3 year-old Kicked Off Plane After Tantrum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One swat on the backside after having removed a child from a public place for having a temper tantrum is not violence or abusive.

This is just a personal observation and question:
Why is it that the kids I see throwing tantrums AND hitting their parents are the ones who aren't spanked? I've read the research--it makes sense that spanking would teach hitting, but it isn't what I see.

(Don't hurt me!) :truce:

julianne said:
Well, my kids are FAR from perfect, and have certainly thrown their own fair amount of tantrums, however NEVER have they struck me or even attempted to strike me or my DH. Seriously, not once---and I have 3 kids.

:clap: :clap: My kids are not perfect either and have also thrown their share of tantrums but neither one has ever struck their daddy or me. EVER.

The airlines did the right thing. Heck, if it was us we would have gladly left just out of embarrassment alone.

If it is true that she had bad ear pain then they should have given her something to either deal with that pain or to help her sleep. Even our pediatrician recommended giving a little Benadryl to help our kids sleep and that was just for a long car trip.

Hmm... free tickets for the whole family AND reimbursement for their tickets. What airline was that again and do they have a website? :)

Ditto to everything the poster Details said above.

The airline did the right thing... and the reason the child was out of control is irrelevant. A plane should never take off with any passenger out of control, even if that passenger is a 3 year old. Parents with small children are allowed to pre-board for the sole purpose of having more time to get themselves and their child situated. Not only did these parents have plenty of time to address their daughter's issues while the other passengers were boarding, but they were also allowed an additional 15 minutes. Those additional minutes were a courtesy extended by the airline, not a right.

Requesting more time is selfish and an infringement on other paying passengers level of comfort Due to the 15 mintues already spent, connecting flights could be delayed or even missed altogether, additional cost for extra jet fuel will be accrued as as the pilots try to make up for lost time so that their on-time records aren't affected. Some pilots get paid based on their on-time performance. Airlines have a business to run and everything that they did to accommodate these parents was acceptable IMHO.

The fact that the child experienced ear pain during a previous flight and feared similar pain is understandable and I can sympathize with the parents of a fearful, crying, fidgety, uncomfortable child. I cannot however sympathize with the parents of a poorly parented child who is out of control because they haven't learned boundaries or had discipline instilled in them, and not by the use of spanking either. These parents neglected to have any forethought. They obviously knew their child had ear pain and should have been prepared to alleviate it on the return flight home should it reoccur. The child should have felt reassured of this and had her fears alleviated before even setting her tiny foot on that plane. If they didn't do this then it was neglect and a form of child abuse on their part IMHO. As a parent you prepare for everything, that is your job, it's just like having band-aids in your purse.

I also agree that the word brat or heathen or anything of the like is a name that shames the parents, not the child. Brats aren't born, they're made. This entire situation says poor parenting skills IMHO.

IrishMist said:
I wonder what they did to enable the child to fly home the next day.

Hmmm... that's a VERY good question. :waitasec:

Probably the kid just calmed down.

The rule of thumb is that benadryl works wonders for young children that fly but are roudy or troublemakers.

The bottom line is that we in America have completely lost our ability to say "well, you know....that circumstance just sucks". It has to be SOMEONE's fault.

If it were me, I would have asked the stewardess if they could help us get the next flight and removed myself and this child from the plane.

Cal

MSNBC just had a big story on this--Its the first time I've seen the little tyke in question--she is so cute, looks like a little angel--But i still believe the airline did the right thing--there's enough delays out there as it is

I am sure she is cute....this goes back to the new American philosophy that bad things happen but it must be someone's fault.

Why would you as the parent expect that the entire place load of people be delayed further and possibly make people miss connections because your child is being rowdy?

Sorry, but this may have been no one's fault. Just a circumstance that happens and something you get over and move on...thanking the airline for the two free tickets.

They are looking for cha ching, I think.

Cal

Pandora said:
Why is it that the kids I see throwing tantrums AND hitting their parents are the ones who aren't spanked? I've read the research--it makes sense that spanking would teach hitting, but it isn't what I see.

Excellent question. I've observed the same thing.

Pandora said:

I haven't seen it enough to be sure, but the child in my class (age 3) who went after my coteacher with a pair of scissors is a perfect example. Her mother's reaction? She is looking for attention, and we just needed to give her more love and reassurance. She never said one word to her daughter about it! That one had my attention all right...I never turned my back on her again. She hit, bit, and injured multiple children over the school year, and the parents never did anything but talk. UGH!

angelmom said:
I haven't seen it enough to be sure, but the child in my class (age 3) who went after my coteacher with a pair of scissors is a perfect example. Her mother's reaction? She is looking for attention, and we just needed to give her more love and reassurance. She never said one word to her daughter about it! That one had my attention all right...I never turned my back on her again. She hit, bit, and injured multiple children over the school year, and the parents never did anything but talk. UGH!

Just wait until this little demon gets her a$$ beat by some kid who's not gonna take her crap.

ETA: angelmom, perhaps you should request that this kid be removed from the class...period. You shouldn't have to fear for your safety nor for the safety of the other children just because you have the Bride of Chucky in your class.

Daisy said:
Just wait until this little demon gets her a$$ beat by some kid who's not gonna take her crap.

ETA: angelmom, perhaps you should request that this kid be removed from the class...period. You shouldn't have to fear for your safety nor for the safety of the other children just because you have the Bride of Chucky in your class.

Hi Daisy! How are ya? :blowkiss: I agree, what goes around comes around, no matter what your parents do (or don't do)! Students often threaten to sue teachers but you don't hear that on the playground. Kids who are allowed to makes spectacles of themselves will eventually feel the pain. We don't do them any good by allowing that kind of behavior - mama and daddy won't always be there.

Eve

Cypros said:
I think the airline went far beyond what was necessary to compensate this family and I am annoyed with their lack of gratitude. If I had been in charge I would have offered the family seats on the next available flight IF the child is calmed down and ready to fly by then. I would have also offered them food voucher so they could take the little girl to the airport McDonald's and fill her up with heavy foods in the hopes that she would be sound asleep for the next flight. I don't see any need to offer them free tickets but I understand the airline's desire to overcompensate -- it is good business.
I too think the airlines overcompensated these parents. This could send some jerk looking for a free ride the wrong idea. Just have your kid act up, get reimbursed and free tickets. Most three yr olds are old enough to reason w/. My dd was 3 1/2 on her first flight and was told ahead of time what would be expected of her. She had a goodie bag and couldn't wait to get her little candy smarties unwrapped so that she could count them before eating them. A child can be taught at a very early age, much younger than three, that hitting is not acceptable behavior and won't be tolerated. If this little girl had some condition like asperger's, or was autistic, she shouldn't have been flying in the first place. Next time, for the consideration of others, the parents should consider taking a few extra days to plan to drive to the grandparents, or maybe the grandparents can visit them.

I flew with a 3 year old once. He was a perfect little gentleman. My son. He sat in his seat and made goo-goo eyes at the flight attendants. He waved at them and smiled when they passed. He got his wings and some toy airplanes to play with. He was so excited and just had to look out the window and comment on what he saw.

Had he ever been "paddled"? Sure had. I had given him a swat or two when he was in danger of seriously hurting himself. Once in the kitchen near the stove and once when he went to grab something off the coffee table that would have broken and seriously cut him. It definitely got his attention. It was followed with a strong NO and an explanation why. Oh and once when he tried to run into the street. My son was never beaten, as in abuse, but those little swats (over thick diapers, I might add) never caused any physical or mental pain. They did serve as great attention getters. I could take my sons anywhere without hesitation. Never had trouble in restaurants either. They just behaved in public.

Allowing tantrums to continue is beyond me. A child hitting a parent is totally alien to me. We have gotten to the point that children are running some parents lives. They have no skills to control their kids. I didn't go to special parenting classes. I had my first at 20. I was young, but being brought up responsibly by my own parents, I used instinct and my own childhood behavior as guidelines.

I do know what it's like sitting in an airplane with a screaming, kicking child in the seat behind you. Thankfully, it was a relatively short flight. I also know what it was like to get pain in your ears. I flew to Florida once with a cold. On the descent my ears plugged and became quite painful. It made the landing seem as if it would never end. I tried yawning, chewing gum, but nothing worked. As soon as we landed it went away. It was the change in cabin pressure.

BarnGoddess said:
I flew with a 3 year old once. He was a perfect little gentleman. My son. He sat in his seat and made goo-goo eyes at the flight attendants. He waved at them and smiled when they passed. He got his wings and some toy airplanes to play with. He was so excited and just had to look out the window and comment on what he saw.

Had he ever been "paddled"? Sure had. I had given him a swat or two when he was in danger of seriously hurting himself. Once in the kitchen near the stove and once when he went to grab something off the coffee table that would have broken and seriously cut him. It definitely got his attention. It was followed with a strong NO and an explanation why. Oh and once when he tried to run into the street. My son was never beaten, as in abuse, but those little swats (over thick diapers, I might add) never caused any physical or mental pain. They did serve as great attention getters. I could take my sons anywhere without hesitation. Never had trouble in restaurants either. They just behaved in public.

Allowing tantrums to continue is beyond me. A child hitting a parent is totally alien to me. We have gotten to the point that children are running some parents lives. They have no skills to control their kids. I didn't go to special parenting classes. I had my first at 20. I was young, but being brought up responsibly by my own parents, I used instinct and my own childhood behavior as guidelines.

I do know what it's like sitting in an airplane with a screaming, kicking child in the seat behind you. Thankfully, it was a relatively short flight. I also know what it was like to get pain in your ears. I flew to Florida once with a cold. On the descent my ears plugged and became quite painful. It made the landing seem as if it would never end. I tried yawning, chewing gum, but nothing worked. As soon as we landed it went away. It was the change in cabin pressure.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice post!!!

I just had a couple of girls over spending the nite with my two this last weekend. Their mom is going through a divorce and the kids are especially insubordinate. She is always yelling at them "You better stop or I'm gonna whip your butt". I want to tell her to stop threatening it and do it. The 13 year old is always giving her mom these dirty looks and backtalk and pushing all the buttons. I asked my 11 year old if she thinks the way they are treating their mom is right and what does she think they deserve. She agrees- "stop threatening and do something". This little 13 year old girl is going to be impossible to handle before ya know it; it will spill over to disrespect for everyone she meets. She gets hugs and love from her momma too.

I really want to limit my kids from spending much time with those two girls. I feel bad because I know that the divorce is taking it's toll-but geeez! get the kids some counseling is all your gonna do is yell and argue with them.

I just saw an interview w/ the parents on Fox News. As the mother is saying how humiliating it was, the little girl is climbing up behind her on the couch. From what I saw, that little girl lacks discipline.

I'm sure if the child had Asperger's or was autistic, it would have been mentioned somewhere (unless it's not already diagnosed.)

I too believe that the airline did the right thing. As others have said, her age does not matter; anyone who is creating a disturbance should be ejected. It's sad and it might just be the area I live in for whatever reason but I swear, when I am out in public, of 10 children I see (under the age of 8 I guess), I seem to see 7 misbehaving. Most of the time, the parents do not even seem to want to be firm about it. I see a lot of, "Aww, sweetie, stop, it's okay. If you stop crying, mommy will go buy you some ice cream, would you like that??" *boggle**brain breaks*

My husband and I went to a diner the other morning for breakfast. There was a boy, I'd guess about 4 or 5. He was SCREAMING. I don't mean just a few screams; this kid could hold his screetch longer than Pavarotti I think! People were getting really uncomfortable and I guess a few looked because then I heard the father yell at the top of HIS lungs, "It's okay, Tommy. Keep screaming. We're not at the f'ing Hilton." I'm sorry- bad behavior is excusable if you're in a diner and not out at the Ritz-Carlton??? *boggle* *brain breaks*

Melisinde said:
"It's okay, Tommy. Keep screaming. We're not at the f'ing Hilton." I'm sorry- bad behavior is excusable if you're in a diner and not out at the Ritz-Carlton??? *boggle* *brain breaks*

Only a matter of time before dad is bailing Tommy out of jail. :rolleyes:

Melisinde said:
My husband and I went to a diner the other morning for breakfast. There was a boy, I'd guess about 4 or 5. He was SCREAMING. I don't mean just a few screams; this kid could hold his screetch longer than Pavarotti I think! People were getting really uncomfortable and I guess a few looked because then I heard the father yell at the top of HIS lungs, "It's okay, Tommy. Keep screaming. We're not at the f'ing Hilton." I'm sorry- bad behavior is excusable if you're in a diner and not out at the Ritz-Carlton??? *boggle* *brain breaks*

OMG!!! That would have ticked me off! I probably would have turned to the kid and said "with a father like yours, I'd be screaming too." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust
Back