Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dirt road looks very similar to that on the Barranco Juan Lopez trail. There are likely several old huts around in those hills, but the orientation does resemble the hut. One does have to go through the cactus belt to get to that place.

If they were searching there certainly some LEO have already been down the rest of the trails and have not found anything of interest for the search.
I have just walked the streetview on google maps from Masca to where the trail starts and it’s ALL uphill and quite a distance. If he did get there I can’t see why he would then turn back on himself to go down a track, unless he thought it may lead to help (properties etc). On the way you do pass some buildings on the roadside and one bar/restaurant, which makes me wonder if he did get as far as the trail why not buy something to drink. I also wonder if any of the properties on the road on the way there have CCTV that has been checked.

Last edited:
*right, I agree. Why wasn't this the first place to search?
People in hi-vis jackets stand near a brick hut

Members of a search and rescue team look near the last known location of Jay Slater, near the village of Masca in Tenerife.

Outbuildings close to where the missing teenager Jay Slater’s phone last picked up signal are the current focus of a police search in Tenerife.

On Sunday, Spanish police were searching around two structures at the bottom of a ravine in the park. They were seen examining the inside of blue barrels outside one of the small buildings.
I am also finding it hard to believe that only now they are concentrating their search efforts on where the last ping was?! JMO.

Edited to add - unless they have reason to believe he has been separated from his phone and they are also searching for that.

Last edited:
Speaking from the village of Santiago del Teide, dad Warren said: "You think, has somebody got him? Because no matter if you were drunk or whatever, you don't go off that road up there.
And there are people up there... you don't go along that road for more than 20 minutes without somebody stopping you or passing you.

"I knew right from when I went up there that he wouldn't have gone [off that road]. He isn't stupid. When I saw the police I asked them, seriously, 'would you go off that road?' and I think it woke them up a bit.

Good question. It looks like someone wearing harem pants or similar to me. Unless the lighter in the hand holding the cig is distinctive to someone who'd recognise it, it definitely begs the question of who this is and, following from that, whether someone other than him had his phone a lot earlier than anyone had reason to be worried about him.

ETA I also wondered if the hand might be his, but might be around the waist of someone else in distinctive clothes.

JMOO
*thanks for bringing this up. posting for reference:
1719166498463.jpeg

I wish his dad had arrived earlier- what a sensible man- putting up posters and handing out flyers, trying to find CCTV footage. All in the village with the potential sighting (which is the opposite direction from all the trails and means he could have headed back on himself past the apartment again) his parents obviously don’t feel that they can rule out that image of him, even if they aren’t certain it’s him.

I wish his dad had arrived earlier- what a sensible man- putting up posters and handing out flyers, trying to find CCTV footage. All in the village with the potential sighting (which is the opposite direction from all the trails and means he could have headed back on himself past the apartment again) his parents obviously don’t feel that they can rule out that image of him, even if they aren’t certain it’s him.
I had a look at streetview for the opposite direction and it’s up and down in terms of gradient. He would have passed the main village of Masca which is more built up, where there is also a restaurant. After that it is quite a lot of road with not much in the way of civilisation until you reach Santiago de Teide. Obviously he could have hitchhiked but I would have thought someone would have come forward by now with that information unless locals are not aware of the situation.

Was the only person to see him after he left the airbnb the owner/owner’s wife? If he walked on the main road is it not strange that no one else saw him? <modsnip - no source> Do the owner’s live nearby? The photo taken at the steps, could someone else have taken it with JS’s phone? I see the airbnb is no longer bookable (even putting dates in way in advance).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that link, it's by far the best description of the territory and simple common sense, as you said.
My thoughts are that a vehicle hit him and covered it up..

By Ashlie Blakey
  • 11:11, 18 JUN 2024

I've never been so worried in my life. I was there all yesterday, a lovely lady messaged me on Facebook and said she had hired a car and would drive me up there", added Lucy.

"We were there all of yesterday, we were driving around looking around everywhere, looking in all the nooks and crannies."

I’m quite confused about how Lucy found the house on her way through Masca, is that doorstep visible from the road?

Was the only person to see him after he left the airbnb the owner/owner’s wife? If he walked on the main road is it not strange that no one else saw him? I <modsnip - no source> The photo taken at the steps, could someone else have taken it with JS’s phone? I see the airbnb is no longer bookable (even putting dates in way in advance).
As far as we know yes it’s only the local woman that has seen him, once as he left asking for bus times and again when she went out in her car later that morning (where she saw him walking fast up the road). I did also wonder about the phone but then who did Lucy speak to if it wasn’t Jay? If we are taking her story as truth she would have recognised his voice. MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m quite confused about how Lucy found the house on her way through Masca, is that doorstep visible from the road?
I had a look on streetview and it’s to the rear of the bar/restaurant. So I don’t believe the doorstep/front door is but you can just see the pot plant and the view down the mountain, which is the Snapchat he posted early on that was shared with the media.

As far as we know yes it’s only the local woman that has seen him, once as he left asking for bus times and again when she went out in her car later that morning (where she saw him walking fast up the road). I did also wonder about the phone but then who did Lucy speak to if it wasn’t Jay? If we are taking her story as truth she would have recognised his voice. MOO.
The only person to see him saw him on two separate occasions.

I'm not so sure tbh. This is hardly the Australian outback. I'm quite surprised they haven't found him yet tbh which does add fuel to the fire that something more sinister may have happened.
It is a vast area, an 11hr walk between the airbnb and where he was staying, even if his phone ran out after the last ping he could have walked for hours after, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack

I couldn’t see it and wondered that myself- Google earth street view and using press photos you can barely see it and they struggled to take photos showing it- this press article also mentions that you would easily miss it

It is a vast area, an 11hr walk between the airbnb and where he was staying, even if his phone ran out after the last ping he could have walked for hours after, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack

And not helped by the fact he was apparently heading north instead of south. Kids these days, no idea how to read the sun.

Could he have got from Masca to last location, on foot, in an hour?

I couldn’t see it and wondered that myself- Google earth street view and using press photos you can barely see it and they struggled to take photos showing it- this press article also mentions that you would easily miss it

Well it’s very lucky that Lucy managed to find it so quickly. I don’t think she knew he had even been in that particular village. Remarkable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi