Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling all the publicity may die down very quickly and very suddenly.

Thanks for posting this

It does add a possible more sinister aspect to the case - possibly that he was mixing in the wrong crowds etc.

MOO is that if I was planning on leaving somewhere to walk back home when I wasn’t familiar with the area the first thing I’d do is make sure my phone was fully charged (he had an iPhone like 99.9% of young men so I’m sure the two he was with had a charger)

I feel like he’s left hastily from the apartment he was staying at due to something imo

The search was focused on the mountainous area of north-west Tenerife but earlier today police confirmed they moved to Los Cristianos and Playa de Las Americas, near to where the teenager was staying.

However, this was based on a false report from a member of the public and has since been moved back to the original radius.

It has wasted valuable time in the third day of the search for Jay, with temperatures in the area reaching 27 degrees.

And that's one of the (many) odd things

Also, the Snapchat photo was taken at 7.30am apparently inside the apartment where he'd stayed. By 8.15am he was calling his friend saying not only was he thirsty and lost but that "I can't go back, i don't know where I am" (source - Manchester Evening News, Interview with his friend) and was sounding distressed. That's a really tight-time frame between him leaving where he'd stayed and being in a position where he'd got some place that he didn't know how to get back to where he'd started.
From the locality of the 7:30am snapchat to the last ping is a three hour walk or 30 minutes in the car. If he was at that last ping he had either been given a lift or was passing there in a vehicle. IMO. Can't think how else?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this

It does add a possible more sinister aspect to the case - possibly that he was mixing in the wrong crowds etc.

MOO is that if I was planning on leaving somewhere to walk back home when I wasn’t familiar with the area the first thing I’d do is make sure my phone was fully charged (he had an iPhone like 99.9% of young men so I’m sure the two he was with had a charger)

I feel like he’s left hastily from the apartment he was staying at due to something imo
That is an interesting possibility and if he had left early he might not want to walk by the road in case he was seen.

the Snapchat photo was taken at 7.30am apparently inside the apartment where he'd stayed. By 8.15am he was calling his friend saying not only was he thirsty and lost
This is also what I don't understand, an hour is not exactly a long time to get "lost". At this time in the morning, it's not particularly hot either, so the hike is relatively easy. He can easily turn back around and be back at the house party and be back in an hour.

The search was focused on the mountainous area of north-west Tenerife but earlier today police confirmed they moved to Los Cristianos and Playa de Las Americas, near to where the teenager was staying.

However, this was based on a false report from a member of the public and has since been moved back to the original radius.

It has wasted valuable time in the third day of the search for Jay, with temperatures in the area reaching 27 degrees.
It has wasted valuable time as it very cloudy earlier but the sun broke through about an hour ago. There is a breeze so it doesn’t feel uncomfortably hot but I’m on the coast at Guía de Isora so it may be hotter further inland.
I do hope they find him today.

This is also what I don't understand, an hour is not exactly a long time to get "lost". At this time in the morning, it's not particularly hot either, so the hike is relatively easy. He can easily turn back around and be back at the house party and be back in an hour.
Absolutely. Which suggests a high-level of disorientation or that he's taken a route that's gone away from the road really quickly.
As ex-mountain rescue (decades back) this makes it difficult for the search. You can surmise that he was on the move but without him knowing where he's going. The ping on the phone gives you the starting point and you can go out from there but it's a very different search from (e.g.) finding a hiker with a map and planned route that you know about. Even if he's set out in relatively poor shape and unprepared, there are so many possibilities about where and how far he could go.

I have to agree with his friend that this is strange- if you rang a friend, sent a dropped pin and were lost before your phone ran out of charge- you wouldn’t move, or would head back on your previous tracks at least not for several hours afterwards. There is a 50 minute window from leaving the previous accommodation to making the lost phone call. That also seems strange to me- if you can see your phones running low and know you are stranded, why not make contact then- why wander into the wilderness before using your phone- he will have had several low battery warnings on his iPhone. Now we have a Snapchat from 7.30 in a different area- but the clothes don’t match his. It’s hard to separate fact from rumour as well with no official updates being released from the police. I’m guessing the hire car they used had a tracker on and the 2 new friends have been shown to have not moved in any of the golden timeframe. The trolling phone calls to his mum suggesting kidnapping seem to be unusual as well and add another unexplainable dynamic I’m struggling to have confidence in the police here- moving the search in it’s entirety based on a false report, suggests there is only a small formal group available to search. So many things are not making sense, we obviously have the paraphrased phone call- but is it possible it’s being misinterpreted slightly and he was left in this rural location and he didn’t have chance to explain before the phone cut out and is perhaps not on or near a path.

Thanks for posting this

Speaking only from my own experience of my children, phones and nights out having no charger and a flat battery in the early hours is par for the course, I'm sure we've all been caught out with no charger haven't we?

Speaking only from my own experience of my children, phones and nights out having no charger and a flat battery in the early hours is par for the course, I'm sure we've all been caught out with no charger haven't we?
The two men took Jay to their accommodation so I would imagine they would have a phone charger.

Hi Suzy

Phones on nights out going flat I agree we can all be caught out by. However, I’d expect either of the boys at the apartment he went to, to have a charger.

I just feel the first thing you’d check before leaving their apartment would be what % your phone is on and ask to use a charger - he had a long walk in an area he had no idea about

I think the only way he wouldn’t use their charger is if he left hastily IMO

Hi Suzy

Phones on nights out going flat I agree we can all be caught out by. However, I’d expect either of the boys at the apartment he went to, to have a charger.

I just feel the first thing you’d check before leaving their apartment would be what % your phone is on and ask to use a charger - he had a long walk in an area he had no idea about

I think the only way he wouldn’t use their charger is if he left hastily IMO
What if their charger wasn't compatible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertlou