17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link to a letter saying GZ was accepted to the "Citizen Law Enforcement Academy".

http://www.scribd.com/heidi_vries/d...ation-for-the-Citizens-Police-Academy-in-2008
Thank you! That is a very informative and interesting document, which I had not seen. It's a 2008 email from the SCSO, replying to GZ's emailed application and explanation in his own words about the assault charge that was dropped and why. As RANCH says, it is the notification to GZ that he's been accepted for the program.

BTW, from the SCSO website, the qualifications for the Citizens Academy:

To be eligible, you must

• Live or work in Seminole or surrounding counties
• Be at least 19 years of age
• Possess a valid driver's license or other form of government issued photographic identification
• Not have been convicted of a Crime
• Disclose any arrests or convictions, including misdemeanors, to include pleas of nolo contendre regardless of whether adjudication was withheld

• File an application with the Sheriff's Office

http://www.seminolesheriff.org/external/InfoSitePage.aspx?pageID=166

From what I recall, the officer was in plain clothes but just because he was in plain clothes doesn't make him any less of a law enforcement agent.

~jmo~

No it doesn't, but had he been in uniform chances are he would not have pushed him. jmo

The charges against GZ were dropped, there's no conviction, just the arrest.

People are arrested all the time who are found not guilty, charges are dropped, record expunged....etc., Convictions, not arrests count against a person in almost all situations. "Arrest" doesn't equate to "guilty".

I do agree that there is a reason GZ wasn't in the Police Academy. He has done everything BUT enter. I don't know about the psych evaluation angle - I know a lot of crazzzzy cops with anger issues. There's a reason, just can't figure out what it could be.

LE does FBI background checks. Unless those records were sealed they would come right back up, conviction or not. Certain records even if sealed can come up for LE and the court if the person gets into trouble. Maybe there was a promise made if he stayed out of trouble for so many years his records could be permanently sealed. This was not done because obviously the police department still could see his records. GZ, however, believed he would be able to apply in the future because he discussed his plans to do so and was in school for Criminal Justice. jmo

I respect everyone's rights to own/carry a gun... if they are stable and responsible people. I don't understand why gun owners are even backing George Zimmerman? This case has nothing to do with Zimmerman owning/carrying a gun? It has everything to do with him following, confronting, and shooting an unarmed kid. It has nothing to do with Zimmerman's right to own/carry a gun... it is how he irresponsibly used it and an innocent person is dead.

MOO

I don't know how many are actually supportive of him vs. supportive of the SYG law. The conservative talk radio host in my town has been very hard on George and is actually pretty POed that GZ is being held up as an example of why SYG is a bad thing. He thinks it is a good law that does not apply at all in this case, because GZ was not standing his ground - he went looking for trouble. Standing his ground would have been staying in or near his car after the dispatcher told him "we don't need you to do that."

No it doesn't, but had he been in uniform chances are he would not have pushed him. jmo

FBI, ATF wear their badges when in plain clothes. It's either hanging around their neck or in an insert in their shirt/suit pocket. Plus they identify themselves right away, same as LE does. jmo

IF George Zimmerman's claims of justification for firing the shot that killed Trayvon Martin had even the barest of truth to them, he could end this cauldron of emotion at any time by simply showing some type of reasonable proof for his illogical claims. It's completely illogical for me to believe, at first glance, that a skinny 17 year old kid could beat an ex bouncer to the point he thought he was going to die.

Don't keep making a very bad situation worse. Don't keep sending a relative to appear on a nationally broadcast interview with a story of events that's preposterous for any rational analysis. Instead, if his story is true, show the world a dated doctor's report with x rays of a broken nose!

Instead of having attorney's show up, on all the media outlets feeding off this frenzy, with their newest wrinkle of a "Shaken Baby Syndrome" tale, put the doctor on that surely examined the head that we've been told ad nauseam was bashed on a sidewalk!

Instead of grainy videos OR "enhanced" videos, show us something we can see and believe like 8x10 glossy's taken before and/or after the stitches were put in.

Heck, at this point I'd settle for an inadmissible polygraph test!

The longer this goes with nothing but words thrown about, the more I have to be convinced shows his bank of proof is completely bankrupt.

JHMO, MOO, IMO, etc.

Question: Was it THE police academy, where you train to become a LEO, or was it the Citizens' Police Academy where you learn about how to appreciate and work with LE and go on ride-alongs to gain perspective on how LE work in your community?

Do we know whether GZ applied to the actual Police Academy to become a LEO? --

-- Or did he apply for this or something like it?
http://www.seminolesheriff.org/external/InfoSitePage.aspx?pageID=166

TIA

I am not sure. I assumed it was the police academy. But he has no chance of being accepted into that. I would assume that he would know that though.

Even before they accept your application they do a quick interview, at least in Ventura County they do. And they asked my son lots of questions and gave him a realistic assessment. They said 'thumbs up', except for your age. Stay in college and get back to us, we will keep you on file. But his friend was told, no way, don't bother, because he had a few incidents involving underage drinking and fighting.

From what I recall, the officer was in plain clothes but just because he was in plain clothes doesn't make him any less of a law enforcement agent.

~jmo~

If he was talking with a friend who was being arrested, I think he probably knew the man arresting the friend was LE.

I also like how GZ accuses the agent of lying when he is applying for the Citizens Academy. That always goes over well with cops, right? < mod snip > :rolleyes:

Agent Paul Fleishman wrote that Zimmerman walked up to a pal under arrest and began chatting, refusing to leave. Zimmerman cursed him, Fleishman wrote, before pushing him and causing a &#8220;short struggle.&#8221;

The charge was later dropped when Zimmerman entered a &#8220;pre-trial diversion&#8221; program, which is not unusual for first-time offenders. The program usually entails paying fines and taking classes for anger management.

Zimmerman &#8212; in applying to enter the citizens&#8217; police academy &#8212; later disputed the official version of the event, insisting that the agent never identified himself. &#8220;I hold law enforcement officers in the highest regaurd [sic] as I hope to one day become. I would never have touched a police officer,&#8221; Zimmerman wrote.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/23/2712299_p2/george-zimmerman-self-appointed.html#storylink=cpy

***Also, note that the application to the Citizens Academy wasn't until 2008. I think the letter of recommendation he requested in 2004 was for the REAL police academy and something happened to make him realize he would not be accepted. Sometimes a denial looks worse than never applying.

If he was talking with a friend who was being arrested, I think he probably knew the man arresting the friend was LE.

I also like how GZ accuses the agent of lying when he is applying for the Citizens Academy. That always goes over well with cops, right? And that he can't be bothered to spell check his application. :rolleyes:

***Also, note that the application to the Citizens Academy wasn't until 2008. I think the letter of recommendation he requested in 2004 was for the REAL police academy and something happened to make him realize he would not be accepted. Sometimes a denial looks worse than never applying.

I don't think he was going to get into police academy with an arrest for battery on a police officer (whether he knew the person was a police officer or not).

I don't know how many are actually supportive of him vs. supportive of the SYG law. The conservative talk radio host in my town has been very hard on George and is actually pretty POed that GZ is being held up as an example of why SYG is a bad thing. He thinks it is a good law that does not apply at all in this case, because GZ was not standing his ground - he went looking for trouble. Standing his ground would have been staying in or near his car after the dispatcher told him "we don't need you to do that."

This law allows Zimmerman to stand his ground anywhere he can legally be.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/23/2712299_p2/george-zimmerman-self-appointed.html

According to the report, agents with Florida’s Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco division were arresting several employees near the University of Central Florida.

I wonder if the agent was in plain (street) clothes.
(BBM)

Yes, for a sting operation the officers do wear street clothes. They are undercover, mingling in the club or bar, and working with minors who attempt to purchase alcohol. If the server or bartender serves the minor, the server is arrested or cited.

Here is a news story on these types of stings in OKLAHOMA (not Florida -- just an example).

---
The first stop In the operation was The Colony Bar at 28th and South Harvard.

A state agent wearing plain clothes heads in first, then the two girls.

<snip>

Next door, they're seated outside at Senior Tequilas and one of them orders a drink.

"I ordered a margarita on the rocks and she took my id, and she looked at it for quite a while and she was just 'oh ok' and just handed it back. She brought me out my drink," one of the teenagers told 2NEWS.

Agent Smoot said the waitress is in trouble for more than selling alcohol to a minor.

Read more: http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/teens-buy-alcohol-in-undercover-operation#ixzz1rOKoQ800

HTH

I am not sure. I assumed it was the police academy. But he has no chance of being accepted into that. I would assume that he would know that though.

Even before they accept your application they do a quick interview, at least in Ventura County they do. And they asked my son lots of questions and gave him a realistic assessment. They said 'thumbs up', except for your age. Stay in college and get back to us, we will keep you on file. But his friend was told, no way, don't bother, because he had a few incidents involving underage drinking and fighting.

You keep insisting he "knew" he would not get into the PD.. can you back up the PD requirements with a link and not just what you personally feel?
I know people that have been arrested and worked things out so that they could get into the police force...
How do we know he didn't get onto the force (his ultimate dream according to his own admission) because he failed the PSYCHOLOGICAL?????? I mean if you're going to assume.. i can do the same thing....
I would think he couldn't make it into LE because he failed the psychological...

His ex-fiance hasn't come forward either so are we to believe that just because she hasn't come forward that it isn't true?

~jmo~

I never said it wasn't 'true'--just that it seems to be a two way volatile relationship. And if she did attack him with a baseball bat, then maybe she wants to lay low and let the past be.

All I am saying is that people were putting his past RO and his supposed firing out there as PROOF he is a violent cold blooded guy.

And I am saying that when looking closer, these incidents seem like he is immature and hot headed, but not a violent monster. He was 20, drinking in a club, and a plain clothes guy starts hassling his friend, so he shoves the guy. Sounds like something many of my friends and relatives did back in the day.

I had a volatile relationship when I was in my 20's/ Neither of us ever went to the hospital or got arrested, but we were out of control when we drank. Many broken dishes and belongings thrown out windows and at each other.

Bottom line for me is that IF I was arrested for something now, and I was sleuthed, would I have people from my long past talking about me being fired before? Yes. Not proud of it. I got into a catfight with another cocktail waitress one night over a boyfriend. If SHE told the story to the press then I would sound like a maniac.

I acted out a lot because of the childhood abuse factor. I would hate to be judged for that now that I am 60 and have lived a pretty positive life since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme