2011.01.09 Front page Orlando Sentinel: Is Baez in over his head? *UNDER REVIEW*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cudos to Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel! :tyou: for putting in ink (locals, was it really on the front page?) what many have been posting and thinking for years.

Could the fact that this exposé (of sorts) is finally in a respected newspaper have any significant positive or negative effects on any legal issues in the case?

Yep! Right next to the article about the "Arizona Attack" on the front page, left column, above the fold! Niiiiice.

Nah, no worries Aedyrs! Every article needs a little comedic relief!:rocker:

LOL. You know what's really sad, though. If Baez reads this article, the only thing he's going to remember is "Hey, they think I can still pull a My Cousin Vinny and win! I can still win! It's possible! I AM COUSIN VINNY! Awesome!"

I just know that's what he's going to focus on the most to the exclusion of the rest of the article. He's got to think positive, you know? I have the feeling he may even go rent, no buy, that movie and watch it over and over and over in preparation for the trial, LOL.

Good article, but the only thing that made me frown was that some lawyers still think Baez is going to pull a My Cousin Vinny. Really? Seriously?

Baez couldn't pull a My Cousin Vinny if Joe Pesci was hired to play him in court with a good script. It really bothered me in that great article that some lawyers think Baez could still pull a miracle in court in May.

They must NOT have watched this case like some us for almost three years now. But yeah, other than that, the rest of the article makes him look like an incompetent boob, so I can live with it, LOL.

ETA: You know, I just thought about it, and I realized that some lawyers, I think, feel so bad for him that they're trying to be nice. Not bad as in sorry, but bad as in geez, this guy can't get worse, can he? Maybe that's why one said the My Cousin Vinny thing?

Wasn't Vinny's cousin factually innocent of the crime with which he was charged? (Been a while since I watched the movie.)

Not gonna happen here. Nope. Not gonna happen.

I'm not so sure about the 3 attorney's not going along with the story that Baez was/is still trying to sell the public.

Linda Kenny-Baden went on tv and said that Casey didn't do it a number of times.

Andrea Lyon said, "She didn't kill her kid".

Todd Macalucha said in open court, very loudly and proudly that they had proof that she didn't do it, that someone else did.

They all towed the party line when it was to their benefit, IMO.

I think the reason that they left was that Baez became increasingly more arragant and "out there" with each passing day, and it was just not something that could be ignored anymore, or, serve in their best interest.

They saw the writing on the wall ~ And it was done in color coded charts.

Totally agree. Not one of them has enough scruples to leave on the basis of principle. Money, or lack of it, that's what caused them to leave, plus they had received the publicity they needed for their own books etc and the periphreal benefits of representing ICA had expired..

Wasn't Vinny's cousin factually innocent of the crime with which he was charged?

Not gonna happen here. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Yep, you are totally right. Hey Baez! The only way My Cousin Vinny would work is Casey was actually INNOCENT! You are so TOAST!

From what I understand Baez cannot drop his client. Is he perhaps intentionally (on the advice of Mason) trying to get himself booted from the case at this point? His reputation is already clearly ruined though and anyone that can defend Baez and his abilities at this point must be visiting from another planet. JMO but perhaps this has all been planned from the start but it still leaves ICA sitting in jail for all this time. The poster on the Orlando site that said it was not the fault of the defense and that the State lacked evidence is mind boggling. That the State is prepared and has plenty of evidence is obvious to anyone who has followed this circus.

Again JMO

I think the article says it best... that perhaps Baez has some hubris that's not warranted

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hubris
World English Dictionary
hubris or hybris (ˈhjuːbrɪs)

— n
1. pride or arrogance
2. (in Greek tragedy) an excess of ambition, pride, etc, ultimately causing the transgressor's ruin

LOL. You know what's really sad, though. If Baez reads this article, the only thing he's going to remember is "Hey, they think I can still pull a My Cousin Vinny and win! I can still win! It's possible! I AM COUSIN VINNY! Awesome!"

I just know that's what he's going to focus on the most to the exclusion of the rest of the article. He's got to think positive, you know? I have the feeling he may even go rent, no buy, that movie and watch it over and over and over in preparation for the trial, LOL.
except Vinny's clients WERE innocent! not such luck for KC.:rocker:

Got to tell ya, what scares me is a case I read about a guy who fired his lawyers just before trial so many times that it was 13 years before he had to go to court.

and jail vs prison is a big difference. can the judge force mumbles to take the lead?

Got to tell ya, what scares me is a case I read about a guy who fired his lawyers just before trial so many times that it was 13 years before he had to go to court.

:eek: that is a scary thought!

BTW and OT your avvy is freakin me out, lol.

Somehow, in some way, Baez will definitely be affected by this article.

And I know all WSers following this case find it heart wrenching, frustrating, and :banghead: :furious:

Just once in a while - in the moment - it's :great: for me to be able to say -

Today We Eat Cake! :cupcake:

Somehow, in some way, Baez will definitely be affected by this article.

And I know all WSers following this case find it heart wrenching, frustrating, and :banghead: :furious:

Just once in a while - in the moment - it's :great: for me to be able to say -

Today We Eat Cake! :cupcake:

I'll have a cup of tea with mine Logicalgirl, what a grand way to start a Sunday morning in Southern California.

The tide is changing for Caylee!!!!!! In the end it will be SO many people, who never even knew that sweet precious baby, that won't let her down, she deserves this!

I was thinking the very same thing this morning after reading the article...is this all part of the defense strategy? You know they have absolutely nothing, so the obvious thing to do would be to delay, delay, delay. :maddening:

Good article, but the only thing that made me frown was that some lawyers still think Baez is going to pull a My Cousin Vinny. Really? Seriously?

Baez couldn't pull a My Cousin Vinny if Joe Pesci was hired to play him in court with a good script. It really bothered me in that great article that some lawyers think Baez could still pull a miracle in court in May.

They must NOT have watched this case like some us for almost three years now. But yeah, other than that, the rest of the article makes him look like an incompetent boob, so I can live with it, LOL.

ETA: You know, I just thought about it, and I realized that some lawyers, I think, feel so bad for him that they're trying to be nice. Not bad as in sorry, but bad as in geez, this guy can't get worse, can he? Maybe that's why one said the My Cousin Vinny thing?

Ha !! OK, I'd pay to see JB come to court dressed in a red tuxedo....

The letter from JS that is quoted: was that public before? I knew there was talk that JS had reported JB but I didn't know that his report was made public, or what it said?

I don't remember seeing it either. How did this reporter get the letter? I always assumed it was Baez that told Dom not to call LE if he found Caylee, but now we know for sure. I wonder if it was Baez that sent to Dom to Suburban Drive because I've never bought the "psychic" story.

From the article:

In March 2009, Circuit Judge Stan Strickland, who was then hearing the case, wrote a letter to The Florida Bar about ethical concerns he had about Baez.

The issue involved allegations that Baez directed investigator Dominic Casey to "walk away" if he found Caylee's lifeless body during a 2008 search — and then contact Baez rather than law enforcement.

Citing sworn statements by Dominic Casey, Strickland wrote, "If truthful, they are extremely troubling.

Great article.

I have often pondered if JB has some sort of mental "deficiency" and reading his reply that sounds like a bratty 8yr old girl really has me wondering. He isn't all there IMO. It sort of makes me feel bad for him, and I hate that lol.

He and his client are so eerily similar in the sense that they do not think before they speak and their minds never matured past the age of 12. I think I read yesterday from gitana that clients tend to flock towards attorneys with the same moral ethics. Talk about an understatement!

ETA: I wish we would have heard other attorneys opinions besides Bill Sheaffer (sp?). Not trying to be rude because I respect what they have to say, but I would like other choices besides him and Richard Hornsby.

Atty NeJame commented in this article and so did Legal-ethics scholar Bob Jarvis, the Nova professor, and the article indirectly takes opinions from "Many in Central Florida's criminal-defense community", and "other local attorneys", and "concerns raised by the attorneys and legal scholars watching this case", and "other attorneys interviewed for this article ", and "Defense lawyers and legal scholars familiar with the Casey Anthony case " ..... "There is a valid criticism — and it was certainly reflected by the court's ruling — by attorneys, the judges, law professors ..."

I have often pictured ICA taking it down to the wire with JB and then firing him, and CM as well, at the last minute. However, she has been declared indigent by the court, so she would just get a court appointed attorney then, wouldn't she? I don't think she would be able to drag it out too long by "firing" attorneys that the court is giving her free of charge. She might get away with it once, but surely not again and again. Unless she wants to pay for her counsel, of course. moo

Oh what a beautiful morning....woke up to see that headline!

Love this article! :takeabow::tyou::silly: to the OS!

Made me think of the old saying- if one person says you're a jackass- ignore him, if two people say it- think about it, if three people say it- just go buy yourself a saddle.......

Hee, haw, JB!

JMO as always

That's tooo funny, BUT.....Rut Roh !!! Now JB is gonna stand up and say someone on a blog called him a jackass....wahhhh !! :anguish:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member