26 August 2013 hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The twitter account demand has not yet been argued nor ruled on.

Sorry to quote my own post. This must be one of the motions that JSS is ruling on.

Poor new jurors. Again the criminals have the rights and we as jurors get all our personal information on twitter exposed for them to exploit. What a crock!

Beth Karas had a lot of good comments last night on True Crime Radio.

Addressing the Twitter motion, she thought it highly unlikely that this would get a favorable ruling. Basically she said if anyone should monitor twitter activity, it would be the court, not the defense team. I was relieved to hear that, as the thought of defense counsel and possibly the convict having that information is frightening to me.

Travis's family still wants the death penalty for CMJA. It sounds like Chris and Skye have concerns for the family with the never ending appeal process on death row. Beth did have in-depth conversation with at least one family member, who is realistic that in all likelihood, CMJA will not be put to death. The family does not want her in the general population and thus they are holding firm for the death penalty.

If I've misrepresented anything that Beth said, please clarify.

She has more chance of getting out or having her sentence overturned if she is sentenced to death than if she gets life. If she gets life, she'll get an appeal and then she will be pretty much forgotten. If she gets death she will get years and years and years of appeals where anything could happen. She would probably never actually be executed, thought she's young yet.

I still want her to get death. But it's food for thought.

ETA: she will also have the advantage of being able to use the anti-DP stance to rally for sympathy and get people fighting for her. Fighting for a convicted murderer.

ITA MeeBee. The Alexander Family will always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. LWOP is the quickest insurance policy that she never sees beyond barbed wire fence. If CMJA should accept a deal for LWOP, with the agreement that she will not appeal her conviction, IMO that would be the best and healthiest outcome for the Alexanders. At this rate, TA will have been dead 6 years before she is sentenced. The Defense seems to like to stall and file motion after motion, without respect for the dates set forth by JSS. JMV

Sorry to quote my own post. This must be one of the motions that JSS is ruling on.

Poor new jurors. Again the criminals have the rights and we as jurors get all our personal information on twitter exposed for them to exploit. What a crock!

----------
Anthony Sowell tried for an appeal, it took the Judge about a week to say No Way!! All the talk about no tv coverage by the DT.!! ja. is indigent shouldnt the people of AZ. have a say in this? They are footing the bill which should give them rights. If Judge refuses coverage, she is denying them the right to what they have paid for. ja and team should have no say in how it is handled! I know I am nuts~but I am also fed up with the carp of them calling all the shots. Suppose she does get an appeal down the road? does she honestly think a jury will free her? She is considered a menace to society and always will be just like Manson. If out and someone farted near her she'd no doubt plug 'em.!! :seeya:

Addressing the Twitter motion, she thought it highly unlikely that this would get a favorable ruling. Basically she said if anyone should monitor twitter activity, it would be the court, not the defense team. I was relieved to hear that, as the thought of defense counsel and possibly the convict having that information is frightening to me.

Travis's family still wants the death penalty for CMJA. It sounds like Chris and Skye have concerns for the family with the never ending appeal process on death row. Beth did have in-depth conversation with at least one family member, who is realistic that in all likelihood, CMJA will not be put to death. The family does not want her in the general population and thus they are holding firm for the death penalty.

As a homicide survivor, I get where they are coming from re: not wanting CMJA in general population as they more than likely want her to rot in prison. On the flip side, it could be beneficial for her to be in general population. The inmates sound pretty hardcore in Perryville and I think CMJA is pretty scared at the thought of being there. I don't know if CMJA can ask for a bench retrial for the penalty phase. That sure would take care of all of Nurmis ridiculous motions wouldn't it. JMV

ITA MeeBee. The Alexander Family will always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. LWOP is the quickest insurance policy that she never sees beyond barbed wire fence. If CMJA should accept a deal for LWOP, with the agreement that she will not appeal her conviction, IMO that would be the best and healthiest outcome for the Alexanders. At this rate, TA will have been dead 6 years before she is sentenced. The Defense seems to like to stall and file motion after motion, without respect for the dates set forth by JSS. JMV

---------
Hi Zuri, wasn't she offered a plea with LWOP in the very beginning and refused it wanting 25 to life with parole possible? We thought J.B. was dragging things out!!! :floorlaugh: :seeya:

As a homicide survivor, I get where they are coming from re: not wanting CMJA in general population as they more than likely want her to rot in prison. On the flip side, it could be beneficial for her to be in general population. The inmates sound pretty hardcore in Perryville and I think CMJA is pretty scared at the thought of being there. I don't know if CMJA can ask for a bench retrial for the penalty phase. That sure would take care of all of Nurmis ridiculous motions wouldn't it. JMV

As long as the death penalty is on the table, it has to be trial by jury. A judge cannot sentence a convict to death, this can only be done by a jury. IIRC, this was a US Supreme Court decision.

Nurmi was trying to create a Catch-22 with one of his previous motions, saying that a jury is not qualified to find especially cruel.

I think the short term defense strategy is to toss out a ridiculous motion just days before the next status update. No matter how weird and wild it seems to be, the judge has to research, find case law, and rule on it.

Their long term strategy is to delay so long as to frustrate Travis' family into agreeing to stop pushing for death penalty and allow judge to sentence 25 to life. Then the whole thing would be over.

MOO
And the judge is falling for it hook, line, and sinker. I just wish this case had a different judge, one with a backbone. She has bent over backward for the defense. She may be great on family cases, but I don't think she should have been given this case.

The twitter account demand has not yet been argued nor ruled on.

DT is much better off not asking, IMO.

[But I never gave them much strategy credit in the first place, especially in trying to paint the victim as a pedophile -- like that would help them with the jury. And fabricating the self-defense claim with the gun she told Flores the victim never owned...]

No, criminals and court-contemptible jurors (i.e., those who disobey Court orders) are nearly always stupid enough to post their actual names and pictures for any of a few billion users with Internet access to peruse 24X7.

If the DT was smart, they'd just let it roll, screen cap the 'goods', and then move for mistrial when it ultimately doesn't go their way.

With tainted juries, the risk/liability is greater to the prevailing party -- esp. State -- IMO. After all, what does a convicted murderess have to lose?

Thank you to those who mentioned listening to Tricia's True Crime Radio with Beth Karas last night (8-25-2013). It was excellent. At least for me it was very informative. Beth gave the answers to so many questions I have and had asked today. I usually don't catch it on Sundays and then listen later. This broadcast was very good.

I do love to listen to Beth. She makes everything very clear. She had a few surprises too. I did not know the information about the one boarder. Creepy.

Beth also gave some information on some other cases such as the Scott Peterson case and the Aaron Hernandez case.

Thanks again for reminding me to listen.

Thank you to those who mentioned listening to Tricia's True Crime Radio with Beth Karas last night (8-25-2013)....
I do love to listen to Beth. She makes everything very clear. She had a few surprises too. I did not know the information about the one boarder. Creepy.......

What is the info' about "the one boarder", please?? I don't know anything about this. tyia:seeya:

I guess we SHOULD give her a break. After all hearing how Travis was brutally murdered could not possibly have caused the anxiety that getting an nasty email that attacks you personally would. She's a pip.

:floorlaugh:

I'm sorry, I am NOT condoning any verbal or physical or any kind of attacks on anyone, but HLN kept playing the clip of her talking over and over again, and the "chicken bone" one just cracks me up every time I hear it. I know, I know, it's not funny....but it's just the way she says it.

And the judge is falling for it hook, line, and sinker. I just wish this case had a different judge, one with a backbone. She has bent over backward for the defense. She may be great on family cases, but I don't think she should have been given this case.

Annie, I'm starting to agree with you. The talking heads were saying it's not really JSS fault, this is the way the system is, if there are motions she needs time to see them and respond to them....but she is the one letting them getting UNLIMITED number of motions in, some verrryyy ridiculous, because the trial is NEVER-ENDING. Once a trial is finished, the defense can't give her any more motions. But by letting them delay, delay, delay...it's giving them the opportunity to keep putting in more and more motions.

Also, I understand it's death penalty and they need to be careful so as not to get an appeal, but come on...the appeals committee or whoever decides these things should take into account that there needs to be a LIMIT. The law should not be so that if they don't dot one i out of 1 billion i's, then the whole case gets re-tried. Talk about obsessive.

MNMary, One of the boarders may have been in the house when Jodi was still there. No one knows for sure but Jodi. Very creepy.

-----------------

Once she gets to Perryville the best place for her is GP..:floorlaugh: from what I've heard they dont mess around. :jail:

Annie, I'm starting to agree with you. The talking heads were saying it's not really JSS fault, this is the way the system is, if there are motions she needs time to see them and respond to them....but she is the one letting them getting UNLIMITED number of motions in, some verrryyy ridiculous, because the trial is NEVER-ENDING. Once a trial is finished, the defense can't give her any more motions. But by letting them delay, delay, delay...it's giving them the opportunity to keep putting in more and more motions.

Also, I understand it's death penalty and they need to be careful so as not to get an appeal, but come on...the appeals committee or whoever decides these things should take into account that there needs to be a LIMIT. The law should not be so that if they don't dot one i out of 1 billion i's, then the whole case gets re-tried. Talk about obsessive.

JSS had a deadline for defense to submit their motions. It came and went without a word. Last minute tactic, I guess, was to file late. Hope the meeting in chambers with just the defense attorneys was JSS ripping their heads off so they had to tape them back on to return to the courtroom. jmo

Thank you to those who mentioned listening to Tricia's True Crime Radio with Beth Karas last night (8-25-2013). It was excellent. At least for me it was very informative. Beth gave the answers to so many questions I have and had asked today. I usually don't catch it on Sundays and then listen later. This broadcast was very good.

I do love to listen to Beth. She makes everything very clear. She had a few surprises too. I did not know the information about the one boarder. Creepy.

Beth also gave some information on some other cases such as the Scott Peterson case and the Aaron Hernandez case.

Thanks again for reminding me to listen.

What did she say about Scott? :)

Does she think anyone feels sorry for her? Could have anything to do with the fact that she sold her soul and decided to lie for a girl who killed an innocent man? Could it have anything to do with the fact that she judged someone who is not even here to defend himself because he was murdered? Could it have anything to do with Juan's scathing cross examination? She didn't see fear from Travis? Look at the autopsy photos again ALV and tell us you don't see fear.

I do not like this woman. She disgusts me.

How consistent. She sees herself as a victim, and of course, its not her fault she won't testify again. Its the fault of all the bad hateful people who made her a victim, just like, according to her, it is Travis Alexander who victimized the murderer and made her do bad hateful things. Talk about wilful ignorance...

******FROM INSIDE THE COURTROOM THIS MORNING WITH THE JODI ARIAS TRIAL*****

This is a 'first hand' report from the hearing this morning by our own Sandra McKinney......as she was there and this is her report to us on the hearing. Thanks so much Sandra!!!

"There are a few things that I need to clear up from the "hearing" this morning. On August 21 and 22, the defense filed three motions (23 pages) regarding the retrial of the penalty phase - The defense wants INDIVIDUALIZED Voir Dire. The second is a motion to COMPEL THE TWITTER ACCOUNTS of jurors. And the third is the Motion about LIVE FEED. The State has not had time to respond to these. After the state responds, the defense gets time to respond to the response. Only after that can Judge Stephens make the rulings.

While I was waiting for the hearing - Grace Wong and I were talking and Mike - the court reporter came with a cart full of TRANSCRIPTS (1500 pgs) for the attorneys to review for accuracy. They were not filed. Det. Flores was there too.

After the hearing, I went down on the elevator with Juan and Det Flores. All Det. Flores did was shake his head.

Please do not blame Judge Stephens for this."

--------------------------------------------------

I get the feeling that sentencing after a hung jury generally doesn't take this long. The state seems very frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesaccasey