2011.06.06 Sidebar (Trial Day Eleven)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LKB is a poser imo..everytime she speaks on something..it comes off like, she's the leading authority. Yes, she's married to a famous ME, we get it LKB..we get it. I'm just saying..pick one thing and stick with it..now she;s talking about how the jury won't like what Dr. Vass is saying......

Dr. Vass is better equipped this time to handle questions from JB that don't make any sense. Clearly, JB has not listened or learned much from Dr. Vass.

I'll bet a lot of students would love to have Dr. Vass as their professor. I know I would!

IMO methinks the DT is .....

TOAST! No Butter!

toast.jpg

This is the information about the tire well scrapings Dr. Vass mentioned in testimony today..

aceticacidandchloroform.jpg

JA: "What is the one environmental, if there is one, what is the most important environmental factor in the time that that process takes? Whether it's faster or slower?"
Dr. Vass: "There are 4 processes that are important in the rate of decomposition. Temperature is the most important. The 2nd is the presence of water, the water can come from the environment, it can come from inside the body...humidity, things of that nature. The 3rd is pH, pH is essentially a measure of whether something is acidic or basic there is a pH scale which runs from essentially 0-14, 7 being neutral. Above 7, it's alkaline or basic. Below 7, it's acidic. Surface or aerobic decomposition, that's decomposition in an oxygen type of environment like if the body is just lying on the surface, typically is very alkaline, high pH. Burials or anaerobic type of decompositional events tend to be very acidic. Like a burial situation or if you're wrapped in something that you can't have a lot of oxygen exchange. And the 4th major component is the presence of oxygen. Again, aerobic is much more rapid than anaerobic which is lack of oxygen. So those 4 major parameters affect the rate and completeness of the decompositional process. Temperature, being most important."
JA: "In that respect, would higher temperature accelerate decomposition?"
Dr. Vass: "That is correct."
JA: "Lower temperature might make is slower..."
Dr. Vass: "That is correct."

As to the chloroform levels found in the trunk of the car...I need more information. I now know that chloroform is a byproduct of decomposition, and that the levels of chloroform found in the trunk of the vehicle were much much higher than one would find in decomposition. What I do not know, is what chemicals, when combined, might produce these levels of chloroform. In other words, would gasoline and pool chemicals combine to form high levels of chloroform? What chemicals are used in the manufacture of chloroform, and could 2 chemicals, accidentally combined, produce chloroform in the levels Dr. Vass noted?

(Don't kill me guys...I'm just a mock juror.) ;)

In what way? She is far from an expert in his field... More than that I will keep to myself.

Yeah, she was comparing hospital setting/drug research to what Vass does at Oakridge. I don't see that as a good comparison, but that's just me.

Anyone know if ICA's court clothes are her own or if they're from the county 'wardrobe room'? She's always fidgeting and adjusting some piece of clothing.

I'm suspecting that mom and Dad aren't the ones bringing her clothes each day anymore.

I thought that the Defence was going to argue that someone else placed the body in KC's car but they seem hell-bent on trying to completely deny that a body was ever in the car! With half a dozen people smelling it, the hair sample, the air sample, the carpet sample, etc...How can they continue to try to do this? We still haven't gotten to any of the results from the soil sample in the car, the paper towel (grave wax and maggots), the backyard...All before even considerating the duct tape!

yegads.

moo

I don't get it either. It's thoroughly maddening. It seems to me that what we're seeing is the combination of two defense strategies -- one formulated before Baez abandoned the ZFG kidnapping defense and one after the new and improved ICA fantasy about the accident. That would explain the obvious problems with all of his logically inconsistent approaches.

Dr. G, computer expert, bug expert all coming up. JA, RA, JG, GA, CA, etc. This will be the best week imo.
I think Dr. G's testimony will be just as compelling as Dr. Vass'. I can't wait to hear what she has to say.

I think the home depot video will be shown soon......can't wait!!

Hi everyone...thought I would join you at the sidebar...

My daughter and I have been glued to the TV watching Dr Vass testify this morning...
She and a friend (both want to go into forensic science) have been texting back and forth at how truly awesome he is and they love the way he speaks...

Neither one of them have seen Baez in action before and what they have witnessed this morning from him..well...does not impress them at all....

From Personal Knowledge: A Degree, even a bachelor's, From the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Forensic Science Program results in a dual degree that includes CHEMISTRY or BIOLOGY as a candidate's area of concentration. So, if Dr Vass got a graduate degree in Forensic Science from VCU, one can assume that the requirements are even more specific for the Master's as opposed to the Bachelor's. Each candidate can have his/her specialty be in either Chemistry or Biology. The end result is that the student or degree candidate, at VCU in Forensic Science, has all the credits necessary for a stand alone degree in his/her chosen science concentration (Chemistry or Biology) as well as a degree in Forensic Science. And, the degree candidate can choose to extend their learning by taking more classes in order to have a concentration in both Biology and Chemistry. Essentially a student graduating, even with only a Bachelor's in Forensic Science will have the equivalent of at least two bachelor's degrees...one in Forensic Science and one in either Biology or Chemistry.

Hope that makes sense. And, IIRC, Dr Vass got a graduate degree as opposed to his Bachelor's in Forensic Science from VCU.

I'm back to wondering about the pesticide being used in the trunk to kill the smell and bugs. Dr. Vass' testimony about a byproduct of chloroform could be from that, no?

Strach, I don't think we ever read anything in the released docs about pesticide being used in the trunk, did we? However, I still remember the day Caylee was found when LE went back to the Anthony house and removed additional evidence -- a pesticide sprayer was one of the items. We'll see as testimony proceeds...

(Thanks everyone who is posting details of the trial; I'm only able to check-in every now and then and catch up after work. I so appreciate it -- and there is nowhere else to follow this trial than at Websleuths!!!)

IS showing pics from the body farm..complete with decomposing bodies..laying out in the elements

If ICA is insisting to her DT that Caylee was never in the trunk are they obligated to go that route? Is that why they are doing that?

As to the chloroform levels found in the trunk of the car...I need more information. I now know that chloroform is a byproduct of decomposition, and that the levels of chloroform found in the trunk of the vehicle were much much higher than one would find in decomposition. What I do not know, is what chemicals, when combined, might produce these levels of chloroform. In other words, would gasoline and pool chemicals combine to form high levels of chloroform? What chemicals are used in the manufacture of chloroform, and could 2 chemicals, accidentally combined, produce chloroform in the levels Dr. Vass noted?

(Don't kill me guys...I'm just a mock juror.) ;)

Chloroform=acetone, chlorine, ice to manufacture

From Personal Knowledge: A Degree, even a bachelor's, From the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Forensic Science Program results in a dual degree that includes CHEMISTRY or BIOLOGY as a candidates area of concentration. So, if Dr Vass got a graduate degree in Forensic Science from VCU, one can assume that the requirements are even more specific for the Master's as opposed to the Bachelor's. Each candidate can have his/her specialty be in either Chemistry or Biology. The end result is that the student or degree candidate, at VCU in Forensic Science, has all the credits necessary for a stand alone degree in his/her chosen science concentration (Chemistry or Biology) as well as a degree in Forensic Science. And, the degree candidate can choice to extend their learning by taking more classes in order to have a concentration in both Biology and Chemistry. Essentially a student graduating, even with only a bachelor's in Forensic science will have the equivalent of at least two bachelor's degrees...one in Forensic Science and one in either Biology or Chemistry.

Hope that makes sense. And, IIRC, Dr Vass got a graduate degree as opposed to his Bachelor's in Forensic Science from VCU.

Said it before, and I'll say it again...I just love your posts, Just K. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654