ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and I only clicked on that link for Websleuth research purposes!

Seriously though, I think most people would go for the throat or abdomen unless they're specifically trained like the guy who wrote that article.
I looked at it, too, awhile back and wondered about the wisdom of having such information online. :) Even as I'm reading it!

I see this differently. I get the sense that it was the opposite of angry or hateful; that it was more clinical/cold/sterile—an exercise in something, mission-focused (I’m sure there’s a better way to say it but I’m still half asleep lol). I think his calculus is different from most people’s; anger as a root cause makes sense to most of us because we’re familiar with and influenced by our emotions. I’m not sure it works that way for him. I think he tries to find emotions, or to approximate them, but I don’t get the sense that they drive his behavior. JMO of course.

Agree, especially with the depersonalization and flat affect issue he writes about for a period of years in his youth. Being hyper-focused may be a coping mechanism for such a person.

I'm' not sure his emotional system works the way "normal" would say it should, either.

looking at the timelines and thinking about how tight the events took place are it is strange to think how un/lucky he was for so many variables.

as we have had quite a lot of info since the beginning of this tragedy, my mind keeps going back to the grub truck where K and M went on their way home. It is so disturbing to me on many levels, but esp this idea 1. that guys buy food for the (intoxicated) females coming home (that just seems to create a very strange situation) and 2. that it is all filmed and available for others to watch throughout the evening and night.

I wonder if this stream helped Bk determine where the girls were and when, and I really hope that that food truck stops streaming it for others (but keeps it for themselves- very helpful). imho

At 13:47 you can see BK posing next to a man in a military uniform. Posting to show if this could be the connection to the USMC sheath left at the scene. I posted this pic before, but this is a clearer one. One poster said it looked like a band uniform but IMO it is military. Does anyone know which branch it is?

Many threads ago, someone gave the name of that camera and it's a well known (to many) brand that is considered high quality and I believe it does have audio. I meant to write it down.

Another interesting part of the camera discussion is that clearly some of the neighbors wanted the added security of cameras. I know that some college students often do *not* want them, as they do not want video of some of their misadventures, should LE ever ask to see footage (which of course, is exactly what has happened in this neighborhood due to this terrible crime).
I live in a residential neighborhood beside college party houses and several of our neighbors have cameras pointed directly at the college party houses because they are a constant disturbance and police are called regularly for noise disturbances, destruction of property, and trespassing. I don’t know what the demographics of the neighborhood are, but if it’s not all college students living in surrounding houses then this could be an explanation.

Blood is very slippery and the knife gets covered in attacks such as this. The nature of a stabbing is the knife will come to a sudden halt, the hand will want to continue downward with momentum due to the now slippery handle compromising the grip.

There is a reason homicide detectives always want to see the hands of suspects as soon a possible after a knife attack. Suspects with hand injuries are common.
If hand injuries are very common in knife attacks and BK has none, can this be used in his defense?

"He seemed really nervous," a police source who was involved in the process told PEOPLE. "He was narrating to himself everything that was happening. At one point, he was saying something to himself like 'I'm fine, this is okay.' Like he was reassuring himself that this whole thing wasn't awful."

Kohberger was read his Miranda rights during his arrest, and cannot be questioned about the case without an attorney present. He didn't speak directly to officers about the case, but the police source said that he did make an offhand comment about it. "He did say, 'It's really sad what happened to them,' but he didn't say anything more," the source said. "He's smarter than that."

“He was narrating to himself everything that was happening. At one point he was saying something like “”I’m fine, this is ok.” Like he was reassuring himself.”

Does that sound like a cold blooded killer? Like Charles Manson or BTK? I can’t imagine them needing to self console like this….

The document gives public safety as one reason for the sealing. Very interesting, IMO. I wonder what that specifcally means.
I would guess the public safety concern would be that, if leaked evidence leads to a mistrial or negatively impacts the likelihood of BK being locked up for life, and if he were theoretically allowed to walk free in the future, he could kill more innocents.

The biggest questions I have about Kohberger are of the chicken and egg variety. Did he choose to devote his life to the field of criminology because he had a desire to kill? Was he hoping to learn how to beat the system and/or avoid being caught? Or did he choose to study criminology because the subject matter fascinated him? Did he become so obsessed with the need to know what drives people to kill and/or what it feels like to take a life that he decided to take matters into his own hands?

It reminds me of this book I once read called The Last Victim by Jason Moss. As a freshman in college, Moss came up with an unconventional idea for a course research project. The author was fascinated by the motivations of serial killers and dreamed of joining the FBI someday, so he devised a plan to lure notorious serial killers into communicating with him and even forged a full-blown relationship with several.

Before his initial communication with each serial killer, he meticulously researched what interested that killer the most and then cast himself in the role of disciple, admirer, businessman, surrogate, or potential victim. He thought the FBI would certainly be impressed if he convinced these infamous serial killers to buy into his false personas. In a few instances, he won the killer's trust and uncovered secrets. In the case of John Wayne Gacy, he experienced firsthand what it’s like to be stalked, seduced, manipulated, and trapped by a deranged murderer who’d taken the lives of more than thirty young boys.

Armed with recorded phone conversations and the perverted writings of multiple killers, Moss convinced his psychology professor to help him write a book about the experience. The killers he corresponded with include Elmer Wayne Henley, Richard Ramirez, Henry Lee Lucas, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, and John Wayne Gacy. He developed the strongest relationship with Gacy and even flew to Illinois to visit him in prison a few weeks before his scheduled execution date. It was during this visit when Moss finally realizes it was he who was being played. He was being controlled and manipulated by Gacy, not the other way around. Hence, the title of his book – The Last Victim.

Sadly, his research project had a deeply profound effect on his mental health. He struggled with depression for years before he ultimately killed himself in 2006 at the age of 31.

It reminds me of that Nietzsche quote – “Whoever battles monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster himself. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.”

ETA: If this post sounds like it was copy and pasted from a book synopsis, I apologize. It's definitely not; I wrote this using my own words. I have a book blog (about guilty pleasure romance novels, not true crime), so my writing style when talking about a book is an occupational hobby hazard. :D

Yours is an excellent post. And I've never heard of this book and now have it on my Kindle. It's exactly like what BK appears to have been trying to do.

Have you ever read Irv Yalom's book When Nietzsche Wept? It's a highly inventive and fictional work by one of our nation's top psychiatrists (who is also a delightful writer - all of his books are amazing). But this one is my favorite of his. It takes place before psychiatry is invented, or is just getting off the ground (Freud appears as a grad student/beginner researcher, briefly). It's really the story of Freud's mentor (who pretty much documented the concept of the "unconscious" in his work and gave us our diagnostic criteria for several illnesses, still in use today) and that man's encounter with a depressed Nietzsche. Their work together and conversations are so well imagined in this book (all of the encounters are fictional - but psychological strides were being made and the modern notion of the "mind" was finally in play).

If I'm understanding it correctly, they have sealed the information contained in the application which supports the warrant they reqested from a judge in order to search his apartment (not the results of the search itself, which I don't know if they have any obligation to reveal). JMO. I believe the search was conducted on 12/30, so I'm guessing it was sealed prior to the search actually occuring as it is dated 12/29 and also states that the legal charges are not publicly known at that time (which are public now). So there is something about the nature of the investigation that they want to keep private. They don't want the public to know what they are looking for. Just speculation, perhaps a legal expert could chime in. Very odd.

ETA: It could be that there is witness and family information in the search warrant application that they don't want known to the public at this time. However, it is hard to figure in the "premature end of the investigation" wording.

1673460862560.png

Last edited:

At 13:47 you can see BK posing next to a man in a military uniform. Posting to show if this could be the connection to the USMC sheath left at the scene. I posted this pic before, but this is a clearer one. One poster said it looked like a band uniform but IMO it is military. Does anyone know which branch it is?
That guy is in Army dress blue uniform.

Do you think he listens in on the police scanner? The girls had several noise complaints, IMO...
I think he doesn’t need the police scanner to find their info. But he is very likely search any information about them online including watching the scanner. When I studied at a similar Midwest state university, our university newspaper had a column called something like “police find”, it listed all the complains, misdemeanors or violations weekly, including their names and address and the events. It is incredibly easy if you want to know a young college student.

Last edited:
Agree, especially with the depersonalization and flat affect issue he writes about for a period of years in his youth. Being hyper-focused may be a coping mechanism for such a person.

I'm' not sure his emotional system works the way "normal" would say it should, either.
this. i almost get the feeling that he tried to figure himself out on those forums when he was younger and as he got older and tried to socialize, he overgeneralized ( not sure if that's a thing for behavior but hopefully it makes sense) normal behavior from what he has seen and how he understands it, esp around women.

I get the feeling, if those early forum writings were him, esp, but even if not, that he just couldn't feel in the same way most of us do, and i think he was very aware and disturbed by that and what it meant for him and his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owlsorflowers