Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the little we know, it does sound like Jay might have left in a hurry--perhaps even ran away--and somehow lost his bearings as he was rushing. Possibly cutting himself on a cactus also gives some suggestion that he maybe wasn't paying attention to where he was going.

All moo and I don’t mean this in a harmful way, but with the article regarding Jay’s criminal history, I wouldn’t say it’s out of the realm of possibility that perhaps he drank too much, said too much and then felt he had to leave. As a young man these things do affect you, it’s possible he could’ve spoken about his past thinking he was around safe peers, and maybe they didn’t react well to what he told them. All moo, of course.

All moo and I don’t mean this in a harmful way, but with the article regarding Jay’s criminal history, I wouldn’t say it’s out of the realm of possibility that perhaps he drank too much, said too much and then felt he had to leave. As a young man these things do affect you, it’s possible he could’ve spoken about his past thinking he was around safe peers, and maybe they didn’t react well to what he told them. All moo, of course.

True though, it’s not as if these 2 guys were his friends he literally met them the night before. You just never know. It was as if he left in a hurry. Teenagers don’t tend to leave the house without at least 50% charge IMO. They have serious FOMO

A few more new details in this article
Lucy said his last known location is "like a viewpoint, it's a five to ten minute walk to the nearest café. I'm sure there's something going on. The police are not telling me anything and I don't know much about the people Jay went back from the festival with but they definitely should be spoken to if they haven't been interviewed already."

She said she left the festival as she was tired but that Jay had stayed on with two new friends he'd made and "a guy who we'd come with so there were four of them. I think those friends were British, although when I left the festival everyone was just mingling around. I took that last phone call from Jay around eight o'clock in the morning.

"I was asleep but I always sleep with my phone on ring in case there's something wrong. He just said to me, 'I need a drink, it's really hot, I don't know where I am and my phone's going to die.

"I said, 'If you're ever going to listen to anything I'm going to say to you, it needs to be now," she continued. "'If you're in the middle of nowhere with no water and no phone you're going to be *advertiser censored***d so you need to turn around and go back to wherever you came from and get help.'"

"He's like, 'I can't go back, I don't know where I am'. But he sounded very distressed and I don't know what's going on and I'm thinking now whether he was just distressed because he had no water or because of something else."

True though. You just never know. It was as if he left in a hurry. Teenagers don’t tend to the leave the house without at least 50% charge IMO. They have serious FOMO
Just to keep me right, are you thinking something happened in the morning not long after the snap chat with the cig.
So one minute all is okay (chilling having a smoke) in a dressing gown or with a blanket around him and the next he is legging it and possibly cutting his leg on a cactus?
Why wouldn't he tell Lucy quickly whilst he had her ear?

Just to keep me right, are you thinking something happened in the morning not long after the snap chat with the cig.
So one minute all is okay (chilling having a smoke) in a dressing gown or with a blanket around him and the next he is legging it and possibly cutting his leg on a cactus?

I honestly do not know. If that snapchat was at 7:30am and his phone was at 1% and dead by 9am wouldn’t that suggest that he had possibly been up all night (drinking perhaps) instead of charging it. Or maybe there wasn’t a charger available. I just do not understand why he never turned back in the direction he had came from but maybe he was just disorientated and a lack of sleep etc.

I didn't realise how mountainous the terrain is. Without some familiarity of the area it would be difficult to tell one hill from another. It looks like it would be very easy to get lost or fall--and like it would also be very difficult to find you again.

Untitled-18.jpg

From the snippets of conversation- the phone must have cut out and powered down. The article referencing Lucy- they were with a second male and he stayed with the 2 new friends, whilst she retired for the night. I wonder why he didn’t also go to the new accommodation and made a choice to go home on his own. I don’t think him leaving quietly from a strangers accommodation is that unusual- they were possibly asleep, in which case it would seem quite logical that if you woke early and knew everyone would be hanging not to wake them- but what is strange is where the information then came from (and how they knew where he had gone to knock on the apartment the next day) that he went to catch a bus and also it was reported they offered him a lift back which was refused (although typing it and thinking it through they could have had the conversation before they went to sleep and it is assumed that’s then what happened).

Lucy said his last known location is "like a viewpoint, it's a five to ten minute walk to the nearest café
I believe the viewpoint she is referring to is probably Mirador La Cruz de Hilda. This seems to be a popular viewpoint, with lots of cars parked during the day and also a bus stop.

It makes me wonder if he was given drugs and has either become paranoid, or is not thinking logically and cannot read the map correctly so has headed off into the mountains. I still am confused as to what location the party was, does anyone know?

It is never a good idea to separate from friends to go with strangers God knows where when holidaying abroad.

Also,
always stay at the place of the last phone ping if getting lost
to help the rescuers.

But then,
nothing surprises when one hears about a teen going for 1st solo (without parents) holiday abroad.

I hope he will be found safe.
Fingers crossed!

JMO

I believe the viewpoint she is referring to is probably Mirador La Cruz de Hilda. This seems to be a popular viewpoint, with lots of cars parked during the day and also a bus stop.

It makes me wonder if he was given drugs and has either become paranoid, or is not thinking logically and cannot read the map correctly so has headed off into the mountains. I still am confused as to what location the party was, does anyone know?
Well drugs are part of the scene but had he popped a few in the morning, it's likely he would have mentioned it to his friend Lucy.

I didn't realise how mountainous the terrain is. Without some familiarity of the area it would be difficult to tell one hill from another. It looks like it would be very easy to get lost or fall--and like it would also be very difficult to find you again.

View attachment 511648

It's extremely mountainous terrain. Tenerife is a volcanic island the slopes are sheer, especially in that area. I've hiked a fair bit there (nearby although not in that exact area). It might be popular with hikers but that might still only mean a few people per week even on the more trafficed trails. In the area where his phone pinged there is a trail leading down to a picturesque barranco/ravine which isn't especially popular. There appear to be a trail/trails that go further still downhill eventually (much further on, many hours away) reaching a beach. These appear rather indistinct and technical, involving a lot of scrambling. I guess a focus of the search is here and that - in classic lost person behaviour - he was in this area then he'll continue heading downhill and might have ended up in an area where he wasn't able to go further down or climb back up to retrace his steps.
I can only hope that the local authorities started the search with an accurate description of what he was wearing. Initially it looked like a white t-shirt (comparatively easy to spot) but recent reports say grey and green which would blend in much easier with the landscape.

He may well have but she may not want to divulge that info to the public, she may have told police that.
it would be significant information for the search party.
They need to know whether they're looking at how a sane rational person would figure a way out of his predicament or somebody who was not thinking rationally because these factors influence a search.

No judgement.
Many people would see it as a lovely way to start a day, by the time the bus arrived at his destination he would have been buzzing nicely.

Could be whatever is doing the rounds in the island at the moment.

Has anybody checked for alerts about bad batches at all?

Police 'keeping an open mind'

Local police say they are 'keeping an open mind'
as the search for Jay continues.

Speaking just before 11am local time a Civil Guard spokeswoman in Tenerife said:

'We are still searching for the missing man.

The search operation is being conducted by the Civil Guard and different units are participating.

They include the helicopter unit,
the cynological unit which uses dogs,
the Greim mountain rescue and intervention unit,
and citizen security patrols.

The helicopter unit has one helicopter which has been participating in the search since it began on Monday.

We’re not going to talk about the number of officers involved but it’s a large operation.

When there’s a disappearance police always look at all options and investigate all the possibilities.

In this case,
no hypothesis has been ruled out as you’d expect at the start of any investigation'."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper