2011.05.19 Jury Selection DAY TEN (Afternoon Session)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading all of this wrong but how can anyone unless retired or independently wealth go at least 6-8 weeks without compensation? I work each day and it's a financial hardship just putting gas in my car.
Does that not limit the jury pool to some extent plus place a bias on who serves? I've been called but the cases always ended after one day. WHEW

Savings acquired over the years. You don't have to be independently wealthy to have a substantial savings to live on for 2 months.

Am I reading all of this wrong but how can anyone unless retired or independently wealth go at least 6-8 weeks without compensation?
I work each day and it's a financial hardship just putting gas in my car.
Does that not limit the jury pool to some extent plus place a bias on who serves? I've been called but the cases always ended after one day. WHEW
Salaried employees. Savings account, dipping into vacation fund...

:giggle:

Poor Judge Perry.... He really did put the cart before the horse on that one. He forgot to ask about DP, and general voir dire. Mr. George reminded him.

It has been a lonnnggg two weeks. poor man.

Salaried employees.

I get annual leave as well as sick leave. I'd probably have to use those if I had jury duty so I would still get paid. There might even be a rule for jury duty. I work for the State of OK, so there probably is.

Originally Posted by LolaMoon08
This is why this case has affected me the way it has. I am scared that Caylee has no one to give a victim impact statement for her. It is the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Maybe Lee will testify for the state and he will give Caylee's impact statement. I'm sure Caylee must have loved her Uncle Lee

I would be shocked if Lee spoke for Caylee. CMA CMA CMA

They are a family united (in covering for her killer).

IMO

Am I reading all of this wrong but how can anyone unless retired or independently wealth go at least 6-8 weeks without compensation?

I know what you mean. I served for over seven weeks on a Capital trial but I was fortunate in that I was fully compensated.

Most people cannot, that is why they have initially questioned nearly 200 people. I think that number is correct, don't quote me on it though.

OT:
I am paid from work for jury duty. I was out for a week once so it was a nice little break with an interesting case.

IMO

Yep, that is exactly what went through my mind when I read that Lee may give a victim impact statement............I don't think that any of the Anthonys will give one for Caylee.

IMO

I'm thinking CA & GA will pretend to speak for Caylee and say that she would not want her mom to get the DP.

KC just tried to whisper to AF. AF cringed away. KC tried again. AF leaned forward but didn't reply - seems to have a red face, disapproving look. I agree, KC shows disrespect to HHJP and the process when whispering to ppl while he's talking/giving instruction.

God love him....weighing, balancing, carting, horsing, God love him.

HHJP: 51/49 burden. How much weight you give to them. It is not a counting process. It is a weighing process. You understand?

I think so.

HHJP: you will get written instructions. I will read them to you and give you a copy. Among the mit circumstances would be the age of the defendant another one may be the existence of any factors in the defendants background or the circumstances of the defense that would mitigate against finding her guilty. Those are general standard examples. The sentence you recommend to the court must be based on the facts. If after weighing you find the mit do not outweigh the agg or in the absense of mit factors that the agg alone are sufficent you may recommend that death be imposed rather than LWOP. Regardless of your findings in this respect however you are not compelled to recommend a sentence of death. however if the mit out weigh the agg or in the absense of mit factors that the agg alone are not sufficent you must recommend LWOP rather than a sentence of death. Not a mechanical process. different factors may be given different weight by different jurors. you are to decide what weight is to be given to a certain factor. if you find those mit and agg factors have been proven, it is your job to weigh them. Great weight little weight. Do you understand that?

yes

HHJP: instructions will be more complete.

I don't know if it's permissable but could JA give the victim impact statement? Coming from the point of view that she has no one to stick up for her? I think he would be AMAZING but I'm sure that's somehow not appropriate or allowed.

Hi...Answering the question how someone could be on this jury without hardship. =-) Stay home mom, husband is wage earner and teenage kids who could do without Mom. A pain but not a hardship.

Teresa

The company my husband works for pays while you're out on jury duty. Then there are also people that are on Social Security (for age or disability) or a married couple where one doesn't work... Lots of different ways it's not a hardship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3