2011.01.06 Baez Slapped with Formal Sanction

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O.M.G. PLEASE tell me he is not taking a vacation!! What kind of attorney would take a vacay a mere eleven weeks before the start of a major death penalty trial ???

Nevermind, don't answer that. :banghead:

Surely he is not taking a vacation and he has some other lame reason he will be unavailable.....

Here's what I posted on another thread. Whenever we had a major trial, arbitration, etc. coming up at my old firm, they would say "all shore leave is cancelled"......we knew it was crunch time. Seriously, if we had cots in the office, we could have used them. Otherwise, go home around 1:00 a.m. - back at work at 8:00 a.m. Weekends, holidays, didn't matter.

But that was a real law firm. With real lawyers.

ETA: That is why I thoroughly enjoy working on the other side now....on the Judge's side!! No more late nights. Everybody works on our schedule!

The Defense's case is crumbling into dust around JB's feet and he doesn't seem to realize it yet.

Someone needs to sit him down (perhaps his co counsels, perhaps his investigators, just anybody) and explain things in short sentences and simple words to make sure he grasps what they are saying. He has to make KC understand the consequences of going to trial. IMO, He is doing his own client an injustice at this point.

BBM - He should bring his laptop into the jail and show her a virtual tour of DR:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/vtour/index.html

Then make her read the daily routine of a DR inmate over and over until she gets it. Leave a copy for her to re-read when she returns to her cell. She will go insane sitting on DR and she won't live past her thirties if she gets the DP. There is a very good chance she will get the DP because there is a mountain of evidence against her and she is a very unlikeable person.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/index.html#Routine

She has to understand that in the real world there are consequences for her actions and the jury will not consist of Cindy, George, or Lee. She is not a celebrity nor will she be treated like one. She will be treated like the criminal she is and once she's locked up the public will rarely ever hear a word about her.

IMO

JSR, you really think KC will get the death penalty??? I keep going back and forth on this one.

Thx!

Yes, I do think she'll get death. She simply doesn't have enough redeeming qualities that Finnell can work with.

The fact she killed her own child (and not a stranger), that she displayed so much happiness after Caylee was gone and her chilling first phone call phone from jail will do her in. I know those aren't the specifics the jury needs to consider the death penalty but those facts will remain with the jurors when they deliberate for the sentence.

You can't get much of a cold hearted person than Casey, no matter how cute she looked when she was a child.

Here's what I posted on another thread. Whenever we had a major trial, arbitration, etc. coming up at my old firm, they would say "all shore leave is cancelled"......we knew it was crunch time. Seriously, if we had cots in the office, we could have used them. Otherwise, go home around 1:00 a.m. - back at work at 8:00 a.m. Weekends, holidays, didn't matter.

But that was a real law firm. With real lawyers.

ETA: That is why I thoroughly enjoy working on the other side now....on the Judge's side!! No more late nights. Everybody works on our schedule!

Nice. The late nights prepping for trial can really wreck havoc on people. I might have to consider jumping sides one day ... lol

I sure do hope you guys are correct, but I am begining to lose faith.

I do hope HHJP does not allow any more extensions and forces this trial forward.

Yes, you are maybe reading too much into HHJP giving JB a light sanction and a few more bucks for investigating.

HHJP was said and continues to say the trial will start in May. No matter what extensions or monies he gives the defense - that thar date is one big immovable huge rock facing the defense. And it isn't going anywhere. The defense will and must climb it and be there and be squared on May 11th, 2011.
End of story - except oh yeah, I forgot - Guilty, GUILTY, GUILTY!

Am I wrong in assuming that it does not matter if JB says it is "Moot". It does not matter if he is or isn't working for a bag or oranges. It does not matter if "They do not anticipate needing to call this witness at this time". and it does not matter if "This witness is for consulting purposes only". At this late stage if they are on the defense witness list can the oposing side not ex[ect that they will be called at trial, and have the right, requirement, and reasonable expectations to be able to make preparations as such. JB has not removed any of these moot experts from his witness list. Unless or until he does he is in clear violation of the courts order. :furious:

Or am I missing some subtle point there? :banghead:

Nope. I think you got it all.

I'm THANKING what you had to say, JSR...... but I'm not LIKING what you had to say. :sigh:

HHJP was so adamant at the hearing that he would NOT give JB 30 days to produce the reports, and gave him 20 as it was.... now the day before they are due, JB asks for more time?

I'm just not getting how JB gets away with as much as he does.... assuming HHJP does grant him any amount of extension.

Something just smells fishy to me about all this....

I think HHJBP has to bend over backwards for the defense to ensure they can't cry about not getting enough time to prepare on appeal. JMO

OMG an extra 45 days for Spitz and and Logan!!!!! Are they high?

I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question.

HHJP: I'm not giving you 30 days.
JB: Then how about you give me 20 and then I ask for an additional 45?

My three year old twins don't understand the rules of bargaining either, but they're three years old, they don't have law degrees, and nobody's life and freedom depend on them doing things right.

BBM

I'm not sure JB does either and if I were ever arrested I'd take your twins over JB to defend me.

I wonder if this "unique opportunity" has anything to do with Baez being unavailable 2/21 to 2/25?

Johnny Knoxville invited him to appear in the next Jackass movie.

We should have a poll for that question.

IMO

A jury full of emus could see she should get the DP. JMO

Something I don't understand is this. If the defense has evidence like a gun or knife etc. and doesn't turn it over to the prosecution it's a criminal offense IIRC. So why wouldn't expert reports fall under the same category? :waitasec:

O/T I seriously can't see KC being sentenced to LWOP and , I think, the DP won't even be considered by the jury. As much as we may think she deserves the maximum penalty, I think that we will be lucky to see 15 years handed down. With time served and being a model prisoner she'll probably do less than 10 years. :(

I also feel she will not be sentenced to death. But as far as I know if convicted of first degree murder, Florida imposes a mandatory life sentence. So to get 15 years, are you saying the State won't prove murder or that she will be found guilty of a lesser charge?

I hold the opinion given the evidence that I have seen, that the State will be able to prove premeditated murder as the law says premeditation can be seconds........ or the time it takes you to cut your second piece of duct tape. MOO

I think HHJBP has to bend over backwards for the defense to ensure they can't cry about not getting enough time to prepare on appeal. JMO

BBM

I'm not sure JB does either and if I were ever arrested I'd take your twins over JB to defend me.

Something I don't understand is this. If the defense has evidence like a gun or knife etc. and doesn't turn it over to the prosecution it's a criminal offense IIRC. So why wouldn't expert reports fall under the same category? :waitasec:

:silly:

I'd take the twins too :)

(Pokes head out of Tantrum Room)

Steely, not only do you have mad quoting skillz, but also you made me :giggle:. Thank you for that.

(Closes Tantrum Room door and resumes breaking crockery and shouting bad things about the defense.)

BBM - He should bring his laptop into the jail and show her a virtual tour of DR:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/vtour/index.html

Then make her read the daily routine of a DR inmate over and over until she gets it. Leave a copy for her to re-read when she returns to her cell. She will go insane sitting on DR and she won't live past her thirties if she gets the DP. There is a very good chance she will get the DP because there is a mountain of evidence against her and she is a very unlikeable person.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/index.html#Routine

She has to understand that in the real world there are consequences for her actions and the jury will not consist of Cindy, George, or Lee. She is not a celebrity nor will she be treated like one. She will be treated like the criminal she is and once she's locked up the public will rarely ever hear a word about her.

IMO

Maaaan, that looks sad, barren and exactly what she, IMO, deserves.
Being allowed tv, radio, magazines and cigs is beyond what should be allowed.
Do they still have the right to canteen?

true and he is making them beg for it pubically. I find that sweet.

Never can tell, they just may be.

BBM

Me too.....that's for sure. I'm sure they're saying simple sentences by now.

Or maybe he's getting Punk'ed

We need a few more emu members for that to happen, I spoke to the High Lord Mr. Emu Phillips.

They'll hang themselves sooner or later, just wait and watch. :)
IMO,OC

Nice. The late nights prepping for trial can really wreck havoc on people. I might have to consider jumping sides one day ... lol

Best move I ever made! But am still on friendly terms with old lawyers, in case fed.gov gets serious with these austerity cuts they are talking about.

Best move I ever made! But am still on friendly terms with old lawyers, in case fed.gov gets serious with these austerity cuts they are talking about.

Yeah it's already affected us out here. At least on the state Court level. Many of the southern California Courts are having furlough days and the Court Clerk filing windows are down. It hasn't affected the Federal District Courts, yet anyway.

Courtesy of AnnInOhio on IS:

Werner Spitz is unable to testify in an Ohio case because he managed -- somehow -- to perforate his bowel with a chicken bone.

http://www.wlwt.com/download/2011/0125/26613859.pdf

In re: Baez's big secret that he felt he had to *seal*: :floorlaugh:

So he's leaking poop.
Reminds me of the defense teams strategy :)
Prophetic if you think about it.

Get better soon Mr Spitz...

Werner Spitz is unable to testify in an Ohio case because he managed -- somehow -- to perforate his bowel with a chicken bone.

Actually if accurate JB would have to file such information under seal. That would include personal health related issues. If that's the case, it might be the first ethical JB has done in this case.

Although I'm not entirely sure that it's mandatory that he would file that information under seal.

I had a fish bone case like that once...

But according to this document he won't be available to testify in the Ohio case until late March. Hopefully he can have someone type up a report for him to sign in the CA case before then (based on the detailed recording of his observations that I am sure he made while performing his autopsy), and then perhaps he could do a Skype depo from his hospital bed? The trial is in May and HHJP has shown no inclination to delay it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member