2011.05.17 Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Eight)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

Any idea what the holiday schedule will entail during Memorial Day weekend? Is he going to allow the jury to return home?

bbm.. and just my opinion.. but no way will he break sequestration for memorial day.. maybe an extra day off alone in the hotel with supervised visits..

moo

SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

Any idea what the holiday schedule will entail during Memorial Day weekend? Is he going to allow the jury to return home?

I don't know the answer, however, IIRC, the jury in the OJ Simpson (murder) trial remained sequestered during holidays. I would imagine the same would apply in this case otherwise what is the point to sequester them in the first place? :twocents:

I don't know what took place with that last woman interviewed today, but, from what I remember, Casey was writing little notes like she was on a mission, and shoving them over to Ann F, and I think she even tugged on her sleeve to get her attention.

There was something about this woman that Casey did not like, that's for sure.

I sure hope tomorrow brings an end to this chapter so that the jury can get moved and tucked in at Orlando, and be up for things bright and early Monday morning.
And, may the Lord, or whoever they believe in or pray to, be with them all and hold and support them.

I didn't see all of that, but I DID see the expressions on KCs face and I agree with you that she did NOT like this woman at all...

And the DT axed her...

And JB didn't seem at all pleased about doing it. But, of course, everyone acquiesces to the princess. She's the one running this show - and quite a show it is.

I don't know the answer, however, IIRC, the jury in the OJ Simpson (murder) trial remained sequestered during holidays. I would imagine the same would apply in this case otherwise what is the point to sequester them in the first place? :twocents:

Glad to hear that....didn't want HHJP to create even the tiniest hole for Jose to slip into in getting any jurors removed...

Yes, I agree, or could be that discovery is finally coming out soon...Cindy always created a diversion at that time in the past.

Agree totally ....and let's not forget George's ability to grabbed the media attention with his ( pizza and six pack of beer hotel ) suicide attempt once they were informed by people in the know that it was going to be released that Caylee's body was put into black garbage bags and thrown away like trash.

Makes one very curious about what they are so afraid of people finding out....JMO

I have a big question. When attorneys are asking personal questions of the jurors are they required to answer. I can see asking about their personal beliefs re crimes and innocent or guilty, DP or LWOP. I hate that they ask all the other questions, how many children, ages, books they read, hobbies. After giving all that info and if the defendant is found guilty I would hate to be out in the Anthonys world and be afraid of retaliation.

Hate to say this, but I know more about these people than I did our president when elected.

And JB didn't seem at all pleased about doing it. But, of course, everyone acquiesces to the princess. She's the one running this show - and quite a show it is.

Maybe.....just maybe....the defense team has:banghead::maddening::banghead:so many times while dealing with KC that THEY are now bowing to her every command and direction (without attempting to "advise" her differently) because THEY are now concerned about creating "ineffective counsel issues" and want to make sure WHEN she is convicted....she STAYS convicted!!!

Yes, that was with the last woman of the day.

He asked her why she wanted to serve on the jury, and she said that she wanted to know "who did it".
He asked her repeat her answer, which she did, and he came back with, well, it could have been an accident.

This was also about the time that Casey went pen happy scribbling and underlining her notes and shoving them over to Ann F, as well as tapping her arm to get her attention.

I feel bad for this woman that the judge let her go home, when she might just as well as have stayed the additional 10 minutes that the rest of them had to for their little rush conferance.
Now, she gets to get up in the morning, come back in again, and then be turned away.
I would be so angry if I were her, and esp if she takes the time to look for the video of this once she is dismissed.

I do wonder if anyone in her family will tell her tonight since she is gone anyway.

I'm pretty sure that as she was leaving the judge instructed someone to tell her she could go home and she would be receiving a telephone call this evening as to whether or not to come back tomorrow.

Glad to hear that....didn't want HHJP to create even the tiniest hole for Jose to slip into in getting any jurors removed...

With the time and expense of jury selection, sequestering them in a hotel, etc. I am just not foreseeing any one of those jurors having the opportunity to do or be contacted by someone which could cause their dismissal. :)

snipped...
I feel bad for this woman that the judge let her go home, when she might just as well as have stayed the additional 10 minutes that the rest of them had to for their little rush conferance.
Now, she gets to get up in the morning, come back in again, and then be turned away.
I would be so angry if I were her, and esp if she takes the time to look for the video of this once she is dismissed.

I do wonder if anyone in her family will tell her tonight since she is gone anyway.

I heard the Judge tell her someone will call her tonight.

edited - oops should have read one more post - oh well, I'll leave the post just in case someone missed that one! (o:

With the time and expense of jury selection, sequestering them in a hotel, etc. I am just not foreseeing any one of those jurors having the opportunity to do or be contacted by someone which could cause their dismissal. :)
I think that this is the main reason that the judge is so eager to swear them in...He wants to get them sequestered asap so that there is the least amount of possible "contamination" possible.

moo

I think that this is the main reason that the judge is so eager to swear them in...He wants to get them sequestered asap so that there is the least amount of possible "contamination" possible.

moo
and this makes complete sense.. I don't think either side can see that far ahead at this point..

each night these people go home and come back again they are put at risk for being tainted...MOO..

It's been a long day waiting for Caylee's justice!

For Caylee.... May tomorrow bring all our prayer's to you...angel child.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TInLOJuUM&feature=related[/ame]

and this makes complete sense.. I don't think either side can see that far ahead at this point..

each night these people go home and come back again they are put at risk for being tainted...MOO..
HHJP has been very worried about this since last week. IIRC he even used the word dangerous. Its not only the tainting but there are some crazy people out there and if anyone finds out who even one of these jurors is - well they could be in danger.

With some of these juoros being somewhat elderly it concerns me greatly the longer this drags out.

If I was one of these jurors - I would gladly go to the courthouse and sit everyday - at least I'd know I was safe.

Judge Perry said they will be questioning 4 more tomorrow morning. Does anyone know just how many more potentials are left? Tomorrow will be the tenth day they have been up in Clearwater and I'm sure the Caylee news is a very hot topic there, just more time for people to get too informed about the case.

moo

I agree. And as each day of jury selection passes, the greater chance potential jurors will know more about the case due to the media coverage. MOO

I'm trying to figure out why I thought the alternates could not be struck and now JP is saying they can be struck.
Does he mean that if either side does not use up all of their strikes then they are allowed to use them on the alternates?

They will be given s new set of preemptive strikes for the alternates, but not ten. [ I don't know how many]

Its gonna be hard to find people that have not heard about this case. This day and time with Technology. This case was even featured on the front cover of newspapers and magazines. Maybe they should have drawn a Jury from the West Coast.

Nope - Not gonna happen over here, lol.:seeya: I and a co-worker have followed this case since day 31...and we talk about it with EVERYONE, constantly.

My DH, who doesn't read here/watch NG, etc. knows more about Caylee Marie than some of these jurors who live in FLA.

I also agree - and hopefully more than six. This is going to be a long trial, and in a DP case, there must be 12 jurors. There could be any number of reasons to have to excuse jurors during the trial, and what a total nightmare it would be if it's almost over and there aren't 12 left. It makes me curious what the status would be now if the SA hadn't decided to seek the DP, considering in FL only 6 jurors are required on non-capital cases. :waitasec:
Praying for HHJBP to find as many alternates as possible!
MOO

I do not believe that Casey will receive the DP, although she probably deserves it. However, I am glad they put the bar that high because it gives them more wriggle room. If the highest penalty was LIFE, then she would likely receive a little less. This way they aim for DP, but jury may settle for LWOP and feel that was merciful.

I agree that they need a lot of alternates. In a high profile case like this you can lose 2 or 3 jurors in one fell swoop if a family member taints one of them on a Sunday visit by telling them something sensitive, and then they pass it on.

I think that they will need a minimum of six alternates as well. Why take the risk with less? Does anyone who followed the SP case remember how many of the seated jurors were let go and replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member