2011.06.06 TRIAL Day Eleven (Afternoon Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Points for Dr. Vass when he said he didn't bill this case to anyone it was volunteer.

object - sustained

Dr. V w/JB

must disclose financial interest? don't think that is true...

HHBP - Dr.do you understand the question?
No
disclose financial interest w/database? No not in report to inspector and detective..... work in research lab different from forensic...research lab does experiments...research lab don't have protocols.....usually develop protocals in research lab......

no protocols in this case....protocols used outlined in 2008 paper....cryfocus, used gcms ....those protocols used ...

nothing in writing tell what procedure to tell you what todo when.

all you have to look @ procedures and protocols listed those publication

publication studied buried remains.....2004 study buried remains...2008 study included others.....

no quality control? we run blanks, standards all part of quality control.....used in this case....any writing to confirm no contamination....what type contamination? volitle chemicals....certain components could be contaminated? instruments or samples? I believe Dr. Wise wrote down all of that ....don't recall anything other than Dr. wises notes....

qualitative analysis - identify certain chemicals..how much chemical is there....big peak or minute peak....like to be precise.......especially occassions as precise as possible.

qualitative analysis what was present then give rough idea of how much present....big or little amounts.

issued report in Aug. as preliminary report - tells what look @ so far...not final conclusions...aware before conclusion reported to media you had found human decomp in this car? (object- sustained - approach)

Continued cross exam of Dr. Arpad Vass by JB

Financial disclosure required for some journals. JB asked him if he filed a financial disclosure in his report in this case. He did not.

Research lab/forensics lab - research data is their product. Usually the research lab develops and establishes the protocols. Some of their testing has protocols. For this case the protocols are published in the 2008 and 2004 peer reviewed publications. He does not think that is totally different than what he did in this case. Procedurely they used the same things. It is found the Materials and Methods section. If you want to replicate an experiment, the procedures and protocols are listed in the publications. Buried remains were part of the 2004 study. In the 2008 study they looked at surface and skeletal bodies.

Quality control - they run blanks and standards.

Regarding contamination - the bench notes would address any contamination issue.

He did a qualitative analysis in this case. This meant they were identifying certain chemicals. As opposed to quantitative analysis which measures the amount. Qualitative can also address the size of the peeks. They were looking at whether the compounds were present or not and then a rough idea as to the abundance - big, little, trace.

His preliminary report was issued in August. It did not contain his final conclusions.

JB asked him if he issued an opinion to the media before his report that there was decomp in the trunk. Objection - move to strike.

Sidebar.

I would pay to hear Dr. Vass' thoughts as he is crossed by JB and through these sidebars.

The bullying, "you're a slime" approach does nothing for Baez. Someone should give him a lesson in ATTITUDE.

moo

So Baez is arguing and asking questions of an expert when he probably has no idea what the expert talked about before his questioning. Such a bully tactic. I don't know what you said, but you're WRONG! So THERE! He is so schoolyard it's ridiculous!

There's that wrinkled pad. Just WHAT is Baez planning to do with it?

I would give anything to see the faces of the jurors as Baez runs around in tight little circles, going nowhere. It's actually painful to watch.

Oh. My. G..... Baez is not qualified to speak to a scientist let alone question the man. If his purpose is to confuse people, he should just keep talking. The problem is that Dr Vass is smart enough to explain himself so that us lay people can understand. I don't think anyone can explain things so that Baez can understand them!

I really, really hope that Judge Perry smacks Baez upside the head during one of the many, many sidebars... Well, maybe not just once.

Question.....has any juror taken a single note since Jose started his cross???

Whah whah whah, whah whah whah. ;)

If it wasn't for the fact I find Vass so compelling, I'd go vacume.

JB's objections are more quantitative than qualitative. As are his questions. While I get what he's trying to do, I don't think he's being very successful. If I were a juror I would be nodding off right now.

I just self-moderated and deleted my own comment...very seldom do I show this kind of restraint! I hope you are suitably impressed.
:innocent:
I am impressed with everyone! Thank you all for your restraint :rocker::rocker::rocker:

what I find interesting during all this, as I watch day after day is Casey seems to have mentally disappeared from the proceedings.

Baez could really destroy this guy on the quality control if he knew what he was doing. Sounds like this guy runs a typical research lab, not accredited under ISO standards and very lax in their quality control procedures. Personally I would take his results with a big grain of salt.

Dr. Vass is a funny guy! He often looks to the ceiling swirling in the chair when the attorney's head for sidebar.
I wish I were in his thoughts during those moments, and I truly hope someone is able to screencap them!

side bar...
Dr. Voss grimces, grabs water bottle and looks up at ceiling...takes a big drink..

JoseBaez asking Vass about human decomp. Sidebar and Vass looks VERY ANNOYED. Stares at ceiling. #CaseyAnthonyby oscaseyanthony via twitter at 1:20 PM

and

No, the dogs are not here.by Gabe Travers/WESH.com at 1:17 P

darn it, wanted them to testify

OMG. Now Baez is pretending to know the difference in quantitative vs. qualitative. Will he ask for all the instrument calibrations too? Refrigerator temps too? I guarantee this lab documents ALL QC and calibrations. They would get no grant money if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95