2011.05.17 Jury Selection DAY EIGHT (Morning Edition)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The african american juror 1319 that the Judge denied preemptive strike, LDB is arguing something they must have on her to have her excused.

She's bringing up the areas where the woman said she did not feel comfortable judging others.

LDB is pointing out conflicts in the answers of the juror. She is explaining why they did not attempt to challenge for cause before exercising the peremptory strike.

Is that a necklace LDB is wearing?? I'd like to get a better look. I just want to morph myself into being an LDB. Weird I know. I can hear parts of what she is saying, but not much.

ICA has a right to a fair trial...so do the citizens of Florida. Being forced to accept a juror who is against the DP is not fair. Has nothing to do with race. Nothing.

Can't hear a dang thing on CNN. Why won't LDB go to the podium - afraid of germs maybe, lol?

Question?? If the State would drop the death penalty, would finding a jury be easier than what we have now

It would still be hard because of all of the pretrial publicity however from what I understand in some ways it would be easier because the jury wouldn't also have to be death qualified so the process of selection would go a little faster without all of the death qualification questioning.

LDB pointing out the other juror in similar situation that the DT objected to and CJBP allowed them to be struck.

LDB citing case law - says that a juror that indicates she can't sit in judgment of another is sufficient to dismiss for cause and is a race-neutral reason

State still trying to get the older AA woman who does not like/want to judge people due to her religious beliefs off the jury..
I totally agree...I feel the DT and JBP are being very very insensitive to her..

This woman may have a breakdown if Forced to be on this jury panel and have to hear and endure the evidence when it is presented...
OR
Because she is forced to sit in judgment...she may judge very harshly once she hears and sees the evidence about the death of a 2.5 yr old child.
:twocents:

O/T -- the buffering and timing out is driving me batty lol. Anyone have a fix or is it the site I'm using? I'm on clickorlando TIA

I'm watching on wesh.com with no apparent problems for me this morning!

Is she allowed to try to strike for cause after a preemptive strike was denied?

LDB citing cases that say that a jurors inability to sit in judgement of another is reason to strike for cause, and is not a race issue. It is a race neutral issue, and she is concerned about this jurors ability to sit in judgement during penalty phase.

Saying you are uncomfortable judging someone indicates to me indecisiveness. It spells trouble come verdict time. Hung-jury in waiting......

After reading back the transcript, LDB is saying it has nothing to do with race. It is because she says she cannot judge others. She also says, she fears this woman would hang the jury.

LDB: all indicated that a jurors inability to sit in judgement is a reason for cause and a reason for challenging. the case most on point is one for court of appeal. the defense attempted to challenge a minority juror that indicated they would not sit in judgement of another....there is questions about challenges for cause. we have concerns about jurors being able to sit in...our concern is that if this juror will decide she just does not want to judge miss anthonys guilt or innocence...then she hangs this jury.

LDB: THEY ARE SO GOOD! THEY caught them!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79