2011.07.07 Sentencing Hearing Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the SWAT team on the little PIP on WESH... Whats that all about???

Used to be the 4th estate? Hope they never lose that title... hmmm, well, let them have the names, then.

Does anyone feel like we are being scolded for actually being deeply interested in this case?

Judge: what is real journalism?

-it's the only way public can know, but if you do not, do not __?___ yourself, all these folks calling themselves journalists...

If I were called to jury duty, I would not be thrilled about it but would feel it
was my duty as a citizen to serve. After voting on the verdict, surely it wouldn't
be fair for me to have to live in fear for the rest of my life.
Therefore, I think jurors names should be kept private.

HHJP: Alright, I will try to...I'll be frank that you won't get anything tomorrow, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do with the cooling off period...

OHHH the jurors were being contacted prior to the trial even? Explains so much!

Wow....it sure does!!! I think this jury was contaminated! Nothing will change my opinion.

HHJBP: The order that was made was that someone at that time was attempting to get the names of the jurors. At that time the Court had no idea how long the trial would last, what the verdict would be or how it would be perceived. The Court did have an idea of the unusual media interest which was generated by the extraordinary public interest.

Some of the jurors families were being contacted during the trial. That was something that they knew.

One juror said that some were even contacted before they left the courthouse. There were "bookers", one of which got a pass to get inside the courtroom for the express purpose of being able to contact to book the jurors on various shows. This is the backdrop of what we were dealing with and I had more important things to deal with.

Media lawyer Steele: If there is going to be any further confidentiality of the juror's now they have been discharged, the court has to make specific findings. Generalized privacy concerns is not enough to overcome first amendment issues.

HHJBP: He hopes that the St. Pete Times and Orlando Sentinel would one day help support juror pay so that there is some sort of fund for LE to access to provide protection to these citizens. To tell them to provide that when their funds have been slashed..... You can't ask deputies and police officers to donate their time for free since most of them have had a 3% reduction in pay. Hopefully, ya'll will write some editorials to encourage purse string holders to provide the funds to do what you suggest should be done.

HHJBP: Anyone else like to speak? No.

HHJBP: I don't know what I'm going to do. I have sort of an idea. Thinking out loud - the case law indicates that the best that I think I can do legally is a cooling off period. At the conclusion of that period, release the names. The non-legal side of me really feels for these individuals who simply wanted to do their civic duty and maybe foolishly listened to me when I called upon them and encouraged them about a thing called a right to a trial by a jury and how it was very important that this document that we celebrate... Our landscape in this country has changed. People have no reservation or hesitation about walking up to an individual, pulling a gun, knife or any other type of weapon and because they disagree with them, hurt them or kill them. While there are legitimate journalists and news organizations, there are people out there who have shows not for the purpose of journalism, but reality news - to do things to shock folks, to get people to watch and to juice up their ratings so their commercial time will go up and it is about the all mighty dollar. The days of watching what I call people like Cronchite, Jennings and people of that level is almost gone. The day of the 24 hour news cycle causes one to ponder and wonder what is journalism anymore. The St. Pete Times has always been a very good newspaper. I enjoy that I can read that and get a glimpse of what is going on in the entire State of Florida. I used to enjoy the indepth investigative reporting of the Orlando Sentinel, but they have sort of gotten away from that. I used to say I could look at the news and get a tidbit, but I could get the full story from the local newspaper. At some point in this nation we are going to have to decide what is journalism, what is real journalism - and journalists used to have that title of the (?) I hope they never lose that title.

All these independent folks now calling themselves journalists - that (?) is going to disappear.

You won't get anything tomorrow.

Already authorized some jurors?

Unfortunately, I have to go take care something for me today which will leave me pretty worse the wear for the next day or two.

Court is in recess.

Ah, has a personal matter to take care of-- sounded like minor surgery or something. mo

I just want to hug him. Or hand him a long island iced tea. or both

Anyone know e-mail addresses? That is the quickest way to voice our objections.

I would post on Twitter, or other websites, that the current clients business may suffer due to this. As soon as those people start contacting WMA, they will have to drop them.

Bless his heart, he said for the next few days he has to take care of a few personal matters that will leave him "worse for the wear." He might have to see a doctor about some issue is what I am thinking (or has seen one and has something scheduled). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member