2011.06.20 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-three)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece just turned 3 last week and she doesn't really have "friends" yet. She does have an older brother and a cousin close to her age, but all the neighbor kids are older. My SIL is going to start her in pre-school in the fall, that is when my other two nieces went also, when they were three. I don't think it's all that unusual for Caylee not to have been in pre-school quite yet.

My point was that Caylee didn't seem to have any contact with children - in pre-school, a play group, Mom & tot class, or even children in the neighborhood. She spent most of her time with George, Cindy, Casey, and whoever Casey's friends were at any given time. To the best of my knowledge, Caylee had little or no contact with other children her age. There are no photos of her with other youngsters, and there appear to have been no children at one of her birthday parties. That is unusual.

The Dt should know the real names of the jurors- they get a printout of it. When I was in on jury selection, they start out the jury selection confirming your name with your juror number, so this has some other meaning. It could be different in this case, though.

Both sides get the names of the jurors. It is very common for the attorneys to research their backgrounds to be able to know what they are dealing with. The jurors are not anonomous to either side and I am sure both sides have done extensive research on all of the jurors.

Did I hear correctly earlier? Rodriguez intends to testify that "other people cannot distinguish the scent of human decomposition"???

Yes, only HE can distinguish it, being that he is the president, ceo and founder of The Body Farm and all. :floorlaugh:

Let me preface my question by saying I'm pro-prosecution and admire the work of the assistant state attorneys. I'm operating from memory, but I recall HHJP told JA to depose the Body Farm witness on Saturday afternoon with the understanding that the witness would be called Monday morning. Didn't JA have an obligation to be prepared for the witness this morning?

My understanding is that JA could not depose the witness because he was given a one page expert report that gave him nothing to depose the witness on. So the witness was sent home. This morning JA is handed a complete report along with a power point presentation. He NOW is able to depose the witness. This is all JB's fault. Ja shouldn't get a smack down for bringing to the judges attention that lightning struck twice and he asked for sanctions.

Bill S commented about NOT having the judge call a mistrial for the state. It MIGHT be interpreted by the appeal court as double jeopardy for the defendant and therefore, she would walk. Bill S a few minutes ago.

This doesn't make sense to me. Can you explain further? Thanks!

My point was that Caylee didn't seem to have any contact with children - in pre-school, a play group, Mom & tot class, or even children in the neighborhood. She spent most of her time with George, Cindy, Casey, and whoever Casey's friends were at any given time. To the best of my knowledge, Caylee had little or no contact with other children her age. There are no photos of her with other youngsters, and there appear to have been no children at one of her birthday parties. That is unusual.

I might be unusual too. No other kids have ever attended a birthday party for either boy.

George & Cindy both worked, so hard for them to intigrate Caylee into play groups etc. that would be the mother's responsibility & we all know that wasn't one of Casey's prioritities, unless there were kids at the tatoo shop or one of the BF's apartments or the many Target stores she visited!!!

Not sure of the laws in FL but in Colorado you cannot enter "preschool" until your 3rd birthday.

Katy....
1) walked into court - CM requested immediate sidebar
2) Jurors were never brought in
3) JA objected to witness Rodriguiz being on stand so quickly after depo taken on Sat. and no opportunity to review transcripts.
4) JA objected to witnesses testify things not in report
5) HHBP asked for next witness....JB said he had one in 30 min.....court recessed about 45 min....came back - in judges chambers - court recessed until tomorrow.

HHBP was fuming today and scolded Atty's - must see!

You forgot Baez's sincere and butt-hurt diatribe about how he never intentionally attempted to derail the trial and how 'disturbed' he is to even have his integrity called into question. :D

Bruce at WFTV: I was waiting to find out what they knew. One of our producers told me that because the first two witnesses were put on hold for the day, and the defense expect those two to take all day, there wasn't another witness ready to go. Both sides agreed to recess for the day.

Did I hear correctly earlier? Rodriguez intends to testify that "other people cannot distinguish the scent of human decomposition"???

I would agree that not everyone has the ability to tell the difference.

I personally can not tell the diference between 100 pounds of rotting meat and human decomposition. I've smelled human decomp, a man in the woods under a piece of paneling....and I've had a chest freezer, in my shed loaded with meat ( dog kicked out the cord ) It was last July ...I don't know how many days it had been when I discovered iit by opening the lid. The smell was exactly the same to me and filled the backyard.

MissJ the Shirley P file is no longer avilable - but re-reading some of the WS'ers posts were helpful.

This doesn't make sense to me. Can you explain further? Thanks!
Not quoting, but summarizing. Please correct me anyone!

Bill S. said. That ICA could plea to the appeal court that there really was NO reason for the state/judge to call a mistrial. She could say that the jury was fine and there were no issues that should have caused this. ONE of the results of this position could be that the appeals court would rule that she was correct, that there should have been no mistrial, and that she would not be subjected to double jeopardy by being retried and therefore, could walk free.

Oh and something else about the judge. He already broke his promise that court would be at 8:30am. Today he stated at the end that court was in recess til 9am just like it always is. No wonder everyone thinks they can do as they please.
Thought that too but having just re-listened to that, HJBP said that the lawyers were to be present to bring forth any motions, etc by 8:30 Am and that they (the court) would begin at :)00.

Am I remembering correctly this morning that JB said the witness showed up at JA's office and JA told him to "go away"
That is too comical, are we really supposed to believe that's what JA said....

The scenario cracks me up, arrive at office, JA opens door and says "go away"

yeah right....... i'm sure that's how it went down (sarcasm).

MOO

I disagree. I know it seems that he is getting away with 'murder' (didn't really intend that pun LOL) but HHJP is being very careful to not allow any appeals issues. He's walking a tight line. But at the end of trial, I believe he will deal with JB swiftly.

I wish I had your confidence. I will believe it when I see it. And maybe a mistrial or appeals need to happen in this case. They are a legal option for a reason. My guess is because of Attorneys like Baez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellllop