2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. Is it possible one of the A's had taken out a large sum life insurance policy on Caylee? Just thinking out loud here.

I have asked that from the beginning. KC told that she was getting $ 15,000 and that is the amount those Gerber kids policies are. IIRC someone in the family was an insurance agent (I think Cindy's father) and I wondered if there was policies on her. If Cindy had Caylee on her insurance at work there would have also been some life insurance.

I wonder how we could find if anyone had filed a claim for any life insurance. Of course KC couldn't collect, but if Cindy was paying the premium, I am sure she made herself the beneficiary.

I hear Baez has gone down to the jail, presumably to notify Casey of the death penalty announcement. I hope that when he goes there, he will fully advise his client. Including that...while they may see the state's announcement as "posturing", it is entirely possible that Casey's next venture out of prison will be to sit in either this actual chair whereupon she will be electrified to death:

elechair.jpg

....or on this gurney in this actual chamber, where she will be snuffed out in what will seem like an eerie medical practice:

gurney.gif

Baez should note that Casey will get to choose which method. I'm not saying I'm for or against the DP or whether Casey would ever tell the truth in a plea deal. I just hope that Baez is very clear about the situation on the odd chance that it might cause her to spill the beans.

Once they reinstated the DP option, I started searching for stats, numbers of other women that have been convicted and sentenced to the DP. I don't know if someone has linked this article before, but I thought it interesting, the title is, "Women who kill their Children". At the bottom it lists all of the women in the US that are currently on death row and gives a brief description of their crime.

http://crime.about.com/od/female_offenders/a/mother_killers.htm

"Of the 49 women on death row, 11 killed children."

I hear Baez has gone down to the jail, presumably to notify Casey of the death penalty announcement. I hope that when he goes there, he will fully advise his client. Including that...while they may see the state's announcement as "posturing", it is entirely possible that Casey's next venture out of prison will be to sit in either this actual chair whereupon she will be electrified to death:

elechair.jpg

....or on this gurney in this actual chamber, where she will be snuffed out in what will seem like an eerie medical practice:

gurney.gif

Baez should note that Casey will get to choose which method. I'm not saying I'm for or against the DP or whether Casey would ever tell the truth in a plea deal. I just hope that Baez is very clear about the situation on the odd chance that it might cause her to spill the beans.
Yep..........and again I say the preparation for the death sentence (especially electrocution) is worse to me (IMO).... would be enough to cause me to spill the beans..... hope he prepares her for that. On second thought.. I hope he doesn't.

Posts respectfully snipped and combined by me...

Anything to keep from finishing my taxes, but actually, the God's honest truth is as GA, CA and KC would all say: "I have no idea".

I'm coming off of a weekend of doing word-count and condordance stats on the Anthony depositions. Sort of like the "Statement Analysis" stuff at http://www.statementanalysis.com/ but more on the statistics and psychology side of things. I wasn't sure if it was quite ready to be thread-worthy, and then the DP came back on the table-- so I'm distracted again.

I'm extremely eager to read your report on the statistics and psychology side of things.

Part of the reason I am particularly eager is that very recently, I followed the same link to the Mark McClish's Statement Analysis site you mentioned above. Once there, I clicked on the link to Analysis of Some Famous Cases, and then chose the Caylee Anthony analysis to read.

Long ago, when I first read KC's statements to LE, I'd already registered nearly all of the peculiarities that he pointed out (the odd verb tense changes, the sudden dropping of pronouns, the overuse of substianting words like "absolutely" etc.). I'd recognized all those peculiarities but I didn't know what to make of them. McClish's analysis of those same things was informative and worthwhile, and very likely reliable--but NOT so reliable that without further proof I'd bet what's left of my IRA on any one of his conclusions. LOL

Nevertheless, I was hopelessly captivated by McClish's premise. I decided to check out a couple more of his "High Profile Case" analyses, and had the same reaction as above: I believed he was very probably right, BUT I WOULDN'T BET serious money on any conclusion--let alone assume guilt or innocence--based on it. To put it better, and more succinctly, the speech issues he analyzed were indicators of dishonesty, but not PROOF. Not to me. There is always a perfectly logical, innocent, explanation for verbal "tics" like overusing "Absolutely" or dropping pronouns, particularly when one is under extreme stress in a completely unfamiliar situation.

Coincidences abound, I told myself.

Until I read his comparison between the last sentence on JonBenet Ramsey Ransom note and a sentence in the Ramsey's Christmas Message. That one brought me straight up out of my chair. Here are the two sentences:

Ransom Note: "If we monitor you getting the money early, we might call you early to arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence a earlier delivery of your daughter."

Xmas Message"Had there been no birth of Christ, there would be no hope of eternal life, and, hence, no hope of ever being with our loved ones again."

I'm a novelist--a wordsmith--and in my "professional" opinion, those two sentences share so many idiosyncracies and distinguishing characteristics that there's no doubt they were composed by the same author.

How sure am I? I'm so sure that I'm sickened because I have always believed John and Patsy Ramsey were innocent victims who'd been put through hell on earth by the murder of their daughter and crucifixion by the press. I'm so sure that I'd bet serious money on it. :(

Holy Cow!! I missed a day and a half on here and look what's happened!!! I almost fell off my chair when I read the news of the DP. Looks like I have a ton of reading to do....

Otis Toole who killed Adam Walsh died of liver failure while on death row. Ted Bundy did get excuted sooner but it was still about 9 years after his conviction and he had a much higher body count. All the people on death row currently in Florida are on death row for murder, so I think we should prepare ourselves that it could be sometime before KC gets what she deserves!

Maybe so, but, it is my understanding that while life in prison is no picnic for anyone, it is far rougher for those on death row. Her shopping list for example will have much less to pick from.

ETA - I see a lot of others have brought this up. Teach me to post before reading everything!

This is brought over from the last thread. Posted by Reality Orlando:

Some very interesting reading here to go along with your thoughts:
Woman on Death Row in Florida
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

Ana Marie
Cardona

DC# 162180
WF, born 11/26/61, was sentenced from Dade County for the torture murder of her three-year-old son. The boy was nicknamed "Baby Lollipops" because of the tee shirt he was wearing when the police found his beaten body. The sentence was vacated on November 22, 2002 and she was released from prison.

Huh???????

Snipped by me...

Anna Marie Cardona's conviction and sentence were reversed by the Florida Supreme Court on a section 3.850 appeal. Her new trial is expected to begin in June 2009...

http://74.125.93.104/search?q=cache...rie+Cardona"+retrial&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The circumstances of Baby Lollipop's life / death are painful to read:

http://crime.about.com/od/deathrow/ig/Florida-Death-Row-Inmates/Ana-Maria-Cardona.htm

While I believe Casey is one of the most vile human beings on the planet, I don't think this is connected. It is possible she was against the DP, and even more so now!!
I bet she is !

Shame she had no moral dilemma in regards to Aggravated torture and murder though?

Snipped by me...

Anna Marie Cardona's conviction and sentence were reversed by the Florida Supreme Court on a section 3.850 appeal. Her new trial is expected to begin in June 2009...

http://74.125.93.104/search?q=cache...rie+Cardona"+retrial&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The circumstances of Baby Lollipop's life / death are painful to read:

http://crime.about.com/od/deathrow/ig/Florida-Death-Row-Inmates/Ana-Maria-Cardona.htm
This one really grabbed me, hard to believe she is getting a new trial. I hope she gets a return ticket to death row once this trial is over, and I hope she stays there until her execution. If she gets a LWOP sentence, I don't hold out much hope of Casey getting anything more. I wish that was not the case but the stats don't look good.

It always strikes me that the little girl looks like the picture of Caylee that was so widely distributed. The wide-eyed, solemn look into the camera.

Not that I'm even saying that it was intentional, but I've often wondered if KC found that particular image appropriate. I mean, that phrase is not unique. There are a bunch of other icons she could have chosen.

Re the image Casey put up of a little girl looking at a teddy bear hanging from a noose and wondering, "Why do people kill people that kill people, to show that killing people is wrong?"

I truly believe KC envisions herself as the little girl in most of these pictures, including the little girl letting go of a balloon. I think her rage at Cindy and at Caylee was because Cindy didn't treat KC like Mommy's girl; instead, Cindy treated Caylee that way. So Casey got rid of her competition.

I saw someone else quote you, then went searching for your post.

I'm certainly not out to change your opinion where the DP is concerned, but I too have issues where it's concerned. I strongly feel that society sends a stronger message that we value life by imposing the ultimate punishment on someone who WILLFULLY takes the life of another. To not punish someone to this extreme is really saying, we value your life more than the life you took. You didn't care about the rights of the person you murdered, but we'll make damn sure that no one denies you any of your rights. I think it's a HORRIBLE message to send a killer.

My problem lies in the fact that it's #1, very expensive on the taxpayers to seek death. Taxpayers must foot the bill for the trial, then pay all the expenses (including college for many) all other inmates receive, then on top of that, pay out all the $$$$ required with issues dealing with the appellate process till the inmate is finally executed (if that day ever comes and in many states it doesn't, thankfully, it will in Florida). It raises costs enormously.

My #2 issue is that, it's simply not equally applied. Had Casey Anthony been a black male, they'd have sought death from day 1. Two people could live in the same town, commit the exact same crime in the exact same manner (hypothetically speaking) and the state could seek death for one, and the 2nd could end up with 5 to 10 years in prison. Hell, some killers are out within 3 years.

So, yeah, I think Casey Anthony absolutely deserves death, but, I think the entire system needs revamped if we're going to keep it around.

I believe that the length of a prison term for 1st degree murder should never be less than the victim's remaining life expectancy. If a murdered 20 year old female had a life expectancy of another 55 years, then it is only fair that the murderer surrender that many years of his own life.

Of course, we would have to make adjustments for older victims, else we'd become the favored targets. LOL

Re the image Casey put up of a little girl looking at a teddy bear hanging from a noose and wondering, "Why do people kill people that kill people, to show that killing people is wrong?"

I truly believe KC envisions herself as the little girl in most of these pictures, including the little girl letting go of a balloon. I think her rage at Cindy and at Caylee was because Cindy didn't treat KC like Mommy's girl; instead, Cindy treated Caylee that way. So Casey got rid of her competition.

I agree completely, and I think she had realized that Caylee was going to be more beautiful than she could ever hope to be. Jealousy is a killer.

I saw someone else quote you, then went searching for your post.

I'm certainly not out to change your opinion where the DP is concerned, but I too have issues where it's concerned. I strongly feel that society sends a stronger message that we value life by imposing the ultimate punishment on someone who WILLFULLY takes the life of another. To not punish someone to this extreme is really saying, we value your life more than the life you took. You didn't care about the rights of the person you murdered, but we'll make damn sure that no one denies you any of your rights. I think it's a HORRIBLE message to send a killer.

My problem lies in the fact that it's #1, very expensive on the taxpayers to seek death. Taxpayers must foot the bill for the trial, then pay all the expenses (including college for many) all other inmates receive, then on top of that, pay out all the $$$$ required with issues dealing with the appellate process till the inmate is finally executed (if that day ever comes and in many states it doesn't, thankfully, it will in Florida). It raises costs enormously.

My #2 issue is that, it's simply not equally applied. Had Casey Anthony been a black male, they'd have sought death from day 1. Two people could live in the same town, commit the exact same crime in the exact same manner (hypothetically speaking) and the state could seek death for one, and the 2nd could end up with 5 to 10 years in prison. Hell, some killers are out within 3 years.

So, yeah, I think Casey Anthony absolutely deserves death, but, I think the entire system needs revamped if we're going to keep it around.

I've bolded your second opinion because it is exactly why I don't believe in the death penalty.

I am making an exception for Casey because I'm confident the state will prove she did it. I have no fears that she will be wrongly convicted.

Casey also has at least 11 of the most prestigious advocates in the country representing her.

I am more worried about whether or not Casey is held accountable than whether Casey dies in prison or is legally executed. As long as there is justice for Caylee whatever the state wants to do to Casey is fine with me.

I believe that the length of a prison term for 1st degree murder should never be less than the victim's remaining life expectancy. If a murdered 20 year old female had a life expectancy of another 55 years, then it is only fair that the murderer surrender that many years of his own life.

Of course, we would have to make adjustments for older victims, else we'd become the favored targets. LOL
This is a good idea, I would like to see the laws changed on murder (1st-2nd degree) and children. If you murder a child, I don't think there should be a 2nd degree or manslaughter charge available. For example, Jose's last client was convicted of manslaughter for the murder of a baby, how does that work ? With an adult I can see there being a differentiation between a premeditated murder and one that is not, with a child I don't see that the same rules should apply. My opinion only.

this thread is moving so fast...

I'm wondering if the prosecution is going for the DP because of evidence found that is absolute proof of KC's guilt?

Could that evidence include fingerprints from the syringe inside the Gatorade bottle?

Assuming the syringe and bottle is connected-have there been any test results released?
This little item, so little has been made of it, I actually keep forgetting about it. But reading it just now made me remember that as a home health nurse years ago, I told my patients to put their used syringes into an old bottle, like a Tide bottle or milk jug. So that when they threw them in the trash when full, no garbage collection person would accidentally stick themselves on the needles. Maybe this isn't what nurses are telling patients now. But since Cindy works at a home health agency, or maybe from another source, KC might have learned a safe way to discard a syringe. If so, how nice that she remembered to protect herself from a possible bio hazardous materials.

This little item, so little has been made of it, I actually keep forgetting about it. But reading it just now made me remember that as a home health nurse years ago, I told my patients to put their used syringes into an old bottle, like a Tide bottle or milk jug. So that when they threw them in the trash when full, no garbage collection person would accidentally stick themselves on the needles. Maybe this isn't what nurses are telling patients now. But since Cindy works at a home health agency, or maybe from another source, KC might have learned a safe way to discard a syringe. If so, how nice that she remembered to protect herself from a possible bio hazardous materials.
I had a similiar thought come to me from when I worked as a Phlebotomist in a hospital lab yrs ago. After accidentally "sticking" myself with a used needle i made sure I used a sturdy container to dispose of used needles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand