ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be something not in the PCA. They found dna on the sheath they used genealogy ( his relatives dna who may know bk or may not) to find presumably 3 generation cousins or closer, and use that to link (not match) the Elantra driver BK, and later used his dads dna to pin him. I think someone posted a media article link about this technology and why it is not in PCA.
Here's the link to the excellent media article:

<snipped for focus>

Wonder what has to be the case for LE to state that public disclosure could result in premature end of the investigation?

Do they think that BK could be released on bond or otherwise if the details were released at this point in the case? What else might they mean by saying this?

What would end the investigation at this point?

I assume if it is exculpatory informaton, they would have to release it to the defendant's attorney, event at this early stage of the case?

BBM

I just did some really quick research. If they release the contents of the search warrant, the defense could argue that this jeopardizes the defendant's right to a fair trial because it could taint a potential jury pool.

OR there could be an affidavit in the warrant that came from an informant who told the police about something they know is/was in the apartment and sealing the warrant would protect that informant's identity. The seal is temporary and can be released after March 1. I'm guessing they expect the preliminary hearing to take place before March 1.

The seal gives LE time to investigate items in the warrant such as possible dna evidence or locating someone.

Not everything in the warrant has to be presented at the preliminary hearing and I also expect that when the warrant is unsealed, it will have redactions.

MOO. I am not an attorney or in law enforcement. This is just based on internet research on statutes in the state of Idaho and other sites.

Agree, especially with the depersonalization and flat affect issue he writes about for a period of years in his youth. Being hyper-focused may be a coping mechanism for such a person.

I'm' not sure his emotional system works the way "normal" would say it should, either.
Your description of him is exactly why I haven't even been hypothesizing about his motive. I'm not seeing anything in him. No frenzied rage, no joy, no sexual release, nothing. He seems almost childlike in his inability to understand basic social behaviors.

Yeah, not sure what to think about it. On one hand, it seems over-the-top but on the other, it seems strange that someone would make it up. But stranger things have happened, for sure.
If BK did say that I would guess it is part of his manipulation strategy. Meaning not a real possibility. Just my opinion.

If I'm understanding it correctly, they have sealed the information contained in the application which supports the warrant they reqested from a judge in order to search his apartment (not the results of the search itself, which I don't know if they have any obligation to reveal). JMO. I believe the search was conducted on 12/30, so I'm guessing it was sealed prior to the search actually occuring as it is dated 12/29 and also states that the legal charges are not publicly known at that time (which are public now). So there is something about the nature of the investigation that they want to keep private. They don't want the public to know what they are looking for. Just speculation, perhaps a legal expert could chime in. Very odd.

View attachment 394627

This is exactly what I think. A search warrant should be very specific to what LE wants to look for and/or take as evidence, which, like you said, could give away LE's investigative strategy. So what in that warrant might impede LE from doing their job effectively if the public knew about it, to the point of BK getting exonerated and becoming a threat to public safety? Very disconcerting, IMO. And like others have suggested, I don't think it completely dissuades from the idea of another person being involved and/or have knowledge on some level, although LE HAS stated they think BK acted alone. LE also once told us that the roommates both slept through the murders, so...

layer said:
It was in that grey area somewhere between rumor and solid factual reporting.
Here's one source:

Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger allegedly asked police if anyone else had been arrested

Yeah, not sure what to think about it. On one hand, it seems over-the-top but on the other, it seems strange that someone would make it up. But stranger things have happened, for sure.
Supposedly it was reported to be the first question asked BK before he invoked his right to an attorney. His PA attorney reported never having heard of BK asking this question.

IMHO, if BK really asked this question, he may previously decided that if he were ever caught, he would throw the investigation off by asking this question and suggesting that others were involved. MOO

layer said:
It was in that grey area somewhere between rumor and solid factual reporting.
Here's one source:

Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger allegedly asked police if anyone else had been arrested

Supposedly it was reported to be the first question asked BK before he invoked his right to an attorney. His PA attorney reported never having heard of BK asking this question.

IMHO, if BK really asked this question, he may previously decided that if he were ever caught, he would throw the investigation off by asking this question and suggesting that others were involved. MOO
Exactly I thought too!

I figured they got dna from the trash and compared it to the dna on the sheath.
Yes. They got to the father’s identity from a genealogy search, MOO they would test a knife sheath found at a CS immediately.

The car was found by two WSU officers, one from records and one seeing it parked at graduate housing apartments.

Don’t know which find was first.

Police knew they had a 2015 Elantra identified by about Nov 28th. Then they had the information that the registration of the Elantra was identified as a match to the familial DNA to the knife sheath.

I think it would be a weak defence considering the type of knife believed to have been used and the fact that he was arrested weeks after the murders.
So probably not enough to help in getting reasonable doubt with a juror who may have heard about hand wounds on a perpetrator. Thanks.

Perhaps BK and another person went there together with BK directing the murders, and BK handing over the knife once he took it out of the sheath (hence his dna). One person - BK - to restrain while one person murdered? Maybe that’s the help that was called for and received. BK could have used the survey he created to identify and then contact a willing accomplice.
These types of crimes, excluding the Manson family, are committed by lone actors. If a theory requires adding a lot of details, unlikely details, it most likely didn't happen that way. It would make a good movie though. Imo

If I'm understanding it correctly, they have sealed the information contained in the application which supports the warrant they reqested from a judge in order to search his apartment (not the results of the search itself, which I don't know if they have any obligation to reveal). JMO. I believe the search was conducted on 12/30, so I'm guessing it was sealed prior to the search actually occuring as it is dated 12/29 and also states that the legal charges are not publicly known at that time (which are public now). So there is something about the nature of the investigation that they want to keep private. They don't want the public to know what they are looking for. Just speculation, perhaps a legal expert could chime in. Very odd.

View attachment 394627

I just did some really quick research. If they release the contents of the search warrant, the defense could argue that this jeopardizes the defendant's right to a fair trial because it could taint a potential jury pool.

OR there could be an affidavit in the warrant that came from an informant who told the police about something they know is/was in the apartment and sealing the warrant would protect that informant's identity. The seal is temporary and can be released after March 1. I'm guessing they expect the preliminary hearing to take place before March 1.

The seal gives LE time to investigate items in the warrant such as possible dna evidence or locating someone.

Not everything in the warrant has to be presented at the preliminary hearing and I also expect that when the warrant is unsealed, it will have redactions.

MOO. I am not an attorney or in law enforcement. This is just based on internet research on statutes in the state of Idaho and other sites.
Excellent post Alis.....and research....!
You have explained a couple of very good reasons for not releasing contents in search warrant....MOO

at a pinch, it's possible he could've been muttering to himself again?

during the extradition:
'"He seemed really nervous," a police source who was involved in the process tells PEOPLE. "He was narrating to himself everything that was happening. At one point, he was saying something to himself like 'I'm fine, this is okay.' Like he was reassuring himself that this whole thing wasn't awful."

What's really odd about it, no matter what his reasons for going back, is that he didn't turn his phone off. He did turn it off before even getting to Moscow on the way to the murders. What in his thought process, despite his academic background, was missing when he drove by the 12 times before the murders and then again after, without turning off his phone on?
He lacked critical thinking skills that let to his poor decision-making and faulty judgements. Thankfully, he made poor decisions that led to his arrest and hopefully his conviction. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member