Where's Raven???

Oh you can be sure he did a lot of running around, and did whatever the hell he pleased, he probably had a built in babysitter.

I wouldn't put it past the PNess that he was telling them he was hanging around the the police station all the time, trying to help in the investigation.

WARNING - Don't click the discussion forum link on the following page! My computer detected and deleted a virus when I clicked that link.

Cycling Utah - Utah Mountain Biking, Utah Road Biking, Utah Bicycling Information

Wanna find out where the next race is? Need to know how you placed in last month's race? Then go check out Cycling Utah. Where would we be without the excellent publication put together by Bob Truelsen and Dave Ward? Also, stop by Bingham Cyclery and pick up a copy of their latest news letter, it's FREE. Nowhere else can you get a more complete listing of races, rides, and results. They also cover many events in Idaho.

Links for event calendars along the left side of the page, (although it seems like these events are for the Big Boys).

I think we should find out about cyclocross.

ETA: Be careful with that link - don't click the discussion forum link from the main page; when I did that, my virus software picked up and deleted a virus.

BirdHunter said:
On AIM?:waitasec::waitasec: :waitasec:

Yeah I saw that too....both last night and tonight.
First time since last summer, actually.
Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

JerseyGirl said:

May 7 The 7th Annual SML Triathlon at Smith Mountain Lake State Park

I don't really picture Raven as a triathlete, in the least, but, this event certainly seems like something that would get his attention!

I can see him being into triathalons. His uncle is into that adventure racing - isn't that similar?

There are a couple of other events that they have there that sounded interesting to me. I wonder if Raven would like them as well. One is wakeboarding. The other is that Poker Run. I'm not sure exactly how that one goes but it sounds something like - a bunch of different boats have to go from pier to pier or store to store or something like that to pick up playing cards. After getting all 5 cards, the one with the best hand wins. I'm trying to find the details because it sounds like a really neat idea (I think it might also be a charity event), but I can't find it yet. In any case, as neat as it sounds, so far I haven't heard of Raven being into boating. Has anyone else?

I think the reality is, whether Raven is a skilled athlete or not, I get the impression that he at least enjoys most outdoor activities, and perhaps surrounding himself with people with similar type interests. It's interesting though, as far as personality, I wonder if Raven is actually intimidated by some of those he's tended to surround himself with - as far as skills, abilities, etc. Certainly by all accounts, Janet was the star soccer player, not Raven. And I wonder on these adventure races, volleyball, mtn biking, etc., etc., if Raven is in fact TRYING to prove something to himself, as far as his abilities, etc.

That said, I think he'd try most anything if he thought it would lead to a certain perception of him as this outdoorsy athletic type.

Boating? Sure, why not. Wakeboarding? Possible, for sure. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to come across references to Raven most anywhere, in relation to him trying desperately to fit in, to be perceived as this uber-athlete, Mr. Outdoors, etc. That said, with all that does on at SML, it seems like the perfect playground - for real athletes, as well as athletic wannabes!

SouthEastSleuth said:
It's interesting though, as far as personality, I wonder if Raven is actually intimidated by some of those he's tended to surround himself with - as far as skills, abilities, etc. Certainly by all accounts, Janet was the star soccer player, not Raven. And I wonder on these adventure races, volleyball, mtn biking, etc., etc., if Raven is in fact TRYING to prove something to himself, as far as his abilities, etc.
What intrigues me about that statement is that I've had the exact same impression. Raven's working at the bike shop is the perfect example. It seems that many of those people, including the very young ones, have some pretty impressive athletic accomplishments - track, biking, etc. Most of their names pop up in all kinds of racing events. One of the few names in that Draper store that does NOT seem to pop up in connection with big athletic events is Raven Abaraoa. Now that he's working with them, I wonder if we won't start to see him competing (or trying to compete) in some of these events. Biking in Moab, for instance. A few people that he works with had biked in Moab long before Raven's trip there last year. Do we know if Raven ever biked in Moab before that trip or was it another example of trying to fit in with those around him?

JerseyGirl said:
There are a couple of other events that they have there that sounded interesting to me. I wonder if Raven would like them as well. One is wakeboarding. The other is that Poker Run. I'm not sure exactly how that one goes but it sounds something like - a bunch of different boats have to go from pier to pier or store to store or something like that to pick up playing cards. After getting all 5 cards, the one with the best hand wins. I'm trying to find the details because it sounds like a really neat idea (I think it might also be a charity event), but I can't find it yet. In any case, as neat as it sounds, so far I haven't heard of Raven being into boating. Has anyone else?

Just FYI - the Poker Run appears to be an annual fundraising event sponsored by the not-for-profit Smith Mountain Lake Boating Association. This year's event will be held May 20th.

It seems that you register to participate. The registration info is basic name, address, etc., as well as a blank for "boat."

I don't know that we've ever heard anything about Raven and boating, whether he's ever owned a boat, has any boating skills, etc. But, it would not surprise me if he had interest in this - as again, it's a chance to perhaps prove yet another "skill" or type of outdoor prowess.... to himself, and perhaps to others....

(There are also cash prices for best poker hand - with the Best Hand paying out $5000.00 (at least in the 2004 event).)

http://www.smlba.com/index2.ivnu

SouthEastSleuth said:
And I wonder on these adventure races, volleyball, mtn biking, etc., etc., if Raven is in fact TRYING to prove something to himself, as far as his abilities, etc.
So, maybe he's trying to compensate for something.....isn't that called P.Ness envy?

SouthEastSleuth said:
Just FYI - the Poker Run appears to be an annual fundraising event sponsored by the not-for-profit Smith Mountain Lake Boating Association.
So where does the money come from? I assume that maybe there's a registration fee? But is that enough to generate that kind of prize? And who does the money benefit? That boating association?

JerseyGirl said:
So where does the money come from? I assume that maybe there's a registration fee? But is that enough to generate that kind of prize? And who does the money benefit? That boating association?
My impression from looking at the site is that participants pay a registration fee and there are a good number of corporate sponsors as well. Seems it raises money for the boating association which in turn does many things for the lake itself, as far as upkeep, preservation, etc. Seems like a good fun way to raise some money...I just wonder though, other than a cash prize, if someone like Raven would actually be that benevolent, etc. Although, as I recall, he did list on his blog that one of his interests was philanthropy.... which I always found somewhat amusing I guess... makes me wonder, in a witty way of course - did any of the monies from the embezzled goods end up with any charities? Somehow I doubt that....unless Raven himself is a charity?

Well, donating stolen money doesn't make it any less stolen. So that wouldn't be very noble even if he did give some of it away.

Anyway, I've found no indication that Raven or any of his friends are into boating. I'm going to assume that he doesn't take part in that poker run. The wakeboarding, however, sounds more like the type of sport his crowd might be into. But I think that that might have been more of an exhibition type thing than an event for which he could have signed up.

:laugh:

Jenifred said:
.....isn't that called P.Ness envy?
I wonder what the other guys had across their backs? Were their names equally charming and witty? :rolleyes:

JerseyGirl said:

I wonder what the other guys had across their backs? Were their names equally charming and witty? :rolleyes:
I have always wondered if the front of that shirt said TINY.

BirdHunter said:
I have always wondered if the front of that shirt said TINY.
You guys are too funny today. Jen, I'm roflmao at your posts:crazy:

Being serious, you may have something here. He just might be trying to compensate for something tiny in his life! Maybe instead of naming this thread "Where's Raven?", it should be called "Where is it?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMae0823
Back