2011.06.16 TRIAL Day Twenty (Afternoon Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may not be understanding this witness, but it seems she knows what JA is trying to get, the points he's trying to make and she knows they are valid ones but seems to dance. Am I misunderstanding?

That's what I'm getting.

:lol: BS talking about JA and when he gets riled up - "He doesn't suffer fools lightly"

Always interesting to me, the relationships between the state (cops, state attorneys) and the FBI. Often not very cozy, imo.

My question is, how much did her and JB drink together at dinner and ummm, did they leave together?????

HHJBP to JB - do we know what your next question will be?

Question was: Were you asked to conduct a paternity test for LA, as to Caylee, potential father?

OBJECTION BY JA - not relevant as to whether anyone asked.

JB - I can rephrase the question. Did you conduct a paternity test.

JURY RETURNED

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF HEATHER SEUBERT BY JB - continued

JB - I wanted to ask you, did you conduct a paternity test to determine if LA was the biological father of Caylee?

Witness - Referring to her 12/16/08 report, page 3, this report does not address this question. She then looked at JB's copy of the report and read:

Based on the STR typing results, the DNA obtained from Q-18.1 could not have originated from a biological offspring of K-9, LA.

Tests not done very often?

OBJECTION - relevance - SUSTAINED.

Q-47 (photo of car seat) (Stipulation to discuss without objection) It was examined for blood - chemical testing was negative. No further testing done.
Q-48 (steering wheel cover) Visually examined - none observed, so no chemical testing was done.
Q-55 (debris from spare tire wheel well)
Q-56 (swap from spare tire wheel well)

NO FURTHER QUESTIONS BY JB

CROSS EXAMINATION BY JA:

Ex. 15 - swabs from spare tire cover - presumptive test for blood.

Phenolphthalein test reacts to the heen(?) portion of the blood. As a body decomposes, the hemoglobin portion also decomposes and would not react.

The stain had been identified as decomp fluid

OBJECTION BY JB =- facts not in evidence - OVERRULED

OBJECTION BY JB - misstates facts - OVERRULED

She could not say if there was decomp fluid there. All she could say that it did not react to blood.

OBJECTION BY JB - misstates witness testimony - SUSTAINED

Based on her testing results - negative - she can't testify to anything other than it was negative to the presence of blood. She did not detect any other fluid.

Could the stain still be decomp fluid?

OBJECTION BY JB - OVERRULED.

It is possible. All she could say it was blood.

When cells decompose, the DNA will start to degrade. In order for her testing to work, the DNA strands need to be in tact - sometimes portions will work.

OBJECTION BY JB - asked and answered - SUSTAINED.

Generally, with decomposing cells, you don't expect to find DNA? Right.

Regarding the chart she did on JB's easel, the result of 55 RFU - 50 is the peak amplitude threshold for a reliable peak result. The peak at 55 - depending on where it was detected - in this case at amelogenin - she determined it was inconclusive. The amelogenin is the sex chromosome. It is consistent with male or female - there is only X - no Y. Low copy number technique could not have been done at the time and she does not know what that would have resulted in.

Regarding single result on the sticky side of the tape - Locus D-3, 17 allele - well below the threshold.

Was there someone tested in the lab... Witness - yes ....

OBJECTION BY JB - May I approach?

SIDEBAR #7

This lady is unable to say yes or no. I liked her this morning, now I wanna stick pencils in my eyes.

Yes or no. Not a dissertation on every single question.

It's like Cindy Anthony FBI style -

MOO

I don't think the jury will make the connection that LE asked for LA paternity test because someone in LE suspected incest in this family. There is too much technical info today. IMO.

CM hiding his mouth at sidebar, forgetting that we will all see what is being said just as soon as a newstation or newspaper gets the transcripts.

Via Twitter
Baez: your honor can I have a sidebar to remind you that he is destroying EVERYTHING I wasted everyone's morning on?

I don't get this. Is she Jose's witness? Is she presently employed by the FBI? Why would she ever have dinner or outside conversations with JB? Isn't this trial by ambush, which JP warned against? I don't think the SA got to depose her. She seems to be less cooperative and forthcoming with JA than she was with JB, IMO.

I thought she was Former FBI

Baez needs to take down that horrible pad if he doesn't want it used against him. It's a distraction and it's in the way. The jurors need to see the inmate, imo.

I may not be understanding this witness, but it seems she knows what JA is trying to get, the points he's trying to make and she knows they are valid ones but seems to dance. Am I misunderstanding?

It sure feels like that.

Maybe one of the shows covering this case would find JB's law professors and see how they think he's doing.

JB wants a sidebar... perhaps he is not happy that so far JA has shown that all this information means nothing b/c it was inconclusive.

Yes but some of the states was inconclusive as well ,to the jury I would think, JA's unsettled demeanor is confusing

"Jeff Ashton does not suffer fools lightly" (Bill Schaeffer) He needs to control his emotions.

....and such a fool as this he has possibly never seen in a courtroom before.

CM hiding his mouth at sidebar, forgetting that we will all see what is being said just as soon as a newstation or newspaper gets the transcripts.

He hasn't figured that out yet. He thinks those bloggers are reading his lips. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaexo21