2011.06.04 TRIAL Day Ten (Morning Session ONLY)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
a least ten items had ten or more hairs.

JA: any of the hairs that were examined did you find any that had apparent decomp

one hair

JA: which of your numbers was it Q12

JA: is this the item?

it is

JA: what did you find?

the hair in Q12 was caucasion that had the characteristics of post mortum banding.

JA: did you examine that in the manner you described?

micro scope and comparasion scope

JA: three dee?

yes

JA: color

light to medium brown...nine inches long.

JA: any other hairs have the post mortum banding or changes?

no

JA: any other of those hairs in sample can you conclude they were from the same person

I was looking for decomp and then compared from a hair from Caylee

JA: compare Caylee and Casey

the hair in Q12 was microscop dissimilar as one belonging to Casey...the hair brush was similar...due to a known sample...

JA: compare to Cindy Anthony?

only Casey

JA: it was nine inches?

yes

JA: do you have an opinion about the hair found in states exhibit shows apparent deomp?

it has the banding similar to the root in the poster and this is characteristic of human decomp

JA: ?

it has not been shown to be found under other circumstances

I preserved the portions that showed the darkened portions and sent some out for additional analysis

that was mounted on another slide and kept for analysis

I don't know either. Maybe every hair doesn't doesn't show the death band due to "whatever" circumstances? :waitasec:

Maybe the hair still has to be attached to a body?

I hope the jury caught this...it occurs 2-15 days after death....I think it needs to be restated to make sure this is clear to the jury...

Me too. Without some sort of summary, I'm not sure the jurors will connect the dots with all the scientific evidence given today. I hope the SA can review and point this out!

Witness looking at evidence inside sealed envelope. It is the hair that showed signs of root banding.
by cfnews13casey via twitter at 9:57 AM

Wow, I missed it before but the hair in the trunk had a death band, and the hair taken from the duct tape did not, ergo... The tape was placed on a live Caylee!! This also goes to prove murder, not accident!!! There is no way a little girl falls in the pool so you take her out when she is alive and put duct tape over her mouth and nose to make her feel better... This is also likely the instrument of death. Ouch, no wonder they don't want this witness to testify!!

bumping this and bolded by me

Sorry if I missed this, I have been watching, but are George and Cindy there today? I haven't seen a shot of them.

it is my understanding yes, as a tweet was posted that they are in attendance today..

bobkealing bob kealing
#caseyanthonytrial Some of the first physical evidence of a decompositional event in Casey's car connected to Caylee.

no no, the tape pulled the hair out, when it fell out SHE WAS ALIVE - she was alive when the tape went ON

the hair in the trunk had the death band - it fell out (of the bag or her head) after she had died with the tape on...

Thank you for clarifying. :)

Direct exam of FBI analyst Karen Lowe by JA - continued

Top of poster - hair in 2 growth stages. Andigen active growth phase. Top of poster shows two hairs - one forceably removed and one naturally shed.

Only hairs showing decomp are in the Andigen phase where karatin is still soft.

Determination of artifacts of characteristics is visual. Some of the articles mention location of banding, but it is not a standard.

Her exam of hair is looked at in 3 dimensions. She can increase magnification and focus to see characteristics better.

Training to recognize post mort root banding - in 13 years of case work she has worked over 2000 cases, not all decomp. Doesn't want to guess how many cases.

She has frequently seen post mort banding in the cases she has worked.

She found post mortim banding in this case.

She was shown Exhibit 87. She examined this in this case. She also examined Exhibit 89, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100.

She was also given samples from known individuals in this case. State's Exhibit 103, 104, (sample from CA), (sample from GA). She was also given a hairbrush and comb. She found sample on the brush - Exhibit 105.

Her exam found human hairs. In the unknown exhibits, she found at least 11 hairs. One hair had characteristics of decomposition. It was Q-12. Exhibit 99.

This hair was a caucasion head hair with a post mortim root band. She examined with a stereo and comparison microscope, looking at it in 3 dimensions. Hair was light to medium brown, 9 inches long. None of the hairs had post mortim changes. She did not compare the hairs to each other.

Q-12 hair was dissimilar to ICA. It was similar to hair in the hairbrush from Caylee, but there was only one hair in the brush. Not compared to CA's hair.

It is her opinion that the hair in Exhibit 99 has a darkened band at the root portion of the hair which is consistent with apparent decomposition.

A portion of the hair with sent for midocondrial analysis. She retained the darkened root band and preserved it on a slide.

Exhibit 106 is the hair sample portion sent for midocondrial analysis.

JA - no further questions.

I do think Lowe said that not all hairs on a dead body will have the band - depending on the stage of growth the hair is in. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is important.

I don't know either. Maybe every hair doesn't doesn't show the death band due to "whatever" circumstances? :waitasec:

That's it in a nutshell...NOT every HAIR is at the same growth stage. PS: the tape hair MIGHT have come from a living Caylee and that MIGHT is strong depending on the growth stage it was in (missed her actual testimony)

Apparent decomp=came from dead body.

by Jessica Steck/WESH.com at 6:58 AM

JB is going to run with that. 'apparent decomposition'. try to make junk science out of it.

JA is asking Ms. Lowe to open a package and take a look inside. She does recognize her lab markings and initials. She says there are two tubes in a clear plastic box.

HHJP: what says the defense

JB: no objections

HHJP: received in evidence states numbered...

JA: ask you to explain some terminology "apparent?"

because we can't say that the only reason we might see this charactoristis...is decomp and we use apparent to be more conservative.

Something weird going on yesterday LDB said this testimony maybe 4 hours.

i do think lowe said that not all hairs on a dead body will have the band - depending on the stage of growth the hair is in. Correct me if i'm wrong. This is important.

correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member