2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to get involved in the death penalty debate because it is sure to be a very heated one. I just want to say that when I heard last night that they would be seeking the death penalty in this case it really brought tears of joy to my eyes. I was disturbed at how pleased I was at the thought of Casey Anthony being put to death. Then they showed the video of Casey playing with Caylee in the Anthony house. Little Caylee was on Casey's legs playing what I call "airplane" with her mommy. Caylee looked so happy, She looked like she was about to burst with love for her Mommy. I wasn't so disturbed anymore.

I imagine Caylee looking into the face of her mother, her mommy. One of the only people on the face of the earth that this little child trusted, Caylee had the brain of an almost 3 year old....was she scared, was she still alive when her Mommy wrapped the duct tape around her mouth? Was she crying? Did she know that it was her Mommy, the one that gave her airplane rides in the livingroom, that was stealing her air away from her? Did she look at her mommy and make eye contact in that last moment.....how bad did she suffer? Was she thinking how much she loved her Mommy in those last seconds? Was she old enough to be thinking why? Why Mommy?

respectfully snipped by me.
Your post brought me to tears. The very thought of Caylee's final moments, the terror she must have felt, the confusion, the betrayal, the pain...it's the worst thought in the world. A person, a mother, who could do something so horrible to an innocent baby deserves to die. Period.

IMO, I believe the SA put the DP back on the table because they have enough evidence and aggravating factors to warrant the DP and, IMO, believe they can get a conviction and death sentence with the evidence they now have.

In Dec. when they removed the DP the SA stated in was not in the best interest of the State to go after the death penalty in this case....
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/05/casey.anthony.death.penalty/index.html

"It is not in the best interest of the people of the state of Florida to pursue the death penalty as a potential sentence," prosecutors concluded, according to the document.

IMO Something has changed to bring the DP back on the table.
The remains were found in Dec., the evidence about the duct tape and heart sticker have been out for many many weeks...what other evidence has come back that has changed the SA mind?

Anyway that is my :twocents: for the moment.

We haven't seen any chemical analysis of the hair, clothing, blanket or bags Caylee was placed in. It's been stated that analysis of the hair will be important, especially if Caylee was being drugged over a period of time.

We haven't seen any chemical analysis of the hair, clothing, blanket or bags Caylee was placed in. It's been stated that analysis of the hair will be important, especially if Caylee was being drugged over a period of time.

I've been wondering about the toxicology results. Wouldn't the ME, Dr. G. need to change the death certificate if they found a definitive cause of death?

I personally do not believe in the DP. To me it's legalized murder.

What I do believe is that the SA does in fact have enough evidence against KC for a jury of her peers to find her guilty and received LWOP. I don't see KC 'adapting' to prison life as quickly as some may believe. I don't think the other inmates will take to kindly to her constant lies. We all know already how they don't take kindly to baby killers. I foresee many a beat downs in her future!

RIP Caylee

I've been wondering about the toxicology results. Wouldn't the ME, Dr. G. need to change the death certificate if they found a definitive cause of death?

I would think significant levels of chloroform, drugs and/or pesticide in the hair might prove a more definitive cause of death but not sure if the ME would consider it conclusive.

respectfully snipped by me.
Your post brought me to tears. The very thought of Caylee's final moments, the terror she must have felt, the confusion, the betrayal, the pain...it's the worst thought in the world. A person, a mother, who could do something so horrible to an innocent baby deserves to die. Period.

I am so sorry, I know how you feel though cause I have been moved to tears quite often over the course of this case and investigation. The thing that makes me so sure in stating that Casey Anthony deserves to die is that if she is sentenced to life in prison she will not suffer.....she will continue to deny deny deny, she will continue to embrace her sentence as a celebrity status and there will be no justice for sweet little Caylee if her Mommy is sentenced to life without parole. JMO

This is brought over from the last thread. Posted by Reality Orlando:

Some very interesting reading here to go along with your thoughts:
Woman on Death Row in Florida
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

Ana Marie
Cardona

DC# 162180
WF, born 11/26/61, was sentenced from Dade County for the torture murder of her three-year-old son. The boy was nicknamed "Baby Lollipops" because of the tee shirt he was wearing when the police found his beaten body. The sentence was vacated on November 22, 2002 and she was released from prison.

Huh???????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There have been two women executed in Florida..."The Black Widow" Judias Goodyear Buenonano in 1998 and of course Eileen Wuornos in 2002.

There is one woman on death row currently, Tiffany Cole, for the double murder of a couple who were buried alive. She was just sentenced last year so she'll be around awhile yet.

Looking at that website, it seems Florida is lenient on women when it comes to the death penalty. The info on the website showed 16 women have been sentenced to the DP since 1926. 13 have had their sentences commuted to life, overturned and resentced to life, or vacated. 2 have been executed and 1 is currently still on death row. Only one of these was convicted and sentenced to death for killing their own child, Ana Marie Cardona, which is mentioned above. Her sentence to death is listed as being vacated, then she was released, but I don't know what vacated means legally. Looking at these stats, I imagine Casey and her legal team are thinking her odds of getting out of a death sentence are pretty good.

Those stats do look bad. But since women are generally not killers it is hard to get a 'trend' going. KWIM? I am hoping that the court sees KC for who she is- a cold killer.

Jbean,

I am from Illinois, born and raised. You want to talk about a system broken, now that's a state with a broken system, corrupt from A to Z and a death penalty state that was so broken, there had to be a moratorium of the DP because of the fear of killing another innocent person.

I normally do not supprt the death penalty either. I need to have pretty much 100% proof solid before I could impose death. It's just too final and no possibility for a do over if more evidence ever came forward to clear someone.

However, in the case of KC, I DO support the DP. It concerns me, why I feel this way, knowing all my life I have been against it. Hmmmm.:confused:
I am also born and raised in Illinois and my brother is an attorney there. So I do understand a broken system But since the Bears got Cutler, there may be hope... LOL ok just kidding.
I have never supported the DP, it's just not in me. But, if we are going to have it, then let's have it,use it and do it right or get rid of it.

I'm not a proponent of the death penalty but I respect those who believe in "an eye for an eye". That said, I doubt the SA reinstated the DP for any reasons other than a very strong case against Casey and the evidence to back it up. I doubt they're trying to bait opposing counsel or using it to entice Casey into a plea. They don't play games.

i've arrived more than a little late to this news. i've only read a few posts and they're mostly people speculating as to why the DP has been brought back - i don't think this has anything to do w/ the possible departure of jose baez, i don't think the situation has been created to bring about a plea bargain, and i don't think the SA's office have looked at the case from some new view point. i think the SA's office looked at this case from every view point a while ago.
really that just leaves new evidence as the motivating factor.i'm afraid that the new evidence will somehow show that caylee suffered, that this crime was actually worse or more calculated than we thought. i won't elaborate, i'd just as soon leave it there.
if this proves to be the case though i'd flip the switch myself, but i cannot feel happy about this development. it's price is too high.

(bolded by me) I feel the same way. I have this fantasy (hope? ) that whatever KC did to Caylee occurred while she was asleep, that there was no fear and no cognitive awareness of what was happening. I fear, however, that the evidence that prompted them to put the DP out there will dash those hopes.

I don't want to get involved in the death penalty debate because it is sure to be a very heated one. I just want to say that when I heard last night that they would be seeking the death penalty in this case it really brought tears of joy to my eyes. I was disturbed at how pleased I was at the thought of Casey Anthony being put to death. Then they showed the video of Casey playing with Caylee in the Anthony house. Little Caylee was on Casey's legs playing what I call "airplane" with her mommy. Caylee looked so happy, She looked like she was about to burst with love for her Mommy. I wasn't so disturbed anymore.

I imagine Caylee looking into the face of her mother, her mommy. One of the only people on the face of the earth that this little child trusted, Caylee had the brain of an almost 3 year old....was she scared, was she still alive when her Mommy wrapped the duct tape around her mouth? Was she crying? Did she know that it was her Mommy, the one that gave her airplane rides in the livingroom, that was stealing her air away from her? Did she look at her mommy and make eye contact in that last moment.....how bad did she suffer? Was she thinking how much she loved her Mommy in those last seconds? Was she old enough to be thinking why? Why Mommy?

In my opinion some murderers deserve the death penalty and some deserve a life in prison thinking about what disgusting pigs they are. But lets ask ourselves will Casey Anthony sit in prison for the rest of her life thinking of what a disgusting pig she is? No, she will sit in prison thinking how wrong America is, and how beautiful she is. Deny deny deny.....in my opinion some murderers deserve the death penalty and she is one of them.

You have said for me what I can not put into words, you are great! I am someone who has had duct tape placed over my mouth and eyes while bound by a man who escaped from prison and broke into my house. I know for a fact that poor little Caylee had a hard time breathing with the duct tape over her mouth and nose. I did not meet the same fate as sweet Caylee but the horror that I know she went through makes the DP a fitting punishment. With that said the man that did this to me is serving LWOP but so am I with the memory of it all. May Caylee's killer meet the same fate that she did!

All I can say is if I were on death row, I could only imagine how scary that moment would be when you get your date of execution. Bottom line, KC you are not as tough as you like to think you are and I guarantee she'd be scared sh!tless.
"Absolutely!" as KC says! I hear the "preparation" for the execution is the worst part!!:eek:

If something is found that is definitive then the ME can change the COD on the death certificate. More than likely that will not be the case here.

You have said for me what I can not put into words, you are great! I am someone who has had duct tape placed over my mouth and eyes while bound by a man who escaped from prison and broke into my house. I know for a fact that poor little Caylee had a hard time breathing with the duct tape over her mouth and nose. I did not meet the same fate as sweet Caylee but the horror that I know she went through makes the DP a fitting punishment. With that said the man that did this to me is serving LWOP but so am I with the memory of it all. May Caylee's killer meet the same fate that she did!

No reason to place duct tape over a person's mouth unless you want to stop them from screaming.

I can't forget that, nor KC's voice during that first phone call from jail, before she knew she was being recorded, when Cindy said "Casey but you won't tell me where she's at" and KC replies in an angry voice, "Because I *advertiser censored*king don't know where she's at that's why!"

That was not the voice or words of a mother who was sick with worry for her child. That was someone absolutely annoyed at the mere question regarding something she was done with 31 days before that call.

This might not be the right thread for this question, but... Now the DP is on the table do they go back to court right away about it, or do they wait until the oct trial? Do they need to present their evidence on why they are seeking the DP now?

Below is the Florida Death Penalty Statute wherein it states that the jury's recommendation is by a majority vote, and not a unanimous one as some of stated. This rule varies from state to state, and Florida requires only a majority of jurors to recommend any form of sentencing. (Sorry for the bolding of this paragraph, I can't seem to turn off the Bold option for some reason.)

The Florida Death Penalty Statute

Florida Statutes (1993)

921.141 Sentence of death or life imprisonment for capital felonies; further proceedings to determine sentence. ---

(1) SEPARATE PROCEEDINGS ON ISSUE OF PENALTY. Upon conviction or adjudication of guilt of a defendant of a capital felony, the court shall conduct a separate sentencing proceeding to determine whether the defendant should be sentenced to death or life imprisonment as authorized by s. 775.082. The proceeding shall be conducted by the trial judge before the trial jury as soon as practicable. If, through impossibility or inability, the trial jury is unable to reconvene for a hearing on the issue of penalty, having determined the guilt of the accused, the trial judge may summon a special juror or jurors as provided in chapter 913 to determine the issue of the imposition of the penalty. If the trial jury has been waived, or if the defendant pleaded guilty, the sentencing proceeding shall be conducted before a jury impaneled for that purpose, unless waived by the defendant. In the proceeding, evidence may be presented as to any matter that the court deems relevant to the nature of the crime and the character of the defendant and shall include matters relating to any of the aggravating or mitigating circumstances enumerated in subsections (5) and (6). Any such evidence which the court deems to have probative value may be received, regardless of its admissibility under the exclusionary rules of evidence, provided the defendant is accorded a fair opportunity to rebut any hearsay statements. However, this subsection shall not be construed to authorize the introduction of any evidence secured in violation of the Constitution of the United States or the Constitution of the State of Florida. The state and the defendant or his counsel shall be permitted to present argument for or against sentence of death.
(2) ADVISORY SENTENCE BY THE JURY. After hearing all the evidence, the jury shall deliberate and render an advisory sentence to the court, based upon the following matters:
(a) Whether sufficient aggravating circumstances exist as enumerated in subsection (5);
(b) Whether sufficient mitigating circumstances exist which outweigh the aggravating circumstances found to exist; and
(c) Based on these considerations, whether the defendant should be sentenced to life imprisonment or death.
(3) FINDINGS IN SUPPORT OF SENTENCE OF DEATH. Notwithstanding the recommendation of a majority of the jury, the court, after weighing the aggravating and mitigating circumstances, shall enter a sentence of life imprisonment or death, but if the court imposes a sentence of death, it shall set forth in writing its findings upon which the sentence of death is based as to the facts:
(a) That sufficient aggravating circumstances exist as enumerated in subsection (5), and
(b) That there are insufficient mitigating circumstances to outweigh the aggravating circumstances.
In each case in which the court imposes the death sentence, the determination of the court shall be supported by specific written findings of fact based upon the circumstances in subsections (5) and (6) and upon the records of the trial and the sentencing proceedings. If the court does not make the findings requiring the death sentence, the court shall impose sentence of life imprisonment in accordance with s. 775.082.
(4) REVIEW OF JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE. The judgment of conviction and sentence of death shall be subject to automatic review by the Supreme Court of Florida within 60 days after certification by the sentencing court of the entire record, unless the time is extended for an additional period not to exceed 30 days by the Supreme Court for good cause shown. Such review by the Supreme Court shall have priority over all other cases and shall be heard in accordance with rules promulgated by the Supreme Court.
(5) AGGRAVATING CIRCUMSTANCES. Aggravating circumstances shall be limited to the following:
(a) The capital felony was committed by a person under sentence of imprisonment or placed on community control.
(b) The defendant was previously convicted of another capital felony or of a felony involving the use or threat of violence to the person.
(c) The defendant knowingly created a great risk of death to many persons.
(d) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was engaged, or was an accomplice, in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit, any robbery, sexual battery, arson, burglary, kidnapping, or aircraft piracy or the unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb.
(e) The capital felony was committed for the purpose of avoiding or preventing a lawful arrest or effecting an escape from custody.
(f) The capital felony was committed for pecuniary gain.
(g) The capital felony was committed to disrupt or hinder the lawful exercise of any governmental function or the enforcement of laws.
(h) The capital felony was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel.
(i) The capital felony was a homicide and was committed in a cold, calculated, and premeditated manner without any pretense of moral or legal justification.
(j) The victim of the capital felony was a law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his official duties.
(k) The victim of the capital felony was an elected or appointed public official engaged in the performance of his official duties if the motive for the capital felony was related, in whole or in part, to the victim's official capacity.

(6) MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES. Mitigating circumstances shall be the following:
(a) The defendant has no significant history of prior criminal activity.
(b) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance.

(c) The victim was a participant in the defendant's conduct or consented to the act.
(d) The defendant was an accomplice in the capital felony committed by another person and his participation was relatively minor.
(e) The defendant acted under extreme duress or under the substantial domination of another person.
(f) The capacity of the defendant to appreciate the criminality of his conduct or to conform his conduct to the requirements of law was substantially impaired.
(g) The age of the defendant at the time of the crime.
(7) VICTIM IMPACT EVIDENCE. Once the prosecution has provided evidence of the existence of one or more aggravating circumstances as described in subsection (5), the prosecution may introduce, and subsequently argue, victim impact evidence. Such evidence shall be designed to demonstrate the victim's uniqueness as an individual human being and the resultant loss to the community's members by the victim's death. Characterizations and opinions about the crime, the defendant, and the appropriate sentence shall not be permitted as a part of victim impact evidence.
(8) APPLICABILITY. This section does not apply to a person convicted or adjudicated guilty of a capital drug trafficking felony under s. 893.135.
History: s. 237a, ch. 19554, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 8663(246); s. 119, ch. 70-339; s. 1, ch. 72-72; s. 9, ch. 72-724; s. 1, ch. 74-379; s. 248, ch. 77-104; s. 1, ch. 77-174; s. 1, ch. 79-353; s. 177, ch. 83-216; s. 1, ch. 87-368; s. 10, ch. 88-381; s. 3, ch. 90-112; s. 1, ch. 91-270; s. 1, ch. 92-81.
Note. Former s. 919.23.

http://home.c2i.net/sissel.norway/flori.html

Per the above, there may be several MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES that Casey's team might use at trial.

These three spring immediately to mind ...

(a) The defendant has no significant history of prior criminal activity.

(b) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance.

(e) The defendant acted under extreme duress or under the substantial domination of another person.

Has this topic already been discussed?

The Defense "team" would love the propective jurors to think the DP
was put in place because of Politics but I am confident that the SA
have good reason for their decision. KC's lack of remorse and her
31 days of silence along with driving around with the smell of decomp. in
her car coupled with anything else SA has will be more than enough
to show her guilt in the death of Caylee.

I just heard...I couldn't be happier. Now, if the state doesn't blow it and they get the murder 1 conviction, she will die. Unfortunately, considerations will be made for casey that she never bothered to make for Caylee, but at least she will experience the same moments of fear and comprehension that her daughter did.

Too bad the chair has been decommissioned. I would like to see casey fry, instead of being primped and pretty when she goes.

Being on "death row" is actually going to afford her a little more protection in the prison system, as she will be segregated from the general population.... does anyone know if this is correct? It cost the State far more over the years of appeals to house a death penalty, inmate than a life inmate, far more, a ridiculous amount more so I believe the State is doing it to get the death qualified jurors (more law and order), to force a plea, and to get a more realistic lawyer to first chair (a lot of JB actions already will be great for KC to appeal), and not necessarily in that order.
KC seemed very glib and apparently misled (the day she was arrested for murder, talking to the FBI and police), mentioning they may have nothing but speculation, maybe this will make it more real for her and she will have a come to Jesus eye opening time to understand the seriousness of remaining quiet. I hope so. The trial is going to ruin even more lives than this mess already has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela