Where's Raven???

Interestingly, there's a Raven Cliff and a Raven's Roost (remember that web site by that name a long time ago), and they both seem to be near Smith Mountain Lake. It seems that biking might be a draw there. Lots of campgrounds as well. Also boating and yachting. Hiking and triathalons.

I don't know where this is going, if anywhere, but I'm checking around right now.

Wildernet - Smith Mountain Lake Campground - 1

Smith Mountain Lake State Park offers a large campground with 50 sites accommodating both tents and RVs up to 50 feet. Each site has a picnic table, fire ring with grill and a lantern post. The RV sites accept outlets for 20 and 30 amp current. Campsites are rather squeezed together yet they rest beneath a nice hardwood canopy...

So I keep thinking about Smith Mountain Lake. And I wonder - what kind of events (if any) do they have there? Was there anything that Raven could have done there since Janet's death that would fit into his other mourning activities. Please feel free to join me in researching any activities that might have been held at Smith Mountain Lake since Janet's death:

May 9 - SMLCCP Annual Corporate Golf Cup
May 21 - Tom Maynard Memorial Poker Run
July 3/4 - Smith Mountain Lake Fireworks
July 16 - 5 wakeboarding tournaments
August 13 - The 15th Annual Antique & Classic Boat Show and Rally
September 24/25 - 17th Annual SML Wine Festival
October 7, 8, 9 - SML Charity Home Tour & Gala
October 15 - SML Fall Festival
November 5 - SML Fall Chili Festival

Welcome To Smith Mountain Lake

Sounds like lots of good times to be had.

You’ve reached a little bit of paradise here at Smith Mountain Lake, where soaring mountains meet sparkling waters, where days can be as exciting and full, or as peacefully empty, as you’d like them.

Visit us and find out why professionals find corporate – and personal – retreats here. Why honeymooners seek out our romantic inns. Why kids love to play in our parks and on our beaches. Why retirees build dream homes overlooking our lake. Why boaters, anglers, water-skiers and wakeboarders love our 22,000 acres of water and 500 miles of shoreline.

There’s high-end shopping, fine dining, art galleries, tournament fishing, championship golf and award-winning wineries. No matter the season, Smith Mountain Lake is a perfect vacation, with a full year’s calendar of festivals and events, plus indoor and outdoor diversions for any weather...

Smith Mountain Lake, VA

terminatrixator said:
Well considering Raven couldn't afford the rent on his place, I doubt he was looking to purchase here.

http://www.smithmountain-lakehomes.com/
OMG, did you see this place? Geez ... I could use some time away.

Smith Mountain Lake Property

Some pictures of rentals on the lakefront:

Smith Mountain Lake Vacation Rentals - Silver Bay View Cottages

Smith Mountain Lake Guide

Recreation abounds at the Lake, theres sailing, golf, tennis, motorboats of all types, fishing, parasailing, skiing, and entertainment all in a rural setting yet close to the cities of Roanoke and Lynchburg.

The Lake boasts about 18,000 residents located in three counties, Franklin, Bedford and Pittslyvania. The year round temperature is moderate but the seasons are distinct and we even get a couple of snowfalls a year. The lake has 500 miles of shoreline and covers 20,600 acres and is the 2nd largest lake in Virginia. It is considered the cleanest lake in the east and was created in 1966 by damming up the Roanoke and Blackwater Rivers...

JerseyGirl said:
Smith Mountain Lake Guide

Recreation abounds at the Lake, theres sailing, golf, tennis, motorboats of all types, fishing, parasailing, skiing, and entertainment all in a rural setting yet close to the cities of Roanoke and Lynchburg.

The Lake boasts about 18,000 residents located in three counties, Franklin, Bedford and Pittslyvania. The year round temperature is moderate but the seasons are distinct and we even get a couple of snowfalls a year. The lake has 500 miles of shoreline and covers 20,600 acres and is the 2nd largest lake in Virginia. It is considered the cleanest lake in the east and was created in 1966 by damming up the Roanoke and Blackwater Rivers...

Seems that the two main towns around the Lake are Moneta and Huddleston. I'm sure there are others, but I keep seeing those two names pop up as I'm digging around.

SouthEastSleuth said:
Seems that the two main towns around the Lake are Moneta and Huddleston. I'm sure there are others, but I keep seeing those two names pop up as I'm digging around.
Moneta seems to be very pricey from what I've seen. How about Huddleston? I don't recall specifically seeing that town.

I know where Raven is not. He is not in NC talking to LE about the murder of his wife.

JerseyGirl said:
Interestingly, there's a Raven Cliff and a Raven's Roost (remember that web site by that name a long time ago), and they both seem to be near Smith Mountain Lake. It seems that biking might be a draw there. Lots of campgrounds as well. Also boating and yachting. Hiking and triathalons.

I don't know where this is going, if anywhere, but I'm checking around right now.
Thanks Jersey, Yep I remember that, good memory. Is there a Raven Lake or Raven Mountain of Lies anywhere?

BirdHunter said:
I know where Raven is not. He is not in NC talking to LE about the murder of his wife.
I just don't get how he can rationalize this fact to his family! :waitasec: If my son never contacted LE or went there or helped out with the investigation, I would want some answers!

SouthEastSleuth said:
Digging around on this Smith Mountain Lake (SML) thing JG - found one other thing of interest.

Seems there is a triathlon each May at SML. The one this year is May 6th.

http://www.commonwealthgames.org/smltri.html

The event last year was on May 7 (2005).

(referenced in this link: http://www.sevenhillstriclub.com/index2.htm )
I wonder if he is planning to attend this. Doesn't he have some relative (an uncle maybe) in Vermont or somewhere up there that doesn this type of stuff? If I remember right, they were on a team together in some sort of adventure race......OR this may be another place raven goes to look for the murderer???:rolleyes:

ewwwinteresting said:
I just don't get how he can rationalize this fact to his family! :waitasec: If my son never contacted LE or went there or helped out with the investigation, I would want some answers!
I am sooo glad that Carrington-Sund has put reward money out for the arrest and conviction of Janet's murderer. Since Raven is not doing anything to assist LE, or to help solve the case of who murdered his wife, I am so glad a national organization is getting involved.

JerseyGirl said:
Moneta seems to be very pricey from what I've seen. How about Huddleston? I don't recall specifically seeing that town.

From what I can tell, both areas tend to be pretty pricey. The lake is pretty big, and seems to have different residential areas all around. From what I can tell, it seems there are some full-time residents, but it appears that most homes are vacation homes, with owners from all parts of Virginia and surrounding areas. It also appears there's a huge rental market for homes here - as in weekly rentals for summer vacations primarily.

terminatrixator said:
I heard the Lead Homicide Detective, Detective Vaughn, of the Durham Police Department, who is handling Janet Marie Christiansen and her unborn child's brutal murder, just got back from a trip to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia, where he was conducting interviews.
Okay, now that I've bombarded the thread with everything you could ever want to know about Smith Mountain Lake (and then some), let's really think about this.

The rumor is that Detective Vaughan just returned from Smith Mountain Lake after conducting some interviews. What can this mean?

Is this a place where Raven and Janet might have gone together? Well, it's been 9 months since the murder. Would anyone even remember the two of them after all of this time? Unless they had been there somewhat regularly or stayed at the same place each time they went. Otherwise, think back to your own vacations. Would you remember a couple that stayed near you one time nearly a year ago or longer? I probably wouldn't remember a couple that stayed near me last weekend.

Even if we assume that Janet and Raven had been there together, what would that have to do with the investigation 9 months later? Are they looking to see if Raven went to that lake with another woman while Janet was still alive? That seems like a long-shot, IMO. Or are they possibly looking to see if Raven visited the area AFTER the murder? And how soon after the murder? And for what purpose? And what about that would be of interest to LE?

And if they are interviewing, clearly they must be interviewing year-round residents. It wouldn't make sense to interview people that are only staying there for the week, (if there even ARE any renters in January). So is the area in which they're interviewing a residential area only? Are there rental properties mixed in?

In any case, it seems to me that Raven must have visited this lake and it must have been more than once. It is also my opinion that they are interested in any visits Raven might have made to this lake after the murder as opposed to before the murder.

The SVU Men's Soccer team played Ferrum College (located near Smith Mountain Lake) on October 20, 2005. This is the Thursday after homecoming weekend, and we all know Raven attended homecoming. The lake is about 30 miles from the college.

Probably unrelated, but I thought I would throw it out there. Here is the link to Soccer Team's schedule:

http://207.42.162.221/athletics/index.php?sportid=10&mode=schedule

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare