2011.05.17 Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Eight)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the young man that had a birthday cruise over 4th of July get the boot? How bout the women with the London trip planned in July?

Im concerned that there are 2 jurors with costly trips planned that the judge is saying the trial will be over, but there is no guarentee that it will be, especially now that the jury selection is taking longer than HHJP planned for as well.

Can the judge let a sequester jury take a break during a trial? Such as give them a week to go home and then come back mid trial?

I'm not worried about her "getting off", I'm worried that they may not make it through the trial at this point............Sure she will eventually be found guilty, but IMO, this is not the smooth start a sucessful trial needs.

I think the entire process of the Judge Plan was an error and he did it because he wanted the trial to start on time. Knowing full well after the first day that was not going to happen. He should have slowed down right then and there!

Good Lord...where are they coming from? I thought the homeless shelter was in the next room?

NO - they checked and no one from the shelter was qualified to serve as a juror. So none were brought over.

From the morning thread, day eight:

I tend to agree. I'm not seeing equal fairness especially with the peremptory challenges. Why was the DT allowed a challenge to SA's peremptory re: the woman who can't judge people "because DT believed SA wanted to challenge because she's of African descent" but yet when the SA says DT wants to strike another "because she's female, and protected", he sides with the DT.

Something is very wrong. Why side with the DT when they're the ones who've been stalling this process for soooooooo long and don't do what they're supposed to do on time?

I'm very concerned.

It is really starting to concern me as well..The State has supplied case law and still...how dare jb go with the race card than when the State applies it he quivers....I get why they don't want females but she AINT THAT PRETTY iykwim---I'm going nuts here.....seems like HHJP should just go pick the jury himself....this show is a traveling circus --- complete with clowns....:banghead:

As a long-time lurker allow me to finally attempt to thank you all for your knowledge, wit and logic. All commenters here have become "friends" in my small world.

In 2008 my husband who relied on me to keep him updated with news (mostly political) never seemed to show any true interest in what I thought were my "brilliant" analyses. However, in the summer of 2008 after recently moving to Volusia County in Florida (slightly east of Orange) he developed an truly uncharateristic obsession with this case.

In November, I had to have him admitted to the hospital with an unknown illness. After 41 years of marriage I know now I was in denial about how sick he really was. Soon after being moved to ICU, I lost my husband of 41 years. Lived in a fog for quite a while after this. It was much later that my daughter reminded me that the day he died was the same day Caylee's remains were discovered. She is convinced that it was due to my husband's intervention.

For me at that time this WS site became my couseling group and in many ways kept me moving on. For that, I have to thank each and everyone of you.

Thanks again and I do believe justice will be served.

Welcome flgrandma. Your story is so very touching. And I do believe that your husband may have intervened. IMO, stranger things have happened!

Again, welcome.

Someone in the jury/court thread said that they have something like 31 left but only 6 have been called for this afternoon.

They originally whittled from 199 to 67. I think we have gone through more that 35 to get to these 11.

What happens if they can't get 12? Do they just dismiss all of them and go try somewhere else?

Guess that's a question for the attorney thread.

This is beginning to become aggravating. JB is going to keep this count at 11 until he has used all his strikes. You watch. And, I think HHJP has realized that as well and he is no happy camper about it.

JB struck #1251 - he could have done that this morning but did he? Nope, because they got down to 11 - JB's magic number.

Aggravating and frustrating
Sorry to be contrary, but I think HHJP should have known this was going to happen and he has no business getting upset about it. IMO, this jury selection has been hokey from the get go and he was too anxious to seat the jury in a quick amount of time. He kept stating that he would not be held up, that he would do what it takes to keep it going quickly, but he has backed off on pressuring to get it done. He can't pressure the DT, it would all come out as unfair to the defendant. So, why make idle threats? He never should have said that he would have a jury seated in a week and he knows it.
They could have called more potential jurors to come in, he could have made the questioning go quicker, he has let it ramble on to no end.
I am getting extremely frustrated with him and I hope he can get this trial under control. jmo

Did the State use backstrike for juror that said she couldn't judge anyone? Is that # 1319? or has/can HJBP denied strike?

They already used a peremptory, it was objected to and the objection sustained. They cannot now use another peremptory to backstrike her. As I have said, she was the first juror we know is on the jury for sure, barring a miracle.

As a long-time lurker allow me to finally attempt to thank you all for your knowledge, wit and logic. All commenters here have become "friends" in my small world.

In 2008 my husband who relied on me to keep him updated with news (mostly political) never seemed to show any true interest in what I thought were my "brilliant" analyses. However, in the summer of 2008 after recently moving to Volusia County in Florida (slightly east of Orange) he developed an truly uncharateristic obsession with this case.

In November, I had to have him admitted to the hospital with an unknown illness. After 41 years of marriage I know now I was in denial about how sick he really was. Soon after being moved to ICU, I lost my husband of 41 years. Lived in a fog for quite a while after this. It was much later that my daughter reminded me that the day he died was the same day Caylee's remains were discovered. She is convinced that it was due to my husband's intervention.

For me at that time this WS site became my couseling group and in many ways kept me moving on. For that, I have to thank each and everyone of you.

WELCOME TO THE POSTING WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless you and your husband. My deepest sympathies go out to you. You tell your husband to meet up with my Pop up there and they can both
take care of Caylee, give her hugs and kisses and make her laugh!

And another thing, JP spoke of pt's geting antsy.......well, who scheduled this am? Sure they are getting pi$$y, look how long they have been there, first they sat all day (s), now this am they were supposed to have a break and be in later and then they started calling them in early.........I would be getting a little miffed too.

I'm not a judge nor do I profess to be a judge so I can't make any comments on how I think Judge Perry is handling this. I have to assume that he knows more about Florida law than any of us do on this board; therefore, I trust in what he does and what he says.

~jmo~

How about intuition? I try to use it but what I get is this: either things are going to go way to ICA side...or way to NOT her side.

Like the energy that surrounds this case is: all or nothing. And, before it is over-at any given time it has to seem like it is all for one side or the other.

My other intuition is that HHJP reports to someone higher than him. For the State, this is impersonal but has to be important. An important case. I know that kind of goes without saying but...

I feel like "the powers that be" know what ICA (is) and they must give her as much leeway as possible because...

they ARE going to give her the DP.

But. I don't know. I don't know why I can't just sit back and let it happen? I have no control over this...I really don't think anyone has true control over this...it is weird to be a part of this...

sorry for babbling, have to get it out on the sidebar. Yesterday I could not leave quick enough, signed off all day. Today I keep coming back...maybe hoping they get the 12. The judge warned them there are not enough pot jurors left for them to be getting rid of anyone else but that it was probable that of the six left, one or more would have to be excused for cause. Does that mean back to Orlando? TIA.

:sigh:

I don't like juror 1391 AT ALL. I don't believe her that she can't judge anyone--everyone makes judgments about people all day long whether they realize it or not. I don't believe her religion is a factor--not that I'm saying her religion doesn't preclude her from judging others (that's pretty much a tenet of every religion I'm aware of) I just don't believe her answers. My gut is she wanted on this jury for her own reasons which we'll figure out when all is said and done & I have very good gut instincts. Hate to say it, but me thinks she's the holdout juror. Waste, huge waste.

I may be alone in my thinking... but I am not bummed out so far... I think they can get er done this week... with the 31 left..

((I tend to be the queen of positive thinking.. drives my dh nuts.. but it is what it is LOL))

Off topic a bit, but it appears that ICA is always very aware that she is on camera. Especially when she left for lunch today as she walked out. She was walking the same way she was when Belich asked her why she was strutting that one day. She doesn't always walk in that manner. Very curious to me is all.

I have been kinda outa it this morning but from what I am reading ICA seems confident today, I wonder if her DT has given her some hope about not getting the Jury that we need.

It is really starting to concern me as well..The State has supplied case law and still...how dare jb go with the race card than when the State applies it he quivers....I get why they don't want females but she AINT THAT PRETTY iykwim---I'm going nuts here.....seems like HHJP should just go pick the jury himself....this show is a traveling circus --- complete with clowns....:banghead:

What I don't understand is that the strikes by either side cannot be due to race BUT the opposite side can object to the strike and use the race card as their reason to object? Grrrrr
JMO

I am so sorry for your loss

I admit I got a huge lump in my throat for you.. After losing my dad my mom had a stroke right afterwards they were married 58 yrs.. you have my heart and prayers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99