2011.06.21 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-four)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As court concluded for the day, the live stream from WFTV went to Bill Shaeffer for his comments on the day' court session. He summed it up beautifully, saying that today was another day of loss for the defense. He said the state's case stands way ahead of what the defense has presented.

Personally, I think today was a major day for the state. At the lunch recess, HHBP addressed the defense's claim that the state was introducing new evidence at this late date. We learned that the state is planning on introducing telephone logs and computer logs that will show the activity in the Anthony household on June 16, 2008. I think these logs will disprove the defense claim that Caylee drowned in the family pool on that day. Secondly, we learned that a young woman by the name of April Whalen has come forward stating that she was in the Orange County jail in the summer of 2008 (petty theft) and that she told other inmates about the death of her child on December 26, 2007. Her child died in the family's above ground pool and was found by her father - the child's grandfather. The grandfather tried cpr and called 911. It would appear that April Whalen heard the defense's opening statement and realized that the defense's claim of Caylee drowning in the family pool is April's story.........a story Casey adopted as her own.

I think we can see now that the state is preparing their rebuttal and it will refute many defense claims.

Rbbm - that was one of my own thoughts that I had today...thanks for reminding me....do you all remember that the SA already submitted work schedules for GA and CA at the end of their presentation of the case? I was just sure I remember that! Anyone else?

I watched the trial on the TV this afternoon rather than at my computer like I usually do. Something became very apparent to me as the afternoon wound down, and I am wondering if anyone else got the same impression I did.

To me, it seemed like JB flat out does not care any more. His whole demeanor was different. His tone of voice was different, the way he argued with the judge about sustained objections, asking the same question over and over even after an objecton was sustained. While it was not out of line with his usual antics, I think there was something different there this afternoon. I feel like he is thinking "What more can HHJP do to me at the end of the trial'. I think he knows his law career is over and he has no intention of listening to anyone about anything from this point on. I am seriously worried about him doing something reckless that results in a mistrial.

did anyone else get this kind of feeling or vibe from JB this afternoon.

I kind of got that feeling also.. however he made his bed now he is to lay in it.. dirty trick playing is catching up with him.. he knows he has a joke of a case. He has proved one thing to me so far in this trial.. that people like him are truly what give defense criminal attorneys a bad name.
Accidental drowning.. dont thing so but to drag the mourning grandparents through the mud is inhumane.

I heard Lizbeth F. argue/present a motion. She is not on the mitigation team, I don't believe.

I stand corrected..I was thinking of that other dark haired women (married to Serial Murderer) that sits and chats it up with KC..I recall LF is an intern of sorts in Baez or maybe CM's office..and yes she is young and does have a nice voice..but she has not examined any witnesses in this case...Im sorry for confusion..As Ms. Simms actually examined a few witnesses this morning...first day appearing in the "Well" of the courtroom..usually at DT desk:truce:

Speaking of chemistry sets-- now that Baez has mentioned Melich didn't find anything at the home, if those Home Depot tapes have anything for us they can come in on rebuttal, right?

If it shows her buying chloroform supplies, I don't see why not.

There were several posters from Florida who said earlier they DO have coyotes.

did JA say that Florida doesn't have coyotes while talking to Dr. Bock? I thought I heard him say that, and that is when I got confused about this no-issue.

did JA say that Florida doesn't have coyotes while talking to Dr. Bock? I thought I heard him say that, and that is when I got confused about this no-issue.

He did say that. He was wrong.

I stand corrected..I was thinking of that other dark haired women that sits and chats it up with KC..I recall LF is an intern of sorts in Baez or maybe CM's office..and yes she is young and does have a nice voice..but she has not examined any witnesses in this case...Im sorry for confusion..As Ms. Simms actually examined a few witnesses this morning...first day appearing in the "Well" of the courtroom..usually at DT desk:truce:

LF just passed the bar and I do not believe she would be qualified to try a DP case. Not that she could do a good job but I think you have to be an attorney for a certain number of years. jmo

I stand corrected..I was thinking of that other dark haired women (married to Serial Murderer) that sits and chats it up with KC..I recall LF is an intern of sorts in Baez or maybe CM's office..and yes she is young and does have a nice voice..but she has not examined any witnesses in this case...Im sorry for confusion..As Ms. Simms actually examined a few witnesses this morning...first day appearing in the "Well" of the courtroom..usually at DT desk:truce:
That's true, but she did pass the bar the first time around unlike Baez, so I'm pretty sure she's more qualified to question witnesses based on that alone.

Yes, I'm being facetious.

Okay I've typed this 3 times. I need to cut down my nails. grrrr. (lost it all 3 times)

IMHO Baez is just doing his job. (or trying to)

He more than likely doesn't have any emotion about Vass (dislike or hate).

He was trying to illustrate to the jury that Vass isn't a chemist (thereby trying to discredit Vass' testimony).

He went overboard with it. IMHO the jury probably got that point the first 10 times he brought that to their attention. The other forty-eleven times was overkill.

JMHO.

IF she is..She has done no examinations of any witnesses in this trial..She is apparantly part of the "Mitigation Team" aong with AF...so wondered regarding posters comments about her method of asking questioning of witnesses.. Dont mean to start an argument:banghead:[/Q

No argumemt from me.

Lisbeth Frye didn't question witnesses; she argued issues in front of HHJP at pre-trial hearings. She was articulate, respectful, and succinct. I think she'd do a better job with witnesses - it'd be hard not to do better than Baez.

See, that is what is so bad about the defense, is that CM doesn't even tell or advise Baez to let lisbeth do a witness or two, why is Baez still almost doing it all?

Okay I've typed this 3 times. I need to cut down my nails. grrrr. (lost it all 3 times)

IMHO Baez is just doing his job. (or trying to)

He more than likely doesn't have any emotion about Vass (dislike or hate).

He was trying to illustrate to the jury that Vass isn't a chemist (thereby trying to discredit Vass' testimony).

He went overboard with it. IMHO the jury probably got that point the first 10 times he brought that to their attention. The other forty-eleven times was overkill.

JMHO.
No he isn't, IMO, and that's the problem.

Can someone expand on the Home Depot tapes? Never heard about that aspect. Why were they not submitted?

Regarding the April Whalen connection:

I just want to mention again here that I was best friends w/ a pathological liar for 15 years. We were so close because I was the only person who could see through him consistently.
I mentioned what he said about a successful liar: ALWAYS use a bit of the truth, or 'switch truths', or use others' experiences as your own---SPECIFICALLY so you know what the proper reactions were from someone who went through it. Also, using some bit of truth keeps lies straight; otherwise you're caught all the time.
JMO from my experience.

If it shows her buying chloroform supplies, I don't see why not.

Your post sparked a neuron to fire in my brain (rare event so I thought I should share) ha!....

I have always wondered why the SA kept insisting the duct tape was the murder weapon ....not so much relying on the chloroform in statements (at least that has been my take on the whole thing)....maybe the Home Depot videos show purchases after the death and really was used to try and clean up....just wondering that...but if they have video before 6/15/08 of KC purchasing components for chloroform that would be the last nail (I think)

As court concluded for the day, the live stream from WFTV went to Bill Shaeffer for his comments on the day' court session. He summed it up beautifully, saying that today was another day of loss for the defense. He said the state's case stands way ahead of what the defense has presented.

Personally, I think today was a major day for the state. At the lunch recess, HHBP addressed the defense's claim that the state was introducing new evidence at this late date. We learned that the state is planning on introducing telephone logs and computer logs that will show the activity in the Anthony household on June 16, 2008. I think these logs will disprove the defense claim that Caylee drowned in the family pool on that day.

Secondly, we learned that a young woman by the name of April Whalen has come forward stating that she was in the Orange County jail in the summer of 2008 (petty theft) and that she told other inmates about the death of her child on December 26, 2007. Her child died in the family's above ground pool and was found by her father - the child's grandfather. The grandfather tried cpr and called 911. It would appear that April Whalen heard the defense's opening statement and realized that the defense's claim of Caylee drowning in the family pool is April's story.........a story Casey adopted as her own.
I think we can see now that the state is preparing their rebuttal and it will refute many defense claims.

As of this evening, April apparently did an interview with JVM staff claiming she had NEVER had contact or communication with ICA, so IF ICA learned of this drowning, it was through another inmate who she DID have contact with....

.....which brings up the speculation in my mind as to whether or not RA is the inmate who repeated the story to ICA either in person or in passed notes (since we know both took place). I am also not convinced we have read ALL the correspondence between ICA and RA....remember the "don't forget to flush" comments by ICA? Wonder how many letters are in the OC sewer system....

So can SA now go back and question RA about whether or not SHE had any contact or communication with ANY other inmate concerning April's story?

That's true, but she did pass the bar the first time around unlike Baez, so I'm pretty sure she's more qualified to question witnesses based on that alone.

Yes, I'm being facetious.

:floorlaugh: I was just going to comment on that very thing...She does seem to have more of a grasp of courtroom protocol/rules than the lead attny...Rather depressing, eh:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove