2010.03.18 KC's indigency hearing #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He stated emphatically that was Casey's deal and that he had consulted an ethics attorney and was advised it would be completely unethical for him to broker any such deals on her behalf. Now ABC is saying Baez DID broker the deal!!!

Thank you for clarifying! I was only thinking of today not the last hearing concerning funding.

Disney owns ABC, so...........

Disney has been paying KC's defense.

So, if they are granted indigency for this case how will they be paid? Will they turn in expenses to someone and then they will be reimbursed or will they get a lump sum of money and have to account for how it is spent? tia

Usually, at the END of the case, the individuals will turn in vouchers to the Court. They cannot exceed whatever amount is the cap, no matter how many hours they put in. The Judge will sign the voucher to approve that these hours were spent as claimed, it gets sent to the Supreme Court of Florida Criminal Defense Fund (or whatever they call it in Florida), and the Supreme Court of Florida will send them the paychecks.

If it hasn't been done already (I just keep refreshing this soap opera), this ABC deal needs it's own thread, imo.

He stated emphatically that was Casey's deal and that he had consulted an ethics attorney and was advised it would be completely unethical for him to broker any such deals on her behalf. Now ABC is saying Baez DID broker the deal!!!
Yes, he did...

The prosecution pressed Baez about money from a deal made with ABC News.

"$200,000 came from a deal that was done by my client through the American Broadcasting Company," Baez said.

http://www.wesh.com/news/22874392/detail.html

Has anyone read the latest up in Today's News?
ABC says the picture deal was brokered BY BAEZ, not Casey.

"I asked ABC News if the deal was done with Casey Anthony.

The deal was done with an attorney representing several owners of copyrighted content, ABC News spokeswoman Cathie Levine said. That attorney is Baez, she added."<snipped>

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent...y+%28TV+Guy%29

:banghead: Yes, I read it a little bit ago and could not believe that this was not brought up in todays hearing. Is it not a conflict of interest if Baez is the one that got paid for Caylee's pics/videos?

So, if they are granted indigency for this case how will they be paid? Will they turn in expenses to someone and then they will be reimbursed or will they get a lump sum of money and have to account for how it is spent? tia

They will turn in receipts or invoices for expenses to the JAC who will approve if the expenses are within guidelines and then reimburse. Plus, I think I heard from what Richard Hornsby wrote, the money will not go through the lawyers at all but rather the vendors (like the PI, the transcriptionist) will have to bill JAC directly. Someone correct if I'm remembering wrong.

How on earth did JB get Cheney Mason to join his team. This guy is a power house attorney. I just can't imagine Cheney Mason getting involved with this case. He is first class all the way!

Because that is exactly the type of person they need....IMO, they have bungled this case badly since the beginning. They need someone of his caliber and reputation to try and regain some credibility. Plus, its a win win for Mr. Mason. He can afford to do this pro-bono for his time...especially if the costs are to be paid by JAC.

Yes, he did...

The prosecution pressed Baez about money from a deal made with ABC News.

"$200,000 came from a deal that was done by my client through the American Broadcasting Company," Baez said.

http://www.wesh.com/news/22874392/detail.html
See, he says the deal was done "through my client" but ABC says it was done through Baez, that he was the attorney that brokered the deal. That should get him perjury if that is the truth! He is completely unethical!

:banghead: Yes, I read it a little bit ago and could not believe that this was not brought up in todays hearing. Is it not a conflict of interest if Baez is the one that got paid for Caylee's pics/videos?
I think it wasn't brought up because Jose LIED outright and said it was Casey's deal...

They will turn in receipts or invoices for expenses to the JAC who will approve if the expenses are within guidelines and then reimburse. Plus, I think I heard from what Richard Hornsby wrote, the money will not go through the lawyers at all but rather the vendors (like the PI, the transcriptionist) will have to bill JAC directly. Someone correct if I'm remembering wrong.

You are correct. :)

:banghead:I am confused. AL's said she is working pro-bono and that she spent around 1000 hrs working on the Case. She then says she had to buy computers, investigative work, travel, and transcripts. If an attorney inserts themselves in a case as pro-bono how can they come back later and ask for money?

She also says she does fund raising for her clinic for the poor criminals $70,000 of that used, $22,000 can be deducted? So confused here.

AL's knew what she was getting into, the amount needed was of no surprise, so why all the nonsense now about being broke? They all wanted to work for free...how can they now ask for money? They should be thrown off the case and Casey should get a PD just like any other inmate!!!!:furious:

I pray to the good Lord that AL's and Baez's get exposed! Something is really wrong, I feared that JS was going to over look it, and he didn't...now we just need the proof to appear! Time for the circus to leave town!:furious:

"Snip" http://www.wftv.com/video/22877854/index.html

There is a big distinction between hours she has spent on the case (legal fees) and expenses she/they have incurred in preparing the the case (legal costs). I will put $$ on it that the "fees" referenced by Baez for himself and AL are just that....but that they rec'd reimbursement for costs out of that $282k, i.e. computers, travel, etc.

Mr. Baez seems to have a very poor understanding of what just happened today. All hell broke loose and he thinks he emerged victorious. He may be in very serious trouble with the bar over the ABC deal that he brokered. I have to think of a new theme song for him but I know it will have the words bye bye in it.

ABC says the picture deal was brokered BY BAEZ, not Casey.

"I asked ABC News if the deal was done with Casey Anthony.

The deal was done with an attorney representing several owners of copyrighted content, ABC News spokeswoman Cathie Levine said. That attorney is Baez, she added."

www.orlandosentinel.com

No wonder he wanted to keep the finances a secret!
And if it was Todd M. who donated the $70,000.00 where on earth did he get THAT when he is in trouble for misappropriation of funds of HIS client? Did he steal HIS clients money and DONATE it to Casey Anthonys defense? Dear Lord this is one wild ride!!!

In other words, the defense got what they asked for. :waitasec:

My impression was just the initial submission and discussion of expenses was going to be held in camera, but once that happens JS wanted it released to the public PDQ.

Can someone please post a link so those of us that missed the hearing can watch it now.. Please and thank you.

See, he says the deal was done "through my client" but ABC says it was done through Baez, that he was the attorney that brokered the deal. That should get him perjury if that is the truth! He is completely unethical!

If ABC produces anything with JB's signature on it then I seriously doubt he will continue to be the lead attorney in this case. I think C Mason will slip right in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megamookie