Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem strange they waited so long to search the area the home owner said a month after Sam disappeared they asked for permission to do a line search , could they have been waiting that long for the tech dog perhaps? Seems like a long time to leave potential evidence

I don't think the police becoming aware of the dam as an evidence dumping point was anything high tech such as the suggested car data... I read somewhere in these forums, trying to find it again now, where the owner of the property that the dam is on, found some items on the banks of the dam where the water had receded from low dam levels and notified police.
I only remember reading that as speculation. A link would be good.

It looks like a torch, the top part you can move around to set different beams. You can see how the police are holding the bag, its quite long View attachment 506968
I do think the top looks like a lens. I can also see two disc shapes attached to the cylinder/s, as if they flip up and down like protective coverings or maybe polarisers. But I can't make sense of what's below.

I’m very interested in the allegedly tried and true police strategy of implanting their scruffiest member into remand to potentially “buddy up” with alleged offenders. What strategies do these undercover agents use? Are they vicpol or afp? Do they monitor body language as well as seeking verbal input? Perhaps crims are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but surely they would not be so stupid as to lower their inhibitions with fellow accused who could be looking for any opportunity to offer valuable info to police as a “snitch” so to speak… Or would they? :rolleyes::oops::cool:
IMO it depends - on the personalities of both the remandee, and the undercover guy, and the mood of the alleged killer on the day. U/C Guy would need to "strike" when PS appears to be vulnerable/down, or. in a cocky, bragging mood IMO..

Credibility would be crucial. (As Trooper noted - the latter would be kitted out in St Vinnies gear, scruffy...) Ideally he'd ensure that he was seen either smoking, or begging for smokes/asking where he could get some. A couple of home-made tatts on hs hands/wrists wouldn't go astray, and a hefty dose of body odour would be quite helpful.

U/C Guy would need to allude to his contempt for police/remand officers, but in a very understated way - and appear to be a "good bloke" (that indefinable Aussie "thing).

AFAIK all Australian states, and Federal Police have undercover agents if required. I'm not sure about the territories.

Undercover agents aren't limited to remand situations. The work of an undercover agent in South Australia in 2010 was critical in gathering information which led to the arrests of men suspected of committing a horrific murder.

IIRC that U/C Guy happened to meet a chap (who was the farmhand of one of the suspects) at a local pub. They didn't know each other, but got chatting (footy etc, and other things...)

MOO

It does seem strange they waited so long to search the area the home owner said a month after Sam disappeared they asked for permission to do a line search , could they have been waiting that long for the tech dog perhaps? Seems like a long time to leave potential evidence

I don't think the police becoming aware of the dam as an evidence dumping point was anything high tech such as the suggested car data... I read somewhere in these forums, trying to find it again now, where the owner of the property that the dam is on, found some items on the banks of the dam where the water had receded from low dam levels and notified police.

Perhaps you are just quoting each others made-up stories?

I only found this: "The occupants of a nearby farmhouse expressed no wish to speak to reporters or be filmed."

IMO it depends - on the personalities of both the remandee, and the undercover guy, and the mood of the alleged killer on the day. U/C Guy would need to "strike" when PS appears to be vulnerable/down, or. in a cocky, bragging mood IMO..

Credibility would be crucial. (As Trooper noted - the latter would be kitted out in St Vinnies gear, scruffy...) Ideally he'd ensure that he was seen either smoking, or begging for smokes/asking where he could get some. A couple of home-made tatts on hs hands/wrists wouldn't go astray, and a hefty dose of body odour would be quite helpful.

U/C Guy would need to allude to his contempt for police/remand officers, but in a very understated way - and appear to be a "good bloke" (that indefinable Aussie "thing).

AFAIK all Australian states, and Federal Police have undercover agents if required. I'm not sure about the territories.

Undercover agents aren't limited to remand situations. The work of an undercover agent in South Australia in 2010 was critical in gathering information which led to the arrests of men suspected of committing a horrific murder.

IIRC that U/C Guy happened to meet a chap (who was the farmhand of one of the suspects) at a local pub. They didn't know each other, but got chatting (footy etc, and other things...)

MOO
A “good bloke” who hates police, and with underworld “integrity”…. ;)

No “snitching” vibes… :rolleyes: Possibly sulking in “solidarity”….?

Last edited:
The discovery of Sam's phone has me refreshing this thread as frantically as I did in the first weeks after she disappeared. I haven't felt this hopeful about her in a while- please let this mean police are about to discover her body and finally return her to her family!

the home owner said a month after Sam disappeared they asked for permission to do a line search
Do you have a link for this piece of information please? In particular the “line search” …..being requested at the one month mark??

I can only recall the property owner being asked if he / they saw anything suspiscious in the early days … but Polivce have been back several times.

And IIRC the search was only organised recently …. It takes time for the logistics of a search to be organised … personnel , equipment, dogs and handlers from interstate etc etc

Link for several times…
Post in thread 'Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9'
Australia - Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9,

This seems plausible looking at the photo again. You can see a hole at the top end (A) and a join lower down (B).

View attachment 506937

This second photo is literally called Water Pump Pliers
View attachment 506938

It Looks like it has a dial on it?? IMO. On that second arrow?? JMO

A Dial torque wrench?? combined with a spanner wrench?? IMO

Sorry you will have to google it. Can't work out how to attach picture. MOO

Agree phone and body may well be in different places but for me the question still remains as to why the alleged offender did not attempt to destroy or otherwise disable the phone. To throw it into a dam in its original case with cards etc seems utterly reckless when he could easily have smashed it to smithereens first (especially if he had tools in his disposal). So I still lean towards the idea that the phone was thrown in a state of panic, most likely on the day SM was murdered. JMO
Perhaps he believed he had destroyed it by throwing it into a dam. Even in a state of panic, he could have used a rock to damage it further, but he seemed to think that water alone would suffice. He likely heard many stories about phones being ruined after a quick dip in a toilet.

With all due respect, this information is inaccurate ….. The farmer did not notify the Police …. The tech detector dog found the phone after police planned a targeted search based on intelligence gained in the investigation …

Owners of the property, who wished to remain anonymous, said police contacted him about three weeks ago asking for permission to access his land.
The man said officers returned on Wednesday where they told him they were going to perform a line search along the road.
'A dog found something on the banks and they came up and asked me and my wife to make a statement,' he said.
The man said police were interested in the levels of his dam.
'I hasn't seen anything suspicious out there. We don't have cameras. But yeah I believe one of those tech dogs found it,' he said.

Link Here
Post in thread 'Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10'
Australia - Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

Perhaps he believed he had destroyed it by throwing it into a dam. Even in a state of panic, he could have used a rock to damage it further, but he seemed to think that water alone would suffice. He likely heard many stories about phones being ruined after a quick dip in a toilet.

Sor Juana do you think he would use the same theory with a disposal of the body - in water too?

Maybe you can drive the ute upto a river's edge?? MOO

Last edited:
Trying not to be a kill joy, but right now, it has not been established that the killer, and the phone-thrower- in - the- dam are the same person . Someone could have found that phone ( I still say it was someone local who knew the location of people's dams ) and in a total panick, hurled it over the blackberries. Who does not want to be associated in any way with this whole horrible event, someone who , possibly, was where they would have difficulty explaining about to police, or a wife, or something like that.

VICPOL will eventually tie up these two disparate happenings ,,---> the murder and ----> the phone tosser. Nothing is ever lost, it just has not been found yet...

There is a river near Sand Road about 3 minutes drive down the road of where the phone was found heading to south?? IMO

if you keep driving down Buningyong-Mercer Road there is a bridge going over a river just past Sand road.JMO.

Maybe like Gerard Baden Clay did?? MOO

Perhaps he was doing the sensible thing getting rid of the phone before he drove rather further to dispose of the body. So it didn't know where he went. And he was preoccupied with the bigger problem of the body so he didn't stop to question his assumption that water would disable and disappear the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back