2010.05.06 Budget Hearing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Judge Perry denied a blanket motion to supress information on florida statutes as per OS att response and JAC response to motion, which includes her commissary accounts and so forth. JP said he would look at things on a case by case basis in the future should anything come up...but I am paraphrasing here, but that was the main gist of it. IIRC JP stated two cases and said there had to be exceptional circumstances.

I thought this specifically related to just the motion to seal all the JAC docs. The objection was that is was too broad and that they could file motions on certain docs as they came up. I think the motion to seal jail visits is a separate issue.

In addition JP went on to say how important the media were as a handmaiden of coverage/accountability/wrongful convictions etc...I'll have to watch that bit again. But Baez was not getting any of Caseys records sealed as to commissary, her jail accounts, what she orders and other general reporting on the case.

JP was very clear on this.

I love this about Judge Perry. He is the utmost professional and always on the alert. I have a sense that nothing will get past him. There is no relaxation. It is let's get to work and roll! You aren't ready? Why not?!

He expects accountability not excuses! :gavel:

I might as well be the first person to say it - but yes, I agree with the poster who said JBP is fifty steps ahead of Baez and on him like white on rice.

While I think JBP thinks this case is unusual, I don't think he thinks it is exceptional. He sounds to me as he believes ICA will be found guilty with a strong possibility of the DP. And like JS, he is giving extra leverage to Baez in granting some of the out of state experts so there is little or no chance of appeal on many of the issues.

There, I've said it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, presumed innocent et al, but this judge has tried a lot of cases, and I think he has made an intelligent leap to a probable conclusion.

I thought this specifically related to just the motion to seal all the JAC docs. The objection was that is was too broad and that they could file motions on certain docs as they came up. I think the motion to seal jail visits is a separate issue.

Not just the JAC docs - don't forget that when Baez got up to argue he called out the media, the leeches etc., remember that Baez always brings up things not in his motion, but to be honest I will have to go back and watch that bit again.

When I post and watch at the same time I tend to miss bits and pieces.

I don't know JBean, after reading A.Lyon's comments on jury selection and knowing what her jury bag of tricks contains, I can certainly understand JP wanting to corral those antics. I wouldn't consider that "cutting corners" at all. I doubt JP is going to be sitting there with a stop watch.

ITA - Jury consultants are not about deciding who is qualified to sit on a jury but more about who is more likely to come in with a verdict that favors your own side based on some complicated equation of demographic factors. It's to help secure a victory, not to provide a jury of peers. Since it is such a recent indulgence in our jurisprudence system, I shouldn't think the absence of such a luxury would be considered scrimping. After all, the state has to rely on their own resources as well; they don't have any advantage here.

Not just the JAC docs - don't forget that when Baez got up to argue he called out the media, the leeches etc., remember that Baez always brings up things not in his motion, but to be honest I will have to go back and watch that bit again.

When I post and watch at the same time I tend to miss bits and pieces.

me too.

I might as well be the first person to say it - but yes, I agree with the poster who said JBP is fifty steps ahead of Baez and on him like white on rice.

While I think JBP thinks this case is unusual, I don't think he thinks it is exceptional. He sounds to me as he believes ICA will be found guilty with a strong possibility of the DP. And like JS, he is giving extra leverage to Baez in granting some of the out of state experts so there is little or no chance of appeal on many of the issues.

There, I've said it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, presumed innocent et al, but this judge has tried a lot of cases, and I think he has made an intelligent leap to a probable conclusion.
bbm
I have not seen any indication of this, and I certainly hope you are wrong because if true, JP might not be around for very long.
I think he is being very unbiased and thoughtful with his decisions.

If anyone wants to jump in who remembers better than QB and me....please feel free. TIA :)

I'm re-watching that segment now, can't believe it, like the first time wasn't painful enough.

Yes, me too. And we had a gray whale who wandered into a major harbor here very early this morning. So at 5:45am I had to decide to sit down and watch the hearing (which started at 6 am my time) or go and see the gray whale being persuaded to leave the bay and head out to sea.

Guess who won?

Yes, me too. And we had a gray whale who wandered into a major harbor here very early this morning. So at 5:45am I had to decide to sit down and watch the hearing (which started at 6 am my time) or go and see the gray whale being persuaded to leave the bay and head out to sea.

Guess who won?

I hope the whale won.

Can someone tell me when JB stated the date that the second autopsy that they did on Caylee?

As JB was going down his list of experts, all I could keep thinking was, wow! it's been 2 years and they still need to pay for all this? Where the heck did all that money go? What have they been doing for TWO whole years??!! They have done a ton of media interviews and I guess that is where all there time has been spent. JB said that some of his experts had not reviewed the evidence. WHAT? It's been TWO years. I am just astounded that basically a few depositions have been done and they've been running around trying to pin this on someone else. IMO, it is clear what is going on now. They have every intention of pointing the finger at someone in the family, hence "the Anthony family's car." I think this is the first time I've heard it referenced as that.

Also, was it my imagination or while Mason was arguing the montion about Casey not wanting to be there, JB was on his phone?!! He was holding it under the table but he was clearly texting or reading texts.

I just caught part of the March 18 hearing on In Sessions. Baez said he did not keep records of how many hours he put in (is that an acceptable attorney practice???), but he estimated he's put in approximately 2,500 hours in the last year and a half. I find that absolutely incredible.

There, I've said it.

I agree with you, mostly :) JP is going to keep this trial moving quickly and with as little nonsense as possible. I think he will keep his own opinions strictly to hemself though. One thing he did over and over today and at the last hearing was to mention the DP, LWOP, and how serious this case is. I think he was doing this deliberately so that KC understands exactly what she is facing - no matter what her attorneys tell her. I watched JP's expression when he mentioned these things and I honestly felt he was making a point and I thought he was making that point to KC.

I'm re-watching that segment now, can't believe it, like the first time wasn't painful enough.

Good on ya QB! Can you post your opinion here when you get to it?

I'm watching the Coleman trial at the moment and won't have time to re-watch just yet.

bbm
I have not seen any indication of this, and I certainly hope you are wrong because if true, JP might not be around for very long.
I think he is being very unbiased and thoughtful with his decisions.

I DID NOT say he wasn't being unbiased and thoughtful in his decisions. He is being more so than I expected. But I was watching his face and his reactions when he is listening to Baez.

I also feel this is a very very professional person who can remain detached from his belief system, and particularly to his own assumptions and logical thinking based on his experience as a judge, and focus completely on the law. But he did grant the defense an unusually high number of out of state experts.

This is just my opinion, not a fact.

Can someone tell me when JB stated the date that the second autopsy that they did on Caylee?

I heard him quote a date of 24 Dec but I'm not sure if that was to look at the site where Caylee was found or something else.

I really hated to go to court because of the shame, guilt, etc. In the very beginning it made the news but was quickly forgotten since it was pretty run of the mill (to everyone except me). I posted on me WS blog what a court day entails for a prisoner but keep in mind KC is in PC. She can't be part of the cattle call approach for changing clothes, transport, etc. Down in the bullpen, waiting to come up to court is probably spent in a separate cage. The PC booth here (Allegheny County) was across from the bullpen. Depending on the mood(s) of the sheriff(s), she could be subjected to big time razzing. But, as the celebrity pointed out, that is the price of fame. Her outfit du jour intrigues me. I had the same suit, etc and only changed ties. Then again, I plead out and only had to go in front of the judge 3 times. Since she is PC, I would think anything would help alleviate was must be mind-numbing boredom. No playing cards or shooting hoops to whittle away the days until prison...

I commented on KC when the live feed started - it looked like she was crying to me. She was wiping her eyes and it looked like her mascara was running. I keep wondering why or was I seeing things? IF she was crying - could it be because she saw that C & G were not in the courtroom? But if that was it - why would she be crying about that?

My guess regarding KC's tears is that she was heavily medicated today.

At the beginning of the hearing she was staring into space and eerily motionless -- completely zoned out.

If she is on meds, I think the meds could have made her emotional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila