2011.06.06 TRIAL Day Eleven (Morning Session)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"What sayest the defense?" "We OBJECT!" No waaaaaaaaayyyy!!:floorlaugh:

What in the hello is the defense trying to do? I don't get it. Are they trying to say Caylee's body was not in the trunk? Or are they just worked up by the chloroform stuff?
They state Caylee accidentally drowned. They inferred Roy or George took her body away? How do they think the body was moved- maybe it was moved on the same chair Zanny was sitting on?

Ugh. I need a drink.

Chloroform has a high rate of evaporation, like gasoline. Chloroform evaporated over time before sample was collection. Therefore... AFTER evaporation, it was in ppm (parts per million). Therefore this was a LOW estimate of how much was in trunk to begin with.
What about the Gatorade bottle found close to the remains. Irrelevant? I guess we will get there.

Vass tested the carpet of another similar car to make sure chloroform peak is not a normal product of this carpet.

JB moves to strike previous testimony. HHBP - NO

Initial exam - large peak (chloroform). Chloroform is a compound he has dealt with in his research. It is an identified decompositional event product. The level of chloroform was shockingly and unusual. There were also a variety of very small peaks. They then tried to concentrate the air sample.

He was with Dr Wise in the room as the next round of analysis was done.

They removed the piece of carpet from the can.

JB objected - overruled.

They removed the carpet from the can and placed it in a plastic bag (Tevlar plastic bag designed as a product to contain air samples for testing). They put the sample in the bag and incubated it for two days at body temperature. The carpet came from the trunk of a car in Florida. They estimated temp in trunk was high nineties. They were trying to get the substance in the carpet to be released into the air specifically.

They extracted 10 ml through the chryo trap concentration procedure and then examined it in the GCMS.

JB objection - overruled.

Results of concentrated analysis - 55 individual chemical components - one was chloroform. Chromatogram showed large, tall peaks indicating a greater concentration. The largest or base peak was chloroform. The amount surprised him - they were SHOCKED. They had never seen chloroform of that level in environmental samples in 20 years.

Chloroform is a by-product of decomp - but in very small amounts - parts per trillion. They tried to quantify it in the sample. They injected a standard of chloroform in a known standard to verify their findings. They were then able to make a rough approximation of amount of chloroform - rough approximation - parts per million vs. parts per trillion that he had seen before.

They could not further quantify it because they needed a more concentrated standard. Further quantification really wouldn't have been helpful to them.

Chloroform has a high rate of evaporation - similar to gas.

Objection by JB - overruled.

Chloroform appeared in the trunk, over time it has evaporated - car was in tow yard, anthony garage, forensics lab. Then sample was taken. They could not approximate the quantity at an earlier time.

Also tested a piece of carpet from another vehicle to determine if chloroform was naturally present. He was shown chromatograms from the control carpet and ICA's car.

JB objection - document admitted into evidence at #123 - then published to jury over defense objection.

This is very good for state and bad for defense. JB is really nervous about this. I think she killed her with chloroform. moo

Why would JB think this stuff is outside the witness's scope of expertise?

it seems to lie in whatever titles Dr. Vass has. since he didn't graduate with, say, a degree in chemistry, JB thinks he cannot speak to anything like that.

Baez's questioning of Vass was so confusing at the Frye hearing. The questions were so bad that Vass looked irritated....at least Vass will be prepared for it today.

I could just envision all of Vass's co-workers watching the tape of the hearing with popcorn and drinks and hooting with laughter at Baez's inane questioning

So, the carpet must have been soaked in chloroform, considering this testimony that chloroform has such as high rate of evaporation.

I keep saying she was chloroformed. I want to hear the relationship between a bathing suit (chlorine) and chloroform.

There would be, if she swam in a pool with chlorine in it. But the A's pool is treated with Bacquacil (don't know about that spelling), so no chlorine and thus no chloroform from the A's pool. And her bathing suit (and there is no proof there ever was a bathing suit in Casey's trunk btw) would be too tiny anyway to get the levels of choloform found.

Has any of JB objections got through on this witness?

Sorry listening while at work.

Wow seriously the DT is really showing the jury just how damning this testimony is by the level of how hard they are trying at every turn to get it thrown out.

Good for them....this can show them Caylee's death was no accident...plead guilty ICA...save your own sorry life....don't let everyone see Caylee's skeletal remains....that will give you a shot at death row...JMHO

Hubby and I were talking last night about KC. Could she just stand up during the trial and say "ok, I did it" or something along those lines?

Baez and that nervous neck twitch thing is such a dead give away to his frustration........I'll bet the jury has put 2+2 together as well. He is no poker player.:floorlaugh:

The crime is SO tragic, her behavior afterwards was SO horrific, and the DT tactics and demeanor is just beneath words.

For me, CA and GA wouldn't even factor in the decision making process.

That is what brought Scott Peterson down was his outrageous behavior.

SA has witness circle t peak on t graph that represents t chloroform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members