2011.01.06 Baez Slapped with Formal Sanction

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually if accurate JB would have to file such information under seal. That would include personal health related issues. If that's the case, it might be the first ethical JB has done in this case.

Although I'm not entirely sure that it's mandatory that he would file that information under seal.

Hmm, ethical and educated. JB? (sorry just couldn't attach him to my first sentence)

Thank You Attorneys, I am really enjoying reading your professional insights of the legal system.

Novice Seeker

Ahhhhh, Thanks for clearing that up. I was wroooo....... wrrrrrrr...... um, mistaken.

But I still don't understand how an expert in one area can testify in another area.

Good question Numbers. All I can think of right now and you will have to excuse me. The defense was only able to have certain experts for certain expertise. What I believe that the defense maybe doing is doubling up experts and not listing them in their correct fields to have them get paid by JAC. jmo :confused:

O/T I'll make this quick before a mod smacks me upside the head for derailing this thread....

KC is young, white, a single mom, nice appearance. The jury will find it difficult to see evil wrapped in such a 'normal' package. By the time trial arrives the defense will have her looking like the sweet little girl next door and will portray her as a confused victim of the system, of her parents, and of a young pregnancy who 'lost' her baby under tragic, beyond her control circumstances.

Said affectionately and with respect -- we need to inspect the fluorocarbons in your paints -- turn in all labels for inspection by JoyPath asap!

I am speechless...

Okay, maybe not. I am actually trying to figure this out. My brain hurts. How in the HECK do you...no, no, nevermind, I do NOT want to know...

OMG, this is the MEANING of "You can't make this stuff up!" You just CAN'T! As if the case wasn't bizarre enough...

And now I have a medical question. So does he need a one of those donut things to sit on, or help with #2 or what would prevent him from writing a report or testifying? Couldn't he testify by satellite or something? And wouldn't that have to be a bad perforation if he can't testify until March?

Too bad that chicken bone thwarted Dr. Spitz! :floorlaugh:

I shouldn't be laughing because that has to hurt, but it's too funny!

No. He perforated his bowels which required an emergent surgical repair. The surgery is done through the abdomen. Depending on the severity, the surgeon may have left the wound open for infection reasons. But he's also at risk for becoming septic from the bowel leakage. When I read that he would be available in March I was somewhat surprised because this particular injury can take up to several months to recover from and that's if he doesn't develop any complications.

JB may be up s*** creek without a paddle with this expert.

Novice Seeker

Regarding the Dr Barry Logan who appears to be dodging Baez's phone calls - isn't he the director of the lab where Caylee's shorts and the laundry bag were sent for Touch DNA?

If this is his thing, he personally is only minimally involved with DNA. His field of expertise is Toxicology and blood alcohol and drug testing procedures, and lots to do with impaired driving. His CV only mentions DNA once, as a "Laboratory service."

So - how could he have Important Opinions regarding the DNA when he's a drunk driving expert himself?

Dr. Logan

Dr. Logan's CV

Yes, this is the same Logan that is with the NMS Lab that was to do the DNA testing.

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...g in Part Motion to Test For DNA Evidence.pdf

Here is his link from NMS: http://www.nmslab.com/about-leadership-logan/

No. He perforated his bowels which required an emergent surgical repair. The surgery is done through the abdomen. Depending on the severity, the surgeon may have left the wound open for infection reasons. But he's also at risk for becoming septic from the bowel leakage. When I read that he would be available in March I was somewhat surprised because this particular injury can take up to several months to recover from and that's if he doesn't develop any complications.

Novice Seeker

:silly: :floorlaugh:

Novice Seeker

With....... without........

I'm not seeing any difference.

D.r Spitz is not a young man, and surgery like this is bound to hit him harder. He may not be available to testify at the trial. Where does that leave the defense, do they get a continuation until they can find another Forensic Pathologist?

I can't wait to see the State's response to this motion for extension. :)
They will either not object....or they will. Then we get a popcorn event coming soon to computer monitors near you.
IMO this should be heard immediately!!

Also typing really, really fast and hoping that my post is blurry with speed and I can sneak in a response to Paint'r.

I agree with you, it won't be the DP or LWOP. For a lot of the reasons you state and despite all the evidence, my gut feeling is she will convicted of aggravated manslaughter, sentence of 20 to life, time served and eligible for parole. She will be a model prisoner and be out in 15 - 20 years.

D.r Spitz is not a young man, and surgery like this is bound to hit him harder. He may not be available to testify at the trial. Where does that leave the defense, do they get a continuation until they can find another Forensic Pathologist?

They'll just have to find one in Florida. Didn't HHJP say there were a lot of experts in the State of Florida? I hope he puts his foot down about that. I'm this close to thinking Baez had something to do with that chicken bone just to put the trial off more! :crazy:

What are the March 3 and 4th (I think) hearings for? The motions in liminie? TIA

It is for these:

2wc08z4.jpg

Please excuse the size ... :blushing:

Courtesy of AnnInOhio on IS:

Werner Spitz is unable to testify in an Ohio case because he managed -- somehow -- to perforate his bowel with a chicken bone.

http://www.wlwt.com/download/2011/0125/26613859.pdf

In re: Baez's big secret that he felt he had to *seal*: :floorlaugh:

BTW - this is the 3rd time this case has been tried here in the tri-state area.

Here is a little taste of attempt 2....... http://www.wlwt.com/r/19043779/detail.html
"Assistant Warren County Prosecutor Travis Vieux cross-examined Spitz, who admitted he had not spoken to any witnesses or examined any police reports when conducting his own investigation.Vieux and Spitz sparred over statements taken from various editions of the legendary pathologist's textbook, with the pathologist sometimes claiming he could not remember its contents when the prosecutor presented excerpts that appeared to contradict some of his testimony.Spitz said growing evidence suggests that otherwise healthy people can die from "sudden death syndrome," and he raised the possibility that Sarah Widmer might have suffered a seizure or some other problem that had not been diagnosed.He said that even a competently performed autopsy might not reveal information that would indicate what had caused her to drown, but Spitz said three bruises found underneath Sarah Widmer's scalp likely came from a single blow sustained on the curved edge of the bathtub."

JB -- I am up here in the area, want me to run over to the hospital and pick up the report and FedEx it and a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken to you? LMAO- rocb (Rolling on a chicken bone!)

Nope -- he is not a "spring chicken" as we say up here! :innocent:
spitz2009widmertrial.jpg

Good question Numbers. All I can think of right now and you will have to excuse me. The defense was only able to have certain experts for certain expertise. What I believe that the defense maybe doing is doubling up experts and not listing them in their correct fields to have them get paid by JAC. jmo :confused:

You may be right ... Jose certainly is juggling them around lately and part of that may be financial ... like the taphonomy one ... do we know if he will testify about "taphonomy" or some other area of expertise since JAC never approved the expert of taphonomy ? I suppose it's easy enough for Jose to keep switching which field of expertise his experts will testify in ... many have more than one area they are expert in ... so as long as Jose doesn't turn in what they'll be testifying to, he keeps the mystery going .... :waitasec:

why did I think it was his son who was going to be the expert witness?

For some reason I thought mr werner spitz retired.

You may be right ... Jose certainly is juggling them around lately and part of that may be financial ... like the taphonomy one ... do we know if he will testify about "taphonomy" or some other area of expertise since JAC never approved the expert of taphonomy ? I suppose it's easy enough for Jose to keep switching which field of expertise his experts will testify in ... many have more than one area they are expert in ... so as long as Jose doesn't turn in what they'll be testifying to, he keeps the mystery going .... :waitasec:

Yes but by keeping the mystery going he is just making it a trial of surprises and that isn't legal in Florida as he has been so told by CJPerry many many times. :maddening: So imo he still has nothing and more so ICA has nothing on appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste