17-yo Teen Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who have been worrying about rioting........now would be the time to get really worried. That video may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I see USA Today is making an attempt at being balanced by showing the opposing viewpoints regarding Stand your Ground Laws, are they effective, are they necessary, etc. I appreciate both views being examined in their Op/Ed section.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinio...tand-your-ground-trayvon-zimmerman/53795046/1

Fact is, the new law was unnecessary. People have always had a right to self defense, particularly in their own homes or vehicles. Sponsors in the Florida Legislature relied on a vague anecdote about an elderly man who, after the series of hurricanes in 2004, shot an intruder in his trailer. The man was never charged, but he had to wait months before prosecutors made the decision. That's an awfully thin reed for a drastic change in criminal laws.
USATODAY OPINION

About Editorials/Debate
Opinions expressed in USA TODAY's editorials are decided by its Editorial Board, a demographically and ideologically diverse group that is separate from USA TODAY's news staff.
Most editorials are accompanied by an opposing view — a unique USA TODAY feature that allows readers to reach conclusions based on both sides of an argument rather than just the Editorial Board's point of view.

At the time, police and prosecutors warned against the change, and it appears that their fears are being realized. Since 2005, the number of cases classified as justifiable homicides in Florida has more than doubled. "Stand your ground" has been invoked in numerous killings where unarmed people have been shot or stabbed in dubious circumstances.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/story/2012-03-26/stand-your-ground-police/53795024/1

Some individuals argue that the "stand your ground" defense has opened the door to a free-for-all shooting gallery. This is simply not true. Although the number of justifiable homicides in Florida has more than doubled since "stand your ground" was passed in 2005, the rate of violent crime in the state deceased by 23% from 2005 to 2010, according to FBI statistics. This is not to say that the "stand your ground" law in itself caused the decrease, but it certainly was a factor.
The main issue is not the law itself, but the way it is applied. The law is designed to protect innocent victims. It does not have any provision to protect original aggressors.

THIS is what we should be discussing IMHO. This law, is it effective, does it need tweeking, is it being misapplied? THIS is the conversation I want to see. Not who wore what, whose photo looks more menacing, etc.

Tks for the article.
It is interesting that the case used for this SYG, was not even a shooting in a public place but at the elderly guy's own private property(his castle).
And I see no problem with the SYG in such instances. But, but they expanded it to the rest of the world , outside your property.
The problem I see is that folks can go shooting to their heart's contents in public places, including crowded ones, and claim the convenient SYG.

Hypothetical: Tray throws a rock at GZ , hits him on the head while yelling 'Stop following me creep and move back or I will kill you and I have more rocks". GZ does not retreat(does not have to according to SYG and fears for his life) and quickly draws his gun(has legal permit) and empties it in the direction of Tray. Some bullets hit Tray(fatally), but others ones hit the condominiums. One additional person killed and two hurt by stray bullets. GZ claims SYG..
Yes, extreme and I have an active imagination.
Picture two individuals who pick a public spot to duke out their hatred in a prearranged duel by appointment in which both will bring a gun , the surviving one claims SYG.
Imagine such a thing happening in a crowded mall. Private citizens are not all sharp shooters. I can think up many other scenarios but that would make the post too lengthy.
This law needs a lot more than just tweaking.

I also wonder if he had any defensive wounds? Bruises to the arms? Hands? Did he have Trayvon's skin under his fingernails from scratching Trayvon? Oh wait... they didn't even check?

Not only did LE mess up Trayvon's side of this case... looks like they even messed up George Zimmerman's side of the case? :banghead:

Can we all now agree that the Sanford Police are awful??

Yep. It would sure be helpful to have more evidence. Is this what y'all call a teachable moment?

So it isn't just us who find this obvious.

And many people don't find it obvious, judged by the comments to the article. The dark spot on the head is clearly visible so can you tell what that is?

i think the video is plenty clear. the injuries as described by gz's buddy (particularly the one who insisted to vp that he had 20 years media experience.....hmmmm....) are not present.

i do not believe it will take a grand jury to arrest zimmerman. i say he'll be hauled in before that.

imo/moo etc

The people who have been worrying about rioting........now would be the time to get really worried. That video may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I wanted to say that too, but I didn't directly. Thanks for saying it, I fully agree.

I don't believe that I ever argued that it couldn't.

I had just asked what GZ was wearing under his jacket.

I don't think you were the one, but in an earlier message someone talked about how in fights jackets can get pulled up - why not shirts, too?

If Zimmerman's jacket and shirt were pulled up in a struggle, wouldn't his back look white?

i think the video is plenty clear. the injuries as described by gz's buddy (particularly the one who insisted to vp that he had 20 years media experience.....hmmmm....) are not present.

i do not believe it will take a grand jury to arrest zimmerman. i say he'll be hauled in before that.

imo/moo etc

He was bleeding from the nose and back of the head when LE arrived on the scene per the initial police report.

Why is it so difficult to realize that Trayvon was stalked, confronted and shot and killed for NO reason?

Trayvon is the victime here. Not Zimmerman. Nothing that has come out thru the media up to this point shows that Zimmerman was acting in self defense. Nothing.

jmo

I'm not relying on media. I am waiting for official reports. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. GZ said it was self defense, I believe that until something shows me otherwise. Yes it was unbelievably stupid for GZ to follow TM, but I don't see the underlying hatred of black people that some people think GZ has. I see a man who is concerned for his neighbors, their safety, and who seems to be a bit overzealous but not looking to kill.
People make dumb decisions every day, some are lethal: trying to make a yellow light and getting hit, starting their car to warm up in the garage and dying of carbon monoxide. But just as TM has every right to walk around that neighborhood so does GZ. IMO it comes down to who physically attacked who first.

I don't think you were the one, but in an earlier message someone talked about how in fights jackets can get pulled up - why not shirts, too?

If Zimmerman's jacket and shirt were pulled up in a struggle, wouldn't his back look white?

I can be guessing what the witness saw until cows come home. Why can't people just admit she was clearly mistaken?

At he 1:20 mark, the SPD officer touches Zimmermans back, looks at his hand, and tries to rub something off it.

Trayvon Martin Video Shows No Blood or Bruises on George Zimmerman

A police surveillance video taken the night that Trayvon Martin was shot dead shows no blood or bruises on George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who says he shot Martin after he was punched in the nose, knocked down and had his head slammed into the ground.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/trayvon-m...orge-zimmerman/story?id=16022897#.T3OphDEV2Hc

At he 1:20 mark, the SPD officer touches Zimmermans back, looks at his hand, and tries to rub something off it.

An officer would not touch someone's bleeding head without gloves. If he did... then I think that shows you the level of intelligence on that officers part?

Where was the blood on his shirt from his broken nose?
Where was the blood - period? I didn't catch all of it (was busy running around and with dinner) and I won't be really able to get back to this until after 9. Just posting real quick my initial thoughts of what I saw:

Zip-up red jacket was open.
Looked to be a light grey t-shirt underneath the jacket.
Saw no blood really anywhere - front of shirt, back of jacket, face, arms, the front of the t-shirt - no where.
Back of jacket - not really big grass stains (my kids, in their day, could have really shown SPD what real grass stains are).

IF Trayvon was shot at close range, like we've been told, GZ would have most certainly had spatter on him - no doubt - especially in the chest, like we've been told.

Also, if GZ had a bloody nose - well there would have been blood at least down that jacket and the t-shirt, and again, there is nothing.

Yes, I see the spot on the head - but, to me, it isn't consistent with someone sitting on top of you and slamming your head against the concrete - the spot is too high up.

I think this new intake video says a whole lot about what we've been hearing concerning GZ and his injuries that night.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member