Where's Raven???

JerseyGirl said:
Okay, now that I've bombarded the thread with everything you could ever want to know about Smith Mountain Lake (and then some), let's really think about this.

The rumor is that Detective Vaughan just returned from Smith Mountain Lake after conducting some interviews. What can this mean?

Is this a place where Raven and Janet might have gone together? Well, it's been 9 months since the murder. Would anyone even remember the two of them after all of this time? Unless they had been there somewhat regularly or stayed at the same place each time they went. Otherwise, think back to your own vacations. Would you remember a couple that stayed near you one time nearly a year ago or longer? I probably wouldn't remember a couple that stayed near me last weekend.

Even if we assume that Janet and Raven had been there together, what would that have to do with the investigation 9 months later? Are they looking to see if Raven went to that lake with another woman while Janet was still alive? That seems like a long-shot, IMO. Or are they possibly looking to see if Raven visited the area AFTER the murder? And how soon after the murder? And for what purpose? And what about that would be of interest to LE?

And if they are interviewing, clearly they must be interviewing year-round residents. It wouldn't make sense to interview people that are only staying there for the week, (if there even ARE any renters in January). So is the area in which they're interviewing a residential area only? Are there rental properties mixed in?

In any case, it seems to me that Raven must have visited this lake and it must have been more than once. It is also my opinion that they are interested in any visits Raven might have made to this lake after the murder as opposed to before the murder.
Great questions JG, I need to think about this a while.

I'm thinking it would residents and perhaps businesses in the area, there may be rental properties in the area. I do believe purchasing in this area is WAY out of Raven's League IMO.

juliagoulia said:
The SVU Men's Soccer team played Ferrum College (located near Smith Mountain Lake) on October 20, 2005. This is the Thursday after homecoming weekend, and we all know Raven attended homecoming. The lake is about 30 miles from the college.

Probably unrelated, but I thought I would throw it out there. Here is the link to Soccer Team's schedule:

http://207.42.162.221/athletics/index.php?sportid=10&mode=schedule
Hmmm wonder if he went after SVU Homecoming and someone saw him there and called in some tips. 30 Miles is nothing from SVU.

I'm hoping there are tips coming in with the reward out there. I do wish there was more we could do to spread the word about the Reward. I think it needs to hit Utah, and there needs to be more News Coverage in North Carolina and Virginia, for those people that may still live in Virginia that went to school with Janet and may have known Raven.

Doh, thanks for clarifying, I have been traveling lots lately, and I am a bit out of it.

ewwwinteresting said:
I wonder if he is planning to attend this. Doesn't he have some relative (an uncle maybe) in Vermont or somewhere up there that doesn this type of stuff? If I remember right, they were on a team together in some sort of adventure race......OR this may be another place raven goes to look for the murderer???:rolleyes:
.yep..you do remember correctly ewws..........i found your original post on that:

ewwwinteresting
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_753937", true);

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewwwinteresting

http://www.adventureracingzone.com/...t=293&view=next

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:19 pm
Team Razbo, Mt Snow, VT

Our Female racer dropped out and we are desperatly looking for a replacement for this race. We are a novice team just looking for experience and some fun. Send me an e-mail if you are interested. ar@abaroa.org

..Uh oh......seems the raven "replacement" didn't help the team much. Placed fifth out of six teams??

http://www.dnet.net/racingahead/ARS...ace2results.htm

juliagoulia said:
The SVU Men's Soccer team played Ferrum College (located near Smith Mountain Lake) on October 20, 2005. This is the Thursday after homecoming weekend, and we all know Raven attended homecoming. The lake is about 30 miles from the college.
Hmmm, interesting. But would this matter at all to the investigation other than perhaps to help show the pattern of Raven's behavior after Janet's death? Aside from that, I can't imagine what about a visit by Raven to Smith Mountain Lake 6 months after Janet's murder would require interviews. IMO, it has to be something else that would lead detectives all the way there - something more significant. How far is this lake from Durham? (Good searching, JG.)

JerseyGirl said:
Okay, now that I've bombarded the thread with everything you could ever want to know about Smith Mountain Lake (and then some), let's really think about this.

The rumor is that Detective Vaughan just returned from Smith Mountain Lake after conducting some interviews. What can this mean?

Is this a place where Raven and Janet might have gone together? Well, it's been 9 months since the murder. Would anyone even remember the two of them after all of this time? Unless they had been there somewhat regularly or stayed at the same place each time they went. Otherwise, think back to your own vacations. Would you remember a couple that stayed near you one time nearly a year ago or longer? I probably wouldn't remember a couple that stayed near me last weekend.

Even if we assume that Janet and Raven had been there together, what would that have to do with the investigation 9 months later? Are they looking to see if Raven went to that lake with another woman while Janet was still alive? That seems like a long-shot, IMO. Or are they possibly looking to see if Raven visited the area AFTER the murder? And how soon after the murder? And for what purpose? And what about that would be of interest to LE?

And if they are interviewing, clearly they must be interviewing year-round residents. It wouldn't make sense to interview people that are only staying there for the week, (if there even ARE any renters in January). So is the area in which they're interviewing a residential area only? Are there rental properties mixed in?

In any case, it seems to me that Raven must have visited this lake and it must have been more than once. It is also my opinion that they are interested in any visits Raven might have made to this lake after the murder as opposed to before the murder.
You know this is an interesting point - this lake does seem to be, at least primarily, a place to go in the spring and summer, when the weather is nice, good for water activities, etc., - so if DV is going there NOW, this time of year, to investigate, it says to me one or two things -

1) going there to talk to someone(s) he knows are there this time of year

or

2) perhaps going there to a visit or see a particular house or property for some reason or another? (and then perhaps talk to anyone around that area that's in residence now?)

Again, an interesting question would be, as someone else posed, to know if Raven and/or Janet ever went to SML, or, if they knew anyone with a house at SML. With such relative proximity to SVU, it wouldn't be surprising to me at all if they've made a visit to this lake before, or, if they knew someone with a house in that area!

And the obvious: if DV was at SML, recently, investigating SOMETHING having to do with Janet's murder, after all these months, then SOMETHING about SML is critically important I would think!

JerseyGirl said:
Hmmm, interesting. But would this matter at all to the investigation other than perhaps to help show the pattern of Raven's behavior after Janet's death? Aside from that, I can't imagine what about a visit by Raven to Smith Mountain Lake 6 months after Janet's murder would require interviews. IMO, it has to be something else that would lead detectives all the way there - something more significant. How far is this lake from Durham? (Good searching, JG.)
You know, it also makes me wonder - if DV was investigating at this lake just recently, could it be based on some TIP he's received since the reward was offered??????????

I'd be interested to know whether or not all Raven's previous haunts, employers and residences, neighbors, vacation spots, churches, friends, acquantainces are being questioned.

That would definitely creep me out.

SouthEastSleuth said:
And the obvious: if DV was at SML, recently, investigating SOMETHING having to do with Janet's murder, after all these months, then SOMETHING about SML is critically important I would think!
Exactly. This definitely deserves some intense digging. What would make that location so important?

2006 Smith Mountain Lake Calendar of Events

April 1, 2006
Wal-Mart BFL Bass Fishing Tournament

April 28, 2006
3rd SMLCC/P Business Expo

May 6, 2006
Take Pride In SML

May 8, 2006
10th Annual Corporate Cup

May 2006
SML Poker Run

Tom Maynard Memorial Poker Run
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
June 3, 2006
Pig River Ramble Canoe Race and Fun Float

June 2006
Juneteenth Celebration

July 2006
Fireworks Display

July 2006
Virginia Amateur Sports Bike Race

August 12, 2006
15th Annual Antique Boat Show

September 23 and 24, 2006
17th Annual Wine Festival

August 15 - October 15
4th Annual SMLCC/P Photo Contest

October 6, 7, 8, 2006
SML Charity Home Tour

October 14, 2006
SML Fall Festival

October 19, 2006
SMLCC/P's Fall Golf Classic

November 4, 2006
4th Annual SML Fall Chili Festival
[/font]

ReMax Lakefront Realty, Inc. - Let us show you Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

2005 Calendarof Events

April 1-2 Wal-Mart Bass Fishing League Tournament

April 29-May 1 In-Water Boat Show at Bridgewater PlazaApril 22SML Chamber/Partnership Business Expo at Bridgewater Plaza

May 7 Take Pride in Smith Mountain Lake
Annual lake clean-up effort by the entire lake community.

May 7 The 7th Annual SML Triathlon at Smith Mountain Lake State Park

May 9 The 9th Annual Corporate Cup Golf Tournament
At The Water's Edge Country Club

May 21 Tom Maynard Memorial Poker Run
Boating safety is the emphasis of this fundraising event for local organizations. The card game involves boating participants stopping at designated points to select playing cards. Card hands are revealed at the barbeque and awards ceremony. Prizes for best appearing boat and best card hand are awarded.

June 4 Pigg River Ramble Canoe Race and Fun Float
This day-long event (9 a.m.-8 p.m.)also includes great food and bluegrass music.

June 15 SMLCC/P 3rd Annual Photo Contest

June 18 Juneteeth Celebration
Freedom is the focus of this emancipation celebration at Booker T. Washington National Monument. Tour the Burroughs plantation and enjoy music by local gospel groups.

July 3 Fireworks Display
28th Annual Fireworks Spectacular at Smith Mountain Dock and Lodge in Pittsylvania County. Enjoy the display by boat or car.

Aug. 13 - 15th Annual Antique Boat Show
This lakeside event is held at The Pointe at Mariners Landing from 1-5 p.m. It includes antique wooden boats, classic cars, food, crafts and activities for all ages. Visit www.woodenboats.net for more information.

Sept. 24-25 17th Annual Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival
More than 4,000 come out for this annual two-day lakeside event - rain or shine - showcasing approx. 16 Virgina wineries; quality crafters, great food, live music. Contact: SML Chamber/Partnership at 800-676-8203. Tickets available online.

Oct. 7-9 SML Charity Home Tour
Visit spectacular SML area homes by boat or car. Ticket sales support 8 local and regional charities. For more information visit: www.smlcharityhometour.com

Oct. 15 Smith Mountain Lake Fall Festival
Held at Saunders Parkway Marina. Fun for all ages with activities, music, food vendors, crafters and more.

Nov. 5 - 3rd Annual Smith Mountain Lake Fall Chili Festival
Chili for every taste as participants compete for flavor and showmanship. Fun, music, activities and LOTS of Chili at this lakeside event. Bridgewater Plaza lower level.

Dec. 2-3 Christmas Days in Old Virginia
Celebrate a mid-nineteenth century Christmas on the Burroughs Plantation with lantern tours, children's activities entertainment and refreshments.

Dec. 10 7th Annual Virginia Dare "Flotilla for Toys" Boat Parade
Gorgeous boats "decked out'"for the holiday season illuminate the lake for an evening of holiday cheer. The parade of boats, a toy drive event for the Lake Christian Ministries, leaves port from the Virginia Dare Marina at 7 p.m., travels to Halesford Bridge and up the lake to the State Park.

http://72.14.207.104/search...

This site has an interactive map of Smith Mountain Lake. There's also a small map on the front page that shows you the sections (towns?) around the lake.

The sections right on the lake appear to be:

Westlake
Union Hall
Penhook

Still close to the lake but not right on the water (or so it appears on the map anyway):

Moneta
Bedford
Huddleston
Burnt Chimney
Rocky Mount

Seems that there's an event coming up that combines several things that we know about Raven. On March 25, 2006 there is the Adventure XStream Moab 2006.

Cool, if I am not traveling, maybe I should go to the Bikefest and take my own pictures.

Any new thoughts or information about Smith Mountain Lake? I have the feeling that it's important but I don't know how or why.

Still trying to dig up information on this. Will let you know if I find anything out.

I'm on the West Coast and will be flying out East on business in about a Month.

I would like to check out some of these sites we've talked about myself, if I can swing it.

So something about Smith Mountain Lake made LE go there to investigate. I am assuming that one of two scenarios is most likely in terms of piquing LE's interest:

1) Raven went there with another woman at some point during his marriage.

2) Raven went there at some point after the murder.

We haven't heard any reports of him going there as we heard reports on his Moab trip, his job at the bike shop, etc. So if he went there after the murder, was this something he mentioned to people? I can't help but think that if he had gone there on the up-and-up, he would have mentioned it to someone, and we would have heard about it. Are there any periods of time for which Raven was unaccounted following the murder? And not just immediately following but anytime following. A time when perhaps he was supposedly going one place and went another.

Does anyone know the timeline for Raven's living arrangements after the murder? From what we know, he went to headquarters for questioning that first night and then never went back to the house on Ferrand Drive. So where was he from that point until he moved to Utah? Is it possible that at some point in those early months that he went away by himself?

JerseyGirl said:
Does anyone know the timeline for Raven's living arrangements after the murder? From what we know, he went to headquarters for questioning that first night and then never went back to the house on Ferrand Drive. So where was he from that point until he moved to Utah? Is it possible that at some point in those early months that he went away by himself?
Didn't he run off to play volleyball without the Christiansens knowing? I sure wouldn't put it past him that he went for another little excursion while staying with them.

I find myself wondering if he went there after the murder with someone, and LE is trying to shake up that someone to come forward with information.

So again ... if anyone out there has any information, please consider Janet and her two children and call LE. I know it's scary but you can provide tips anonymously and one single piece of information might be the one that turns this whole case around.

Anonymous calls may be made to Crime Stoppers - 1-919-683-1200

You may also call the Durham Police Department - 1-919-560-4440
Facsimile: 1-919-560-1137 FAX

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member