were in seemingly good health before they died.

They each had a connection to "rapid weight loss" (Washington UID had dropped several pounds before death, and Ontario UID had weight loss supplements with him or had ingested them prior to death).

They both died within the same timeframe, in September 2001.

They both had potential clues as to their identities; personal effects, handwriting samples (Washington UID), hints to locations that they may have connections to, but nothing ever turned up.

Hi, I've been following this case for awhile now. I don't have as much experience as most of you on here. I posted something awhile back on this thread, but most people didn't see what I saw. I thought Lyle looked a little like a man named Peter Falconio, who disappeared in Australia a few months before Lyle's death. I especially think the raised left eye brows look alike. The reports say that Lyle had lost weight. I think if you take 30 lbs off Peter, it might look like Lyle. Peter was from England, on vacation with his girlfriend Joanne Lees. Before they left England, there were reports that Peter was asking how to fake his death and collect life insurance. In Australia, they found blood, but no body. What if Joanne and Peter planned to collect the insurance money and live in the US. (Would they even look in the US for a Brit, missing in Australia?) Maybe Joanne was supposed to meet him in the US after everything settled down and she double crossed him? That would explain the tense phone call, the weight loss (he was out of money) and the suicide (he knew she wasn't coming and he was stuck).

Hi, I've been following this case for awhile now. I don't have as much experience as most of you on here. I posted something awhile back on this thread, but most people didn't see what I saw. I thought Lyle looked a little like a man named Peter Falconio, who disappeared in Australia a few months before Lyle's death. I especially think the raised left eye brows look alike. The reports say that Lyle had lost weight. I think if you take 30 lbs off Peter, it might look like Lyle. Peter was from England, on vacation with his girlfriend Joanne Lees. Before they left England, there were reports that Peter was asking how to fake his death and collect life insurance. In Australia, they found blood, but no body. What if Joanne and Peter planned to collect the insurance money and live in the US. (Would they even look in the US for a Brit, missing in Australia?) Maybe Joanne was supposed to meet him in the US after everything settled down and she double crossed him? That would explain the tense phone call, the weight loss (he was out of money) and the suicide (he knew she wasn't coming and he was stuck).

I just googled this guy and found an article that says someone was charged with his murder in 2005.

So, idk.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/07/peter-falconios-killer-bradley-murdoch-withdraws-appeal-against-conviction

I just googled this guy and found an article that says someone was charged with his murder in 2005.

So, idk.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/07/peter-falconios-killer-bradley-murdoch-withdraws-appeal-against-conviction

Yes. It is one of those cases where there are a lot of holes and inconsistencies, though. it's been awhile since I looked into it in depth, but if I remember correctly, the evidence didn't match up to Joanne's story. No body was found and some believe that he was not dead. Just my opinion....

What phone call, ezuke? I thought Lyle hadn't made any phone calls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz