MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next prosecution witness: Trooper Michael Proctor.

View attachment 509234

Proctor says he was initially told O'Keefe's death might be a "possible medical situation" so he contacted Sgt. Lank at Canton police to find out more.

Proctor says Firefighter Flematti told him more about O'Keefe's injuries, including that he had a 10% chance of survival. So he decided to respond. Shoveled out his driveway and went to Canton PD about 10am to meet Sgt. Bukhenik.

Proctor says Sgt. Goode told them about a group of people who'd been at a party the night before, that they'd gotten a 911 call from Kerry Roberts.

Proctor says from Canton PD, he and Bukhenik went to McCabe residence and individually interviewed Jen McCabe, Matt McCabe and Brian Albert.

From McCabe residence, Proctor went to Good Samaritan Hospital where he was told Read had been released several hours earlier. He also saw O'Keefe's body in ER, noticed abrasions on his right arm, swollen eyes, blood on back of head.

Proctor says he and Bukhenik were both struck by missing sneaker. Starts to say that's fairly common in motor vehicle crashes. But defense objects and judge strikes it from the record.

Proctor say he noticed clothing recovered at the hospital was wet with cuts and tears on right sleeve and with blood and vomit on it. Says same clothing O'Keefe seen wearing at bar the night before.

Proctor says they got O'Keefe's phone from Canton Police Department.

Jurors seem to be paying careful attention to Proctor's testimony. They know he is a key witness for both the prosecution and the defense.

Proctor says he noticed "broken" taillight on Read's SUV when they arrived at her parents' home in Dighton.

Proctor says, "The right, rear taillight had large pieces missing.”

"Sgt. Bukhenik and I never touched any part of that vehicle," Proctor says about the SUV when it was at the Canton Police Dept.

Proctor says he was the "case officer" on this investigation but says wasn't "the sole decision-maker." Says all decisions are made by the group.

Proctor says the evidence they recovered on 1/29/22 was placed in temporary storage area at Canton PD because they didn't have access to permanent storage locker.

Proctor says when they executed the search warrant on Read's SUV on 2/1/22 at Canton Pd, it was in the same condition as he'd seen in on 1/29/22 in Dighton.

Lally is showing this video of Read's SUV during the search warrant at the Canton PD. He's trying to get Proctor to testify that the camera is motion-activated but the defense objects and the judge sustains.

View attachment 509235

Proctor shows the taillight housing to the jury.

Karen Read listens to the testimony of Trooper Michael Proctor.

View attachment 509236

Proctor says he never went to 34 Fairview Rd alone. Says on Feb 3, they found black drinking straw, O'Keefe's cap "deep underneath the snow", pieces of plastic.

Proctor says after visiting crime scene, they went to O'Keefe's home to look at his vehicle. Says they'd seen Ring camera video of Read's SUV coming close to it.

Proctor says no snow appears to fall off O'Keefe's vehicle as Read's SUV gets close and no pieces of red plastic appear on the snow as Read pulls away. (The defense says this is the moment Read's taillight was cracked.)

Lally shows this picture of O'Keefe's Chevy Traverse. Proctor points to bumper to show where it might have come in contact with Read's Lexus. Defense objects. Sidebar.

View attachment 509237

Proctor: "I didn't observe any significant damage.”

Lally shows pictures of O'Keefe's garage doors and the rear bumper of his vehicle. Proctor says he saw no damage on either.

View attachment 509238View attachment 509240

Proctor removes taillight fragments from evidence bag and shows them to the jury.

Defense attorney Alan Jackson approaches the witness stand to look at small fragments being shown by Trooper Michael Proctor.

View attachment 509242

Proctor says the Ring camera video has a "gap". Says it never shows Read returning to the house from 34 Fairview Rd, never shows Read, McCabe and Kerrie Roberts looking at the taillight.

Proctor says he and Bukhenik voluntarily provided DNA samples.

Proctor says he knew Brian and Julie Albert and their son Colin before interviewing them. Says he knows them through his sister and that he and his wife and Julie babysit.

Proctor says he would consider the Alberts as acquaintances.

@BienickWCVB
The problem is that it didn't just come close to it, it hit it because the deceased's car visibly moves in the video.

Does anyone think the jury members wrote down in their notebooks that Officer Barros said the tail light was cracked, but not completely broken/ shattered? I betcha they did !!

Geez
^^rbbm
I believe this to be exactly what KR told the women (JM, KR) when they returned to KO's residence to look for him, and left KR's SUV there: "I cracked my tail light."

The problem is that it didn't just come close to it, it hit it because the deceased's car visibly moves in the video.
Its pretty obvious in the video right? KR's car hits JOK's car, Full stop.
Proctor tells you what he wants you to see, how to interpret the video and to not believe what is actually occuring.
That is the crux of the whole investigation . And how we all got here.
A rogue LE guy trying to make the evidence line up to point to the defendent anf fit his narrative.
It was all biz as usual I suspect - until the FBI got involved. And now with accountability its flounder time.
I still suspect the FBI is all about something bigger than just this case - the Stoughton death( aka murder) prob fgures n to it as well plus who knows what else
Just IMO

After lunch break, Lally resumes questioning of Proctor. He's asking about text messages Proctor shared with a group of friends. One asked him about "the name of that BPD cop." He later responded "John O'Keefe" and tells his friend that O'Keefe took custody of his sister's kids.

Proctor reads text message from friend saying, "Bet the owner of the home will receive some *advertiser censored*." Proctor replied: "Nope, homeowner is a Boston cop, too."

@BienickWCVB

@JHall7news

After a lunch break - Trooper Michael Proctor continues his testimony in the Karen Read trial. He says his sister's friendship with some members of the Albert family (Julie, Chris, Colin Albert family) had zero impact on his investigation.

ADA Adam Lally begins going through Trooper Proctor's text messages with buddies he has known most of his life. Here is an example where the prosecution has to go into defense attorney mode to fend off barbs that will no doubt come from Alan Jackson.

Its pretty obvious in the video right? KR's car hits JOK's car, Full stop.
Proctor tells you what he wants you to see, how to interpret the video and to not believe what is actually occuring.
That is the crux of the whole investigation . And how we all got here.
A rogue LE guy trying to make the evidence line up to point to the defendent anf fit his narrative.
It was all biz as usual I suspect - until the FBI got involved. And now with accountability its flounder time.
I still suspect the FBI is all about something bigger than just this case - the Stoughton death( aka murder) prob fgures n to it as well plus who knows what else
Just IMO
Exactly- you can push into a freezing cold taillight and cause it to fracture without a hard impact and without leaving any damage to a soft bumper that pops right back into shape and was covered in snow and ice, like a shieled, so it wasn't even scratched.

Personally, I think she did hit him that night and that was his cause of death. However, this is not a provable case for a variety of reasons that have mostly to do with shotty police work. Never should have gone to trial.

I believe they touched Bumper to bumper -
Would have been wise to take measurements and do a reenactment using two of the same vehicles
If I were a juror, I just discounted that her taillight was broken as evidence she hit him, because I just saw on camera how it happened. The CW made no attempt to show how that might be improbable. It's as if they can't see the holes in their case and plug them before they leak.

@BienickWCVB

Proctor reads one of the texts he wrote: "From all accounts, he didn't do anything wrong. She's a whack job, a c***."

Proctor turns to the jury and says these comments are unprofessional, he regrets them and should not have made them.

Proctor's voice is barely audible as he reads more text messages about Read. A court officer signals to the judge he can't hear. Proctor says the "juvenile, unprofessional" did not influence the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay