2011.05.13 - Jury Selection DAY FIVE MORNING SESSION

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
some was asking about dogs - there will be dogs and their handlers re finding the smell of decomp in the testimony during the trial. Wants to know if they have any bias for or against.

PJ's brother was charged with armed robbery and was acquitted of the crime.

So Sims reaches over while KC is talking to AF and writes something on KCs yellow legal pad...KC ignores...Sims points to it again and KC reads....KC then picks up post it note and CAREFULLY covers what Sims wrote...

(For courtesy of those working!)

Brother was on trial and aquitted. Ok state probally doesnt like her.

When they went to sidebar....

KC was writing fast and furiously.......then apparently got writer's cramp.

I think she was making notes for the new cool Pinellas County Jail commissary.

commissaryorder.jpg

writerscramp.jpg

Brother acquitted of armed robbery any years ago when he was young, daughter on probation...I bet the ears perked up at the defense table

Saw the system working for her innocent brother who was acquitted of crime.

PJ's brother acquitted of armed robbery when he was very young. This helps to support why she has been inclined to believe that there may be more to the story and is not quick to assume KC is guilty.

I thought I heard JP say in the last few days that a 6-6 vote would also result in a recommendation of the DP.

Did anyone else hear that or was I dreaming?

I don't recall him saying that but if he did he was wrong, surprise, surprise!

Here is part of a recent article about a young man sentenced to death last month in Flagler Co. for double murder. Explains a bit about the dp decision.

snip
The jury voted 7 to 5 to recommend Gregory be executed. Had one more juror voted against death penalty the 6 to 6 tie would have been a life recommendation. And it's very unlikely a judge would have gone against the jury's recommendation.

About six years ago, the state Supreme Court asked the Legislature to give juries a greater role in death-penalty decisions by requiring, for example, a unanimous jury vote for a death recommendation. But lawmakers and prosecutors said they did not want the change.

One of the arguments opponents made was that one person should not be able to block the application of the death penalty, Batey said.

But one person can block a guilty verdict, Batey pointed out.

Batey quoted a document that said Florida is the only state that allows a jury to recommend a death sentence by a "mere majority vote."

"The bottom line is that if there is something wrong with the Florida statute (regarding death recommendations by jury) the U.S. Supreme Court is going to have to be the one to say it," Batey said

interesting article-more here

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...entence-starts-whirlwind-of-legal-action.html

The DT HAS to ask them DP questions. They need to know what these pj's thinking is on this issue. It may make them sound like they know she is guilty, but if they don't ask these questions, there are incompetent.
How else can they qualify a DP jury?

His Honor has already discussed the fact that these questions are not a presentation of facts in the case. If they are truly good jurors, they have to disregard all of this once the trial starts. jmo and all that jazz

That is pretty much what I'm thinking. You can tell I'm not a courtroom expert nor did I stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

PJ said that her children lived with her into their 30's, IIRC, (the daughter off and on). IDK, but that concerns me a little given the background of this case.

I think there's a little too much adding up that I would question with this juror. Her background is starting to seem problematic. Also I think her answers often seem to quick and too carefully neutral.

I wonder if there are any sort of "trick" questions that the state can use to ferret out stealth jurors.

She kind of favors Jerry Springer and I'm not saying that as an insult...I'm just stating the truth.

I was banned from the unnamed board for making a comment about her. It really upset me but knew I could come here and everyone plays fair.

She appears to be medicated....JMHO

I totally agree. I mentioned yesterday that I bet it's either Xanax or Ativan. I take Ativan for anxiety and her slow mannerisms, blank stares, etc. could be side effects of that. Much different than the first couple days where she was so fidgety, constantly playing with her hair, etc.

She appears to be medicated....JMHO
ITA

The past 2 days ICA seems very "calm" - as compared to the other days.

Me thinks Miss ICA has been introduced to "Zanny" the nanny. Probably a lil pill in the AM and another at lunch break!

PJ said that her children lived with her into their 30's, IIRC, (the daughter off and on). IDK, but that concerns me a little given the background of this case.

Have no fear - I lived at home with my parents til I was 26. However, I paid all my own bills, worked full time, and paid all the 'home bills' except the house payment as my rent. There's a whole lotta more of us raised to be responsible than non-responsible.

I like this potential juror, I hope she gets on. Her daughter could have just done something stupid like a fight or something to get the probation. Most nurses I know are pretty even handed, think of what they have to listen to from patients all day.

Why the dog question and why the breed of dog question?

My guess is since cadaver dog evidence will be part of this trial, she is trying to show that dogs are smart and can be trained . Question about the breed, may be to see if the breed was a german sheppard, since that is the type commonly used by law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout