2 sets of sextuplets born 10 hours apart

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it would be even more the reason that you would choose the reduction... so that you increase your chance of having a healthy baby.
The risk involved in carrying 6?
I understand what you all are saying but I would think with all that trying your goal would have to be to ensure the greatest possible success..

It is a very personal decision and I don't want to come across as condeming the couples that go through with it ..
Its an emotional issue no doubt and they cannot look at it clinically.
Its just very sad for these children..
There is little doubt that the babies born at 22 weeks, if any survive, will have severe severe disabilities...
I find that to be a selfish thing as a parent.

I also have a small issue with all of these people requesting donations.
It would be onething if it happend naturally but these people went through medical means to get pregnant ....
To request donations is just tacky.
I think that people want a baby sooo much that they tend to forget the reality of actually raising one (or 6)

ok...dont want to sound like a groupie of yours --- but again--
fabulous post--- I sooooooooooooo agree with everything you said-- it is so not fair to the babies- and agree too- asking for donations-

The hospital bill alone just up to this day will be hundreds of thousands. Every week it will multiply. I don't know how a couple of their age could withstand those payments.

I think it would be even more the reason that you would choose the reduction... so that you increase your chance of having a healthy baby.
The risk involved in carrying 6?
I understand what you all are saying but I would think with all that trying your goal would have to be to ensure the greatest possible success..

It is a very personal decision and I don't want to come across as condeming the couples that go through with it ..
Its an emotional issue no doubt and they cannot look at it clinically.
Its just very sad for these children..
There is little doubt that the babies born at 22 weeks, if any survive, will have severe severe disabilities...
I find that to be a selfish thing as a parent.

I also have a small issue with all of these people requesting donations.
It would be onething if it happend naturally but these people went through medical means to get pregnant ....
To request donations is just tacky.
I think that people want a baby sooo much that they tend to forget the reality of actually raising one (or 6)

I agree with you 1000%. I was looking at their website the other day and bothered by their request for "sponsors" and donations. Things like real estate services, housecleaning services, construction services, etc... that they are asking to be given for free. I'm having a baby and granted it's only ONE baby, but I don't expect any free handouts, though I'd love some free housecleaning! LOL

It sounds like they cannot afford 6 children and are expecting others to pay for it.

The hospital bill alone just up to this day will be hundreds of thousands. Every week it will multiply. I don't know how a couple of their age could withstand those payments.

they wont- --- we all will

To a lot of people that is abortion and to many undergoing the procedure it's unthinkable because of how hard they have tried to get pregnant in the first place.
Well, it is abortion. Just has a fancy name.

they wont- --- we all will

Exactly!!!

Olivia!! Congrats on the pending baby!!!!!

I just can't help but thinking that this couple has caused themselves more trauma in electing to carry all 6...
The remaining 3 will no doubt be disabled if they survive we the taxpayers will pay for the decision these parents made.

I mean its "awwww its a baby" and people make decisions soley on emotion but in reality its millions of dollars.
Someone has to pay for that and think of that...

I agree about the begging. I could use money for rent and a housekeeper maybe I should post a request and a link to y pay pal account on my myspace page. I only have one kid but maybe someone will feel for me. I think the 30 week set should be OK if the mom works and the dad stays home she was a PA when she got pregnant. I think they make good money but then again so to pharmicutical reps. These do come in waves as farr as 6 babies at a time. I think part of it is you don't usually hear about the ones that don't do well like in Min. all the ones we hear about are all happy and healthy like the Gosselins who have their own show on discovery.

I think it is ironic that the MN parents trusted in medical advances (fertility drugs), not the Lord, to get pregnant, but once pregnant with sextuplets, decided to "trust in the Lord" rather than medical advice to take care of their babies. I realize that selective reduction/abortion is unthinkable to many, but to me, it is variations on a theme of artificially altering one's reproductive capability. I am sure I will get flamed for saying this, but it's what I believe.

And I agree with others on this thread that if you sign up for the fertility drugs and opt against selective reduction, you shouldn't have the audacity to solicit donations. You knew that multiple births were quite possible, and you had the option to reduce the number.

Again, just my opinion.

I think it is ironic that the MN parents trusted in medical advances (fertility drugs), not the Lord, to get pregnant, but once pregnant with sextuplets, decided to "trust in the Lord" rather than medical advice to take care of their babies. I realize that selective reduction/abortion is unthinkable to many, but to me, it is variations on a theme of artificially altering one's reproductive capability. I am sure I will get flamed for saying this, but it's what I believe.

And I agree with others on this thread that if you sign up for the fertility drugs and opt against selective reduction, you shouldn't have the audacity to solicit donations. You knew that multiple births were quite possible, and you had the option to reduce the number.

Again, just my opinion.
Yes that is ironic MSM.
For me, since I am anti-abortion, I would never be able to participate in something that might require selective abortion.
So, I would probably opt for IVF and only allow a max number of 3 to be implanted. If I couldn't do that, I wouldn't do anything.

ETA: Congrats Olivia!

Again, just my opinion.

An excellent post!!

Jbean.. agreed ... there are options for those who feel very adamant.
I just wonder why it wasn't in their thinking that it wasn't "god's will" when they could not get pregnant?

So now they DID have 6 babies at 22 weeks knowing the potential risks and 3 have died 3 more will never ever no matter what be fully healthy. (if they survive)
It makes me feel a tad ill..
3 little suffering babies died because this couple was sooo selfish.
They knew VERY early on that they were pregnant with 6.
Although I know many are against selective reduction ... if it has to be done IMO the earlier the better.
Those babies did not have to feel pain and be born so ill equipt to survive.

I have been into a neonatel ICU and let me tell you that ANY ONE who would KNOWINGLY continue on a course that would put their baby their is doing it for only Selfish reasons .... They sure as heck are NOT thinking of the reality that baby will have to survive.

In all of the posts about why a parent would choose this ..... they all say in essence.... "because they wanted a baby so badly and tried sooo hard"
That is about THEM! It is not about the baby!
It is about their own wants not about another seperate person who will have to live with their choice and the disablilities and hardship that choice led to.

An excellent post!!

I just wonder why it wasn't in their thinking that it wasn't "god's will" when they could not get pregnant?

So now they DID have 6 babies at 22 weeks knowing the potential risks and 3 have died 3 more will never ever no matter what be fully healthy. (if they survive)
Although I know many are against selective reduction ... if it has to be done IMO the earlier the better.

I have been into a neonatel ICU and let me tell you that ANY ONE who would KNOWINGLY continue on a course that would put their baby their is doing it for only Selfish reasons .... They sure as heck are NOT thinking of the reality that baby will have to survive.

In all of the posts about why a parent would choose this ..... they all say in essence.... "because they wanted a baby so badly and tried sooo hard"
It is about their own wants not about another seperate person who will have to live with their choice and the disablilities and hardship that choice led to.
BUt Amraan, there are babies that have been born this early and this small that have grown to be healthy. It used to be that babies born at 22 weeks had little chance of survival, or survival with major problems. but this just isn't always the case anymore.
I am only responding to the notion that babies born this early have no chance of growing up healthy. They can and do. I am not insinuating it is common or a high rate, but it does happen. There are many variables that go into the equation.
Things change dramatically at 24 weeks.

BUt Amraan, there are babies that have been born this early and this small that have grown to be healthy. It used to be that babies born at 22 weeks had little chance of survival, or survival with major problems. but this just isn't always the case anymore.
I am only responding to the notion that babies born this early have no chance of growing up healthy. They can and do. I am not insinuating it is common or a high rate, but it does happen. There are many variables that go into the equation.
Things change dramatically at 24 weeks.
JBean, are you sure babies born at 22 weeks turned out ok? It used to be babies had a chance at 28 weeks - then it was 26 weeks. At 22 weeks, there is almost no chance of them surviving, and if they do, there is a very, very slim chance they will be healthy. In fact, it is all but a given they will not be healthy. Nothing is developed, blood flow is not the same so that alone creates problems. I could go on, but at 4.5 months, babies just aren't developed enough to live - and if they do, they will have major problems. Their eyes are still fused together and due to the oxygen and blood flow, IF they somehow survive, there is a good chance, among other problems, they will be blind. I feel for the parents who so desperately want a child, and I feel for the babies having to go through everything possible to save their lives. It is all so sad.

JBean, are you sure babies born at 22 weeks turned out ok? It used to be babies had a chance at 28 weeks - then it was 26 weeks. At 22 weeks, there is almost no chance of them surviving, and if they do, there is a very, very slim chance they will be healthy. In fact, it is all but a given they will not be healthy. Nothing is developed, blood flow is not the same so that alone creates problems. I could go on, but at 4.5 months, babies just aren't developed enough to live - and if they do, they will have major problems. Their eyes are still fused together and due to the oxygen and blood flow, IF they somehow survive, there is a good chance, among other problems, they will be blind. I feel for the parents who so desperately want a child, and I feel for the babies having to go through everything possible to save their lives. It is all so sad.
hi Ca-Sun. I am not saying that they all do well by ay stretch. But some have a chance . I just don't want to count these babies out yet!

ETA: It does make a differnce if they were born at 22 weeks 6 days or 21 weeks 6 days. Does anyone know?
Like I said, I am only suggesting that these babies do have a small chance.
I think 24 weeks is the magic number now.

LOL okay..here is ONE!
It's a start. :)

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8ND737G0&show_article=1

An excellent post!!

Amraann,
I've seen the Mn couple on TV a few times. I am quite certain they were well aware of the health risks to the babies.

Lastnight on the news they stated all babies are in critical condition. Your correct it is about them & what they want. It is not about the babies who are in such critical condition.

I'm sure the parents can't afford to pay for the 3 funerals let alone the cost of the remaining babies health care.

My niece was born at 24 weeks weighing 1 1/2 pounds. She was born in a small town and was fully expected to die. When she didn't die after half an hour they decided to ship her to a bigger hospital. She spent three months in an incubator, survived a collapsed lung and several other touch and go moments. At 25 years old, she is now the healthy young mother of a beautiful 1 1/2 year old son.

I was born 46 years ago. My father (then 20 years old with a grade 6 education) was asked whether or not they should perform live saving surgery on me. (I was born with Spina Bifida). My parents were told I had a 50/50 chance and if I survived I would be "severely retarded and severely deformed". My father is said to have replied "why are you even asking me, of course".

Today I have a loving husband (going on 24 years), a ton of wonderful friends, a university education (I am currently working on a Masters degree in Disability Studies), and a good job. It is not the fact that I can't walk that disables me, it is the physical and social environment that is disabling. I'm glad I'm here, and I know my dad, from whom I am way too far away from today on Fathers Day, is too.

Today many babies who would have been born with my disability don't get a chance because SB is now detectable with ultrasound and as a result pregnancies are terminated. Hank Williams and John Mellancamp were also born with SB - albeit a milder for than mine, but in utero it would all look the same and there's a good chance we would likely all be aborted today.

Whew! Climbing down off my soapbox now - sorry, didn't meant to go on...

My niece was born at 24 weeks weighing 1 1/2 pounds. She was born in a small town and was fully expected to die. When she didn't die after half an hour they decided to ship her to a bigger hospital. She spent three months in an incubator, survived a collapsed lung and several other touch and go moments. At 25 years old, she is now the healthy young mother of a beautiful 1 1/2 year old son.

I was born 46 years ago. My father (then 20 years old with a grade 6 education) was asked whether or not they should perform live saving surgery on me. (I was born with Spina Bifida). My parents were told I had a 50/50 chance and if I survived I would be "severely retarded and severely deformed". My father is said to have replied "why are you even asking me, of course".

Today I have a loving husband (going on 24 years), a ton of wonderful friends, a university education (I am currently working on a Masters degree in Disability Studies), and a good job. It is not the fact that I can't walk that disables me, it is the physical and social environment that is disabling. I'm glad I'm here, and I know my dad, from whom I am way too far away from today on Fathers Day, is too.

Today many babies who would have been born with my disability don't get a chance because SB is now detectable with ultrasound and as a result pregnancies are terminated. Hank Williams and John Mellancamp were also born with SB - albeit a milder for than mine, but in utero it would all look the same and there's a good chance we would likely all be aborted today.

Whew! Climbing down off my soapbox now - sorry, didn't meant to go on...
Your post gave me goosebumps. :)

:blowkiss:
Oh well right backatcha.:blowkiss:
I just love stories like yours;so full of hope and promise.I look forward to the day when these little ones can tell a similar story.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back