17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"He asked me what to do with his PayPal accounts and I asked him what he was talking about," O'Mara told Anderson Cooper. "And he said those were the accounts that had the money from the website he had. And there was about 200, $204,000 that had come in to date."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/justic...ney/index.html

"ACCOUNTS"

What does this mean why is there more than one paypal account, anyone?

I noticed that he said "accounts" also. I got the impression that there were several sites requesting donations and therefore several Paypal accounts. Has anyone heard that there was more than GZ's site soliciting donations? I suppose some money could just come via mailed checks.

What bothered me most was that he said GZ sent him the checks by FedEx yesterday, the day MOM found out about the money. My question is how did GZ get the money out of Paypal to his bank account so quickly? I have used Paypal to sell things on Ebay and it always takes at least 2 days, if not longer, to be transfered to my bank account. Unless there is some way to set up your Paypal account to automatically transfer to your bank account when your account is only used to accept donations. Anyone know?

I know one thing for sure. I want answers from MOM. I really do think that MOM was in the dark about how much money there was and unless the bulk of that money came in the day GZ was arrested or after, then I want to know what was going on and a complete accounting.

If a resident of Florida appeared on a game show, they would be required to pay taxes on any prizes they win. The IRS has people onsite at game shows for exactly that reason. The IRS also has very specific rules on the amount of a gift. It may be that amounts under a certain amount may not have to claimed but the sum total of the gift is taxable.

Texas didn't have income tax when I lived there but I was not tax exempt. I paid sales tax in every city. There is a very specific definition of tax exempt and it doesn't involve where you live.

<modsnip> I'm an Accountant.. it does NOT matter that FL has no state income tax.. he will still have to pay SS and Federal taxes! he can not claim the $$ is a gift.. he did not file (or at least that i know of) a 501 (c) 3 status so he can not be considered a "non profit" or charity.. he will be fully liable to pay taxes on that money

bob kealing &#8207; @bobkealing

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

State hopes to put a #muzzle on #Zimmerman attorney and the case by filing #gag #order motion. Details on @WESH. #TrayvonMartin

If I were MOM, I'd ask the judge for permission to set up a trust for GZ - with the money, given the fact that the money came from people whose intent was clearly to provide for GZ's expenses while he waited for a resolution. That's what GZ's website was about, and certainly, GZ is going to have living expenses, as will his wife.

GZ had earlier indicated on his website that he'd keep a thorough accounting of funds & file reports...

If GZ doesn't use up the money in the trust, the balance could go to ... (insert your favorite recipient: TM's family, National Neighborhood Watch Assoc., NRA, ... etc..)

A compromise where that money's actually not GZ's to hold, but held in trust with GZ as beneficiary?

Anyway, BIG MISTAKE, but ... he might be able to squeak around it.

just noodlin'... but I think if MOM acts quickly, there might be a way to salvage ...
Anyway you look at it, it is GZ's income...money sent to assist him with his living expenses, etc. Which means that he can buy anything he damn well pleases with the money. Except a gun/weapon..at least for now, anyway.

He better be praying that this money keeps flowing because otherwise if Zimmerman is declared indigent by the state, he will only receive what a public defender is paid and in fact (and I'm not a lawyer) I believe the judge could overrule allowing O'Mara representing Zimmerman and provide him with a public defender.

~jmo~

I doubt that. Did not happen in the Casey Anthony case. IMO

O'Mara also said that his office has been receiving unsolicited donations for Zimmerman's cause.

I noticed that he said "accounts" also. I got the impression that there were several sites requesting donations and therefore several Paypal accounts. Has anyone heard that there was more than GZ's site soliciting donations? I suppose some money could just come via mailed checks.

What bothered me most was that he said GZ sent him the checks by FedEx yesterday, the day MOM found out about the money. My question is how did GZ get the money out of Paypal to his bank account so quickly? I have used Paypal to sell things on Ebay and it always takes at least 2 days, if not longer, to be transfered to my bank account. Unless there is some way to set up your Paypal account to automatically transfer to your bank account when your account is only used to accept donations. Anyone know?

I know one thing for sure. I want answers from MOM. I really do think that MOM was in the dark about how much money there was and unless the bulk of that money came in the day GZ was arrested or after, then I want to know what was going on and a complete accounting.

One more thing, why is O'Mara talking about what his client is saying to him. Isn't that a breach of client confidentiality? IANAL, so I am very curious about this.

:D
And who smiles after being arrested?That would make no sense IMO.

I could just see how the coversations would go if he were cheesing it up in his mug shot, his first court date, or his bond hearing!
People would be talking about that for sure.

IMO I would not be grinning after I was arrested either.

JMO

O/T Tom Delay. :D

If a resident of Florida appeared on a game show, they would be required to pay taxes on any prizes they win. The IRS has people onsite at game shows for exactly that reason. The IRS also has very specific rules on the amount of a gift. It may be that amounts under a certain amount may not have to claimed but the sum total of the gift is taxable.

Texas didn't have income tax when I lived there but I was not tax exempt. I paid sales tax in every city. There is a very specific definition of tax exempt and it doesn't involve where you live.

I don't mean to step in and answer for anyone, but I think what the poster is saying is that there is no State Income Tax in FL. That does not mean that there is no Federal Income Tax (IRS). Where I live we have a State Income Tax plus pay sales tax on certain purchases and of course all states have Federal Income Tax. So if FL has no State Income Tax then GZ would not have to pay the state anything, but all the donations would need to be claimed on his Federal Tax and be therefore taxable. I hope that helped to explain it.

But he is not indigent and until he is then they cannot claim that status, right?

By setting up a defense fund for GZ, does that mean the money is no longer his? Please, some legal eagle help?

One more thing, why is O'Mara talking about what his client is saying to him. Isn't that a breach of client confidentiality? IANAL, so I am very curious about this.

Because it currently suits his needs right now.. doesn't want to get caught with his pants down IMO
He KNOWS it was a messed up thing for GZ to do and he's trying to cut the media off at the pass! (was that a correct cliche?) :)

It was discussed and the only reason they allowed Baez to continue was all of the work that had been done on the case up to the point where she became indigent.

O'Mara doesn't have that option. He's been on the case for a little more than a week. It's a moot point regardless at this point right now anyway since it seems O'Mara shouldn't have any trouble receiving his pay.

~jmo~

Anyway you look at it, it is GZ's income...money sent to assist him with his living expenses, etc. Which means that he can buy anything he damn well pleases with the money. Except a gun/weapon..at least for now, anyway.

LOL.

ya, but ... it's not really his money to do exactly what he wants with - that was not his intention when setting up the website ...

don't shoot me - just stratergizin' & anticipatin'

He and his client made a mockery of the bond hearing. I think they will pay for it. IMO

They should! GZ and his family just flat out lied to the judge and supposedly MOM, his own lawyer about the state of their finances. I don't believe MOM but he'll slide out of it probably and GZ will take the hit....hope he is remanded to jail for lying in court, in court!!! He has no limits to his feelings of entitlement. He set the site up himself for his defense and then lies to his lawyer and the court about not having any money?????

Gotta add: The truth and GZ are strangers.....

I just want to add that MOM is one of the best - ethical, reputable, etc (that's per NeJame and per Hornsby)

We can assume the court knows this ...

MOM's not going to throw a career''s worth of excellent reputation away on GZ. He probably already has called the judge...

JMHO

It's the picture of the back of GZ's head showing the blood. The claim is it was taken via a camera on someone's cell phone. That was my understanding. Plus a cell phone sounds about right because who carries a camera around with them. jmo

I do. Mine is in my handbag at all times. I also know somebody else who does the same.

I just like taking pictures, and you never know when a good photo op will present itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove