MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that's a good question. When they found tail light pieces on 01/29 did they inspect everyone's vehicle who had driven there that night?
I think that is a great question- With the video of her backing out and hitting his van, could the defense now introduce the possibility that he was killed by the plow driver, or another guest?

Its not possible to say with certainty that the materials are from the same car, except if they have a jig-saw puzzle match, which is more certain than DNA.

Agreed- he could have been in the house and been seen by only a limited subset. This is what a jury will need to weigh in the context of the other things they are hearing.

I think she will be acquitted, unless the CW has an event data recording from her car (in the Lexus the vehicle stores crash data and most also record video from the front and rear cameras).
I would love to see that and the exact time John’s phone totally stops moving.

Completely agree on the reasonable doubt comment- A juror cannot tell when her tail light was broken and that search time is going to be difficult to explain technically

However- here it is so far in favor of her guilt

LE places her at the scene that night with testimony and video
LE establishes his phone activity stops when she leaves the scene (he didn't send or answer anything)
LE establishes through testimony of occupants that he never entered the 34F home (all are lying?)
LE establishes she was likely drunk by testimony and video
Le establishes he was likely drunk by testimony and video
LE establishes he died by blunt force trauma and hypothermia via the ME
LE establishes she speculated out loud that she may have hit him at the scene
LE establishes her tail light is broken (did a terrible job proving when it was broken)
LE finds pieces of tail light at the scene and on the victim's clothing
Lab establishes it is the same material as the Lexus tail light and some of the pieces fit together
Lab finds victim's DNA on the tail light
I know your list is of what LE established, but if you know this I appreciate you.
Regarding yesterday’s testimony: Did AJ establish that MP planted evidence? I don't recall he did, but maybe he did and I missed it. TIA

I know your list is of what LE established, but if you know this I appreciate you.
Regarding yesterday’s testimony: Did AJ establish that MP planted evidence? I don't recall he did, but maybe he did and I missed it. TIA
I don't think that they did establish that but they sure made it believable that he is the type of person who might do that.

The defense used the texts to establish motive and the specific text on the gift to show some sort of quid pro quo had occurred.

Completely agree on the reasonable doubt comment- A juror cannot tell when her tail light was broken and that search time is going to be difficult to explain technically

LE establishes his phone activity stops when she leaves the scene (he didn't send or answer anything)
LE establishes through testimony of occupants that he never entered the 34F home (all are lying?)
LE establishes her tail light is broken (did a terrible job proving when it was broken)
Lab establishes it is the same material as the Lexus tail light and some of the pieces fit together
Are these all points from trial testimony? I’m specifically curious about your second point - I haven’t been able to watch every day so I didn’t know if the prosecution had given a specific time frame of when they think they KR hit JO, at least during the trial.

What would a similar 'not guilty' list look like, if I may ask?

I would love to see that and the exact time John’s phone totally stops moving.
I think this might end up being the biggest red herring of the trial unless either side has updated data. Pre-trial the defense used Apple Health data and said the last movement was 12:32am, the prosecution used GPS data from the phone and said the last location and movement registered were at 12:24am (but did register some kind of data point at 12:59am)

I don’t see how either set of data lines up with any of theories of what happened.

BOSTON —
Offensive and inappropriate messages written by a lead investigator in the high-profile Karen Read murder case harm the Massachusetts law enforcement community, Gov. Maura Healey said Thursday.

Full article at link...

Updated: 4:13 PM EDT Jun 13, 2024

"It's completely unprofessional," Healey said Thursday when NewsCenter 5 asked her about Proctor's testimony. "It does harm, frankly, to the dignity and the integrity of the work of men and women across the state police and law enforcement. So as a former attorney general and as governor, I am disgusted by that."
While I agree with her, I am not sure this was the most appropriate timing for her to make a statement.

I think that is a great question- With the video of her backing out and hitting his van, could the defense now introduce the possibility that he was killed by the plow driver, or another guest?

Its not possible to say with certainty that the materials are from the same car, except if they have a jig-saw puzzle match, which is more certain than DNA.
RBBM

I think the defense could have gone with 'JOK was hit by any number of other vehicles'.

That said, it appeared to a number of people, both civilian and law enforcement, that JOK had been badly beaten, as if in a fight.

The car angle only came into play when KR allegedly said some 'useful' things.

First of all, great list. I'm going to try to respond as a juror so here goes:
There were a LOT of people at the scene in and out during that time period.
Relatively meaningless. Maybe he didn't have much of a chance to text her that all was good (maybe it wasn't.) Plus, my husband is horrible at texting, particularly when he is having a good time.
I've said before he may not have made it into the house. Maybe someone saw him from the yard and beckoned him to the back yard. Or maybe went in through the front and downstairs. People aren't lying. They just may not have seen him.
They all were.
They all were.
They say it was caused by that little crack in the taillight and he was how far away from the driveway? I think his injuries look a lot more like there was a physical fight and an animal attack.
We don't have a reliable source on that other than Jen McCabe. (I hit him I hit him I hit him.) Did I hit him? is just one immediate thought, knowing she was drunk and maybe did it not knowing. (If anything using that argument, you'd need to toss the Murder 2 rap out the window.
Still not seeing it. We do know she hit his car. Tail light could have been broken then, glass fell into the hole and then it was placed there at different times. Plus, I don't know. I feel there would have been far more damage to her vehicle if she hit him. He was a big guy.
Is there a link to that? I don't recall that specifically.
Was this from today?
Victim's DNA would be all over that car period.

What would a similar 'not guilty' list look like, if I may ask?
They don't need one. Not saying that because I don't think the CW proved their case. I just mean legally, there is no burden of proof on the defendant to prove their innocence.

I gave a list above of what I felt some of the reasonable doubt issues are but here are just a few.

Scene not secured
No warrant requested to search the home. (Heck, they could have just asked one of the Albert's right?) Why not? There is a dead cop on the front lawn on the early morning hours after a late night party?
His arm looked like it was attacked by an animal
He looked like he got into a fight
There were plenty of other people with means, motive and opportunity, yet none were investigated in any real sense.
So many butt dials, deleted texts and google searches, broken and discarded phones, dog given away, basement of home dug up, pool filled?, house sold, etc...
Lead investigator had obvious bias from the word go not to mention his unprofessionalism
Horrible prosecuting attorney
Incredible defense attorneys who seem like they truly believe in their client's innocence

I really want to see a consolidated timeline from the prosecution. Why is that so difficult?

We haven't yet gotten John's phone data, but according to Lally's opening, Karen hit him around 12:45. Yet in yesterday's testimony, the cops saw a video of her arriving back to John's place at 12:41. That video has apparently gone missing now.

So I'm not really clear if the commonwealth's theory is that the collision actually occurred earlier or if the cop was mistaken about the video.

I think this might end up being the biggest red herring of the trial unless either side has updated data. Pre-trial the defense used Apple Health data and said the last movement was 12:32am, the prosecution used GPS data from the phone and said the last location and movement registered were at 12:24am (but did register some kind of data point at 12:59am)

I don’t see how either set of data lines up with any of theories of what happened.
I would like to see how they line up with KR’s text messages and calls. According to her interview (posted up thread) she wasn’t sure they were really welcome and she watched John walk up the driveway, then starts texting him. Waits 10 mins and leaves. That don’t made sense to me, she knew they were invited Jen was sending directions. Why let John go in and check it out…..what’s to check? Plus Karen don’t remind me of a girl that’s just going to set there if John’s not texting her back, she’s going after him. Then there’s always that other question….why would you think you hit him if you seen him go to the door.

In regards to #3, I think it's possible JOK could have been in the house and that doesn't mean that every single person there is lying. For instance, he could have possibly entered through the outside basement doors. There could have been 2 people in the basement, or 3, or 4, or 1 and everyone else at the house could be none the wiser. I don't think every single person who was there and the police all had to gather in one room and lay out a plan to all lie. JMO
I completely forgot in the Nightline interview KR says she saw him walking towards the side door. I know why people have issues with her saying that after previously not even remembering being at Fairview but I think it’s worth discussing. I didn’t realize where the side door was until today - completely missed that part of the house. Someone easily could go in that door and not been seen by everyone else in the main part of the house

I still think the best theory about the phone call from JM to JO at 12:29AM that was 8 seconds is that JM was telling JO which door to use or where to go.

In regards to #3, I think it's possible JOK could have been in the house and that doesn't mean that every single person there is lying. For instance, he could have possibly entered through the outside basement doors. There could have been 2 people in the basement, or 3, or 4, or 1 and everyone else at the house could be none the wiser. I don't think every single person who was there and the police all had to gather in one room and lay out a plan to all lie. JMO
one thing that sticks in my mind is one of those alberts giving the layout of the house and how you come in the door go to the right and can go right down...I don't think people in living areas or kitchen would necessarily know. There was an interview done with KR and she told the events in her own words....they argued in the car she was not sure they had even been invited and I think that is why she did not go in but he was determined to go in. I think he could have gone down and had an altercation with someone and it got out of control.

I completely forgot in the Nightline interview KR says she saw him walking towards the side door. I know why people have issues with her saying that after previously not even remembering being at Fairview but I think it’s worth discussing. I didn’t realize where the side door was until today - completely missed that part of the house. Someone easily could go in that door and not been seen by everyone else in the main part of the house

I still think the best theory about the phone call from JM to JO at 12:29AM that was 8 seconds is that JM was telling JO which door to use or where to go.

The side door, by the garage enters into the family room which is open to the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB