04/22/2013 - waiting for rebuttal to continue

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably alone on this one, but I hope this motion is granted. I'm really worried about an acquittal. This option will guarantee that no acquittal will happen.

BBM

You know that's not possible. There have been juror questions that barely fall short of calling JA a murderer before deliberations. Those people aren't going to budge from murder 1.

Nobody buys the battered woman nonsense either. What is driving your anxiety?

I saw that movie too and immediately wondered if it was one of the movies she studied to try to perfect her crime. I have seen and keep seeing other documentary-type crime shows on ID (Investigation Discovery) TV that I think she must have also studied. I think some channels are showing many of similar types of crime because of the popularity of this trial.

I'm glad someone else besides me saw it - I was so taken with the similarities, down to Susan putting on lipstick to meet her new attorney who came to the prison to talk about an appeal - Susan was so "Jodi-like" in her seduction of the new attorney! ;-)

I agree, there have been many cases on TV recently with similar story lines to Jodi's - I think Jodi probably compiled a lot of what she watched on TV and in movies to create her plan to murder Travis. JMHO

But what's missing here is how is Jodi going to go from being unable to hurt Travis while he's choking her to shooting and stabbing him up 27 times and slitting his throat over a "body slam?"

If it was so hard for Jodi to hurt Travis, seems she flew all the way to the other side of the spectrum even after a month of not seeing him and not a word to anyone--even travis--that warned or foreshadowed what would happen to Travis the next time he touched her.

Just so illogical.

They are throwing everything they can at the wall, hoping something sticks. Of course, it's nonsensical, but they see it as they have nothing to lose.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I found something interesting: I finally got around to reading the autopsy and saw it states that TA's "pubic hair has previously been shaved". I went back and looked at the photo of him on the bed, and it could be true. Anyway, I doubt it was shaved by the medical examiner as part of the autopsy. What do you think?

I know I'm making a sweeping judgement here, but I think most men would not shave 'down there' unless it was specifically requested. Seems like maybe JA was the little pedo in this relationship!

Good point.

Further, Jodi claimed that on the day of his murder it was the worst she had ever seen of Travis's anger. In Jodi's world, anger expressed through a body slam is "worse" than strangling someone into unconsciousness. The former is something that can happen in a wrestling match, while the latter is attempted murder.
Also remember her description of a "nervous breakdown'? :floorlaugh: breathing heavy and shakin' like a chihuahua!

I hear what you're saying Sleuth, but do you think the DT would have gotten away with as much latitude as they have if they were in JBP's courtroom? Other judges can run their courtroom for these high profile trials in a much more efficient manner, so why is her courtroom any different? There comes a time when the excuse that it's a DP trial just doesn't fly anymore.

I KNOW JBP rushed jury selection too fast, but even so, the actual CA trial was six weeks from opening statements to closing arguments. There HAS to be some control over what the DT is allowed to pull. It has gone beyond ridiculous IMO.

I was watching some of the first days of the trial this morning when Det. Flores was testifying and was kind of shocked at how different everybody was. The Judge came across as quite forceful. JM was almost relaxed. Nurmi was somewhat organized. They were totally different people. Jodi looked like a different person. It's appalling how many people get sucked into the black hole that she is.

>snip<If they aren't careful, this jury may do the same.
MOO

That could be the DT's plan.

I was taking out a bunch of knitting one night and rolling the yarn back into a ball. One of my kids asked me what on earth I was doing. I told him if you aren't willing to go back and re-do what wasn't done right, you've got no business knitting.

You knit. :cheer: Are you on Ravelry?

Ripping, frogging ... sigh ... you have to do it or you'll regret it. lol

That is what scares me. I seriously doubt, however, they will succeed with the "manslaughter"....even if the Judge does allow it.

Premeditation is written all over this crime.

MOO

What I meant here is yes, Juan has managed to bring in BPD and that may have made people sympathetic towards JA, sympathetic enough to go from preferring the DP for her, to LWOP .. If the defence manages to dismantle the gain made (in their advantage) they are handing a minor win back to the prosecution, because IMO a BPD diagnosis would have helped them .. because beyond that I think the jury thinks Jodi is simply a lying b**** who had no reason to murder Travis other than rage brought on by rejection, or because he was going to expose her for what she was and she couldn't have that.

If I were the DT I would leave the BPD as it stands, and TRY to chip away at premeditation, because I agree with you 100% ..

But the DT is probably going to try for old the magicians trick, kick up a huge fuss over Jodi's mentality so that the Jurors don't notice all the premeditation Juan is focussing on.

He's going to focus on it though, he's going to keep coming back to premeditation and he's going to keep backing it up. Every time they put a witness on the stand it's going to backfire on them because their case is built on lies.

I don't get why the defense would even dispute BPD anyway. It's a gift in a way. Borderline's a lot more treatable than other PDs, they experience emotion on a much further ranging scale than some other PDs, and they're not typically known to be overtly violent towards others. Undoubtedly, many even often have a childhood history of abuse that may have led to the disorder itself.

Seems totally spinnable to me...unlike psychopathy, my dx. ;)
Totally agree with you on this, including your DX. They should have run with the BPD. IMO, it wouldn't get an acquital, but it might have resulted in the Murder 2 she was willing to plea to. I suspect JW and KN know their client's issues and would have been thrilled to pursue the BPD route. It would have given them something to work with. I don't think JA would LET them go there. She's adament that she has no mental issues. There is no way in *#@ she would let her legal team even consider any kind of mental deficiency in presenting her case. After all, she's Einstein, right?

JA is definitely the conductor of ths trainweck...JW and KN are just hostages along for the ride. It will, however,come back to run her over, both now and in the penalty phase. I'm totally with you on the psychopathy, and there's no known remediation. BPD, with the proper therapy and committment on the patient's part can be overcome. JA is so rigid that she rejects 100% any mental defense rather than stipulate to the one PD that is most treatable. JA is "broken" and no amount of therapy or other treatment will ever make her acceptable in society.

Thanks!

BBM

Wasn't Willmott supposed to discredit Dr. Demarte on cross-examination? She couldn't and didn't, so she gets 2 bites at the apple as well? :furious:

I read somewhere, maybe here that because JW didn't understand the questions she was asking Dr. D, she couldn't re-word them when asked to by the witness. Maybe she'll get some coaching from Dr G before she puts him on the stand.

You know they really blew this whole defense IMO when DrS stated JA had PTSD stemming from the killing and not from what amounts to weeks of alleged abuse. The symptoms of PTSD and BPD are similar enough to leave room for debate per Dr Drew tonight. I don't understand what relevance PTSD triggered by slaughtering another human being has as a defense? The fact she has PTSD makes her appear slightly more human than the monster who doesn't maybe but the jurors still see her there everyday acting cocky or like a lunatic but never like a person with remorse. :banghead:

:anguish:

My mother would never have allowed bologna in any form inside our house. OTOH, she did eat scrapple. Go figure.

You poor thing, that's one of my fondest childhood memories. lol

ETA: The bologna, not scrapple. ;)

That could be the DT's plan.

You knit. :cheer: Are you on Ravelry?

Ripping, frogging ... sigh ... you have to do it or you'll regret it. lol

Yeah, I spend a lot of time there. Or I should say I USED to spend a lot of time there, back in the dear dead days beyond recall -- when this trial started.

This is a powerful video showing the true nature of Jodi Arias and Travis Alexander & Juan Martinez. It gave me chills.

http://youtu.be/53AlWLgAmfY

i also thought this was really powerful, and it provoked SUCH emotion for me, mostly anxious emotion--what if someone as good as Juan Martinez can't prevent someone as evil as JA from getting away with this??

Earlier today, I watched a movie on nexflix called "afterlife". It's a documentary and only about an hour long, but very interesting, and comforting too...about near death experiences.

People who describe coming back from the "other side" share common experiences...for example, a complete sense of peace, joy, calm... They feel they are "coming home" as they are traveling towards the light.

None of them fear dying after these near death events. Many of them go on to hospice care or types of work that allows them to help others cope with their fears about what happens when we die. They almost universally develop a spiritual faith that transforms and sustains them throughout their lives.

For me, there is no doubt that Travis is in a better place. I pray that Travis' family might get some small measure of comfort at some point, and soon! They look so exhausted and worn out, my heart aches for them.

I'm ready to head back into the trenches with you all tomorrow, but these past four days have actually been a bit of a relief. I grocery shopped, filled the gas tank and the bird feeder, took the girls to IHOP, listened to some music and unplugged a bit...

It's just so sad that the Alexander family never has that luxury...

Yes, I believe they were both hair-free on Jun4.

Jodi stopped in Salinas (whilst getting her hair darkened), and I believe Travis made a comment about not liking body hair. ?

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I found something interesting: I finally got around to reading the autopsy and saw it states that TA's "pubic hair has previously been shaved". I went back and looked at the photo of him on the bed, and it could be true. Anyway, I doubt it was shaved by the medical examiner as part of the autopsy. What do you think?

I know I'm making a sweeping judgement here, but I think most men would not shave 'down there' unless it was specifically requested. Seems like maybe JA was the little pedo in this relationship!

Who is that blonde on Dr. Drew calling Jodi GORGEOUS and SO BEAUTIFUL and that's why we're hooked?

And the other one said, "She's so gorgeous to look at and that's why we're drawn in."

Whaaaaaa?

1 - I don't think she's beautiful or gorgeous, pre-murder or post murder. Honestly, if I'd seen her on the street, I wouldn't have looked at her twice. And I'm the first to say another woman is beautiful if she is. Not acknowledging another woman's beauty doesn't make her less beautiful. IMO, Jodi is not nor was she gorgeous.

2 - I'm attached to the case because I'm fascinated by her creepdom. The excessive everything. The plotting, scheming, machinations, lying, covering, hiding, denial. And because Travis looked to me like the all American guy who made good. Not perfect, human. How was he ensnared? Why couldn't he kick her over the edge of a cliff?

/ramble

what(shis)face . . .
I think I've been reading way too long. This is exactly how I read it and of course - :floorlaugh:
:seeya:

I'm sure our great prosecutor knows this already :rocker: and will be sure to bring this tidbit up so we all can de-edify Dr. whatshisface and toss everything he says straight out the courthouse. :seeya:

Re: BBM

Someone mentioned already that surely the defense team had gotten the report that Dr. D created. At least I hope they had it and if they did, then surely they are themselves to blame if they did not expect it to be testified to.

I am no attorney, but I dont think the prosecution has to tell them exactly what the witness is going to say or do they. I always thought they would just generally tell them the witness is going to testify about her opinions based on her analysis and report.

I will be curious to see the ruling on this and hear other attorneys opinion on the ruling. I hope they dont allow the defense to bring in another person.
The defense wasn't blindsided by Dr. DeMarte. They also had their own case in chief and their own expert witnesses. In my opinion, they had their chance. If their witnesses didn't say what they wanted, so be it.

It will be very interesting to see how the Judge rules.

MOO

You poor thing, that's one of my fondest childhood memories. lol

ETA: The bologna, not scrapple. ;)

I don't even know if they make it any more. BeachGirl's from Pennsylvania, so maybe she's heard of it, but I'd be amazed if many people on this board have even laid eyes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CamSoup