26 August 2013 hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame JSS for anything. I think she's done an awesome job of protecting the record and the rights of JA so that she cannot have more than her allotted appeal.

People all want it to move fast, but that is the worst way to make sure it all goes correctly.

1500 pages of transcripts for JM to review? I wonder if he still feels fire in the belly for this case or if he is, for himself only, ready to be done with it. He' s only human and he worked on this case so hard for so long and with such huge passion...

just seen the ALV interview with hln,still have zero sympathy for her and her woe is me act.

she was and still is completely blind to the facts!

looks like i wont be getting a verdict on her fate for my birthday on the 20th then,may get a trial date though.

someone has to say enough is enough,deadlines to give replies to motions are there for a reason and nurmi and willmott seem to be experts at ignoring them,and whats being done about that? nothing. :sigh:

******FROM INSIDE THE COURTROOM THIS MORNING WITH THE JODI ARIAS TRIAL*****

This is a 'first hand' report from the hearing this morning by our own Sandra McKinney......as she was there and this is her report to us on the hearing. Thanks so much Sandra!!!

"There are a few things that I need to clear up from the "hearing" this morning. On August 21 and 22, the defense filed three motions (23 pages) regarding the retrial of the penalty phase - The defense wants INDIVIDUALIZED Voir Dire. The second is a motion to COMPEL THE TWITTER ACCOUNTS of jurors. And the third is the Motion about LIVE FEED. The State has not had time to respond to these. After the state responds, the defense gets time to respond to the response. Only after that can Judge Stephens make the rulings.

While I was waiting for the hearing - Grace Wong and I were talking and Mike - the court reporter came with a cart full of TRANSCRIPTS (1500 pgs) for the attorneys to review for accuracy. They were not filed. Det. Flores was there too.

After the hearing, I went down on the elevator with Juan and Det Flores. All Det. Flores did was shake his head.

Please do not blame Judge Stephens for this."

--------------------------------------------------

I get the feeling that sentencing after a hung jury generally doesn't take this long. The state seems very frustrated.

just seen the ALV interview with hln,still have zero sympathy for her and her woe is me act.

she was and still is completely blind to the facts!

looks like i wont be getting a verdict on her fate for my birthday on the 20th then,may get a trial date though.

someone has to say enough is enough,deadlines to give replies to motions are there for a reason and nurmi and willmott seem to be experts at ignoring them,and whats being done about that? nothing. :sigh:

If you look at the information from the court today, They were both given transcripts to review and that takes time. It is not about someone ignoring anything but progress in the trial.

1500 pages of transcripts for JM to review? I wonder if he stills fire in the belly for this case or if he is, for himself only, ready to be done with it. He' s only human and he worked on this case so hard for so long and with such huge passion...

I don't don't doubt for a second that Juan still has fire in his belly for this case and for this family. I think his frustration is with the defense team and their utter incompetence and dirty tactics. It must just be exasperating.

If you look at the information from the court today, They were both given transcripts to review and that takes time. It is not about someone ignoring anything but progress in the trial.

They did ignore their deadline for all motions to be filed. They were just filed in the last few days. The deadline came and went and they filed these new motions after the fact. They are playing games. Judge said she could not set a date because of the new motions, not because of the transcripts.

They did ignore their deadline for all motions to be filed. They were just filed in the last few days. The deadline came and went and they filed these new motions after the fact. They are playing games. Judge said she could not set a date because of the new motions, not because of the transcripts.

Maybe but she also has to give them the transcripts to look over before they can set trial too. That was as Per Beth Karas awhile back.
Reality there will always be new motions. She may have wanted a deadline for motions but now that the transcript is out there is now more options for more motions. It is the nature of the process. She probably wanted all the motions that were possible at that point to be filed but she can not tell them they can file no more motions because that is how the process works.

They have to be able to defend their client and file appropriate motions.

Maybe but she also has to give them the transcripts to look over before they can set trial too. That was as Per Beth Karas awhile back.
Reality there will always be new motions. She may have wanted a deadline for motions but now that the transcript is out there is now more options for more motions. It is the nature of the process. She probably wanted all the motions that were possible at that point to be filed but she can not tell them they can file no more motions because that is how the process works.

They have to be able to defend their client and file appropriate motions.

She didn't tell them they cannot file new motions. She asked them to please have all motions filed by this date. They went against that. But the motions are just silly, they are clearly just a stalling tactic. There is nothing wrong with defending their client, but they are doing it in a dirty way by attempting to taint the jury pool and manipulate the media. I don't know about the transcripts or if it's true that the judge cannot set a date until they are all reviewed, but the judge said the reason she cannot set a date is because of the new motions. So I am going with that. I am not blaming anyone. But the defense team strikes me as unethical. That's just my opinion.

My worst fear is that allowing all these ridiculous motions (that have all been denied) will, in itself, allow for an appeal (of punishment phase) on grounds of "ineffective counsel."

My worst fear is that allowing all these ridiculous motions (that have all been denied) will, in itself, allow for the appeal on grounds of "ineffective counsel."

It won't as that's the very opposite of ineffective counsel. They are doing their jobs so we can be thankful for that. There is no reason this case should ever be overturned for ineffective counsel.

I don't don't doubt for a second that Juan still has fire in his belly for this case and for this family. I think his frustration is with the defense team and their utter incompetence and dirty tactics. It must just be exasperating.

I absolutely agree that his commitment to Travis' family likely hasn't dimmed one iota. It was precisely his empathy for the family that made me a hard core fan..well, that and his magnificent lawyering. :D.

And yep, this DT must annoy him. But not surprise him. He got their number a long time ago.

After watching bits and pieces of ALV's interview I have to agree with some posters that it looks like a last ditch effort to help CMJA and of course herself. It's interesting to me that she found the messages on the internet to be so full of hate toward her and CMJA but fails to see the hateful way she tried to paint the VICTIM in the trial.

She was astonished that someone would wish that she would get hit with a bat or choke on a chicken bone. I wonder if she would have felt worse if someone had wished that she had been stabbed 27 times, had her throat slit, shot her, and left her naked in a shower stall to rot for a week before being found. She was shocked that people could harbor such hate without knowing someone. Yet, she forgets that the public had the chance to get to know both her and CMJA much better than she herself got to know Travis.

I abhor that people would send death threats to her, I really do. But she obviously doesn't realize that the opinions she espouses have a great impact on those she speaks against. It leaves me sad for those she has spoken against in court knowing how she seems so capable of seeing only one side of an issue. This would have been her perfect opportunity to state that Travis didn't deserve to die in the manner he did, but instead she held firm on the notion that she and CMJA were being unfairly judged. (Unless I haven't seen the whole interview.)

Unlike CMJA ALV did have real tears. But totally like CMJA they were all for herself. JMO

I wish for the sake of the family this could be over. But if it takes more time to get this right, so be it. This is about justice, not our viewing pleasure. And sometimes the wheels of justice turn slowly. CMJA isn't going anywhere so I can wait. She's the one that lives with the anxiety of facing Juan again if she testifies, so let her stew. And if ALV had told the whole truth, she wouldn't have had problems with anxiety.

Rant over. Thanks....MOO

She didn't tell them they cannot file new motions. She asked them to please have all motions filed by this date. They went against that. But the motions are just silly, they are clearly just a stalling tactic. There is nothing wrong with defending their client, but they are doing it in a dirty way by attempting to taint the jury pool and manipulate the media. I don't know about the transcripts or if it's true that the judge cannot set a date until they are all reviewed, but the judge said the reason she cannot set a date is because of the new motions. So I am going with that. I am not blaming anyone. But the defense team strikes me as unethical. That's just my opinion.

It may seem silly but they are trying to save someone's life. So it has to be considered and measured. I don't care how long it takes. I really feel like JSS has this well in hand.

bbm

hahhaa....keep dreamin'...that's just gonna give Nurmi about another month to put in MORE motions, which then she will need MORE time to review those motions....another month....in that month, Nurmi puts in 5 NEW motions, more time, etc. etc......when will it stop?! Didn't Nurmi just put in the new motion in the last few days about the tweetering and all that?

I just do not get this....what is so wrong with giving the defense (and prosecution) a DEADLINE to put in ALL MOTIONS...then JSS will have a DEADLINE to answer those motions. Done. Set re-trial date.

I don't know if it's just this judge, or if it's b/c of the death penalty that JSS is just being super cautious.

My thoughts EXACTLY when I saw that Nurmi filed those motions on Thursday -- clearly not enough time for the prosecution to respond, nor Judge to rule on them. What's with the 11th hour filing of motions??!!!??? We should ask this question on the "ask the lawyer" thread or whatever it's called. Total bullpuckey.

ALV Lied about the reason she is not wanting to be back in court. JM filed a motion of his intent to g after her for lying in the first part of the trial about how many men she testified for. She knows she will be in his cross-hairs if she does. Also JSS is being way over the top in the caution area any other judge when setting a deadline stick to it and tell the defense tough poopy if they miss and or ignore it. IMO I believe the DT only wants to have no live feed in the trial to punish CMJA for all of her press tours they know she loves the camera and seeing how she has not listened to anything they say it is a way to stop her from enjoying herself in court.

After watching bits and pieces of ALV's interview I have to agree with some posters that it looks like a last ditch effort to help CMJA and of course herself. It's interesting to me that she found the messages on the internet to be so full of hate toward her and CMJA but fails to see the hateful way she tried to paint the VICTIM in the trial.

She was astonished that someone would wish that she would get hit with a bat or choke on a chicken bone. I wonder if she would have felt worse if someone had wished that she had been stabbed 27 times, had her throat slit, shot her, and left her naked in a shower stall to rot for a week before being found. She was shocked that people could harbor such hate without knowing someone. Yet, she forgets that the public had the chance to get to know both her and CMJA much better than she herself got to know Travis.

I abhor that people would send death threats to her, I really do. But she obviously doesn't realize that the opinions she espouses have a great impact on those she speaks against. It leaves me sad for those she has spoken against in court knowing how she seems so capable of seeing only one side of an issue. This would have been her perfect opportunity to state that Travis didn't deserve to die in the manner he did, but instead she held firm on the notion that she and CMJA were being unfairly judged. (Unless I haven't seen the whole interview.)

Unlike CMJA ALV did have real tears. But totally like CMJA they were all for herself. JMO

I wish for the sake of the family this could be over. But if it takes more time to get this right, so be it. This is about justice, not our viewing pleasure. And sometimes the wheels of justice turn slowly. CMJA isn't going anywhere so I can wait. She's the one that lives with the anxiety of facing Juan again if she testifies, so let her stew. And if ALV had told the whole truth, she wouldn't have had problems with anxiety.

Rant over. Thanks....MOO

Very well said.

I think what people have said and done to ALV is really, really terrible. It disgusts me. I wish that Travis' supporters would comport themselves better because with guys like Keifer and Rowlands out there (who are both in the DT's pocket, who whom they use to get this farce out there they can't find witnesses for Jodi because they are scared), people should be more careful, because they are obviously the ones that are speaking the loudest.

But I really wish ALV would just understand. Understand WHY people are so angry. She took very sparse evidence and the shaky word of a liar and painted a man she has not even met as an absolute evil person. This man that everyone who knew him talks about with the utmost praise and respect and admiration. Deanna Reid, who she tried to misrepresent to the jury as being one of Travis' abuse victims, thinks the world of him and still does to this day. Same with Lisa Andrews. She tried to misrepresent an email chain from the Hughes' to convince the world that Travis was an abuser. They themselves explained the emails but she is probably stuck in her opinions. She was manipulative and misleading, all because she believes all women must have been abused. Even if she knows she is lying and Jodi is lying, she just had to advocate. I agree with earlier posts: it is no coincidence that this interview is coming out now, and with Ted Rowlands of all people.

Nope. I don't think this defense team and their cohorts are in any way ethical or doing their jobs in an ethical manner. And that is just my opinion and it is my right to feel that way. And I am not basing this opinion on just this last incident. And it is not that I do not understand how the law works and how defending defendants works. I have watched enough trials to know when someone is behaving in an unethical way. They have a consistent pattern of unethical behavior, starting with Nurmi convincing Jodi to change her story so he could defend her better. All of this has left me in a depressive funk. The world had gone mad.

Very well said.

I think what people have said and done to ALV is really, really terrible. It disgusts me. I wish that Travis' supporters would comport themselves better because with guys like Keifer and Rowlands out there (who are both in the DT's pocket, who whom they use to get this farce out there they can't find witnesses for Jodi because they are scared), people should be more careful, because they are obviously the ones that are speaking the loudest.

But I really wish ALV would just understand. Understand WHY people are so angry. She took very sparse evidence and the shaky word of a liar and painted a man she has not even met as an absolute evil person. This man that everyone who knew him talks about with the utmost praise and respect and admiration. Deanna Reid, who she tried to misrepresent to the jury as being one of Travis' abuse victims, thinks the world of him and still does to this day. Same with Lisa Andrews. She tried to misrepresent an email chain from the Hughes' to convince the world that Travis was an abuser. They themselves explained the emails but she is probably stuck in her opinions. She was manipulative and misleading, all because she believes all women must have been abused. Even if she knows she is lying and Jodi is lying, she just had to advocate. I agree with earlier posts: it is no coincidence that this interview is coming out now, and with Ted Rowlands of all people.

Nope. I don't think this defense team and their cohorts are in any way ethical or doing their jobs in an ethical manner. And that is just my opinion and it is my right to feel that way. And I am not basing this opinion on just this last incident. And it is not that I do not understand how the law works and how defending defendants works. I have watched enough trials to know when someone is behaving in an unethical way. They have a consistent pattern of unethical behavior, starting with Nurmi convincing Jodi to change her story so he could defend her better. All of this has left me in a depressive funk. The world had gone mad.

I agree with everything you've said MeeBee. And I think the tactics of the defense have really sucked throughout the trial. Unfortunately, I think it happens all the time.

I caught a little today about the trial of the three boys that shot the baby and the defense in that case is trying to make it look like the mother was complicit. It's sickening!

Anyway, I don't think there's any way CMJA can claim incompetent counsel. They have sold their souls for this devil IMO.

Jodi knew Travis for 1.5 years! There is no cycle of abuse and there is no self-defense. Jodi chose to drive there with her grandparent's stolen handgun. Does ALV not understand what premeditation is?

I was also thinking about those texts and how pissed I am that this is her evidence of abuse and that the foreman bought that this is abuse.

Yes, if you look out of context, it can look like Travis was just over the top angry and mean and Jodi was just the poor little thing who is trying to defuse the situation by calming him down. She decided that this was abuse without looking outside the texts.

It's pretty clear that Travis is at his wits end pissed at something Jodi had done to him and Jodi is gaslighting - trying to make Travis even angrier by minimizing his feelings and playing innocent. Try to make him feel like he's the crazy one and is overreacting. That is the sociopath's hallmark. It's a game to them. It's funny to them. That is a form of emotional abuse, by the way. And of course ALV wouldn't get that because it's obvious she does this to men in her men's groups and was doing it to Juan Martinez.

She does not even consider that Travis was justified in his anger and had never talked to anyone that way before. Anywhere.

Ugh!

I just don't like her.

Jodi knew Travis for 1.5 years! There is no cycle of abuse and there is no self-defense. Jodi chose to drive there with her grandparent's stolen handgun. Does ALV not understand what premeditation is?

It's really silly. She also tried to misrepresent the importance of Jodi's relationship with Travis, acting as though that was the longest he'd been with anyone and the most intimate he'd been with anyone...save for Deanna Reid, who he'd been with for 7 years and who he was deeply in love with.

Jodi lived out of state. Travis was not going to see her at all. She drove to him. She rationalizes even the most out of whack things. She says Jodi continues to go back to her abuser because that is the cycle, but can't wrap her head around the fact that this is exactly what happened to Travis. Oh, it's different with stalkers.

That explains everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member