Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unexpected. He couldn’t have walked that far without any water.
Absolutely. Also unlikely he'd have done so without a sighting coming forward before now. Leads me to believe there is some concrete information- if the article is correct - to stand down an ongoing search and rescue operation in the inital area of focus.

Not a big area to search so they must have some credible information.
To step down the search and drastically move to another area suggests they have very reliable information that Jay was spotted in that area.

I’m guessing it has to be CCTV footage as if it was just a person coming forward with a potential sighting then I’d think they still carry on the mountain search to.

According to Lucy (jays friend) on the FB find Jay page the sighting in the south is a false lead, it could be the police have information not yet shared with the family. It is turning into a bit of a circus. You have people from all over UK jumping on flights to help search. I am sure they mean well but just like the Nicola Bulley case it grows arms and legs very quickly.

unfortunately there’s quite a dark side to Tenerife, the drug culture is strong there bringing criminals and all the usual criminal activity to the island. Someone I knew was jailed for attempting to smuggle a large quantity of class A drugs there from South America, allegedly forced to do this to pay back a drug debt to some big time dealers on the island.

I’m not suggesting this is what’s happened here but it’s not a carefree holiday destination and I thought it was worth mentioning this. Theft and bag snatching is an issue too.

unfortunately there’s quite a dark side to Tenerife, the drug culture is strong there bringing criminals and all the usual criminal activity to the island. Someone I knew was jailed for attempting to smuggle a large quantity of class A drugs there from South America, allegedly forced to do this to pay back a drug debt to some big time dealers on the island.

I’m not suggesting this is what’s happened here but it’s not a carefree holiday destination and I thought it was worth mentioning this. Theft and bag snatching is an issue too.
100% agree. I was shot down for saying this earlier and tbh it is true. Like most places of course but Tenerife really is rife with drug deals. The police are very heavy handed with tourists also, seen that with my own eyes on numerous visits.

According to Lucy (jays friend) on the FB find Jay page the sighting in the south is a false lead, it could be the police have information not yet shared with the family. It is turning into a bit of a circus. You have people from all over UK jumping on flights to help search. I am sure they mean well but just like the Nicola Bulley case it grows arms and legs very quickly.
I’m very confused. Surely the source would be reliable before the police decide to change the search location otherwise they’re just on a wild goose chase?

Yes, there are buses. I believe vans are being stopped and checked so I would imagine the buses cams will have been checked also.
I think he was staying in Los Cristianos but the apartment he went to was close to where the last ping was which is a long way from where he was staying. Approximately 45 mins in a car.
I hadn’t read he went to someone else’s apartment, I read about him being in an area with nothing round him except mountains. So I didn’t know about another apartment thanks.

I’m very confused. Surely the source would be reliable before the police decide to change the search location otherwise they’re just on a wild goose chase?

Yes you would assume so. As a poster above mentioned I think it must be CCTV or something credible. They also stated they had halted the search not broadened.

I hadn’t read he went to someone else’s apartment, I read about him being in an area with nothing round him except mountains. So I didn’t know about another apartment thanks.

He left a festival with 2 lads he had just met travelled in a rental car with them 45 mins to a northern region of Tenerife. He left there at approx. 8am Monday morning (17th June) to make his way for a bus but apparently missed the bus so started walking, in which direction is hard to decipher at the moment.

In his last know picture on Snapchat the area location is tagged as beunavista del Norte, Spain. Parque rural de Teno.

Attachments

• IMG_5908.jpeg
    IMG_5908.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I have a feeling he carried on walking downhill from where his phone last pinged, in to the ravine towards the sea, where it would have been cooler. Maybe sending his location before his phone died gave him a false sense of security that he could continue off the track, with his general whereabouts known by others. It would be difficult to search that area thoroughly.

..https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/jay-slater-missing-live-tenerife-33059980

spokesman for the Civil Guard said at 12.30pm local time: “The search operation has moved to the south of the island. The search areas are Los Cristianos and Playa de Las Americas.”

The spokesman wasn’t able to offer any more detail on the reason for the switch but added: “It’s obviously down to information that’s been received as the investigation has progressed. As things stand at the moment the search in the mountainous area near Masca in the north has been halted.

Police said this morning they were keeping an open mind on Jay’s mystery disappearance as the third day of a Tenerife mountain search got underway. A Civil Guard spokeswoman in Tenerife said just before 11am local time today, before it emerged a search had begun in the south a 45-minute drive from the Masca area: “We are still searching for the missing man."

His friend Lucy Mae said today she has been growing increasingly concerned for the apprentice bicklayer's safety.

Speaking from near Rural de Teno park in northwest Tenerife, Lucy Mae said:"Jay's not stupid, it was just before 9 o’clock in the morning when he rang me so broad daylight and the area he was in is full of hikers. I’ve been up there every day ever since I got that phone call from Jay on Monday morning that made me panic and so many walkers and other people are up there.

“It’s secluded but the spot where he last made phone contact with me is near a main road and he would have had the wherewithal to flag someone down, to wave someone down and ask for help."

If this location is correct that would make sense why pinged at the location he did as was walking south BUT would it not take longer than 50 mins to walk to that location.

Top pin of villa (according to Snapchat location) and last ping sent to his friend at 8:50am bottom pin. A walk of over 3 hours…

Attachments

• IMG_5909.jpeg
    IMG_5909.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 53
..https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/jay-slater-missing-live-tenerife-33059980

spokesman for the Civil Guard said at 12.30pm local time: “The search operation has moved to the south of the island. The search areas are Los Cristianos and Playa de Las Americas.”

The spokesman wasn’t able to offer any more detail on the reason for the switch but added: “It’s obviously down to information that’s been received as the investigation has progressed. As things stand at the moment the search in the mountainous area near Masca in the north has been halted.

Police said this morning they were keeping an open mind on Jay’s mystery disappearance as the third day of a Tenerife mountain search got underway. A Civil Guard spokeswoman in Tenerife said just before 11am local time today, before it emerged a search had begun in the south a 45-minute drive from the Masca area: “We are still searching for the missing man."

His friend Lucy Mae said today she has been growing increasingly concerned for the apprentice bicklayer's safety.

Speaking from near Rural de Teno park in northwest Tenerife, Lucy Mae said:"Jay's not stupid, it was just before 9 o’clock in the morning when he rang me so broad daylight and the area he was in is full of hikers. I’ve been up there every day ever since I got that phone call from Jay on Monday morning that made me panic and so many walkers and other people are up there.

“It’s secluded but the spot where he last made phone contact with me is near a main road and he would have had the wherewithal to flag someone down, to wave someone down and ask for help."

Sounds as if Lucy at least thinks something sinister is going on…

If this location is correct that would make sense why pinged at the location he did as was walking south BUT would it not take longer than 50 mins to walk to that location.

Top pin of villa (according to Snapchat location) and last ping sent to his friend at 8:50am bottom pin. A walk of over 3 hours…
Good point. The snap of him wearing the blanket (?) and holding the cigarette was sent 7:30 am. then he sent his location at 8:50 am.

Maybe the men he stayed with gave him a ride to the bus stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm