When Do You Think The Retrial Will Begin?

When do you think the retrial will begin?

• January

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • February

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • March

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • April

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • 12th of Never

Votes: 63 46.3%

• Total voters
There will be a compromise/deal on/near the eve of re-trial.

I found your post interesting, I just can't imagine any type of compromise. What type of compromise are you thinking of?

Wishful vote for February 2014. Pigs flying are optional.

Although the state of NC is quite backward on many things, and I will not list them, in NC there are only 2 possibilities for punishment for Guilty of 1st Degree Murder: Life Without Parole (and it indeed means no parole ever; NC has done away with parole, too), or Death, if it is a DP case. In the penalty phase of the trial, if the jury does not vote 12 to 0 on Death (if it is a DP case), the penalty defaults to LWOP. Period. And the sentence is pronounced by the judge as soon as the verdict is rendered -- the same day, and this goes for any NC trial. The prisoner (if guilty) is taken from the county lock-up (if in jail) to a state penitentiary immediately or the following day.

Pardon the diversion.

A new jury? I know that is what will happen in AZ for this case, but how much will the new jury know or be told about the case? How long does a penalty re-trial typically take? IMO, it seems that this would be unfair to the people of the state of Arizona, especially if the crime is really vile.

Please know that I'm not putting down the state of AZ in any way, I'm just making observations... And it bothers me -- will the new jury know the extent of how awful and cruel CMJA was to the good, honest & generous Travis? Grrrrr. I worry.
icon9.gif

Although the state of NC is quite backward on many things, and I will not list them, in NC there are only 2 possibilities for punishment for Guilty of 1st Degree Murder: Life Without Parole (and it indeed means no parole ever; NC has done away with parole, too), or Death, if it is a DP case. In the penalty phase of the trial, if the jury does not vote 12 to 0 on Death (if it is a DP case), the penalty defaults to LWOP. Period. And the sentence is pronounced by the judge as soon as the verdict is rendered -- the same day, and this goes for any NC trial. The prisoner (if guilty) is taken from the county lock-up (if in jail) to a state penitentiary immediately or the following day.

Pardon the diversion.

A new jury? I know that is what will happen in AZ for this case, but how much will the new jury know or be told about the case? How long does a penalty re-trial typically take? IMO, it seems that this would be unfair to the people of the state of Arizona, especially if the crime is really vile.

Please know that I'm not putting down the state of AZ in any way, I'm just making observations... And it bothers me -- will the new jury know the extent of how awful and cruel CMJA was to the good, honest & generous Travis? Grrrrr. I worry.
icon9.gif

Hiya BD! :seeya:

The new jury will be brought up to speed on the gulit/aggravation phases of the trial (and all jurors must agree with the verdicts in those two phases, they only will decide the penalty), they expect the penalty retrial to last a good 2 months, there was a lot of testimony (defendant alone was on the stand for 18 days) and 600 or so exhibits, don't know the number of how many people testified. I don't know if they'll all be called back to testify (kinda doubt) or the jury will mostly see video of previous testimony but it won't be a short retrial from all accounts.

AZ has spent at least 1.7 mil on the original trial (and that may only be the defense cost, not sure there, hard numbers are hard to come by), no idea how much more will be paid out before they put her away forever but I truly feel for the taxpayers of AZ, what a great lot of money spent and to be spent. I do like NC's system, dragging things out like this is a favor to no one.

P.S. You got my 4000th post. lol

This partial post from geevee:

P.S. You got my 4000th post. lol

:cheers:

to

our Super Websleuther

:websleuther:geevee:websleuther:

for

4,000 posts!!!

:fireworks2:

geevee, I am proud to be the recipient of your 4,000 post!! And hangin' in for that many posts takes time, smarts, doin' it right, loyalty and did I say time!? And we are glad you're with us!!

Many thanks :tyou: for your good answer -- now I feel better.

Whew, that penalty phase re-trial will be akin to a regular re-trial of the guilt phase trial. The jurors will be in for a long haul, won't they? And it will be interesting to see what the defense presents and how well they do it. And the mitigation part should be short, short, short. "He said ugly things about her to his friends; he used her for sex and never planned to marry her. That's not nice. She didn't deserve such treatment. The defense rests."

Thanks again & keep posting your usual good, helpful and informative posts, geevee. :drumroll:​

This partial post from geevee:

:cheers:

to

our Super Websleuther

:websleuther:geevee:websleuther:

for

4,000 posts!!!

:fireworks2:

geevee, I am proud to be the recipient of your 4,000 post!! And hangin' in for that many posts takes time, smarts, doin' it right, loyalty and did I say time!? And we are glad you're with us!!

Many thanks :tyou: for your good answer -- now I feel better.

Whew, that penalty phase re-trial will be akin to a regular re-trial of the guilt phase trial. The jurors will be in for a long haul, won't they? And it will be interesting to see what the defense presents and how well they do it. And the mitigation part should be short, short, short. "He said ugly things about her to his friends; he used her for sex and never planned to marry her. That's not nice. She didn't deserve such treatment. The defense rests."

Thanks again & keep posting your usual good, helpful and informative posts, geevee. :drumroll:​

You are one of the reasons I feel so at home here, BD. :loveyou:

If JSS keeps with her ruling:

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/112013/m6041522.pdf

No tweets during trial and no video until a verdict is reached. Rumor will reign. :facepalm:

And that does sound like the long and short of the defense, doesn't it? :scared:

Yep -- Read the doc, and it is indeed short & sweet. Looks like it came from the defense. WTH? Ennyway, geevee, we'll get the low-down on it, as it happens, if & when it happens...
icon12.gif

And thank you for your kind remarks. Made me feel good!:blushing:

There are so many good folks on WS! And it's great running into someone we've known on this case or that. Some are wise, some are just plain fun, some are both, etc., etc.

But I'm still a bit worried about the Arias penalty trial.

I wonder how she's been doing -- isn't she in a new jail/prison now? Is she still the Belle of the Ball? Sly one, isn't she? To some, anyway... Grrrrrr. I still find it so hard to believe that she so horribly snuffed-out the life of such a good man. She really knew how to prey on the weaknesses of men. Does she regret any of it for one single minute? That's why she needs a lifetime to mature a bit and think about it.

I must stop or I'll go on forever.

See you at Abaroa or this, whichever comes first!

I don't see this penalty phase starting until sometime in the spring based on all the delays, stalling and motions that continue to be filed. Someone has to take the reigns and put a stop to this.

Just another delay.

Tweets

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 5m

We just walked in and were told to leave. Hearing was pushed off until a date in the future. Fml

When will it start? Not soon enough. Adding, it will go on too long and will have too much drama even if its off-camera.

My Guess:

I'm also going to guess it's going to happen when pigs fly, or hell freezes over.

At least they won't allow cameras as you know it's going to be a :trainwreck:

The re-trial can't start soon enough, whenever that is.

Not any time soon. Surprised about the deadlock on the penalty despite a guilty verdict.

I voted for February, although the twelfth of never sounds more accurate. Since the judge denied both motions today, no change of venue and and no separate void dire of jurors, I think a date will be set on the 13th. Then I think JM will postpone the Chrisman trial so he can get this woman out of his way and get her locked up for good. What a nuisance she is. Hey, maybe it will start in January. Now wouldn't that be a shock for the CM?

So what I realized is that I don't really care. I just want to make sure it is done right so it holds whatever the verdict is. I just want her to know this time, That is that..

So what I realized is that I don't really care. I just want to make sure it is done right so it holds whatever the verdict is. I just want her to know this time, That is that..

Hi Scarlett, :seeya:
Haven't seen your posts in a while. How have you been? You are always the level headed, fair minded thinker. I am the passionate, let's get her locked up and throw away the key and move on kind of person. Good to see your post.

Hi Scarlett, :seeya:
Haven't seen your posts in a while. How have you been? You are always the level headed, fair minded thinker. I am the passionate, let's get her locked up and throw away the key and move on kind of person. Good to see your post.

Hi there! Im around.. Nothing big in the fire so I am skirting around the site :)

Good to see you!

According to Steven Alexander the trial won't begin till mid-February. His post is on the State versus JA facebook page.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back